• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass – Friends and Family may be coming to the US soon for $39.95 (May be New Zealand Price)

Ozriel

M$FT
Don't know, doesn't seem like much of a saving. Considering the gold conversion trick, you've got to wonder why anybody here would promote this price. It's way steeper isn't it?

It would be like $300 or $480 a year.

Even if in the unlikely event you have a large family who need 5 separate gamepass accounts you can get 5 separate accounts for cheaper or around the same price with the gold conversion. If you actually only need 2-3 accounts in your family it becomes even less worth it.

This is an official plan. There’s no telling if Gold conversion will always be there. Not to mention you’ll now need $15 to convert Gold, with the $1 trials removed. So not that much savings.

I suspect people are promoting this here because there’s an assumption that many of you have friends in real life.

If you actually only need 2-3 accounts in your family it becomes even less worth it.

It is called ‘Friends and family’ plan. Not just family only. Do you not have friends?

Three

It is called ‘Friends and family’ plan. Not just family only. Do you not have friends?
Nice gaslighting but I'd rather just tell my friends how to get 3 years of GPU for £80 (£2.20 per month) or whatever it is, with the VPN and gold conversion trick. It's cheaper. Don't even have to deal with "oh you haven't paid me this month" or any of that other baggage. They get a much cheaper deal on their own.

Maybe because Gold conversion trick won't be here forever :). And it also requires expired Game Pass Ultimate subscription to work. So if you stacked 3 years (which is maximum) in 2021 (for example), you are safe until 2024, but you can't extend it until it will expire. And I doubt Microsoft will let this conversion trick valid for next year or so.

GPF&F is 21,99€ (in my region) for 5 people which is 4,4€ per person per year. Which is literally insane value. Gold conversion trick is 5€ per month. So F&F is even better in that regard.

Also...that article is wrong. 39,99$ is for New Zeland. You can see that yourself if you switch your console to New Zeland region. Price for US will probably be 24,99$ per month.
Yeah if the gold conversion is removed then that would suck but right now it's cheaper to do the conversion trick. You can do the conversion trick cheaper than 5€ too if you get gold on CD keys/sale or through VPN.

Last edited:

GymWolf

vin-diesel-i-dont-have-friends.gif

Godot25

Banned
Nice gaslighting but I'd rather just tell my friends how to get 3 years of GPU for £80 (£2.20 per month) or whatever it is, with the VPN and gold conversion trick. Don't even have to deal with "oh you haven't paid me this month" or any of that other baggage. They get a much cheaper deal on their own.

Yeah if the gold conversion is removed then that would suck but right now it's cheaper to do the conversion trick. You can do the conversion trick cheaper than 5€ too if you get gold on CD keys/sale or through VPN.
I mean. By this logic, you could wait for F&F prices around the world and maybe use VPN that way :)
I imagine, that F&F sub in Argentina or Turkey will not cost that much.

Godot25

Banned
Y'all need to stop saying it's a "trick", becaue it's not; ms outlines the entire procedure in the gamepass terms and conditions and always have done so, it's literally an official method.
Yes, I get that it is "official policy" and not some shady shit (like using VPN). But I always envisioned it that it is Microsoft's way to move Gold members to GPU. Some kind of introductory offer. My point is that I don't think that this offer will be valid forever.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Why have the same user signed in on all the consoles? Don't use the same account if other people are on it. Set one as the home console, they can still use the games I think, though I'm not sure for gamepass, then sign in as the gamepass holder account on the other console. the third would need its own account. That means at maximum you need 2 gamepass subs (3 if gamepass doesn't allow sharing on the home console) . You can get 3 separate accounts much cheaper than this family plan.

because you all can't play each other off the same game then. this is a really good deal when its 3 or more

Three

I mean. By this logic, you could wait for F&F prices around the world and maybe use VPN that way :)
I imagine, that F&F sub in Argentina or Turkey will not cost that much.
We're doing an around the world conversion to get this F&F price but you're right we would have to wait and see what the best deal on it is or where it's rolled out.

Three

because you all can't play each other off the same game then. this is a really good deal when its 3 or more
Really? So if the assigned home console launches a game under a different account and the main account holder launches the same game on another console it boots the other user? That sucks if true. I'm not sure that's how it works but I've not tried it with subscription games. Maybe it's different there.

Ozriel

M$FT
Y'all need to stop saying it's a "trick", becaue it's not; ms outlines the entire procedure in the gamepass terms and conditions and always have done so, it's literally an official method.

It exists at Microsoft’s pleasure, though. They can terminate it anytime. Same way many here thought they’d be able to keep signing up for $1 trials in perpetuity.

With this F&F plan, they can find a way to neuter that and still provide a route for GPU savings.

Godot25

Banned
Really? So if the assigned home console launches a game under a different account and the main account holder launches the same game on another console it boots the other user? That sucks if true. I'm not sure that's how it works but I've not tried it with subscription games. Maybe it's different there.
It works like this (I have it set up with my brother)
I tagged my brother's console as a "Home" console. He and users on his console can play all games that I'm "sharing" with him including games from Game Pass sub.
Meanwhile I can also play all my games with my profile signed up. But users on my console can't access my games, because my "Home" console is not the console i have in my house.

