• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass General Discussion

It's also a small Brazilian studio so it's nice to get smaller regional devs some limelight
Nice, I didn't know that! I'll buy the game then, it's only $22.49. I hope the game is a complete success because the developers have some serious talent. I love hearing successful stories from smaller developers and I wish more countries from Central and South America supported local game development.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Whether you've been itching to get your hands on Hades, Twelve Minutes, or Psychonauts 2, Xbox Game Pass is the gift that just keeps on giving. But beyond those heavy hitters, there's still a ton coming to Game Pass in August as well as a few that will be exiting the service. It's a good-sized list but we've got you covered, this is everything coming to and leaving Xbox Game Pass for PC, Console, and Cloud in August 2021.

On August 5th alone, there are multiple games joining the service including Curse of the Dead Gods, Dodgeball Academia, Katamari Damacy Reroll, and Starmancer. IGN's 2020 Game of the Year finally comes to Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S and will be hitting Game Pass on day one. Finally, two brand new games, Twelve minutes and Psychonauts 2, will also be hitting the service on release day.

Game Pass doesn't have the Splinter Cell games right? I've been itching to grab a Series S just for Game Pass. Just hope here in China the speeds are enough.

Kagey K

Banned
Game Pass doesn't have the Splinter Cell games right? I've been itching to grab a Series S just for Game Pass. Just hope here in China the speeds are enough.
No. There are currently no Splinter Cell games on Gamepass, but they have all been on sale for as low as 5.00 recently and probably will be again.

Last edited:
No. There are currently no Splinter Cell games on Gamepass, but they have all been on sale for as low as 5.00 recently and probably will be again.
Thank you. Been eager to play some nice stealth games, wouldn't mind going through the whole Splinter Cell saga.

Conviction and Chaos Theory were fucking amazing.

reksveks

7mkW3sd.jpg

Did they typically theme the touch overlay? Nice touch.

kingfey

Banned
Biggest misconception people have about gamepass, is treating it like you are buying the actual game.

That is just plain false. You dont own the games that are on gamepass. Once the sub is expired, all those games becomes unplayable. You will need to buy those games.

Gamepass has 6 month to 1 year deal to put 3rd party games on gamepass. There are other cases, where a game can stay for 2 year.

All 1st party games are on the service forever.

So, why doesn't gamepass affect 3rd party sales?

Gamepass nature is doing an advertising for the game, and providing a demo for players. It doesn't give them the full access of the game. If you want to play the game next month, you will have to pay the fees of gamepass.

Remember, games stay on the service for 6months to 1 year. But here is a catch to that. You must be available day1 for that. If you aren't, you won't have enough time to play the game.

Gamepass had red dead redemption 2 on the service for 6 months. People who subscribed to the service this year, were unable to play that game. This will apple to the future games.

Question: How do these devs make money of gamepass?

Answer: Ms pays them certain amount of money before the game hits gamepass. And in some cases, devs gets more money from players engagement.

Question: Wouldn't the devs lose money from this type of deal?

Answer: The biggest problems devs face is player base, and not the money. When you are selling a game, you need player base. You need people who will buy your products. Without some sort of consistent ads, deals, worth of mouth, or people praising it nonstop, your game won't have enough sales.
Gamepass is a perfect medium in this situation. Devs can secure a player base for the sequel of their game. They save alot of money from gamepass advertising, word to word mouth helps boost other non-gamepass platforms sales.
They still have the power to sell their games. Gamepass isn't giving out the games for free, like epic or ps+ (you will need the sub to keep them alive, but the game is yours). Their games have expired date on gamepass. Once that expiration hits, the game won't be on the service.
In that 1 year period, people will buy the game, to add it to their collection. That is extra sales, on top of the money MS gave them.

Question; Wouldn't gamepass hurt MS overall sales?

Answer: the problem with sales is the hardware limitations. Its mainly dependent on people who bought the hardware. Devices gets broken, people play f2p games. In these cases you dont see that much sales, and will need to rely on whales, who will buy every game that is expensive, or would spend tons of money on f2p games.
Gamepass provides a form of revenue, that is not affected by hardware limitations. People pay 10$ to 15$ for the service. 1$ is just a promotion. Its not meant to be forever. After the promotion ends, people will pay 10$ to 15$. This much money means nothing.
But if you have 20m users paying that monthly, that would be $200m to $300m monthly revenue from 20m users. This number would keep going up in the future, and won't slow down.

The more users they get, the more revenue gamepass generates.

Question: how does gamepass make money, to sustain these 3rd party games?

Answer: "PlayStation 4 was the highest source of income from player spending in Fortnite at 47 per cent of all total revenue from March 2018 through July 2020."
This is from mtx on fortnite that was on Playstation.
When gamepass gets games like that, it will generate more mtx money on top of the sub fees. Any dlc those 3rd party games have, will translate to sales, of players buy them. In short, gamepass has ways to make money from 3rd party games, in order to sustain itself.

