• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox France: There are not enough Xbox Series X in circulation to meet demand this holiday. (Supply shortage)

ZoukGalaxy

What a bunch of clowns @MicrosoftFrance

Don't know why they're saying this, you can buy RIGHT NOW a XSX on amazon.fr and get it THE SAME DAY of the order if you place on night or on morning.

Or here:

Or here at Microsoft store directly:

The XSX is very often in stock for France.

Sounds like PR bullshit trying to create some FOMO for christmas "hey, buy it now, it's so scarce !"

Beside, trying to buy a PS5 in France it's just a pure bullshit hell, 2 years after launch that's unbelievable, they are clowns too @SonyFrance and @SonyWorld.

Clowns everywhere ! No jealous.
clowns GIF by The 90th Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member

Don't know why they're saying this, you can buy RIGHT NOW a XSX on amazon.fr and get it THE SAME DAY of the order if you place on night or on morning.

Or here:

Sounds like PR bullshit trying to create some FOMO for christmas "hey, buy it now, it's so scarce !"

Beside, trying to buy a PS5 in France it's just a pure bullshit hell, 2 years after launch that's unbelievable, they are clowns too @SonyFrance and @SonyWorld.

They aren't talking about today. They're talking about during the holiday shopping season. Did you not read the thread?

Justin9mm

I was at Target today (NY). They had 1 Series X, 2 Series S consoles, 4 Series X all access.

They also had about 4 Switch regular consoles, 2 OLED Switches, and a bunch of Switch lites.

They had 0 PS5 consoles.

Just thought id share.
Thank you for sharing

ZoukGalaxy

They aren't talking about today. They're talking about during the holiday shopping season. Did you not read the thread?
I did, that's why I replied what I said: there is no shortage for XSX beside the usual shortage for everything at Christmas. That's just a FOMO strategy. Did you read my message ?

They are tons of stock right unlike Sony, on Christmas everything runs out of stock. And demand for XSX is not so high here, people prefer to go GamePass on PC.

France only plays Wii Wii.
ee3c500b-phphllz3m_png.jpg

Last edited:

jm89

Or here:

This has been the case in Europe for months, Xbox is easily available, maybe that changes this holiday but hasn't been the case for months.

Way too many people thinking the demand and stock situation in the usa is the same around the globe for Xbox when it isn't.

yazenov

This has been the case in Europe for months, Xbox is easily available, maybe that changes this holiday but hasn't been the case for months.

Way too many people thinking the demand and stock situation in the usa is the same around the globe for Xbox when it isn't.
UK = Europe
US= World

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I flew into France last week for Paris games week and there were ps5s on the plane...quite a few actually....so there were deffo ps5s in France for a while......

...until the plane took off anyway...

So yeah, plenty of ps5s in France...atleast for a few days.....

Based on what? Most of the S sales will not be forum gamers but people who want to enter next gen at a good price, and due to Xbox X shortages has been doing the legwork of most of the sales in Xboxes strongest countries and the XBS is ahead aligned with 360 and One, I would say it's doing exactly the job it was meant to otherwise, there might only be 6 Million XBS sold so far as the X has only just recently increased production.

Based of the number estimates I provided, which actually have a method & science behind them. AKA I'm not just pulling that number out of my bunghole to try making the platform look bad. Not just that, but there are a LOT of anecdotal accounts of Series S units on store shelves regularly, paired with retailers cutting the price, and throwing in 1 to 2 free games.

The people arguing that those price cut and free game throw-in measures are due to high popularity, aren't thinking clearly because if such were true, why have we not seen similar deals for PS5 and Series X, even? Those systems are even more in-demand than the S but aren't getting multiple retailer discounts or free games thrown in with a purchase, nor is the Switch for that matter. Just Series S.

Occam's Razor would lead me to believe those deals are in an effort to encourage a bigger move of units into customers' hands to make up for softening demand.

Yes, I also heard Sony report they didn't ship what they wanted, the XBS is still up YOY, and the XBS console and the PS5 in the US are literally only a few hundred K apart and the Xbox Series just had a whole year without any games. If the Xbox had games this year it wouldn't be surprising that small gap was covered.

You can say Series had a whole year without any games, but you're still underplaying the fact PS5 went a LONG time this year in the US without a lot of actual stock. The stock situation started improving in mid-summer or so, and we've seen PS5 consistently outselling Series as a result. There is simply more demand for it, even in America, and the gap you're referring to isn't an actual indication of relative demand between the two products.

