• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Cloud Gaming now has over 10 million players

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
xbox-cloud-numbers.jpg

It’s no secret that Xbox Game Pass and Xbox Cloud Gaming are enjoying a period of success, but Microsoft is typically cagey over actual numbers. Especially for the cloud portion, with no sign of real data in the company’s most recent earnings report. But at Build, Microsoft’s annual developer conference, company CEO, Satya Nadella, casually declared over 10 million people are playing Xbox Cloud Gaming.

Cloud gaming is still very much in its infancy and Microsoft has been there since the early days. But with over 10 million players in 26 countries, the product formerly known as xCloud is clearly doing very well.

fortnite-xbox-cloud-2.jpg

The cloud library is constantly growing, too, and those who want to play on mobile devices can now enjoy a range of those titles with custom touch controls. The latest of those is Fortnite, which doesn’t even require an Xbox Game Pass subscription to play, it’s free to all. Nadella re-confirmed Xbox’s intention to add more titles in this vein to Xbox Cloud Gaming in the future. It would be good to see access to the cloud also continue to expand, given its popularity and Microsoft’s prowess in cloud computing.

HTK

Banned
Anyone know any success metrics? I mean doesn't PlayStation Plus now have over 40 million yearly subscribers? How does that compare? 10 million seems low, correct me if I'm wrong.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Anyone know any success metrics? I mean doesn't PlayStation Plus now have over 40 million yearly subscribers? How does that compare? 10 million seems low, correct me if I'm wrong.
Gamepass last announced 25 million subscribers (could have gone up, or down, since.)

This is not subscriber counts.. this is "10 million people at least launched the cloud beta and tried it."

Roughly 40% of those with GP subs tried a specific GP feature basically.

NickFire

I am an equal opportunity anti-cloudite and I I hope most of us can still agree that cloud gaming metrics are not for the enthusiasts to celebrate no matter who posts them.

Sorry for the word salad. The notion of an all cloud future just grinds my gears.

yurinka

It’s no secret that Xbox Game Pass and Xbox Cloud Gaming are enjoying a period of success, but Microsoft is typically cagey over actual numbers. Especially for the cloud portion, with no sign of real data in the company’s most recent earnings report. But at Build, Microsoft’s annual developer conference, company CEO, Satya Nadella, casually declared over 10 million people are playing Xbox Cloud Gaming.

Cloud gaming is still very much in its infancy and Microsoft has been there since the early days. But with over 10 million players in 26 countries, the product formerly known as xCloud is clearly doing very well.

The cloud library is constantly growing, too, and those who want to play on mobile devices can now enjoy a range of those titles with custom touch controls. The latest of those is Fortnite, which doesn’t even require an Xbox Game Pass subscription to play, it’s free to all. Nadella re-confirmed Xbox’s intention to add more titles in this vein to Xbox Cloud Gaming in the future. It would be good to see access to the cloud also continue to expand, given its popularity and Microsoft’s prowess in cloud computing.

[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]
Gamepass last announced 25 million subscribers (could have gone up, or down, since.)

This is not subscriber counts.. this is "10 million people at least launched the cloud beta and tried it."

Roughly 40% of those with GP subs tried a specific GP feature basically.
Notice that what Satya exactly says in the video is "More than 10 million players streamed games across 26 countries.", without specifying period of time. So pretty likely he means 10M players used it at least once since launch (very likely including beta) until now, instead of being 10M MAU (that would mean 10M players used it in the last month).

We know there are 25M subs of GP but we don't know the amount of them who have GPU and out of the ones who have, we don't know the amount of them who used cloud gaming in the last month.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Ah, so they do selectively announce numbers.

They’ve always announced MAUs or total players or total playtime.

Why didn’t you read the OP?
Doesn’t really make sense to compare cloud gaming with regular plus subscription

Last edited:
Extremely unimpressive. If 10m players are playing over the cloud and their last total number was 25m it means they are having a really hard time convincing even Xbox users to pay for Gamepass (not to mention PC players).

edit: 10m have tried it? wtf... that's even worse. Just another Stadia/PSNow then.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I have maybe 10 minutes invested into Xcloud I wonder how many more are like me
You beat me by about 5 minutes.

The 10 million number really in this case is not remotely useful to gauge anything.

But MS has that advantage as no investors are clamoring for more detail.. they kinda should be to be justifying things like the ACTI/BLIZZ purchase but don't really know any better I guess.

Plantoid

Good to play certain titles buy we are still some years away from playing fps there

I personally only played Jedi fallen order (almost to completion) and dragon age inquisition (4hours max)

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Extremely unimpressive. If 10m players are playing over the cloud and their last total number was 25m it means they are having a really hard time convincing even Xbox users to pay for Gamepass (not to mention PC players).

edit: 10m have tried it? wtf... that's even worse. Just another Stadia/PSNow then.
Nothing you said makes any sense.

Orbital2060

Ive used it a lot mostly for games that fit a handheld style well. Like Tunic and Nobody Saves The World and visual novels, turn based games like Slay the Spire. Spelunky 2. I prefer to play them on my phone with a controller instead of firing up the whole nuclear power plant to play them. Saves on energy too.