Again, GAMEPASS 1$ PROMOTION IS LIMITED. ONCE YOUR TRIAL ENDS, YOU WILL PAY 10$ TO 15$. PEOPLE WONT BE ON THE 1$ ALOT. EVEN IF YOU CHANGE ACCOUNTS, YOU WILL STILL HAVE TO PAY THE 10/15, BECAUSE OF THE LIMITED TIME PROMOTION.

GHG

Gold Member
This is the biggest revelation for me:

Again, GAMEPASS 1$ PROMOTION IS LIMITED. ONCE YOUR TRIAL ENDS, YOU WILL PAY 10$ TO 15$. PEOPLE WONT BE ON THE 1$ ALOT. EVEN IF YOU CHANGE ACCOUNTS, YOU WILL STILL HAVE TO PAY THE 10/15, BECAUSE OF THE LIMITED TIME PROMOTION.

I thought it was free. That would explain why 8 quid disappears from my account once a month, I thought there was a leak somewhere.

Rossco EZ

Biggest misconception people have about gamepass, is treating it like you are buying the actual game.

That is just plain false. You dont own the games that are on gamepass. Once the sub is expired, all those games becomes unplayable. You will need to buy those games.

Gamepass has 6 month to 1 year deal to put 3rd party games on gamepass. There are other cases, where a game can stay for 2 year.

All 1st party games are on the service forever.

So, why doesn't gamepass affect 3rd party sales?

Gamepass nature is doing an advertising for the game, and providing a demo for players. It doesn't give them the full access of the game. If you want to play the game next month, you will have to pay the fees of gamepass.

Remember, games stay on the service for 6months to 1 year. But here is a catch to that. You must be available day1 for that. If you aren't, you won't have enough time to play the game.

Gamepass had red dead redemption 2 on the service for 6 months. People who subscribed to the service this year, were unable to play that game. This will apple to the future games.

Question: How do these devs make money of gamepass?

Answer: Ms pays them certain amount of money before the game hits gamepass. And in some cases, devs gets more money from players engagement.

Question: Wouldn't the devs lose money from this type of deal?

Answer: The biggest problems devs face is player base, and not the money. When you are selling a game, you need player base. You need people who will buy your products. Without some sort of consistent ads, deals, worth of mouth, or people praising it nonstop, your game won't have enough sales.
Gamepass is a perfect medium in this situation. Devs can secure a player base for the sequel of their game. They save alot of money from gamepass advertising, word to word mouth helps boost other non-gamepass platforms sales.
They still have the power to sell their games. Gamepass isn't giving out the games for free, like epic or ps+ (you will need the sub to keep them alive, but the game is yours). Their games have expired date on gamepass. Once that expiration hits, the game won't be on the service.
In that 1 year period, people will buy the game, to add it to their collection. That is extra sales, on top of the money MS gave them.

Question; Wouldn't gamepass hurt MS overall sales?

Answer: the problem with sales is the hardware limitations. Its mainly dependent on people who bought the hardware. Devices gets broken, people play f2p games. In these cases you dont see that much sales, and will need to rely on whales, who will buy every game that is expensive, or would spend tons of money on f2p games.
Gamepass provides a form of revenue, that is not affected by hardware limitations. People pay 10$ to 15$ for the service. 1$ is just a promotion. Its not meant to be forever. After the promotion ends, people will pay 10$ to 15$. This much money means nothing.
But if you have 20m users paying that monthly, that would be $200m to $300m monthly revenue from 20m users. This number would keep going up in the future, and won't slow down.

The more users they get, the more revenue gamepass generates.

Question: how does gamepass make money, to sustain these 3rd party games?

Answer: "PlayStation 4 was the highest source of income from player spending in Fortnite at 47 per cent of all total revenue from March 2018 through July 2020."
This is from mtx on fortnite that was on Playstation.
When gamepass gets games like that, it will generate more mtx money on top of the sub fees. Any dlc those 3rd party games have, will translate to sales, of players buy them. In short, gamepass has ways to make money from 3rd party games, in order to sustain itself.

needs more ink

Cornbread78

I umm, yeah, umm....

I'll only "buy" 3rd party exclusives for my SeX that are not on GP as long as I have a sub. All other 3rd party games wil be bought on my PS5...

Yeah... let's just stick with that.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
tw_available-today_coming-soon_8172021_fAT7FIP.jpg

Already have Psychonauts preinstalled but gonna try 12 minutes en Myst for sure.
The amount of games that get released on Game Pass is pretty crazy. A lot of the time there's not fanfare or awareness, since it's usually quarantined to this or the Xbox OT. This is 'Recently Added' section for PC, which I think represents the last month of releases...
xNSaJ9A.jpg

I love the variety and the high of discovery.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

The amount of games that get released on Game Pass is pretty crazy. A lot of the time there's not fanfare or awareness, since it's usually quarantined to this or the Xbox OT. This is 'Recently Added' section for PC, which I think represents the last month of releases...
xNSaJ9A.jpg

I think it was the most insane month for GP so far, literally less than €1 per game and tons of day 1 releases.

You can feel that with the increased number of subs they are just accelerating the program compared to the 6-8 games / month we used to get at the beginning of the year.