I'm not saying Series (particularly X) wouldn't sell more if the stock in the US were better. However, if stock for PS5 were better still in America as well, the gap would be wider in favor of PS5 even if overall sales for both grew noticeably due to better stock. And, that would be a more accurate representation of their demand relative to each other, at this point in time.

It's "controversial" because it's made up, you know it's made up, I linked to the evidence in multiple places why it doesn't align with the information that's out here which you intentionally chose to ignore so you can believe a fake number. That's the truth about it.

I find it curious you'll use a poorly estimated low number for XBS to push the narrative the S isn't selling when it's been leading sales because of X shortage, but you wouldn't look at OTHER estimates that have different number.

Okay, let's walk through this. At some point in early June, before Ampere's analysis numbers come up, Microsoft give a vague statement that Series is tracking ahead of their other consoles, which would include 360 and XBO. They don't specify in which capacity it's tracking ahead; could it be unit sales? Or division revenue? Or MAU? Who really knows, but it's safe to assume they mean unit sales. Even then, we don't know if they're referring to sold-in (to retailers) or sold-through (to customers); in the past, when Microsoft WAS providing Xbox unit sales numbers, particularly with XBO (before stopping in 2015), they used sold-in. Sold-in and sold-through are two different measures of unit sales with their own implications, and when Microsoft said they were tracking ahead of 360 & XBO, they honestly could have meant either.

However, for benefit of doubt we'll assume they meant sold-through. This statement was provided roughly 19 months after Series's launch. At a similar point in 360's time span, it had sold 11.6 million units (sold-through) globally. It's harder to find XBO's LTD at the 19-month mark, but we can assume it might have been roughly equal to that in best case or something a tad below it in worst cases.

Then, Ampere provides their report. In it, they provide PS5 sold-through numbers of 21.5 million. We KNOW these are sold-through because they are sourced directly from Sony's fiscal reports, which indicate sold-through amounts. They also provide Series numbers of 13.8 million. We do not know if these are sold-through or sold-in; it would be a bit much to expect them to be sold-through (in hindsight) but they would still be a lot more accurate than, say, VGChartz's Series numbers, however it's easy to make the assumption they are sold-through because the PS5 numbers are sold-through and in such a report you'd expect the numbers to represent similar measures for all subjects. In hindsight, though, this was probably sold-in Series numbers for a reason I'll address shortly.

A couple of months later, Microsoft puts out a tweet on social media (IIRC to appeal to the CMA amid the ongoing ABK acquisition investigation) that includes combined sales figures for XBO & Xbox Series. Since these numbers were provided to appeal to the CMA's investigation, we can assume they were accurate, and likely went with sold-through as sold-in would have given higher numbers (and the point of this is that MS would want to appear like a smaller player in the CMA's eyes so go with the measure that would give you the smaller numbers). This number is 63.7 million. Now, we have had NUMEROUS analysts estimate that XBO lifetime sales were something in the 50 million'ish ballpark. There was an official report stating that XBO's lifetime sales were "less than half" that of PS4's. So less than (117 million / 2 =) 58.5 million.

However, this single tweet now presents a problem. If Xbox One sales were at exactly 58.5 million, and MS are giving a combined XBO & Series figure of 63.7 million, then that produces a total of only 5.2 million Series X & S units sold-through, which is impossible unless MS are sourcing numbers from early-mid 2021 (which, why would they be doing that in the first place?). But we know they aren't, because the Nintendo numbers provided in that same tweet are roughly accurate to where they were at that time (confirmed recently by Nintendo's latest fiscal results), and Sony's numbers Microsoft provided were actually a slight overestimate by something like 5 million even by the point where Sony actually confirmed 25 million PS5s sold, let alone at the specific time the tweet was made (where the overestimate would have been higher).

So this brings us to a few things worth considering. One, it sort of confirms Ampere's numbers for Series back in June may have likely been sold-in, not sold-through. Either that, or MS are providing Series sold-through numbers from the close of their FY 2021, which ended on May 31st, 2022. Meaning that if Ampere's 13.8 million were sold-in, then Series sold-through was 13.16 in BEST case because we also have to refer to MS's tweet, giving combined Series & XBO totals of 63.7 million. If you take the lowest possible end of XBO LTD numbers possible for the generation while still meeting previous professional estimates and suggestions, you would have at least 50 million. Statista provides a XBO lifetime total of 50.54 million which is on the lowest end for XBO but also provides the best-case scenario for Series sold-through at a point of 19 months into Series console lifecycle that clearly tracks ahead of 360, XBO, and also lines up very well with Microsoft's own combined figures tweet.

