• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Cloud Gaming: Now Running on Xbox Series X; Expanded PC and Apple Device Availability

Topher

Gold Member
At Xbox, our mission is simple: bring the joy and community of gaming to everyone on the planet. To achieve that, we aspire to empower everyone to play the games you want, with the people you want, anywhere you want.

We are creating a future that combines the gaming heritage of Xbox and the power of Azure. A future where we bring high fidelity, immersive games to the 3 billion players around the world. Now we’re taking a big step forward to reaching that vision: Starting today, Xbox Cloud Gaming is available to all Xbox Game Pass Ultimate members with Windows 10 PCs and Apple phones and tablets, via browser, across 22 countries. If you’re a member or want to become a member, simply go to xbox.com/play on Microsoft Edge, Chrome, or Safari on your PC or mobile device to start playing hundreds of games from the Xbox Game Pass library.

With billions of active Windows 10 PCs, iOS devices and Android phones, we want you to have new opportunities to play the deepest, most immersive games whenever and wherever you choose. Simply put, we’re bringing the Xbox experience directly to the devices you use most.

We’re also making significant improvements to the overall experience: Xbox Cloud Gaming is now powered by custom Xbox Series X hardware. We’ve been upgrading Microsoft datacenters around the globe with the fastest, most powerful Xbox hardware to give you faster load times, improved frame rates, and an experience of a new generation of gaming. To ensure the lowest latency, highest quality experience across the broadest set of devices, we will be streaming at 1080p and up to 60fps. Going forward we’ll continue to innovate and add more features to enhance your cloud gaming experience.

Cloud gaming provides seamless play across your devices. When you’re streaming games on a PC or mobile device, your game is playing from Xbox hardware in a Microsoft datacenter. This means you can jump into a game, connect with your friends, and play through the Xbox network just as you’ve always done. That’s right, your game saves are just the same wherever and whenever you play, so you can pick right back up from where you left off.

So grab your PC and stream Outriders or Doom on your iPad using your saved game. Or, when you have a free half-hour, you can fire up xbox.com/play and get a game in on MLB The Show 21.

As we bring games to more devices, we’re also evolving how you can play your games. Today about one-in-six players who play from the cloud are exclusively using custom touch controls that are enabled for more than 50 games – one I personally love is Minecraft Dungeons. And of course, you can also play games from the cloud using a compatible Xbox Wireless Controller, or one of the many supported controllers and mobile gaming accessories, including the all-new Backbone One for iOS.

Today marks a key milestone in our journey to bring the Xbox experience to all gamers, and we can’t wait for you to begin playing. I remember about three years ago, the first time I picked up a phone and played a cloud game, using nothing but touch controls. It’s a moment I’ll never forget, where the beauty of the graphics mixed with the creativity of technology to create something truly magical. So, from Team Xbox to you, we hope you experience more joy and connection through gaming anywhere and everywhere.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/06/28/xbox-cloud-gaming-now-running-on-xbox-series-x/

Happy Astral Projection GIF by Trippyogi
bother mother nature GIF by joonasjoonas

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
Awesome news but I would like them to clarify when xcloud will be a thing in south America. I'd love to play some 360 and OG titles on PC.

Reactions: JLB

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Oh cmon, support for my big iPad Pro so I can catch up on Microsoft studio games while I am supposed to be working please.

Utherellus

Some games feel almost native... And my country is not even remotely supported (vpn)

But do you know what's the craziest part?

You can upload your x360 Banjoo Kazooie save game to cloud and resume playing it on Xcloud, running on your phone, powered with SeriesX.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Thread title had me confused, reads like you can now stream games via xcloud on the xsx, not that they upgraded the servers to series x hardware.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Why it does not work? It's from browser, so it should work by default...

It only just left beta on Safari on iPad and iPhone to my knowledge. Back when I tried the beta most games didn't work and it crashed a lot or just gave messages like "we're currently updating for this platform (sic)".

I'll give it a shot again later and see if it improved.

Spidey Fan

Banned
The fuck Microsoft. Chill out dude. If you keep doing this, I won't be able to own your console in the future. This is just spoiling at this point.

Like seriously, I can now play XSX games on cloud.

I guess switch is my next console now. With xcloud, I won't have a reason to own an xbox series console.

Its truly the Netflix and Chill of gaming.
Dog Reaction GIF

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The fuck Microsoft. Chill out dude. If you keep doing this, I won't be able to own your console in the future. This is just spoiling at this point.

Like seriously, I can now play XSX games on cloud.

I guess switch is my next console now. With xcloud, I won't have a reason to own an xbox series console.

Its truly the Netflix and Chill of gaming.
Dog Reaction GIF
Microsoft could care less about you owning an Xbox. Every indication is that they're losing money on the hardware anyway.

They want that $15 /month Game Pass Ultimate subscription that's required for you to use Xcloud.

Helghan

Checked it out by playing Carto. Worked pretty good, only 2 times that there was lag for a couple of seconds in a whole hour of playing. Obviously Carto isn't a game that needs instant input from the player, but i can't imagine the service having issues with racing games or FPS. As long as your internet is stable.

Just tried playing Halo MCC and Forza Horizon 4. Neither were good experiences for me personally but maybe my PC was updating a game or something. I'll try it again.

Edit: Alright I tried it on my PC with wired connection, and it was just as bad as on my iPad.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
Microsoft could care less about you owning an Xbox. Every indication is that they're losing money on the hardware anyway.

They want that $15 /month Game Pass Ultimate subscription that's required for you to use Xcloud.
Hardware is always a lost money. The XSX is much more powerful than ps5, but because of that, the cost of the hardware is expensive. Its like making 1000-1500 pc game. But without those useless extra pc parts. Multiply that by 10m console. That is alot of money lost making those consoles.

Same thing is happening to ps5. They will make profit, but not right now.

Both of them sees money from software sales.

And like you said, Microsoft is focusing on that 15$ more than their software sales. Because that 15$ is a recurring revenue. Just like how ps+ is a recurring revenue for Sony.

Sony case has 48m ps+ subs, that is $480m a month or $5.7 billion for them. Same thing is happening for xbox, plus the xbox live revenue too. Psnow revenue for Sony is at a slow rate, 360 million a year for psnow.

The future is now a subscription for these companies. Sony and Nintendo will join them, once gamepass takes off.

Anyone who is thinking they wont do this, has 0 idea how business is being conducted

Murdoch

Such a shame that this service isn't fantastic on my connection

As someone who is really open to cloud platforms and plays on Stadia regularly I'm gutted this service doesn't work at all well for me in shooting and driving games.

Slower top down games are passable however.

reinking

Gold Member
You know what I experience when I try a streaming service? So far, Luna and xCloud? It is "pretty good" sometimes. I see a lot of that same experience from others. "Pretty good" is not going to kill consoles and probably not going to cut it long term. It is good for a gimmick but no way I am selling my consoles any time soon.

Topher

Gold Member
So paid my dollar and got access to xCloud. Fired up Forza Horizon 4 on my iPad. And......

Cbs No GIF by HULU
Season 4 No GIF

Not ready for a racer like Forza 4 yet by any stretch. Image quality is fine. Lag is not. Driving is like someone packed the trunk of my $500k sports car with lead. Even selecting a car in the menu to drive has this delay between button press and selection change on the screen.

Having said that, a tactical RPG like Wastelands 3 would be a much better experience than racers, shooters, or anything that requires quick reactions. Yakuza: Like a Dragon would also probably work ok. I've got a month with the service so interested to try out some other games.

So paid my dollar and got access to xCloud. Fired up Forza Horizon 4 on my iPad. And......

Cbs No GIF by HULU
Season 4 No GIF

Not ready for a racer like Forza 4 yet by any stretch. Image quality is fine. Lag is not. Driving is like someone packed the trunk of my $500k sports car with lead. Even selecting a car in the menu to drive has this delay between button press and selection change on the screen.

Having said that, a tactical RPG like Wastelands 3 would be a much better experience than racers, shooters, or anything that requires quick reactions. Yakuza: Like a Dragon would also probably work ok. I've got a month with the service so interested to try out some other games.
Is it as bad as playing Rockband/Guitar hero on the first HDTV's, without calibrating the video to audio sync? Those were great times, and it felt like the latency magically went away the more drunk we'd get.

Tygeezy

You're probably adding at minimum 30 ms of latency between the actual network latency between the server and the host as well as the encoding and decoding latency. If the game is optimized for low latency this can be playable. It certainly wont be optimal for competitive games.

Dr Bass

This is cool and all, I just still don't get the use case.

Some of the people in that promo video are at work for crying out loud. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The next shot should be them playing while standing in the unemployment line.

Just wondering, does anyone here plan to make regular use of this over playing on their Xbox? I mean many hours a week? I think having the service on Switch could be an incredibly interesting partnership, but I don't know if Nintendo would go for it without a really fat check from MS.

elliot5

This is cool and all, I just still don't get the use case.

Some of the people in that promo video are at work for crying out loud. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The next shot should be them playing while standing in the unemployment line.

Just wondering, does anyone here plan to make regular use of this over playing on their Xbox? I mean many hours a week? I think having the service on Switch could be an incredibly interesting partnership, but I don't know if Nintendo would go for it without a really fat check from MS.
Being able to boot stuff up in a living room you doing have a console at. Playing games at a relatives house over the holidays. A quick break at work, at the airport, at the hotel.

People who want to play games like Starfield without wanting to shell out almost $600 all said and done and just want to pay $15. Kids who want to play Minecraft dungeons and whatnot on their iPads as well as console.

There's plenty of use cases.

dottme

Is there a way to test it before spending money? I’ve tried Stadia and it was really bad for me. So I would like to try first.

Dr Bass

Being able to boot stuff up in a living room you doing have a console at. Playing games at a relatives house over the holidays. A quick break at work, at the airport, at the hotel.

People who want to play games like Starfield without wanting to shell out almost $600 all said and done and just want to pay $15. Kids who want to play Minecraft dungeons and whatnot on their iPads as well as console.

There's plenty of use cases.

I think all of those use cases sound kinda silly to me, but hey, maybe I'm not the target market. Again, playing a video game at work = instant termination in my book. Playing games when visiting a relative? How about ... visit your relative.

Also, can't you already play Minecraft on iPad?

Again, I don't get wanting to play something like Starfield with no controller, additional latency, and on a tiny screen with bad sound.

It's free added value for GP so again, it's cool and all, but I still don't get it. All of the previous streaming services died for a reason, and I feel like it's just because, again, the use case isn't there and neither is the experience/performance. I'll be VERY curious to see what usage statistics are for this.

But like I said, it's free, and it's there and you can play the games natively if you want so it's not like you're losing anything by it existing. So not quite the same as Stadia and all the other precursors.
No, but the first month of GPU is 1 dollar, maybe you could try

First three years are 1 dollar total if you have already have Xbox Live paid up. Go do that. Heck, I plan on doing it myself shortly.

You're probably adding at minimum 30 ms of latency between the actual network latency between the server and the host as well as the encoding and decoding latency. If the game is optimized for low latency this can be playable. It certainly wont be optimal for competitive games.

Average ping to Aussie Apex Azure servers in Sydney is 28ms for me. Average ping to matches found in MCC is Aussie = 25ms and East Asia 90-120ms and US West 160ms. It sucks but it's not that different to most players around the world. I'm going to be checking it out with some FPS games and see what the latency is like.

My gut feel is it will be things like out and about having a quick game here or there or kids jumping on something when travelling etc. I'm interested to see how it goes. Overall having it as part of GP Ultimate and just there to play whereever and whenever is fucking incredible.

Awesome news but I would like them to clarify when xcloud will be a thing in south America. I'd love to play some 360 and OG titles on PC.

There is a list of regions supported right now with this announcement -

Xbox Supported Countries & Regions | Xbox

On the list are -
  • Argentina
  • Brazil
  • Chile
  • Colombia

JLB

Banned
Average ping to Aussie Apex Azure servers in Sydney is 28ms for me. Average ping to matches found in MCC is Aussie = 25ms and East Asia 90-120ms and US West 160ms. It sucks but it's not that different to most players around the world. I'm going to be checking it out with some FPS games and see what the latency is like.

My gut feel is it will be things like out and about having a quick game here or there or kids jumping on something when travelling etc. I'm interested to see how it goes. Overall having it as part of GP Ultimate and just there to play whereever and whenever is fucking incredible.

On the list are -
  • Argentina
  • Brazil
  • Chile
  • Colombia

wait watttttttt? vamo carajo

edit: Nah, xcloud is not available yet.

Last edited:

Rolla

Banned
I tried playing forza but lag killed the experience. Totally unplayable for me, I hope others fared better.

JLB

Banned

On the list are -
  • Argentina
  • Brazil
  • Chile
  • Colombia
nah.
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hungary
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Slovakia
  • Spain
  • South Korea
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom
  • United States

nah.
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hungary
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Slovakia
  • Spain
  • South Korea
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom
  • United States
I followed the link on the announcement. Apologises if I got that wrong mate.

Reactions: JLB
Top Bottom