• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox France: There are not enough Xbox Series X in circulation to meet demand this holiday. (Supply shortage)

reinking

Gold Member
So you're telling me a hot electronic item is going to be in short supply during the holiday season.

Oh My God Wow GIF

marjo

The Source store (used to be radio shack) that I went to last week here in Ontario had PS5 (bundles only) but no XSX.

Hoddi

Xss is at a $300. That is already a loss at the price point.
If it was $400, maybe.
Why though? The S only has half the memory chips of the X as well as a half sized APU and half sized SSD. It also runs off a 128-bit bus against the 320-bit bus in the X.

A single chip of GDDR6 costs something like $25 at wholesale prices. MS obviously gets a better deal than that but even at $15 then that's a cost difference of $75 for the memory alone.

feynoob

Banned
Why though? The S only has half the memory chips of the X as well as a half sized APU and half sized SSD. It also runs off a 128-bit bus against the 320-bit bus in the X.

A single chip of GDDR6 costs something like $25 at wholesale prices. MS obviously gets a better deal than that but even at $15 then that's a cost difference of $75 for the memory alone.
Because xss parts cost more than $300. It isnt a switch with dock station.

Even the ps5 digital at $400 is sold at a loss for Sony. While their disc version is finally not making any loss for them.

Hoddi

Because xss parts cost more than $300. It isnt a switch with dock station.

Even the ps5 digital at $400 is sold at a loss for Sony. While their disc version is finally not making any loss for them.
It also doesn't include a display.

I don't really have any strong opinions on this though. I'd just be surprised if it was sold at a loss.

feynoob

Banned
It also doesn't include a display.

I don't really have any strong opinions on this though. I'd just be surprised if it was sold at a loss.
The price entry is far cheaper than the total cost.
Xss shouldn't be a $300 console. Especially at current economic, where parts are still expensive and the price is taking too long to go down.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Ehhhhhhhh...

The only way I see this being true is if for some reason they are not giving France any Series X's deliberately.

The UK is the biggest buyer of Xbox within Europe because we have a similar affinity to our cousins across the pond for generic shooters. You have been able to just walk into anywhere and buy a series X for like a year at this point, hell it's how I got mine. You can literally just go on Amazon at any time and buy one right now.

So unless Microsoft has gone "Le fuck it, France gets nothing, hon hon hon" I can't see this being an actual thing.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Is it? I thought XSS is like half the size and clocked differently.
We had that discussion around early or last years, if my memory is correct.

The xss was taking less 🎲. MS were somewhat making more xss that way, despite Sony having more wafers.

I can't find that thread sadly.

Lasha

We had that discussion around early or last years, if my memory is correct.

The xss was taking less 🎲. MS were somewhat making more xss that way, despite Sony having more wafers.

I can't find that thread sadly.

Ohhhh I see. You can't use the APU from the series S to make a series X. Its different. Since the size of the series S APU is around half you get around twice as many chips per wafer. There are twice as many Series S chips as Series X chip per wafer. Microsoft could theoretically use those wafers for Series X die which would could then be used for more X consoles.

I find that surprising if true as Series X had been freely available for months at normal price in Sweden. And my understanding is that Sweden is less pro-Sony than the south of Europe. Plus Sony has been able to massively increase production, why hasn’t MS?

yazenov

MS will focus their supply to their two most successful territories, the US and UK during the holiday season.

Its pretty obvious that the remain countries will get less supply due to less demand anyways.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member

Looks like even with stockpiling the Xbox Series X (not S) won't have enough product to meet demand worldwide this holiday season based on Xbox's projections. I assume the same is true for Sony based on their recent lower than expected production.

It looks like at the earliest mid 2023 may start to see real improvement, but it could be as late as fall next year if things don't trend upward by then.

Microsoft is still selling almost every Xbox Series X (not S) they can make. Especially in retail stores, people who are looking at online retailers better get theirs quick before the holiday rush starting next week.
Getting Xbox in France is relatively easy, they pop up frequently on Fnac and Amazon. I got it twice and sold it both times.

Getting a PS5 is impossible.

modiz

I was at Target today (NY). They had 1 Series X, 2 Series S consoles, 4 Series X all access.

They also had about 4 Switch regular consoles, 2 OLED Switches, and a bunch of Switch lites.

They had 0 PS5 consoles.

Just thought id share.
That surely helps in the grand scheme.

Moses85

smh 2 years and we're still not at a point where one can walk in a store and reliably be able to buy a new-gen console.

the chip shortage and covid related shake ups and its effect is still being felt very strongly.
Xbox Series Consoles are in Stock here in Germany everywhere…

PS5 is still a hughe Problem to get.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Well maybe MS is shifting units to USA because I've seen plenty of SX on fnacs in france (paris) and this was in JuLy

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Looks like even with stockpiling the Xbox Series X (not S) won't have enough product to meet demand worldwide this holiday season based on Xbox's projections. I assume the same is true for Sony based on their recent lower than expected production.

It looks like at the earliest mid 2023 may start to see real improvement, but it could be as late as fall next year if things don't trend upward by then.

Microsoft is still selling almost every Xbox Series X (not S) they can make. Especially in retail stores, people who are looking at online retailers better get theirs quick before the holiday rush starting next week.
It makes sense, especially on MS’s side not to over spend trying to boost units even more overseas where currency issues would cause them to widen the loss they already make on units as they did not readjust the console prices.

It would be interesting to see on which console their loss is highest, is it the XSX or XSS?

Soosa

Banned

Interesting, on last december (whole month + some weeks of january 2022) series x were easily available at Finland, you could just walk in a store and buy them. Not in every store chain, but on the biggest one and some others too.

So, is demand going up so much, or is there much less consoles now? or both? Or it is just few countries that have supply issues

Series X have been available for months now here, and series S have been available since the launch. Used consoles go for around 350€ for series x and 100-150€ for series S here, so that too indicates that demand isnt really that high anymore.

When they have been in stores for months and used consoles are much cheaper than new ones, it looks unlikely that even holiday season would turn up the demand so much that they become unavailable again.

Maybe France have different situation, but it seems not to be the case on whole world.

Orta

Banned
The usual fanboys that live on the forum already laugh reacting lol. Sad. Do something productive instead of trolling Xbox at every turn, like hitting the gym.

Forum should have subcategories tbh. Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony.

Godot25

Banned
I was at Target today (NY). They had 1 Series X, 2 Series S consoles, 4 Series X all access.

They also had about 4 Switch regular consoles, 2 OLED Switches, and a bunch of Switch lites.

They had 0 PS5 consoles.

Just thought id share.
Well. In our country we have PS5 Ragnarok bundle consoles in stock in almost every major retailer
Same for Series X and Series S.

Portugal is full of Series X and has been easy to track one for like a year if you want one. Had no idea things were different in France.

My local Walmart has been keeping the series S in stock pretty much all the time, with XSX showing up about once a week or so. I seen 6 XSX on the shelf last Friday, those usually don’t last too long. Not too sure how big the market is in France, but i’d imagine Sony snd Microsoft are focusing on their key money markets when it comes to allocating their stock. I can say, that it’s for sure easier to get ahold of XSX/XSS. Demand is still insane for PS5. I could see Microsoft selling 80-100 million consoles this generation. The momentum is there, and they are trying to right the ship from the XB1 days.

Now, they need to focus on content, games like Ragnarök would piss me off snd make me set fire to every AAA division under my yoke at Xbox. They can have the same quality of games too if they so choose it.

I think every loyal fan of Xbox should demand this.

Zug

Series X/S have never been hard to find in France, this is PR stunt to create artificial FOMO. Xbox isn't very big here and has never been.
PS5s are nearly impossible to get since day 1 though, unless you are subscribed to like 30 sites with alerts on, and can pull the trigger in less than a minute, which only scalpers (with tools) and insane people will do.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Lol okaay, thats as much bull shit as me walking around and saying their isn’t enough time to have sex with all of these women that are attracted to me.

Top Bottom