And so there you have it right there: at SOME point between May 31, 2022 and the time of MS making that tweet of combined XBO/Series sales figures to appeal to the CMA (assuming they were not lowballing their sold-through numbers, otherwise that will cause them a LOT of problems going forward in the investigation), Series sold-through sales were likely at 13.16 million. It has been roughly five months since that point, if you are to believe the figures from MS's tweet were at the close of their previous FY, so you can factor in roughly another 1 million - 1.5 million (ish) units having been sold globally during the time in-between (consider that MS gave a forecast before FY 2022 that they expected Series sales numbers to be flat QoQ for FY 2022 Q1 and Q2) and that gets you to an absolute best case of 14.5 million Series sold-through as of roughly this time.

However, if you want to believe that the combined figures MS gave in their tweet were reflective of numbers at around that point in time (or relative to the start of Q2, which began in September), then that best-case scenario for total sales drops a lot, from a possible peak of 14.5 million to a peak of maybe 13.5 million (or maybe, maybe 13.8 million) to the current time for Series.

Those are the only realistic possibilities IMHO, and again they are still good for the brand. They are still tracking ahead of 360 and XBO (well, specifically if they are at 14.5 million LTD right now, though they may narrowly still be ahead of them if they're at the softer 13.8 million or even 13.5 million), it's just not a 25 million figure like PS5 and I think that's the part some of you are upset with because you want to imagine that the sold-through numbers for both systems is a lot closer. Well in all honesty, in the most probable scenarios, they simply aren't, but that doesn't mean Series is doing "badly". You need to stop subconsciously thinking that.

Likely based on fake numbers that have very little supporting it, and the only ones you want to believe while ignoring all the other estimates with better support. You have no reason to think 14.5 million is "likely" none zero, and you know this but agendas agendas.

Lol I LITERALLY just explained my whole process & logic above in succecient detail. The funny part is you haven't done anything to show how my reasoning or estimates are wrong outside of just saying I'm purposely trying to give the numbers for an agenda.

No, an "agenda" would be running with VGChartz numbers and quote-tweeting them to give the impression those are sold-through numbers, when you are directly involved with the brand to the point you could just provide official sold-through numbers yourself if you wanted. An "agenda" would be, quoting outside sales numbers in general when your company has made it very clear they do not report sales numbers anymore, because the numbers you quote feed into a narrative of outselling your competitor in a territory and you hope by quote-tweeting those numbers you can influence other people to boost the optics of the console brand you are a representative of.

THAT's closer to an "agenda" than anything I am doing, and you know it.

I also want to point out that weak estimate is from months ago, so the PS5 has JUST sold 25 Million, but using your logic the XBS hasn't sold any units for months and is still at the fake 14.5 million?

Again, refer to the section where I explain my method & logic behind arriving to the 14.5 million. Also FWIW, it took Sony roughly five months to move an additional 4.5 million units globally.

Considering the possibility MS's numbers in their tweet were from June, and the general disparity in global popularity between the two brands plus the supposed drop in supply for Xbox (suggested through MS's own outlooks of flat QoQ results), them selling ~ 1.5 million globally in that same time frame is actually quite respectable and likely.

You're saying this with no evidence, meanwhile, there are reports popping up of Xbox being up here and there and an increase in this country over there, and little to no reports of XBS being down. Just recently in the UK, PS5 led that report but was down and XBS was up, just one example.

If you have a 100% increase in a country where you wee normally selling 1,000 units a week, that means you're selling 2K a week. The percentages may look huge but outside of that, the actual amount of units being moved isn't particularly significant.

You also can't trust every report, and it always helps to check over the info in those reports yourself, just to make sure things line up and HOW they line up.

Nothing, the XBS supply is fine, you're just having a hard time splitting the X from the S, if there were more X stock along with the S sales the sales units would obviously be higher. That's a problem for Microsoft to solve. The PS5 has it's main SKU as the main unit produced with PS5D not even being seen in some areas for months, where both X and S Xboxes are trying to share production and shipments to store shelves. These are two different business models.