Last edited:

Three

It works like that (I have it set up with my brother)
I tagged my brother's console as a "Home" console. He and users on his console can play all games that I'm "sharing" with him.
Meanwhile I can also play all my games with my profile signed up. But users on my console can't access my games, because my "Home" console is not the console i have in my house.
so they won't be booted then for playing the same game. That's good to hear. I do the same with my brother too but not sub games.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Yes, I get that it is "official policy" and not some shady shit (like using VPN). But I always envisioned it that it is Microsoft's way to move Gold members to GPU. Some kind of introductory offer. My point is that I don't think that this offer will be valid forever.

Plus some people (1) don't know about it and (2) probably couldn't be bothered doing the whole Gold conversion even if they did know about it.

Godot25

Banned
Btw.
Can the mods remove this thread?
It's false information that spreads through internet like wildfire. Guy who "reported" on it forgot to switch location on his Xbox console from NZ (probably so he could play RE4 Remake early), so system showed him that Game Pass F&F is live (in New Zeland it is available) for 39,95$. But in New Zeland currency.

Mod of War Mod of War ?

Ozriel

M$FT
Plus some people (1) don't know about it and (2) probably couldn't be bothered doing the whole Gold conversion even if they did know about it.

Yeah. The vast majority dont know about it, and most regular people will balk at using VPNs to buy cheap Gold from the likes of Turkey

Almost as expensive as a Youtube TV subscription. No thanks.

$40 is almost the same as $73?

phil_t98

#SonyToo

what are you even speaking about. you can all play different games at the same time but you can also play there same multiplayer game against each other. not that hard to comprehend

same goes with game sharing on xbox digital games, my friend buys Call of duty and me and him can play each other using the game sharing option that xbox has. we make sure we pan what game we buy so we don't buy the same game

Last edited:

Three

what are you even speaking about. you can all play different games at the same time but you can also play there same multiplayer game against each other. not that hard to comprehend
Um, you're the one who said:

Are you trying to confuse the shit out of me or what?

I was the one saying you can with 2 subs on 3 consoles. You came in and said you can't. Now you're saying you can and it's not hard to comprehend?

Last edited:

splattered

Hmmm I dunno. I have me my wife and 2 kids that use game pass ultimate but that's with sharing two of the consoles to the kids consoles. Seems cheaper to keep it the way it is right now, I'm sure I could give the 5th account to another family member but then I'd be footing the bill haha so... I'm gonna have to think on this.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Why have the same user signed in on all the consoles? Don't use the same account if other people are on it. Set one as the home console, they can still use the games I think, though I'm not sure for gamepass, then sign in as the gamepass holder account on the other console. the third would need its own account. That means at maximum you need 2 gamepass subs (3 if gamepass doesn't allow sharing on the home console) . You can get 3 separate accounts much cheaper than this family plan.

because you said this.

if the user is signed in on one console you can't use that account on other consoles at same time.

you cannot share gamepass like game sharing on xbox. simple as that only games you digitally own

ByWatterson

I'm confused why an actual family under one roof would need this. I have Game Pass Ultimate, and my son and wife have their own accounts under that, their own achievements, and can play all GP games I've downloaded on their own profiles.

Is this just for simultaneous play across multiple devices? Or is "family" just a euphemism for "account-sharing friends"?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Almost as expensive as a Youtube TV subscription. No thanks.

The price in OP is NZ dollars. It equates to $25 USD.

I've requested the OP to be changed via the report function, just waiting on it.

Three

because you said this.

if the user is signed in on one console you can't use that account on other consoles at same time.

you cannot share gamepass like game sharing on xbox. simple as that only games you digitally own
But that's what I covered and was asking if you read the full thing.

... they can still use the games I think, though I'm not sure for gamepass, then sign in as the gamepass holder account on the other console. the third would need its own account. That means at maximum you need 2 gamepass subs (3 if gamepass doesn't allow sharing on the home console) . You can get 3 separate accounts much cheaper than this family plan.

But you were beating around the bush to not say "gamepass doesn't allow game sharing"

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

US store page now online (wasn't there a few hours ago). Still no US pricing or official announcement.

tmlDan

if this is $50/mo in Canada its a rip off, there's no deal unless i get the max number of people on board.

I was waiting for this to use GP long term but this is no deal for me.

IF it's actually NZ, im not sure what the price will be here

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Was hoping for $20-$25. As it would just be for my daughter and myself. I’ll just get her her own ultimate account then.

splattered

$25 is a hell of a deal

If it ends up being $25 i will never unsubscribe from this stupid thing, even if i never use it.

I have both friends and family that will use this and appreciate it.

$25 for 5 people per month is a steal.

*Also, if they really put this out at $25 per month we can all expect this to EXPLODE and not slow down anytime soon... very smart of them.

Last edited:

splattered

if this is $50/mo in Canada its a rip off, there's no deal unless i get the max number of people on board.

I was waiting for this to use GP long term but this is no deal for me.

IF it's actually NZ, im not sure what the price will be here

I just used search engine to convert... NZ $40 to CA is $33.88

Agreed. I have a step son and being able to have us play on all the consoles between two houses and our devices would probably be worth it. But $40 is way too much unless you're willing to abuse it by bill sharing.
Indeed, MS is actually treating you as a criminal because they think they know people will abuse this service if they'd ask a family friendly price. It'd be much better in my opinion to just give a higher discount, the more accounts you put under 1 family. Now I can not take advantage of this "offer" with my son, and still have only 1 account because otherwise I have to pay for 2 full accounts being a real "family". Thank you MS for creating this stupid construction and you deserve all the abusing this sub will cause.

Top Bottom