If I had an ipad a lot more games would be playable like Crusader Kings and Octopath but I cant read those on the phone. Guardians of the Galaxy works surprisingly well with the large font size so thats great.

It uses a lot of data though, on the last usage counter I had used around 70 GB to play maybe 20 hours over my mobile sub. At home Ive got unlimited data but a 100 GB cap on the mobile sub so I need to keep an eye on that. 3-5 GB per hour played.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Not my fault if you don't get it.
Well I didn't because you didn't make any sense. You have no idea what you are talking about.

If 10m players are playing over the cloud and their last total number was 25m it means they are having a really hard time convincing even Xbox users to pay for Gamepass (not to mention PC players).

They are having a hard time convincing 25 million Game Pass subscribers to pay for Game Pass because of beta cloud users?

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

Last edited:
I believe they employ the same method when calculating GP numbers. It's not 25 million concurrent subscribers, but 25 million who have tried it. I think someone highlighted that on reddit in the quarterly report.

How do posts like this slide by... It's literally 25 million individual game pass subscribers. Not people who have tried Game Pass. What in the fuck...

Kagey K

Banned
That Fortnite deal Is really paying off. Nice way to bring people into the game pass ultimate sub for the rest of the games.
The 10 million number was out there before the Fortnite deal. Not sure why it's just getting reported on now.

As an aside I started the Nonary games today on both my Xbox and xcloud and I think the touch controls on Xcloud are way more intuitive than the controller. Might be my preferred way to play that type of game.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Technically wise I think xCloud is the worst of every streaming service, and they just recently managed to get the service playable on iOS after so much time.

DavidGzz

If my IT guy would stop with the Sonic Wall BS I'd use it daily. The VPN I use gives me a server in another country so it's too laggy.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The 10 million number was out there before the Fortnite deal. Not sure why it's just getting reported on now.
I just looked it up and it looks like the 10 million number was being reported on April 26th, while Fortnite went free on xCloud on May 5th. Looks like you're correct.

10 million xCloud users pre-Fortnite deal is a huge amount, especially considering that you have to have Game Pass Ultimate to get xCloud.

ZywyPL

Banned
I've tried it a few times to try out some games I wasn't sure about, but honestly with 1Gbit/s internet I just prefer to download games in no time and play locally.

It does however work pretty neat, other than slight image quality loss and input lag I can easily see that this is the direction gaming will take in the future.

I've tried it a few times to try out some games I wasn't sure about, but honestly with 1Gbit/s internet I just prefer to download games in no time and play locally.

It does however work pretty neat, other than slight image quality loss and input lag I can easily see that this is the direction gaming will take in the future.
Yeah it's fine to try out a game to see if you like it but the quality (at least for me) is not there yet but maybe if I had really fast Internet it would be good enough?

Ozriel

M$FT

Logic truly suffers when it has to push through extreme spite. Because what is this logic? 😂😂😂

How does cloud usage translate to difficulty in converting xbox owners to Gamepass?

Ozriel

M$FT
Yeah it's fine to try out a game to see if you like it but the quality (at least for me) is not there yet but maybe if I had really fast Internet it would be good enough?

For people with physical consoles, the ideal use case would be remote play when you’re out and about.

I think most people don’t mind a slight hit to quality as along as it guarantees convenience. Steam deck comes to mind…folks with major gaming PCs posting actively about playing at medium or low settings.

acm2000

I’d be more interested to see how many people have used it for over 30 hours or have completed a single game from start to finish using xCloud.
i use it on my nvidia shield tv, played through many games and it works great but i just wish they would bump the android app up to 1080p tho.

i have 300/900 fibre so i guess that helps.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

That's an interesting point, except for mobility why would someone with a decent enough connexion chose cloud instead of download.
Especially with how fast these consoles SSD are you can delete and download so fast, I remember download Demon's souls in like 5 min...And it was the full download not just until the you "can now play part".As of now for most games you can start the download, go take a drink or have a piss and you can already play the game.
Last gen I was mostly physical games but this gen digital swooped me away with how convenient it now is.At first I thought maybe I'd use cloud if I run out of storage space but since I can delete and download so fast there's no point keeping games now.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Technically wise I think xCloud is the worst of every streaming service, and they just recently managed to get the service playable on iOS after so much time.
from my experience xCloud was fine except it had some small lag. it was fine for some games but i could feel the delay. Not sure what it's like now but I might give it another try. PS Now was probably the best because in terms of both visuals/response it felt no different from playing locally.

i wouldn't say xCloud is the worst though. that goes to GeForce Now. that shit was straight up impossible to play. It looked awful and the lag was insane. Even Stadia was better than that.

Last edited:
I played through half of Halo Infinite with xCloud (yes yes, I know... disgusting!). Has made a big difference when travelling for work. Fire up the laptop, grab my Xbox controller and let's go (provided hotel WiFi isn't complete shit).

Most of the time it's used to boot up some game I'd never bother downloading though, like Farming Simulator... yeah. 10 mins tops and I'm out.

I’d be more interested to see how many people have used it for over 30 hours or have completed a single game from start to finish using xCloud.
I appreciate my ability to dip my toe in basically for free and not worry about it when I have a more stable set up. The flexibility is what is interesting for me.

If people decide to buy cloud sticks, then you'll know your answer on that one.

Top Bottom