Right, which feeds into the main thought expressed in the thread. There aren't enough SERIES X units in circulation to meet demand, because Microsoft has to split production resources between it and the lesser-in-demand Series S, because the Series S has completely different specs compared to the Series X when it comes to the APU, components, not to mention needing its own RAM and storage (eating into those budgets).

You're overestimating the PS5 and underestimating the Xbox, and when it's noted the PS5 is falling behind the PS4 you are equating that to failure and the XBS is catching up, outside of the US and UK and Mexico, this isn't the case. You need to look at the whole picture and not the console war.

No, I equated it to that because you were either insinuating it (by not specifying context into WHY it was trailing PS4 in those markets), or you didn't specify enough to dissuade me from drawing that conclusion. I.e just jumping to one platform making percentage gains and the other platform trailing its predecessor, in a thread talking about lack of Series X units to meet demand, and our own back-and-forth over you disagreeing about relative low demand for Series S (which is driving your reason to dismiss my estimates).

So yeah, I'm going to draw a natural conclusion that you're referring to Series percentages being up over XBO & 360, and PS5's being down to PS4, as an insinuation to rising & falling demand, respectively, especially because quite a few OTHER people I've seen do this have done so for very similar reasons (especially for select markets like Japan) in the past.

What this says is PS5 AND XBS need to get more games out and can't just sell on new consoles smell alone. I brought up the PS5 in Japan as an example if it selling over 2 million units recently, but with software sales of an Xbox 360. That's not good and is a major disconnect that needs to be resolved before the honeymoon period is over.

And somehow you don't think that is going to be resolved with games like FF XVI or VII Intergrade? Again, if PS5 software sales are supposedly poor in Japan, than Series software sales would be absolutely pitiful, but when it comes to the Japan argument you only focus on PS5 needing to do something to up its software sales, not Xbox Series.

That's why I went into that big example with the Japanese market for both systems and I'm not going to repeat all of that again here. It's in the post if you care to read it.

I also used a similar example with the XBS, bringing up how there were a handful of good games, but then you had delays and disappointments like Halo Infinite, and that Microsoft needs to pick up the pace before the XBS honeymoon period is over two.

Different example type, different things weighing into it, heck even different scale of markets. It's not an equivalent example.

You just took the Japan sentence out of context for the console war when Made the same observation for both consoles. Then when on arguing about Xbox sales in Japan which I never even brought up.

I brought that up because it was my way of looking into the deeper picture WRT that market and putting some rather popular talking points under scrutiny. Plus, those points addressed were still pertinent to the topic itself.

The rest of your post is also just as fabricated, I didn't say the "S" was selling out "everywhere", and your gamepass complaints about not driving software sales relied on you referencing developers that complained about it but not the ones that didn't, I didn't even bring up what you were arguing about anyway.

The point about the "GamePass drives software sales" argument is that Microsoft themselves claimed that last year, then a ton of people started doing so when looking at MLB The Show numbers and (assumptive) numbers for Outriders, and also looking at player counts for those games. So you had MS themselves and lots of fans saying "GamePass increases sales numbers" as a blanket statement, a universal truth.

So if that were true, there would not be examples of games where that isn't true, yet that year we saw several, even in the case of a few indie games. Which is why I said that the idea "GamePass drives software sales" cannot be a universal truth, and should be applied more strictly and on case-by-case instances.

Your whole post is grossly dishonest and misleading.

I think you feel that way simply because it's contesting things WRT likely Series LTD sales numbers, demand levels etc. that you don't want to accept as being a probability or aren't ready to accept as being a probability.

Well a while ago a lot of folks would not have been willing to accept that GamePass growth on console is slowing down, yet Phil Spencer himself has come out and basically confirmed that. So if it's already happened before, other strongly held-to beliefs among the faithful can be proven wrong by the source itself in the future, if you don't want to believe what those like myself are making educated guesses on right now.

ased of the number estimates I provided, which actually have a method & science behind them

No, Amperes numbers are far from other estimates and are completely nonsense with little support. They also screwed up Switch figures multiple times making people think there was decline when it was growing.

there are a LOT of anecdotal accounts of Series S units on store shelves regularly, paired with retailers cutting the price, and throwing in 1 to 2 free games.

This doesn't have anything to do with the fact the S IS doing what it was designed to do, get impulse buyers who are unlikely people who are enthusiasts who post on gaming forums to buy an entry-level consoles at $299-$269 recently.

You are only viewing this exclusively through the lens of consoles warring instead of just looking at the consoles performance by itself. We have using reliable estimates somewhere between 17-20 million Xbox consoles sold as of right now. The X has been supply constrained in many areas and everyone knows that the X has only recently started to become easier to get where as before the S was the console that had HIGHER PRODUCTUCTION and took up shelf space while the PS5 and XBX were out of stock. None of this is new.

So most of whatever sales the XBS is at, even in its strongest markets like the US, has been held up mostly by the Series S. When the X improves availability I do expect that there's a chance that it will start catching up with the S since there's a limit to how many people are going to buy the weakest entry-level next gen console even at a low price instead of the real deal, but most of these sales have been held up by the S, because before S production increased it could be argued the X may have had sold more or were close, but eventually it became clear the S became the primary sources of XBS family sales.

The S was designed to do that, complement the X by getting those budget cautious, casual, parents, or Fortnite gamers to consider going to next gen early. It did it's job as millions of XBS sales came from the S, and it's becoming clear based on offline and online discussion that the Series S is not exactly appealing to gamers in general that know what's what, so the audience mostly buying the S outside some games using it as a secondary unit, are primarily from the above groups.

If not for the S, the XBS consoles would have sold half or less what they have currently sold. The S has literally done what Microsoft intended it to do. Microsoft never intended for the S to sell 400million units in 5 days which seems to be what you're arguing, showing you didn't pay attention to the interviews that were talking about it before and right when it launched. It's also very obvious to many people that Microsoft has stuffed stores with S shipments, even in other countries you see this where there's a lot of S and little X in comparison. In Japan thousands of S are sold and are easy to get, while there are weeks in japan where the X has sold triple digits or less iirc, because they aren't producing and shipping as many X's.

THIS is why the S has a bunch of promos and will be looking at a price cut, to move inventory and to give more reason for the groups I mentioned above who have kids, or who just want to play Fortnite or other games without spending $500 to buy it, it's not a demand issue, the S has had the same demand it has always had. The most you can realistically say is that Microsoft are trying to take advantage of the empty shelves with no Series X or PS5's by having a bunch of S's available to fill those spaces, which they have been doing for over a year, but the demand has never changed for the S, it's been selling gradually just like it always has.

What you're trying to argue is that the S is failing to do what MS wanted it to do which is a completely bizarre line of reasoning. It's attracting the exact people Microsoft expected it to, and MS is trying to milk that audience as much as possible while the other two consoles are still having supply chain issues.

You can say Series had a whole year without any games, but you're still underplaying the fact PS5 went a LONG time this year in the US without a lot of actual stock. The stock situation started improving in mid-summer or so, and we've seen PS5 consistently outselling Series as a result. There is simply more demand for it, even in America, and the gap you're referring to isn't an actual indication of relative demand between the two products.

I never mentioned demand between the XBS vs. PS5, you're constantly rewording my posts to fit a console war narrative. I said that the PS5 is falling more behind the PS4, and the XBS is moving further ahead of the XBO/360. you keep artificially coming to the conclusion I'm saying PS5 demand is dropping. It's not. XBS sales is rising because it's starting to get more stock, PS5 sales declining because it's not shipping and selling what they need to compared to the PS4. Given where the PS4 was at this point and how it started to sell faster by now, it makes perfect sense that the PS5 started falling behind. It has nothing to do with the XBS having more "demand" than the PS5 which you made up.

Your other odd argument is that the PS5 outsold the XBS because it had more stock in the US specifically and that's because there's more demand for the PS5 iyo, which doesn't make any sense because the production of the PS5 increased a lot, but the X has not as it has only increased marginally and gradually each month in the US. When Microsoft beat the PS5 those 3 months in a row (and it wasn't just one vague source like your misleading on) in the US, that was mostly led by the S where both the PS5 and the X were hard to find especially in stores. This situation has NOT changed on the XBS side but on the PS5 side has changed as the PS5 has increased production numbers significantly. If MS is selling only modestly more X's in the US than it did when it won 3 months in a row with Series S being the leading cause (though one of those months has a big X shipment which coincidentally produced the biggest gap) than an increase of production would obviously have the PS5 a bit ahead. This is not a "demand" argument it's a stock one. It only tells us that both X and PS5 were hard to get and the S helped MS won by availability, with out much change in production for Xbox but a notable change for PS5, the PS5 would slightly charge ahead by default.

You can say it's a "demand" argument if you see the PS5 outsell the XBS by more than 1.5-2 million across this November and December with the stockpile of X's Microsoft is preparing for the holiday months along with whatever S's they will put out. Then we will know it's a demand issue in the US, otherwise that conclusion is just ridiculous as of now.

A couple of months later, Microsoft puts out a tweet on social media (IIRC to appeal to the CMA amid the ongoing ABK acquisition investigation) that includes combined sales figures for XBO & Xbox Series. Since these numbers were provided to appeal to the CMA's investigation, we can assume they were accurate, and likely went with sold-through as sold-in would have given higher numbers (and the point of this is that MS would want to appear like a smaller player in the CMA's eyes so go with the measure that would give you the smaller numbers). This number is 63.7 million. Now, we have had NUMEROUS analysts estimate that XBO lifetime sales were something in the 50 million'ish ballpark. There was an official report stating that XBO's lifetime sales were "less than half" that of PS4's. So less than (117 million / 2 =) 58.5 million.

However, this single tweet now presents a problem. If Xbox One sales were at exactly 58.5 million, and MS are giving a combined XBO & Series figure of 63.7 million, then that produces a total of only 5.2 million Series X & S units sold-through, which is impossible unless MS are sourcing numbers from early-mid 2021 (which, why would they be doing that in the first place?). But we know they aren't, because the Nintendo numbers provided in that same tweet are roughly accurate to where they were at that time (confirmed recently by Nintendo's latest fiscal results), and Sony's numbers Microsoft provided were actually a slight overestimate by something like 5 million even by the point where Sony actually confirmed 25 million PS5s sold, let alone at the specific time the tweet was made (where the overestimate would have been higher).

So this brings us to a few things worth considering. One, it sort of confirms Ampere's numbers for Series back in June may have likely been sold-in, not sold-through. Either that, or MS are providing Series sold-through numbers from the close of their FY 2021, which ended on May 31st, 2022. Meaning that if Ampere's 13.8 million were sold-in, then Series sold-through was 13.16 in BEST case because we also have to refer to MS's tweet, giving combined Series & XBO totals of 63.7 million. If you take the lowest possible end of XBO LTD numbers possible for the generation while still meeting previous professional estimates and suggestions, you would have at least 50 million. Statista provides a XBO lifetime total of 50.54 million which is on the lowest end for XBO but also provides the best-case scenario for Series sold-through at a point of 19 months into Series console lifecycle that clearly tracks ahead of 360, XBO, and also lines up very well with Microsoft's own combined figures tweet.

And so there you have it right there: at SOME point between May 31, 2022 and the time of MS making that tweet of combined XBO/Series sales figures to appeal to the CMA (assuming they were not lowballing their sold-through numbers, otherwise that will cause them a LOT of problems going forward in the investigation), Series sold-through sales were likely at 13.16 million. It has been roughly five months since that point, if you are to believe the figures from MS's tweet were at the close of their previous FY, so you can factor in roughly another 1 million - 1.5 million (ish) units having been sold globally during the time in-between (consider that MS gave a forecast before FY 2022 that they expected Series sales numbers to be flat QoQ for FY 2022 Q1 and Q2) and that gets you to an absolute best case of 14.5 million Series sold-through as of roughly this time.

However, if you want to believe that the combined figures MS gave in their tweet were reflective of numbers at around that point in time (or relative to the start of Q2, which began in September), then that best-case scenario for total sales drops a lot, from a possible peak of 14.5 million to a peak of maybe 13.5 million (or maybe, maybe 13.8 million) to the current time for Series.

Those are the only realistic possibilities IMHO, and again they are still good for the brand. They are still tracking ahead of 360 and XBO (well, specifically if they are at 14.5 million LTD right now, though they may narrowly still be ahead of them if they're at the softer 13.8 million or even 13.5 million), it's just not a 25 million figure like PS5 and I think that's the part some of you are upset with because you want to imagine that the sold-through numbers for both systems is a lot closer. Well in all honesty, in the most probable scenarios, they simply aren't, but that doesn't mean Series is doing "badly". You need to stop subconsciously thinking that.

