• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Cloud Gaming: Now Running on Xbox Series X; Expanded PC and Apple Device Availability

Bragr

Banned
Tried some games, it's fine but more for something like iPad's and people with old PCs, as the quality is far behind standard PC play. Still really cool that they are rolling this out as part of Game Pass.

e&e

Banned
WqggLHH.jpg
The future 😂

got to admit it’s running a lot better now, though I lost sound when I left the web app 🤷‍♂️ But when it’s working it’s working good.
Written like someone without a Switch…

Also, wtf at that $100 Bluetooth controller. Was going to jump at $40 but nope.

And idk, it’s still laggy for me. Good on MS but still not ready for prime time…🤷🏾‍♂️ When it does, it will be a game changer!

Fuck yes. Since I don't have a console anymore, this will be my way of gaming. I have no money to buy these new machines.

Thank you microsoft.
nah.
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hungary
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Slovakia
  • Spain
  • South Korea
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom
  • United States
Uh so no Brazil yet. So I'll wait. :c

MScarpa

I think all of those use cases sound kinda silly to me, but hey, maybe I'm not the target market. Again, playing a video game at work = instant termination in my book. Playing games when visiting a relative? How about ... visit your relative.

Also, can't you already play Minecraft on iPad?

Again, I don't get wanting to play something like Starfield with no controller, additional latency, and on a tiny screen with bad sound.

It's free added value for GP so again, it's cool and all, but I still don't get it. All of the previous streaming services died for a reason, and I feel like it's just because, again, the use case isn't there and neither is the experience/performance. I'll be VERY curious to see what usage statistics are for this.

But like I said, it's free, and it's there and you can play the games natively if you want so it's not like you're losing anything by it existing. So not quite the same as Stadia and all the other precursors.

First three years are 1 dollar total if you have already have Xbox Live paid up. Go do that. Heck, I plan on doing it myself shortly.
I think you should save your 1 dollar. Sounds like its not for you.

ACESHIGH

Banned
No South America for now. But I trust MS, they will get here eventually. Sony still has to get PS Now in other countries 7 years from its launch. Cheap bastards.

Connxtion

Written like someone without a Switch…

Also, wtf at that $100 Bluetooth controller. Was going to jump at $40 but nope.

Oh shoot 😱 what’s that on my TV 🤔

Also controller cost me nothing, came with the XB1SD that I got my oldest when it came out.
3313-D20-E-07-ED-41-E2-B509-EF1-BBE4-C117-E.jpg

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
There is a huge input delay it seems, its wired connection as well.

Last edited:

elliot5

It's all dependent on your location to an azure db center it seems, too. Because my connection is not wired and probably frankly trash, but it feels almost native on my end. Definitely not nearly as bad as that clip makes it look like

Connxtion

Not getting this issue on my phone. iPhone 11 Pro Max with XB1SD pad.

In saying that the game has sluggish movement on the right stick as is. But move stick works, let go it stops & pressing a button is instant from my perspective. (Press A player jumps)

Stuart360

Microsoft could care less about you owning an Xbox. Every indication is that they're losing money on the hardware anyway.

They want that $15 /month Game Pass Ultimate subscription that's required for you to use Xcloud.
Not entirely true, and they have already announced new consoles in development. Its just now there are other ways of getting money, not just from console sales. PC, Gamepass, Xcloud etc.
They still want console sales for the services and licenses, and the millions of Xbox gamers that dont have, and may not ever have, Gamepass. Its just that now console hardware sales are not the 'be all and end all' anymore.

Last edited:

twilo99

Gave it a go today since I wasn't part of the invite only beta... I don't think a lot of people understand how important this cloud gaming thing really is.

Here is what I did. I have my PC connected to a 60hz 65 inch vizio as a second screen, connected my controller, opened the page in edge and set it to fullscreen mode, clicked on forza and I was in game within maybe 60 seconds and started where I left off from the installed version on my PC. No installation, no hassle, nothing..

Tried forza, yakuza 0, lonly mountains downhill, and will of the wisps. Got a bit a of a stutter on forza once or twice, but other than that no issues. I have a standard cable connection, nothing fancy.

Must say, impressive stuff. Not sure how things will go once they scale and more people start using it, but it works very well for now.

Last edited:

Murdoch

Gave it a go today since I wasn't part of the invite only beta... I don't think a lot of people understand how important this cloud gaming thing really is.

Here is what I did. I have my PC connected to a 60hz 65 inch vizio as a second screen, connected my controller, opened the page in edge and set it to fullscreen mode, clicked on forza and I was in game within maybe 60 seconds and started where I left off from the installed version on my PC. No installation, no hassle, nothing..

Tried forza, yakuza 0, lonly mountains downhill, and will of the wisps. Got a bit a of a stutter on forza once or twice, but other than that no issues. I have a standard cable connection, nothing fancy.

Must say, impressive stuff. Not sure how things will go once they scale and more people start using it, but it works very well for now.

It's certainly an option to play when you're hard up but this service is absolutely not going to replace the physical Xbox anytime soon. Xbox thrive with FPS and driving games and the performance simply isn't good enough to play either genre on it reliably.

I don't think anyone should subscribe to the service if you don't own an Xbox or PC. Whether or not a WiFi enabled input device improves the latency or not remains to be seen.

Thirty7ven

Banned
A lot of people seem impressed by the fact that it works at all, but streaming working is old news. Nobody has stuck with it, because that latency and lag you get that you are willing to ignore when you first try it, it becomes unbearable after a while.

I’m waiting for some professional comparisons between this and stadia/gforcenow/PSNow, to see how much an improvement it is, or not.

Anytime I read somebody saying they are playing via Wi-Fi and that it feels great, that tells you all about that person. Everybody can tell the difference between playing MP in wi fi vs Ethernet, but these cats trying to sell Wi Fi streaming, come on.

I've just tested it. A bit too pixelated for my liking, but otherwise works as advertised; stable, quick and a nice selection of games.

A lot of people seem impressed by the fact that it works at all, but streaming working is old news. Nobody has stuck with it, because that latency and lag you get that you are willing to ignore when you first try it, it becomes unbearable after a while.
Nobody* has stuck with it because the business model was shit.

*There's already a market for streaming, it's just rather niche.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Help an old timey out here, i got 2 kids with latest gen ipad minis, i have a Note10.. were a Sony household (PS4, Pro & Ps5) but i really want to play Sea of Thieves with them as i think it'd be great fun so got a few questions if youse dont mind..
1. Could you even play a game like Sea of Thieves on a screen the size of an ipad mini/note10?
2. I take it were gonna all need to buy xbox controllers or does anyone reccommend a snap-on type controller for Ipads/Minis
3. Is this gonna cost me 3xXbox Live Gold subs every month? Does MS do a family package
4. Will i need to bounce up my current broadband from 75mb to 100+?
5. Is Sea of Thieves worth the amount of money this is going to cost me lol, i take it i could sign us all up for a free month of xbox cloud to check it out?
Cheers

Mattyp

Gold Member
Not in Australia yet, absolute bullshit.

However can’t wait to use this when we can finally travel overseas again honestly.

Topher

Gold Member
Help an old timey out here, i got 2 kids with latest gen ipad minis, i have a Note10.. were a Sony household (PS4, Pro & Ps5) but i really want to play Sea of Thieves with them as i think it'd be great fun so got a few questions if youse dont mind..
1. Could you even play a game like Sea of Thieves on a screen the size of an ipad mini/note10?
2. I take it were gonna all need to buy xbox controllers or does anyone reccommend a snap-on type controller for Ipads/Minis
3. Is this gonna cost me 3xXbox Live Gold subs every month? Does MS do a family package
4. Will i need to bounce up my current broadband from 75mb to 100+?
5. Is Sea of Thieves worth the amount of money this is going to cost me lol, i take it i could sign us all up for a free month of xbox cloud to check it out?
Cheers

I haven't tried SoT specifically but....

1) Screen size of the device shouldn't matter. But you can also use a lightning or USB C to HDMI adapter and play on a TV as well. That depends on the device, but it works on my iPad.
2) Those snap ons look awkward, but I haven't tried one. Xbox type controllers work pretty well.
3) No, create separate Microsoft accounts for you family members and add them to your family on Microsoft's website and they should all share one account. You'll need Game Pass Ultimate rather than Xbox Live Gold though.
4) Hard to say. Give it a try. It may be fine.
5) Definitely pay the dollar and give it a shot. I don't think game streaming is there yet for games like Sea of Thieves personally.

Are any of these games actually playable with the touch controls? I tried a couple and with the iPhone it wasn't enjoyable.

CeeJay

Are any of these games actually playable with the touch controls? I tried a couple and with the iPhone it wasn't enjoyable.
Touch controls suck. I suppose you have to be under a certain age and have grown up with them to feel comfortable. It is however a good way to test your connection to Xcloud if you don't have a controller and don't want to buy one before trying it.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I haven't tried SoT specifically but....

1) Screen size of the device shouldn't matter. But you can also use a lightning or USB C to HDMI adapter and play on a TV as well. That depends on the device, but it works on my iPad.
2) Those snap ons look awkward, but I haven't tried one. Xbox type controllers work pretty well.
3) No, create separate Microsoft accounts for you family members and add them to your family on Microsoft's website and they should all share one account. You'll need Game Pass Ultimate rather than Xbox Live Gold though.
4) Hard to say. Give it a try. It may be fine.
5) Definitely pay the dollar and give it a shot. I don't think game streaming is there yet for games like Sea of Thieves personally.
I get creating a master account and adding the kids as family members, on the master account i sign up for GPU and using xcloud i obviously have access to MS cracking library of games on the master account, but the kids then sign into xcloud on their accounts and they can also access the same games as the master account at the same time?

elliot5

The first feedback aren’t good. It looks like it’s not as good as Stadia for a lot of people. I’m not going to spend any money on it for the moment.
It's about as good as Stadia for me. latency is like 40 ms to nearby Cloud DBs and the video quality is equal to each. Stadia is a bit better with latency in comparison though.

Azure Speed Test 2.0
GCP ping (gcping.com)

Here you can let these sit for a few min to get an idea of the latency to Google's cloud network and Microsoft's cloud network.

twilo99

yes, this would be very much dependent on the game you are playing. Fast paced shooters are out of the question for me, Forza worked "good enough" to where it didn't bother me but I only played for an hour. A game like Yakuza is perfect tho

It's about as good as Stadia for me. latency is like 40 ms to nearby Cloud DBs and the video quality is equal to each. Stadia is a bit better with latency in comparison though.

Azure Speed Test 2.0
GCP ping (gcping.com)

Here you can let these sit for a few min to get an idea of the latency to Google's cloud network and Microsoft's cloud network.

Thanks for those! Not all that great for me..

aAf66vp.jpg

Topher

Gold Member
I get creating a master account and adding the kids as family members, on the master account i sign up for GPU and using xcloud i obviously have access to MS cracking library of games on the master account, but the kids then sign into xcloud on their accounts and they can also access the same games as the master account at the same time?

