• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Debuts PC Games to NVIDIA GeForce NOW Members Beginning Today

Draugoth

Gold Member
Nvidia-Microsoft-on-black-1920x108042-1-a1424a75434c202db7f0.jpg

We’re thrilled to share that starting today, NVIDIA GeForce NOW cloud gaming members in the U.K., the U.S., the European Union and around the world can stream Gears 5, and on May 25 will be able to enjoy fan-favorites Deathloop, Grounded, and Pentiment. This is just the beginning stage of our forward-thinking 10-year partnership with NVIDIA to make PC games from Xbox Game Studios and Bethesda available to their GeForce NOW members. Together, we’re accelerating access to players around the globe by letting them choose how and when they game.

The initial slate of launch games spans our catalog, providing players high-quality, immersive titles with a little something for everyone–single player campaigns, story-driven experiences, and opportunities to play with friends and family through multiplayer. Following this initial release, we’ll continue to add more content from our portfolio on a regular basis to ensure players can always find a new and exciting game. News and release dates will be shared via GFN Thursday updates.

Members will be able to stream PC hits from Xbox Game Studios and Bethesda purchased through Steam or Epic Games Store (for eligible games) on PC, Mac, SHIELD TV, and Android devices – or by visiting play.geforcenow.com on Chromebook and iOS Safari. Our teams are also working to bring support for games purchased through the Microsoft Store in the coming months.

This is the first in a series of partnerships we’re activating to make our PC games available to players globally through a variety of cloud gaming services, starting with NVIDIA GeForce NOW, and with Boosteroid, Ubitus, EE and Nware in the future. We remain committed to releasing current titles from Xbox Game Studios and Bethesda, and future Activision Blizzard PC games once Microsoft’s acquisition closes.

Delivering our content through more partners and cloud gaming services puts players at the center, empowering them to play the games they want, with the people they want, on the devices they want. NVIDIA has been an outstanding partner for team Xbox over the years, and we can’t wait to see their devoted fans discover and play their next favorite PC games from Xbox.

zomboden

Banned
Nothing is stopping Activision or any other publisher to put games on any Cloud provider
Why do you need an acquisition for that?
Activision doesn't believe in putting their games on cloud services. Microsoft is forcing them to do it as part of the acquisition. Microsoft wants to put all their games on cloud services, and therefore if they own Activision, their games are on there. Pretty simple really.
Damn, now I hope the deal goes through. I was sad when I could no longer play Diablo 3 on Now. Diablo 4 on there would be tiddies.
Diablo 4 is cross progression between all platforms so you can play on Xbox/PS and swap your progress to PC if you are saving up for one. I wouldn't count on seeing Diablo 4 on cloud services without the acquisition.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Activision doesn't believe in putting their games on cloud services. Microsoft is forcing them to do it as part of the acquisition. Microsoft wants to put all their games on cloud services, and therefore if they own Activision, their games are on there. Pretty simple really.
Florian told you that?
Call of duty is already avaible on multiple cloud providers
kIDKFD8.jpg

zomboden

Banned
Florian told you that?
Call of duty is already avaible on multiple cloud providers
kIDKFD8.jpg

None of those cloud services you listed actually ask for approval for the games they use on there. Shadow PC you can install any software on. It's essentially a windows 10 PC in the cloud. Anything you want.

Boosteroid is notorious for not licensing the games they put on their platform.

I don't know about airgpu, but literally 10 seconds of googling tells me its just a cloud based windows 10 PC, just like shadow.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This seems like kind of a big deal for geforce now, but I'm underwealmed by the whole pc xbox catalog not being available with this launch.

Last edited:

PrimeX

Gears 5? I have to look for a review on this game before buying, but glad to see my interest in cloud gaming is now shared by a bunch of people around here.
I remember when I first wrote here about playing on cloud. God I could feel the hate in almost every post

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I don't understand why companies need to approve games to be available on Geforce now to begin with. The service is just a rented PC, you bought the game on your steam account, who cares if you play on a rented PC.

It's still a third party streaming their content. But it can go even one more level of asinine deeper.

Sony's first party games on Geforce Now are specifically blocked from running on the Edge browser on Xbox consoles.

Ev1L AuRoN

It's still a third party streaming their content. But it can go even one more level of asinine deeper.

Sony's first party games on Geforce Now are specifically blocked from running on the Edge browser on Xbox consoles.
This is absolutely ridiculous if you ask me. No different of me streaming games from my main rig using parsec. I bought the game for steam, I play the game on steam. F*ck off you greedy b@st4rds.

Schmick

Just delved into the article a bit deeper.... looks like Xbox didn't get the memo regarding the MS/ABK deal situation.

Last edited:

Vblad88

One thing I found funny about GeForce Now is that you would assume that it was made to show and sell their powerful GPU tech. And then suddenly they are adding Pentiment to the library :)

It is an old joke. You could toggle 3DFx acceleration in the Curse of Monkey Island almost 25 years ago...