Illogical analysis.

The reason why you keep holding on to Ampere numbers for dear life that even sales forums or major outlets aren't using, and intentionally omitting any other estimates of XBS sales numbers (and dodging when that's called out) is nothing more than bias and wanting to believe the XBS is failing because for some reason you are invested in consoles wars. There's no other plausible explanation for this stubbornness to use a poorly supported source barely anyone uses.

Even then you still screw up anyway. You're trying to argue that with the CMA report of 63.7 Million, about ~50 million of that was Xbox One so that leaves ~13.7 for XBS, and that is within rage of Amperes estimates of 13.8 million. Here's the reason why your CMA theory doesn't swim,

The Microsoft CMA post of 63.7 million consoles sold, with XBO and XBS combined? WAS AS OF THE END OF 2021

Microsoft has officially revealed the Xbox console platform's full install base as of 2021 as part of new arguments against the UK's Competition Markets Authority regulatory body.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/89000/microsoft-gives-xbox-console-installed-base-numbers/index.html

For Ampere's numbers to be "right" or "close" in June 2022, the Xbox Series consoles would have had to sell practically nothing from December 2021 until June 2022. Which doesn't make any sense, stop using bad fake numbers they aren't real. You're trying to match Amperes estimate from launch TO June 2022 with the CMA shipments which are from the end of 2021, that doesn't make any sense.

To further crush your theory and Amperes numbers we can just look back to the thread I linked you to before, that you have now avoided twice.

You're saying Amperes numbers in June would have put the Xbox Series ahead of the Xbox one, but it wouldn't have.

Xbox One reached 10 million shipped early November. In the US ALONE Xbox won the holidays and sold 2.7 million consoles in Nov and December. That already puts the Xbox One by Jan 2015 at 12.7 million units without including the rest of NA: Canada and Mexico. You also have the UK, where Xbox also had strong sales those two months and was number one, the rest of Europe, Asia, South America, and everywhere else.

10 million shipped couldn't be less than 9 million sold even if we assumed that there were still 900k shipments on shelves (that problem from the start of 2014 that was over by that point especially with the promos) so even if we went with 9 million sold of that 10 million shipped, 2.7 million sold consoles just in the US alone in Nov and Dec puts that total at 11.7 million sold. Mexico and Canada push that past 12 million, UK alone after puts it over 13 and possibly even 14 across those two months, everywhere else contributes the rest. You are looking at ~14 million sales of the Xbox One in Jan 2015 either way. Ampere's numbers were for June so with ~14 million consoles sold for Xbox One in January 2015, you now have to add 6 more months of sales, that puts the Xbox much further than 14 million even if you go with the lower-end number.

So to believe that Ampere's numbers are "accurate" (rofl) with 13.8 million XBS consoles, or even using your statement where you said sold-through is "less" than that (what?) the XBS would have had to been 2-3 million units BEHIND the Xbox One. But we KNOW that the XBS was ahead of the Xbox One (and 360) when Ampere's numbers came out, so this isn't possible.

Your whole theory falls apart in both respects, trying to link Amperes claimed June 2022 numbers with CMAs end of 2021 numbers, and then the estimates of Ampere putting the XBS behind the Xbox One when it should be ahead sold or shipped.

And somehow you don't think that is going to be resolved with games like FF XVI or VII Intergrade? Again, if PS5 software sales are supposedly poor in Japan, than Series software sales would be absolutely pitiful,

Dude, I literally told you in the last post you clearly ignored I never argued XBS vs. PS5 in japan. You're still pushing this for some reason. I gave one example of the PS5 and one example of the XBS ALSO that showed both are selling on hype and both have examples of where their games sales are too low and if they don't fix them, hardware sales will crash when the honeymoon period is over.

I used the US where XBS lacks stronger games and software sales, and Japan, where PS5 lacks stronger games and software sales, as two examples of the overall problem of needing to get software moving before the honeymoon period ends. You took a small section mentioning PS5 and Japan and went on some rant about something I never even said about XBS also having bad software sales in japan, this is obvious, I never made that argument.