My kids would sign in with their own accounts and they would have access to all the games. But that was a couple of years ago. I'm assuming that is still the case.

dottme

Azure Speed Test 2.0
GCP ping (gcping.com)

It only measure the ping, it doesn’t check the bandwidth. I think my issue was a bandwidth issue. Stadia was like playing a YouTube video in low quality.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'm getting ~41ms to Azure and 38ms on GeForce Now(to Southwest while I'm Northwest? Must be server load). During GeForce Now beta I would commonly get 25-28ms latency. 30s is decent, while 20s is ideal.
---
DOOM Eternal update seems to be live on xCloud as the game gave me an award thingy called 'Raytracer'. However, it seems they've locked it to 'Balanced Mode', or 4K/60fps. Personally, I would have preferred having a choice, or at least defaulting to 'Performance Mode'.
---
Made a FH4 video, and the image quality is greatly improved over what I was getting pre-XSX update. Regretfully, I'm getting audio stuttering(which I've reported), and it's strangely limited to FH4. I restarted the Halo Exp. race 8 times and it happens at the same times in the beginning. Very weird. For that reason I turned down the game audio mix and added music with higher volume to make watching more pleasant. Still nice image quality and stream stability, though. Input latency isn't a huge issue in a racer.

Last edited:
Got it running on my iPad with Xbox controller. There is too much latency. Visuals and audio are great with only the odd hitch. played Forza Motorsport which was fine but tried GTA V and it’s unplayable. will try some more games and see how they are. I really really reeeeeally don’t want to have to use the MS store to download game to my PC. I have fast internet and plenty of storage on my PC but MS store just fucking ruins your drive with shit. That’s why I’ve never joined gamepass until now. I refuse to use MS store, bought halo, forza, flight sim on steam.

But hey I get 3 months for £1 so not too bad.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Azure Speed Test 2.0
GCP ping (gcping.com)

19ms to MS
26ms to google

Sounds about right, both xcloud and stadia are very smooth for me.

DaGwaphics

Being able to boot stuff up in a living room you doing have a console at. Playing games at a relatives house over the holidays. A quick break at work, at the airport, at the hotel.

People who want to play games like Starfield without wanting to shell out almost $600 all said and done and just want to pay $15. Kids who want to play Minecraft dungeons and whatnot on their iPads as well as console.

There's plenty of use cases.

Using it to try games before downloading is super useful. Some games, by design, just aren't that latency dependent, something like The Gardens Between or really any puzzler should be okay. I'm sure there will be some PS5 users that will use it to checkout MS first-party on the down low. It's good for people with potato PCs and no console as well.

I'm as jaded as the next guy, so for me I will play local whenever possible for as long as possible. But the streaming tech will keep getting better and better as time goes along.

twilo99

Got it running on my iPad with Xbox controller. There is too much latency. Visuals and audio are great with only the odd hitch. played Forza Motorsport which was fine but tried GTA V and it’s unplayable. will try some more games and see how they are. I really really reeeeeally don’t want to have to use the MS store to download game to my PC. I have fast internet and plenty of storage on my PC but MS store just fucking ruins your drive with shit. That’s why I’ve never joined gamepass until now. I refuse to use MS store, bought halo, forza, flight sim on steam.

If you have gamepass you don't need to use the store, use the gamepass for PC app .. I've had no issues with it, but yes.. this cloud thing is way better than having to download and install the games.

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned
The improved loadtimes are incredible. Being able to start and stop games anywhere in just a few seconds is insane. Visuals appear much improved aswell. Very nice upgrade so far. One thing I've noticed is the browser version of xCloud introduces lag compared yo the native app! I hope they can fix that.

I get horrible lag on my ipad. There are two things causing it. One is the bluetooth connection. Try a wired controller if you can. The other is running through the browser instead of native app.

You can try it on a PC browser when you get a chance. Should be improved.

Markio128

Just tried Skyrim and FH4 on my iPad Air and the lag rendered both games unplayable unfortunately. Such a shame because the potential is there. It was the same when I tried PS streaming on the iPad as well.

Schmick

So far i have given two games ago SoT and FH4 on desktop

I thought SoT played really well. I barely noticed any lag, if any.

FH4 though was noticeable. Not drastic but probably not at a level where you would feel comfortable racing other players.

e&e

Banned
Did you mean switch as in router/hub? if so my apologies.
I meant you wrote that like you have never had a Switch, which was already doing what you posted years ago…

You posting that you have a Switch makes your post more nonsensical…

Last edited:
Top Bottom