• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox coaching program for gamer pro industry mentoring

Bartski

Gold Member

What to expect in a session​

This unique, one-on-one experience creates a space to learn from your mentor. You'll be engaging directly, so bring questions, and leverage her expertise to help you on your own path to success.

Frequently Asked Questions​

What is Xbox's new mentoring program?

Xbox`s new mentoring program is for everyone, and is aimed at partnering women in leadership across Xbox`s diverse range of studios and products with aspiring talent. Entrants are offered a chance to win access to a valuable 1:1 coaching session with key industry leaders in selected markets (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Australia, New Zealand, United States, United Kingdom, France, Canada, Japan and Korea) with additional markets to follow.

Who is eligible to register for a coaching session?

The only restrictions for entry are age and location. Nobody under the age of 18 can register for a coaching session, nor can anybody who falls outside the mentor's specified region.

What will I get out of the 1:1 coaching session?

In the session you will learn more about how the mentor grew her skillset and what that job looks like on a daily basis. Come with questions to understand how you can professionally grow, and what your next steps could look like to get clarity on your goal, as well as how you can evolve your goals.

Why is the coaching session one on one and not open to more people?

Everyone has individual goals and a path they are following. As coaching and mentoring can be very personal, we want you to be able to ask questions in a safe space, and for you to get the best advice and learning out of the session. This is best achieved with a closed one on one session. There will be Feedback Surveys at the end of the session as we want to improve this program over time.

What do I need to bring to the coaching session?

As a mentee we would advise you to go in with a goal, so you can be specific on your growth path. Be prepared to tell your background story and where you want to be. Come with questions and create your own meaning from your mentor´s stories. As this is a safe space, keep in mind that the conversation is private and the content should not be put on social media. But most of all, have fun!

What are the criteria to get picked for the coaching session?

Microsoft will select one (1) individual (8 individuals in total) from each participating region: US, UK, ANZ (Australia & New Zealand), Canada, DACH (Germany, Austria, Switzerland), France, Japan and Korea for the coaching session. The individual will be selected based upon similar career goals that match the mentor`s career experience. Individuals will be notified by susan.coulter@becore.com on or before 30 June, 2022. The individual must reply to the email notification within three (3) days of outreach (“Selected Participant”), or Microsoft will select another individual for the coaching session.

In what countries is the mentoring program active?

The mentoring program, including the coaching session, is currently active in the US, UK, DACH, France, ANZ, Japan, and Korea. More regions will be highlighting local mentors through social media (e.g. livestreams). We are looking to add more regions to offer additional coaching sessions in future.

Can I register for a different country?

You can only register for a mentor in your region and the languages she speaks.

When will my market be added to the program?

Make sure to follow your local Xbox channels to find out if your region gets added in future.

How long will the mentoring program last?

We are kicking off the program to run for the next 3 months, and looking into an extension for the whole year.

How many mentors will be available?

Each region that is confirmed will have one mentor at the launch of the program. After 4-6 weeks the region will introduce a new mentor that you can also apply for.

Can I register again with a new mentor?

Yes, you can. By default, you will need to register again when a new mentor is spotlighted.

Does it cost anything to register for the mentoring program?

Registering for Xbox´s mentoring program is free. The coaching session is also free.

What happens if I don´t get selected?

The individual will be selected based upon similar career goals that match the mentor`s career experience. Individuals will be notified by Microsoft (or an agency acting on behalf of Microsoft) by email on or before June 30, 2022. The individual must reply to the email notification within three (3) days of outreach (“Selected Participant”), or Microsoft will select another individual for the coaching session. If you haven´t been selected you can still apply for the next mentoring opportunity.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Xbox`s new mentoring program is for everyone.

Who is eligible to register for a coaching session?

The only restrictions for entry are age and location.