Also, VII intergrade isn't resolving anything, the best selling PS5 game in Japan right now is GT7 with only 157k sales and PS5 has been out for nearly 2 years with 2 million consoles sold, FFVII Intergrade hasn't even sold 50,000 copies yet, the PS5 software sales are abysmal in the region, and like Microsoft in other region they need to get software moving so that long term hardware sales flourish or the sales will collapse. Both companies need to do this in their stronger markets, for the west Sony is starting to improve on that front but it's not happening yet in Japan, and with Microsoft they need to work on their delays in their stronger markets.

Well a while ago a lot of folks would not have been willing to accept that GamePass growth on console is slowing down, yet Phil Spencer himself has come out and basically confirmed that.

This is silly and I'm not the only person in this thread that has pointed this out, but unsurprisingly you avoided both of them.

You're clearly trying to argue that the appeal of gamepass is fading and that's why growth is slowing, instead of the logical reason which is Microsoft only has two consoles out that are both somewhat constrained though one much more so than the other (Series X), and that gamepass can only grow at a rate that there are consoles available. Which was pointed out before and you never addressed coincidentally.

I also find this "can't accept ltd" thing ironic because it's you who can't accept that Amperes numbers are fake, and an outlier for how low they were compared to other estimates with credibility (I have no idea why you keep bringing up Vgchartz), and won't accept that the XBS is not failing as bad as you want it to, and that the S is doing what Microsoft intended for it do to.

No one here is going to say the PS5 isn't ahead of the XBS this is obvious, everyone also knows that Microsoft didn't release any major titles this entire year unless they have a surprise game (not likely) in the next 6 weeks. The only thing abnormal here is you clinging onto ampere numbers no analysts, outlets, or sales forums are using that have the XBS behind the Xbox One of all things.

Your post has a lot of misinformed analysis, and you're trying to create twist as much as possible to come to ONLY negative Xbox conclusions based almost entirely on two sources, one with fake numbers, and one where you removed context from one of Phils statement in an interview, those two are the root of your entire argument and all your theories.

As we go into the holiday season where sales announcements and leaks are plenty, you will find out just how far off these guesses are I reckon.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I flew into France last week for Paris games week and there were ps5s on the plane...quite a few actually....so there were deffo ps5s in France for a while......

...until the plane took off anyway...

So yeah, plenty of ps5s in France...atleast for a few days.....

sacrebleu !

With all the recent deals only focusing on Series S and not the X this may have hit the nose harder than the rock

Microsoft has no intention of many promos on the X, only limited. They must be expecting whatever stock they send out to be gone pretty quick, so over produced Series S to cover for the rest of November. I assume they will do the same for December as well.

Because they saw something one time or another at a local Target or some such ..

Clearly this means every single target has the X in stock. Including the Targets in France.

Due to recent events(NPD), wanted to remind people that this thread happened, since there seems to be some...theories going around as if this shortage was never telegraphed by this statement, or others like it, before the big holiday rush even started.

Hopefully Xbox can resolve this issue in time for games like Redfall, Forza, and Starfield, but they haven't been doing much to remedy this so far, we'll see.

Last edited:

NickFire

Due to recent events(NPD), wanted to remind people that this thread happened, since there seems to be some...theories going around as if this shortage was never telegraphed by this statement, or others like it, before the big holiday rush even started.

Hopefully Xbox can resolve this issue in time for games like Redfall, Forza, and Starfield, but they haven't been doing much to remedy this so far, we'll see.
They might be selling through stock before a big shipment(s) at a new wholesale price since Phil mentioned possibility of price increases before. They might also just be starting to hold units back for those games. I'd imagine all three will have bundles they will want to promote.

Series X out of stock at normal prices everywhere in Sweden. There was supposed to be a shipment around the end of January but either they were all snapped up or it was a small one. Series S available everywhere as usual so I really don’t know if Microsoft has chosen the right production split of X vs S.

Series X out of stock at normal prices everywhere in Sweden. There was supposed to be a shipment around the end of January but either they were all snapped up or it was a small one. Series S available everywhere as usual so I really don’t know if Microsoft has chosen the right production split of X vs S.

Yes, the X shortages is still a global thing in many places. It seems they couldn't even make enough for US for NPD Nov, so I'm guessing there's going to be a similar result when we get December numbers too.

Microsoft has to do something about X shipments, they didn't take as much damage as they could have across 2022, but now in 2023 they won't be able to coast the whole year again. Especially when PS5 has fixed it's problems, they may even start making more PS5D now.

Top Bottom