Kagey K

Banned
xNSaJ9A.jpg

The recently added section on Xbox is ginormous because of all those Codemasters games being added on top of all the other releases.

Jemm

Game Pass is a good way for Microsoft to keep Xbox constantly in (social) media and forums etc:
First they announce, which games are "coming soon" to create some buzz.
Then they release them in phases and the "Now available on Game Pass" -messaging can begin for each game - keeping them in the headlines all month.
Gaming news outlets keep posting them for some easy content and it gives Xbox positive news all the time.

Same thing with Games with Gold, which is probably why they are released in two parts (beginning and ending of the month). It just not that relevant anymore as Game Pass news are much more interesting (and GwG games are quite poor in comparison, TBH).

Helghan

Are their cloud games that are PC only? Wanted to play humankind but I don't have a PC (Mac user). So I was wondering if it would ever come to xCloud since this would be the perfect game for it.

I'm not a huge PC gamer but I do have a gaming PC. I'm excited to try Humankind, I had a lot of fun with Crusader Kings 3 and previous Civilization games. Game Pass continues bringing quality games to their subscribers.

elliot5

Are their cloud games that are PC only? Wanted to play humankind but I don't have a PC (Mac user). So I was wondering if it would ever come to xCloud since this would be the perfect game for it.
No, all Xbox currently. It is on Stadia though and that's a totally viable option for you

Last edited:

reksveks

Bounced between 12 minutes, recompile, humankind, Lumines and yakuza 5 today.

Need to get back onto 1/2. I will do 12 minutes first I think but was waiting on wireless mouse to play m+k.

DaGwaphics

Loved 12 minutes. Only problem is it is rather short and a little addictive at the same time, so you push through that one quickly. I'm going to go through again and try to hit some of the achievements that I missed on the first play through. Love the loop concept over a short period like this. The 10 or 15 minute loop is the perfect length. Too bad there aren't more scenarios.

bender

What time is it?
Game Passing this weekend:

-Recompile: Pretty cold on this one. I've only finished the first area. Screen tearing is annoying and it even shows a vsync option in the menus. Not really liking the music either (so much for the Rez comparisons). Platforming feels okay. The delete function feels puny.
-Art of Rally: Pretty cold on this one too. I love the visuals but it just isn't clicking with me otherwise.
-Gears 5: Playing through this co-op with a buddy and we should wrap this up later tonight. It's not bad or anything and certainly better than Gears of War 4, but it feels wholly unremarkable.

cormack12

Gold Member
Good lord Art of Rally is good.

That soundtrack. And my Wireless headset. I'm in fucking heaven.

Max the music and lower the engine sounds. thank me later.

Came here to post this. Its a demanding game to get to a stage where you feel proficient never mind good but the feeling of reward is immense.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Game Passing this weekend:

-Recompile: Pretty cold on this one. I've only finished the first area. Screen tearing is annoying and it even shows a vsync option in the menus. Not really liking the music either (so much for the Rez comparisons). Platforming feels okay. The delete function feels puny.
-Art of Rally: Pretty cold on this one too. I love the visuals but it just isn't clicking with me otherwise.
-Gears 5: Playing through this co-op with a buddy and we should wrap this up later tonight. It's not bad or anything and certainly better than Gears of War 4, but it feels wholly unremarkable.
Re: Gears, I’d be happy if they either rebooted the online as a GAAS or just abandon the campaign all together ala Battlefield 2042 in future instalments. The original trilogy campaign was good, but it’s over for me now.

The Coalition could focus on Gears online and then make a new IP/universe to tell stories in. I know they probably won’t though.

Last edited:

elliot5

Re: Gears, I’d be happy if they either rebooted the online as a GAAS or just abandon the camping all together ala Battlefield 2042 in future instalments. The original trilogy campaign was good, but it’s over for me now.

The Coalition could focus on Gears online and then make a new IP/universe to tell stories in. I know they probably won’t though.
man, I'm the complete opposite lol. I couldn't care less about gears MP. I didn't have a 360 so I missed that phase, but the idea of wall banging and shotgunning doesn't sound fun at all. I'll take a third person cover shooter campaign any day. A live service gears MP sounds good though.

bender

What time is it?
Re: Gears, I’d be happy if they either rebooted the online as a GAAS or just abandon the camping all together ala Battlefield 2042 in future instalments. The original trilogy campaign was good, but it’s over for me now.

I don't play a lot online but I'm sure Gears of War 4 and Gears 5 are fine. The core mechanics are there from the originals and some of the old weapons feel great (shotgun, sniper riffle, Boltok Pistol). That meaty pop when you headshot an enemy still feels amazing. I bet horde mode is a good time too. But from a single player perspective:

-Those open world hubs just aren't interesting and drag down the pacing.
-Robot enemies are boring but at least they are far less frequent than Gears of War 4.
-Most of the swarm enemy types are pretty bad. They also like to throw multiples of the mini-bosses at you to up the difficulty.

It all ends up feeling like a slog.

catvonpee

My GPU three month trial is going to expire in a month. I just got a year of Gold for $40. So do I need to wait until my subscription lapses or can I do the conversion from Gold to GPU right now? Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom