• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox boss Phil Spencer asks fans not to "weaponise" games for "battles between platforms"

NickFire

Can you find an example where Spencer has been hypocritical in comparison to the statement he made here? He's basically saying he doesn't think that gamers should run down the work of creators as part of a platform war, can you provide an example of Spencer running down a first-party release from Nintendo or Sony?
This was in the OP.

"I think it's very often that creations can be kind of weaponised and used in battles between platforms and other things," Spencer said.

Last edited:

splattered

This guy?

But nobody in here ever said Sony has never done stuff like this.
Someone said that specific guy didn't do that...when he does.

That's not comparable with what you're doing here.
The one example you gave from 2010 sure, but that was very old.. the others shown are more a celebration of the brand not a knock against playstation. Aaron even said "if you can get past the headline" because it was negative click baity but he thought the article itself was well articulated showing the value of what Xbox is doing.

I never said "sony does this but xbox doesn't", they have both done this in the past but are much better in recent years. I just think it's funny that some people hold on so hard to old narratives that don't really fit the current landscape.

*And i mean to add to this... just look at how both Sony and Microsoft execs and leaders are more supportive of each other celebrating each others' successes etc. At this point it's more sad fan boys on the playground acting like children as if they are accomplishing... anything? It's just sad.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

This was in the OP.

"I think it's very often that creations can be kind of weaponised and used in battles between platforms and other things," Spencer said.

Right. Meaning that gamers weaponize games, typically by downing those not on their platform of choice (often quite viciously) and overly praising those that are.

DaGwaphics

Okay… I love this one from Greenberg’s greatest hits. Aged like milk.

Notice he isn't negative towards any of those titles. In fact the comparison was built on the fact that those were well regarded titles which creates the wow factor. He could have listed 5 or 6 indie games that sold 10 copies each, but that wouldn't have meant much for highlighting the success of Halo 3.

NickFire

Right. Meaning that gamers weaponize games, typically by downing those not on their platform of choice (often quite viciously) and overly praising those that are.
That's a perfectly reasonable way to interpret it. It is also perfectly reasonable to look at the exact words he used and have a chuckle, as the guy saying those words literally weaponizes those same creations in a battle between his company and another.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It might be easier if you go a bit further back for a twitter post, like perhaps to the start of time? 12 years just doesn't seem like enough.

1s2jpv.jpg

this motherfucker !

NickFire

1s2jpv.jpg

this motherfucker !
Dude the trolling is obvious, but fabricating quotes I never said is something else.

Edit: Why is my name in green in his actual post with a fake quote, but it doesn't appear in this reply? If I scroll to your post, he is quoting me with a fake quote on my screen. But in this reply the fake quote is gone, even though it still appears directly above?

Last edited:
That's a perfectly reasonable way to interpret it. It is also perfectly reasonable to look at the exact words he used and have a chuckle, as the guy saying those words literally weaponizes those same creations in a battle between his company and another.
He was accepting a lifetime achievement award, and gave an acceptance speech to his peers saying that he hopes people can be excited about all games, regardless of platform and he hopes that all of us collectively can start respecting creators who create the media we all enjoy.

That hypocritical monster.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
I know people are overreacting but I remember the “we will kill Sony” comment! And I can go on.

There’s a reason why Shu stopped replying to people on Twitter…the toxic Sony fans were tying to engage him! Shu stopped tweeting.
The Xbox executives did not! They still do likes on the Xbox warriors tweets.

oldergamer

I know people are overreacting but I remember the “we will kill Sony” comment! And I can go on.

There’s a reason why Shu stopped replying to people on Twitter…the toxic Sony fans were tying to engage him! Shu stopped tweeting.
The Xbox executives did not! They still do likes on the Xbox warriors tweets.
What are you talking about? when did they say they will kill sony? are these more quotes from a decade ago?

Jaybe

Notice he isn't negative towards any of those titles. In fact the comparison was built on the fact that those were well regarded titles which creates the wow factor. He could have listed 5 or 6 indie games that sold 10 copies each, but that wouldn't have meant much for highlighting the success of Halo 3.
I got some land in Florida to sell you if that was your take

Jaybe

It might be easier if you go a bit further back for a twitter post, like perhaps to the start of time? 12 years just doesn't seem like enough.
Just shows how long lasting Greenberg’s console toxicity has been. Plus it’s a wonderful snapshot of how far Halo as a franchise has withered relative to the likes of GOW and Uncharted.

DaGwaphics

I got some land in Florida to sell you if that was your take

It's the only take anyone could have there. When marketers contrast a competitor in this context they do it from the perspective of product X is good but we are even better. That's why the #2 selling family sedan will market "ABC say our sedan is even better than insert #1 selling sedan name here" You'll rarely see a comparison to the worst selling and poorest received competitor. It's basic common sense. The idea was that those games were popular, but Halo 3 is that much more popular. You don't make a comparison to a bunch of duds that weren't respected.

Jaybe

It's the only take anyone could have there. When marketers contrast a competitor in this context they do it from the perspective of product X is good but we are even better. That's why the #2 selling family sedan will market "ABC say our sedan is even better than insert #1 selling sedan name here" You'll rarely see a comparison to the worst selling and poorest received competitor. It's basic common sense. The idea was that those games were popular, but Halo 3 is that much more popular. You don't make a comparison to a bunch of duds that weren't respected.
You actually don’t reference competitors in marketing. You say, “best selling in X category”, “cleans better than leading whatever”, or “Xbox’s fastest selling new IP”, “most players of any Forza title in first week”. Direct competitor mention by name in a public space is rare as it’s seen as tactless.

iHaunter

I love how calculated Phil is. He feigns "Pro Gamer" but really is just deflecting the incredibly mediocre Xbox release schedule/reception. He doesn't want it weaponized because at the moment a majority of it is going toward his brand. He most likely got stock option deals with his promotion so it's not surprising. I really do not like him at all.

Last edited:
I love how calculated Phil is. He feigns "Pro Gamer" but really is just deflecting the incredibly mediocre Xbox release schedule/reception. He doesn't want it weaponized because at the moment a majority of it is going toward his brand. He most likely got stock options deals with his promotion so it's not surprising. I really do not like him at all.
This is going to blow your mind. But I think two things were happening at the same time with no relation.
  • Playstation is having a strong 2022 with lots of fun games.
  • Phil is giving an extremely inoffensive and uncontroversial speech while accepting a lifetime achievement award, where he compliments all his peers and wishes them well.

DaGwaphics

You actually don’t reference competitors in marketing. You say, “best selling in X category”, “cleans better than leading whatever”, or “Xbox’s fastest selling new IP”, “most players of any Forza title in first week”. Direct competitor mention by name in a public space is rare as it’s seen as tactless.

Depends on where you are from, in the states it is quite common. Not a lot of family sedan ads here that don't reference Camry by name, as it is seen as the gold standard in that area. Truck ads will also typically reference each other directly. It's done from a position of respect though, no one is comparing themselves to a jalopy.

Last edited:

iHaunter

This is going to blow your mind. But I think two things were happening at the same time with no relation.
  • Playstation is having a strong 2022 with lots of fun games.
  • Phil is giving an extremely inoffensive and uncontroversial speech while accepting a lifetime achievement award, where he compliments all his peers and wishes them well.
It's possible, I definitely cannot say it's not. Just saying he has far more to gain from the latter and I believe that was part of his calculation.

I don't mind people comparing the consoles/games, as long as it's with civil discourse.

Last edited:
NOPE!!!

We fanboys gonna fanboys!! 😡😡😡

We’re the ones spending money, we are paying for your products, we’re basically paying your salary!! We’re gonna speak as we please, we gonna cheer our platform as we please, we gonna laugh at our competitor platforms as we please, because it’s our goddamn money, our goddamn time and it’s our goddamn mind

Phil, STFU and make some fun games!!!

Last edited:
I mean, I agree with that, but he should really tell this to certain games journalists and reviewers, who seem to conveniently change their own logic between reviews just days apart, and some then going to Twitter to post inflammatory memes and quotes that only fuel console warring conveniently directed at only one side.

Aren't they supposed to be setting the standard for behavior? Well, they're failing. So please Phil, do also tell this to those particular journalists and reviewers who seem to need a good reminder 👍

And Phil goes on Podcasts of some of the very biggest Xbox warriors that constantly slam PS

Phil Spencer hasn't done that much tbh. He tends to stick with professional outlets and at most has done appearances on Major Nelson podcasts and maybe IGN's, which are rather tame.

Aaron, OTOH? Yeah, you can make a decent argument he's gone on some very opinionated/biased podcasts, a good handful of times, just over the past two years.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
What are you talking about? when did they say they will kill sony? are these more quotes from a decade ago? doesn’t matter how long it was, they done it.
What are you talking about? when did they say they will kill sony? are these more quotes from a decade ago?
Doesn’t matter if it’s a decade ago or recent ones. It was said by the same people still there! You can Google what they said and how they said it!

They engaged and fueled toxic brand loyalty for years…
It’s a fact!

oldergamer

Doesn’t matter if it’s a decade ago or recent ones. It was said by the same people still there! You can Google what they said and how they said it!

They engaged and fueled toxic brand loyalty for years…
It’s a fact!
That's garbage. of course it matters how long ago it was. So what if they did that in the past. spencer is talking about the now. You're acting like the console warriors he alluded to.

Zeroing

Banned
Seeing folks who have copped week long bans for console warring here go off on Greenberg will never not be funny.

I don't believe you're one to talk about 'toxic brand loyalty' here.
What? Am I famous here? Win!
All I do is make stupid jokes, not my fault you and company got offended!

200.gif

Zeroing

Banned
That's garbage. of course it matters how long ago it was. So what if they did that in the past. spencer is talking about the now. You're acting like the console warriors he alluded to.
Sometimes I wonder if people truly believe on what they are writing!! Ok sure you’re “right”
I don’t care, you won! Applause

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Doesn't his own employee, Greenberg or whatever do that.

Kinda hypocritical
Between him and other ppl that either work for MS, used to work for MS, or associate with MS thru social media., journalists that cover MS heavily, etc..pretty much.

Phil....its a lil too late for this. Shoulda had a talk with folks last gen and during the PS360Wii era.

Remember the months right before the consoles launched and after they launched?

Fun times.

How about stop associating with the insane toxic fanboys on social media, that would be a good start.

It should never be twisted when someone gives constructive criticism or is sincerely not impressed with what they offer , which it has in the past. Twisted into what he’s talking about by some and they know who they are.

Competition between platforms is a good thing , they should strive to be the best for our money. It’s something that should never evaporate and should never be aligned with the behaviour of a few people particularly those playing that game for attention and people’s money via YouTube and Patreon.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm confused here. How is an elden ring banner on twitter or a GT7 loading time comparison (to gt sport?) weaponising or antagonising?

The same way Aaron putting up an avatar of Crash after the acquisition is .. I guess ? reasons ?

Who knows, ask the users making the stupid assertion in the first place.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

The one example you gave from 2010 sure, but that was very old.. the others shown are more a celebration of the brand not a knock against playstation. Aaron even said "if you can get past the headline" because it was negative click baity but he thought the article itself was well articulated showing the value of what Xbox is doing.

I never said "sony does this but xbox doesn't", they have both done this in the past but are much better in recent years. I just think it's funny that some people hold on so hard to old narratives that don't really fit the current landscape.

*And i mean to add to this... just look at how both Sony and Microsoft execs and leaders are more supportive of each other celebrating each others' successes etc. At this point it's more sad fan boys on the playground acting like children as if they are accomplishing... anything? It's just sad.

This guy?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

This guy?
Thank you.

But of course its amazing some cant see some things for what they are.

And its not just him. A MS social media account even trying their best to have their used games video moment fell flat each time until they finally gave up. One was funny tho, lol.

Its looked kinda pathetic.

One Xbox Series controller tweet...again looked more like a 'hey, look at us. We're doing this over here.'

Maybe if they actually stopped trying to fan fanboy flames, their community would follow suit.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Top Bottom