NEbeast

Diablo 4 is cross progression between all platforms so you can play on Xbox/PS and swap your progress to PC if you are saving up for one. I wouldn't count on seeing Diablo 4 on cloud services without the acquisition.
Wasn't there documents from the acquisition saying Activision was looking at putting their games on cloud streaming services.

PrimeX

One thing I found funny about GeForce Now is that you would assume that it was made to show and sell their powerful GPU tech. And then suddenly they are adding Pentiment to the library :)

It is an old joke. You could toggle 3DFx acceleration in the Curse of Monkey Island almost 25 years ago...
I owned both a Diamond Monster 3dfx and The Curse of Monkey Island back then so I know what you're talking about, but this is different.
One can chose to play Witcher 3 wild hunt with 4k everything maxed out and reflex, dlss3 etc. on an oled like me, or play Pentiment on a chromecast that has zero gaming capabilities tied to an old hdmi capable monitor/tv.
This is the cool thing about cloud gaming, you could play anything , on almost everything and anywhere.

Notice the "could", because in fact you can't due to different interests in the gaming business.

GametimeUK

Gears 5? I have to look for a review on this game before buying, but glad to see my interest in cloud gaming is now shared by a bunch of people around here.
I remember when I first wrote here about playing on cloud. God I could feel the hate in almost every post
I really don't understand the hatred for cloud gaming either. It wouldn't be my standard choice of how to play games, but as an option its cool. I've used it occasionally with my Steam Deck and it's been decent enough and even PS Now on my Vita was enjoyable.

Also I recommend Gears 5. It seems my view may fall outside of the general concensus, but I think it's a really fun game and technically impressive to look at. The Hivebusters DLC is legit though and is genuinely a super entertaining ride.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Nothing is stopping Activision or any other publisher to put games on any Cloud provider

Blizzard took away access to their games on GE Force Now, so it seems that the current heads of Blizzard did exactly that. Stopped it from happening. MS seems to be working with Nvidia. Pretty simple?

Last edited:
Yeah, latency is a non-issue on GE Force Now. People will keep trying to downplay cloud gaming though. It feels like local play, even on my shit internet connection at work.
People are luddites. Holding on to relics of the past because their egos want to be right about what they think the future would like, based on their biases of what they consider right/righteous/superior.

The facts that will unfold in the future do not care how these people feel. Once everything continues on the path that it's on (i.e technology continues to progress at the rate it does and mankind doesn't go extinct) cloud gaming WILL eventually replace console gaming as the dominant way people play their games, in almost all sectors of the world. That is inevitable, all things permitted. How anyone doesn't see that is beyond me. It doesn't have to happen today or tomorrow or even in the next five years, but it will happen eventually.

And it's funny that MS is being penalised for being the gaming company who realises that future, is pushing for that future and is excelling in that delivery method. That's entirely why the CMA blocked them, largely impart due to MS's vision and partly due to the lack of vision and investment of their competitors, who've rested on their laurels and haven't invested a fraction into cloud progression, even though it's a matter of time before someone leaves their mark in that delivery method, and turns the industry on their head.

Funnily, all the people who thought MS's ABK purchase was unfair to PS in the console space; the CMA and EU didn't have the same grave reservations or concerns about competition in the conventional/traditional console delivery methods.

Three

We’re thrilled to share that starting today, NVIDIA GeForce NOW cloud gaming members in the U.K., the U.S., the European Union and around the world can stream Gears 5, and on May 25 will be able to enjoy fan-favorites Deathloop, Grounded, and Pentiment.

What a weirdly worded press release.😄

Also those aren't the fan favourites. Try putting what you used to advertise xCloud instead, FH5. Something that would benefit from the good Geforce Now GPUs.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member

Because Activision/Blizzard clearly doesn't want to put their games on any cloud service with their current leadership? UK wanted to protect cloud gaming by blocking the deal, yet we would see all their games on both Geforce NOW and xCloud if the deal went trough.

Last edited:

Three

Because Activision/Blizzard clearly doesn't want to put their games on any cloud service with their current leadership? UK wanted to protect cloud gaming by blocking the deal, yet we would see all their games on both Geforce NOW and xCloud if the deal went trough.
Based on what? Zenimax/Bethesda removed all their games from Geforce Now, MS didn't put any of their games on there. Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, etc all still removed from GFN. All on xCloud though. Even now they are giving scraps compared to their xCloud service. People want the powerful cloud rigs to play the graphically intensive stuff they don't have the machine for like FH5, Flight Simulator, not something like Pentiment. So even though it's possible for MS already, they don't put ALL their games on there.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Nice

I can't see using it, but hey, GeForce Now is getting bigger, so that's something

feynoob

Banned
T Three
Like I said before, they are adding the games slowly. It will be a matter of time before they add all of their games to those cloud services.

Top Bottom