Even though the video is very clearly aimed at women [or at least teenage girls] it never says anywhere that it's women-only.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
what do these female mentors look like?
DvGUgxu.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Read the OP. It’s in relatively plain English
In the session you will learn more about how the mentor grew her skillset and what that job looks like on a daily basis. Come with questions to understand how you can professionally grow, and what your next steps could look like to get clarity on your goal, as well as how you can evolve your goals.
Melissa Boone

As a UX research manager, Melissa uses science to help make Xbox's games more fun. By helping teams listen to their players around the world, Melissa strives towards making gaming truly fun, safe, and inclusive for everyone.
OK, I read it and I don't understand what she'll coach us/them on. Science?

Ozriel

M$FT
OK, I read it and I don't understand what she'll coach us/them on. Science?

She has a career in the games industry. One expects that the mentorship would entail her coaching the mentee on steps to building a career in the industry.
Mentors aren’t there to teach you how to code.

Fbh

This seems to fall under the same category as those "coaching" sessions most big companies I've worked for had which were so bad I'm still convinced they must have been some sort of money laundering or tax evasion scheme.

No pronouns?
No thx, I don't want to get mentored by a biggot

Last edited:
How…is this ‘forced mentoring’ in any way? Did you even read the OP ?

Mentors and Mentees find each other, get a connection and mutually beneficial relationship out of it.
Seek this person to get a Mentor and help to become XYZ is forced.

Same principle as a couple just meeting or actively seeking through 100 Tinder dates to find the right person.
One is better, the latter is pathetic.

But that's just my view on how thing in that field should work.
People can like that stuff and do. But it's still bad.

Majormaxxx

Sign me up.

Major Max
Hip/hop

Kidding aside, this is an amazing opportunity for career help,

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
This is pretty strange, it’s kind of neat if you really are someone that needs some kind of mentoring. I know it sounds and looks cringe(wouldn’t say you are wrong either) but if this actually helps someone, that’s pretty cool.

I can also see this being trolled/abused pretty easily. I’m guessing if it kicks off pretty well you might see mentors down the road. Hard to see them allowing opposite genders mentoring though.

Ozriel

M$FT
Mentors and Mentees find each other, get a connection and mutually beneficial relationship out of it.
Seek this person to get a Mentor and help to become XYZ is forced.

Same principle as a couple just meeting or actively seeking through 100 Tinder dates to find the right person.
One is better, the latter is pathetic.

But that's just my view on how thing in that field should work.
People can like that stuff and do. But it's still bad.

I suggest you re-read the OP. Slowly, this time.

This is a program you - as a person aspiring to work professionally in gaming - apply to to get paired with an industry professional that can help with insights for your career.

How you managed to eke out ‘tinder’ and ‘forced pairing’ from this is amazing.

smells like shady ambassador program to me

Not everything has to be about platform warring.

The fact you have to explain these things is little shocking/hilarious to me.

Completely baffling, tbh.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
When people get frustrated with the low effort posting that can clog up the forums and threads, the below is what they are referring to. That was a long checklist in the OP for sure, and the title of the thread is not only confusing, but it is wrong (allowing for the most fair of interpretations of what the OP means), but these comments are just wild, especially with people (like O Ozriel ) already correcting misinterpretations.

Teach girls how to play games. :)

(She/Her/He/Him)

fuck this shit...

what happens if a dude applies?

Well you could probably just say you're a girl.

Xbox does a lot of weird cringy stuff. This is on of them. Forced mentoring is always a no go for me.
Complete waste of time during college.

. . .also, so what if you're giving women in the gaming industry a chance to mentor folks interested in the gaming industry. Maybe they all got together and said to MS: "Hey, we don't get a ton of mentorship opportunities. Think we could do something about that? Offer mentees experience from our specific perspective?"

Pejo

It's a shame that this program doesn't seem to be done in earnest. I think if you're a woman that wants to work in the industry, something like this would be a huge boost to your knowledge, in addition to making connections, and learning more about the industry before you start walking down that career path.

The issue here is that by limiting the mentors to only women, and the particularly women interested in doing stuff like this, you're almost guaranteed to get indoctrinating which is just going to perpetuate again and again. Like I doubt anybody would say that AAA development is in a great place right now. It's a shame that they don't have more of a universal mentoring/workshop type thing.

Then again, I'm an outsider on the whole thing, so what do I know. Maybe these women are the best in their respective fields.

Reactions: GHG
Top Bottom