• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass – Friends and Family may be coming to the US soon for $39.95 (May be New Zealand Price)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
PICTURE AND PRICE ARE NEWZEALAND DASHBOARD.

Ah well, looks like it's not ready for the US yet.

On the flip side .. $40 NZ = $25 USD.

So there's a chance it'll be even cheaper when it hits stateside. Nice.

No official announcement (yet), but this is available on the Xbox dashboard

Last edited by a moderator:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Will this Family plan allow users with multiple consoles at home (more than 2) to sign in? Currently, If you only have two consoles, you're fine. You can have your home console and another console. But as soon as you have more than 2, the third console kicks out the 2nd console. and I believe you can only do that a limited amount of times. Anyways, I'm hoping this plan will allow me to play in any of my 3 consoles without issues. I'm not sure why this is even an issue. Xbox One S are very affordable, Its not out of the ordinary for someone to have more than 2.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Will this Family plan allow users with multiple consoles at home (more than 2) to sign in? Currently, If you only have two consoles, you're fine. You can have your home console and another console. But as soon as you have more than 2, the third console kicks out the 2nd console. and I believe you can only do that a limited amount of times. Anyways, I'm hoping this plan will allow me to play in any of my 3 consoles without issues. I'm not sure why this is even an issue. Xbox One S are very affordable, Its not out of the ordinary for someone to have more than 2.
Sounds like you can.

Xbox Game Pass – Friends and Family Price and Details​

According to the details, one month of Family and Friends subscription will cost approximately $39.95 per month. Here are the benefits listed for the subscription plan.

• Ultimate benefits shared among 5 friends and family
  • Include friends and family outside your household
  • Enjoy hundreds of games together including new releases on day one
  • Each account gets their own history, achievements, gamertag and saves
  • Play at the same time on console, PC & Cloud
  • With games added all the time, there’s always something new for everyone

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
$8 per person instead of the $15 GPU usually is.

If you have 5 friends/family gamers to use this with, you're cutting the monthly price in half, essentially. Great deal for those folks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. This would cost $75 a month. Saving $35 a month which is about half is a really good deal for those who have 5 family members/friends that they trust and play on Xbox. Makes sense as to why they eliminated that $1 deal for Ultimate.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I've been doing it since I'm from one of those first test countries, this plus regional pricing makes it a steal lol no wonder they removed the $1 entry price, I saw it coming when I read the note

gothmog

Gold Member
10 bucks to much! I would need 5 people for this to be a good deal for me.
Agreed. I have a step son and being able to have us play on all the consoles between two houses and our devices would probably be worth it. But $40 is way too much unless you're willing to abuse it by bill sharing.

Dural

I love the idea of a family plan, but 5 accounts is too many. I have 4 kids, but only two play xbox so I'd need 3 accounts. Hopefully they'll have a lower price plan for less accounts.

adamsapple

Not worth it, I will be done with game pass once my subscription is up.

At some point you got to get off the Xbox hamster wheel of hope.

Nick Young Wtf GIF

Some y'all have a hard time keeping it bottled in.

C2brixx

$40/month for gaming is pretty steep. Microsoft should buy Philo or some other cheap stream tv app to add to Ultimate to make the higher price worth it for a family. The only scenario where this makes scenes is 5 people gaming in different households. Sounds like a headache.

reinking

Gold Member
As long as they do not close the conversion loophole. The last time I converted it was about $5 per month without me changing regions for a better deal. Friends and Family isn't a bad deal but I like not having the hassle/pressure of having to pay in a group.

XesqueVara

Some are saying the Print is from NZD where GPU is already $20, better wait for official confirmation.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Even if someone pays full price (I think $15/month in the US), you can do home sharing with someone.

This deal only seems worth it if you got 4 or 5 doing it wanting to all be under one GP sub plan.

Xbox home console is an existing feature that allows you to share games and content with other people who sign in to your home console with their profile. However, it’s limited to that device, so friends and family must sign in to the console you identify as your home Xbox to access those benefits.

While Xbox home console applies to only one console (the one you choose to be your home console), this plan allows you to share your membership across multiple devices, and it’s not limited to just one console.

When you share with Friends & Family, the primary account holder and up to four additional members each get their own unique access to all Xbox Game Pass Ultimate games, content, and benefits, regardless of what device they play on. All the people you invite can play at the same time, even the same game.

The people you invite can play games on any supported devices they sign in to, and their individual play history attached to their gamertags carries across all supported devices.

Seems pretty good as long as someone in your group doesn't suddenly decide they don't want to play anymore.

May feel difficult to get five whole people but then again if you had two kids and then your sibling had two kids, you could split the cost. Even with only four users (assuming the parent isn't interested) that's still $10 per user versus $15 without the deal. Plus, you wouldn't necessarily need to even have an Xbox, the other users could sign in from a tablet or a browser etc and play that way so you have the option of saving on device cost.

Same applies if you have two kids and your cousin has two kids, or your friend has two kids. That's all assuming you don't have four friends willing to split the cost.

As long as Microsoft can keep the games coming, this could be a hit among university students, who are always looking for a bargain anyway.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Thank goodness, $40 u.s was way too rich for my blood. $25 u.s sounds more like something I would consider.

supernova8

Banned

So the price is actually 25 USD not 40 USD.

If it's $25 USD then that's a fucking steal haha, saves money over the individual Ultimate subscription even by just having two users splitting the cost. Five users at $5 each, presumably forever. $60 per year for unlimited access to all the Ultimate benefits, all the games. I mean seriously hard to argue against with the current selection of games, and even harder once Xbox releases more of its exclusives (Starfield, Fable, Avowed etc. etc.).

I'm already paying for Ultimate and I don't know anyone here personally (Japan lol) who's interested in Xbox unfortunately.

Last edited:

adamsapple

If it's $25 USD then that's a fucking steal haha, saves money over the individual Ultimate subscription even by just having two users splitting the cost. Five users at $5 each, presumably forever. $60 per year for unlimited access to all the Ultimate benefits, all the games. I mean seriously hard to argue against with the current selection of games, and even harder once Xbox releases more of its exclusives (Starfield, Fable, Avowed etc. etc.)

Yeah, $8 for GPU is a great deal.

$5 for GPU will be fucking incredible.

supernova8

Banned
Yeah, $8 for GPU is a great deal.

$5 for GPU will be fucking incredible.
Game Pass has been a lifesaver for me because I have no real preference for any specific game. Exactly the same (positive) effect as what I found with Amazon Prime Video. Trying a bunch of stuff I never would have if I had to pay full price. Playing on Series S so a bit janky here and there (not always solid frame rates, using the Xbox One X profile for some old games, and not taking advantage of my 4K TV) but overall happy so far. Will definitely get a Series X once all the heavy hitter titles start coming out.

Anyway I'll leave it there so this doesn't turn into a gush-a-thon haha!

Last edited:

The Australia Xbox support page says yes -

When you share with Friends & Family, the primary account holder and up to four additional members each get their own unique access to all Xbox Game Pass Ultimate games, content, and benefits, regardless of what device they play on. All the people you invite can play at the same time, even the same game.

Now I just have to wait for the program to hit Aussie shores so I can take advantage (myself, two kids and a secondary account or two = the perfect 5). It seems weird they tested in smaller player count countries first then released to their USA market and not others e.g. Australia. Weird but happy to wait a bit.

supernova8

Banned
That’s the prepayment cost if you split it up per month, once that trick is not working this could be an alternative.
True but don't forget a dollar in your pocket today is worth more than a dollar in your pocket a year from now (aka the time value of money). There's an opportunity cost to paying upfront if you can get the same benefit without paying upfront. Logically, it would have to be cheaper than $5 per month to make up for that disadvantage.

Last edited:

adamsapple

How come so many people on Twitter are saying the $40 is new Zealand $

Because it is. Jawmunher was the source of the original image, they'd forgotten to change their region back to the US after changing it to NZ for playing RE4 remake early ,or something along that line.

That image and pricing is from the NZ region apparently.

Three

Don't know, doesn't seem like much of a saving. Considering the gold conversion trick, you've got to wonder why anybody here would promote this price. It's way steeper isn't it?

It would be like $300 or $480 a year.

Even if in the unlikely event you have a large family who need 5 separate gamepass accounts you can get 5 separate accounts for cheaper or around the same price with the gold conversion. If you actually only need 2-3 accounts in your family it becomes even less worth it.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Agreed. I have a step son and being able to have us play on all the consoles between two houses and our devices would probably be worth it. But $40 is way too much unless you're willing to abuse it by bill sharing.

$40 is too much for two of you. For 5 people, this is absolutely a steal, drops it down to $8.

Godot25

Banned
Don't know, doesn't seem like much of a saving. Considering the gold conversion trick, you've got to wonder why anybody here would promote this price. It's way steeper isn't it?

It would be like $300 or $480 a year.

Even if in the unlikely event you have a large family who need 5 separate gamepass accounts you can get 5 separate accounts for cheaper or around the same price with the gold conversion. If you actually only need 2-3 accounts in your family it becomes even less worth it.
Maybe because Gold conversion trick won't be here forever :). And it also requires expired Game Pass Ultimate subscription to work. So if you stacked 3 years (which is maximum) in 2021 (for example), you are safe until 2024, but you can't extend it until it will expire. And I doubt Microsoft will let this conversion trick valid for next year or so.

GPF&F is 21,99€ (in my region) for 5 people which is 4,4€ per person per year. Which is literally insane value. Gold conversion trick is 5€ per month. So F&F is even better in that regard.

Also...that article is wrong. 39,99$ is for New Zeland. You can see that yourself if you switch your console to New Zeland region. Price for US will probably be 24,99$ per month.

Last edited:

Three

Why have the same user signed in on all the consoles? Don't use the same account if other people are on it. Set one as the home console, they can still use the games I think, though I'm not sure for gamepass, then sign in as the gamepass holder account on the other console. the third would need its own account. That means at maximum you need 2 gamepass subs (3 if gamepass doesn't allow sharing on the home console) . You can get 3 separate accounts much cheaper than this family plan.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
10 bucks to much! I would need 5 people for this to be a good deal for me.
All options are welcome, good that they are trying it. Like you say you really need 5 people and the downside is that unlike a solo subscription, if you are one of 5 dropping out, you would feel kind of guilty that others then have to pay more. Maybe that is by design from MS.

I would prefer a flexible option, with diminishing prices as you add friends/family. I can imagine getting it for me and my son, but at that price it is not worth it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom