• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass General Discussion

Glad to see Tainted Grail coming. Was interested in that one.

Psychonauts 2 is absolutely brilliant and honestly just felt invigorating to play. Such creativity in every facet of the game. Couldn't recommend it highly enough.

I played 2 runs of Crown Trick and got lucky enough to get a legendary weapon that trivialized the second run for an easy victory. Haven't gone back since as I know the game will become a challenge again 😋

I've been trying out the Xcloud streaming (is this the thread to discuss that as well?) and it is shockingly good. Some occasion frame hitches, but better than PSNow for me and the way cloud saves just work is incredible.

If they do manage to put out a streaming stick for this service that gives this kind of a quality experience, the value proposition is unlike anything else. Truly impressive stuff.

bender

What time is it?
Me and a buddy plowed through Warhammer; Chaosbane. It started off okay and it doles out loot well enough, but it really feels like it was done on a budget as there aren't enough building blocks in the procedural generation and each level feels painfully similar to the last. Lack of enemy variety also hurts it. The difficulty is all frontloaded as well, once we got to the second act it was ridiculously easy.

Chukhopops

This is the guy who said GP needs 500 million subs to be sustainable? If so then lmao.

On topic, Skatebird could have been amazing and in the end it’s absolute shit, one of the worst games this year. They clearly gave up halfway through and what’s left is just awful and broken. Shame!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Depends on the sub plan. Netflix has been profitable since the 2000s when they were mailing DVDs.

Sub plans are a long term game. Sirius Radio was unprofitable for probably 10 years, but now make money. Some pay cable TV stations do great. HBO is tremendously profitable.

As for the other Twitter guy saying t dumbs down quality, depends on how deep pockets the company is who subsidizes it. If the company can make shit loads of money elsewhere (higher user base = more digital software and mtx 30% cuts etc...), the company may have no problem having one part of the business lose or make bad money, but the rest makes it worth it. And the reason you have a "rest" is because the driver to get customers might be the bargain priced stuff to get people in.

It's like stores willing to lose money on front page doorcrasher weeks. They may be willing to lose some money on some items with expectation you buy other stuff while you're there. And log term be a loyal shopper there during normal weeks.

These tech guys should know all about it. They sell consoles for a loss or breakeven for years. But make the money on other things. Or some software company allowing free downloads of the basic firewall program. Probably 90% of their users use the free version. But all it takes is converting 10% of people buying the premium version and it might be profitable.

Cant expect every item you sell to be giant profits. Very few companies are like that.

Bombardier makes planes and subway cars. They dont make a lot on the physical product. Their big sales and profits come from multi year servicing/repair deals.

Last edited:
Me and a buddy plowed through Warhammer; Chaosbane. It started off okay and it doles out loot well enough, but it really feels like it was done on a budget as there aren't enough building blocks in the procedural generation and each level feels painfully similar to the last. Lack of enemy variety also hurts it. The difficulty is all frontloaded as well, once we got to the second act it was ridiculously easy.
I assume this game is only on Console GamePass? It's also not on XCloud.

Kev Kev

superliminal was great!

and the soundtrack was beautiful. ill play that game just to listen tot hose jazz piano ballads looping over and over. but yeah man that was a hell of a game. dont have much desire to play it again or do challenges, but ill be happy to run through it again some day down the road.

good shit, if you havent checked it out yet do yourself a favor and get high as balls tonite and try this thing out

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Game Pass library got a lot bigger this September with the addition of Final Fantasy XIII, SkateBird, and The Artful Escape, with plenty more on the way.

Learn about what's new, what's leaving, and what you should be playing on Game Pass. It can be a lot to keep track of, not to mention figuring out what to play from its massive library. That's why we created the Game Pass Show. Join Kurt to learn what's new, what's leaving, and what you should consider playing.

September sees the arrival of 13 games including Surgeon Simulator 2, Nuclear Throne, and Superliminal. Also coming this month is Lemnis Gate, Sable, and Subnautica : Below Zero. For this episode's staff pick, Chris Morris joins the chat to talk about Planet Coaster: Console Edition.

Kagey K

Banned
Sable still seems to have some performance issues. I think I'll be waiting for a couple patches before checking it out.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I know it’s Xbox Game Pass but does anyone know about the Solitaire Collection for PC? Is it the full game because when I installed it it says the premium version will expire on 29th September.

Is that just a bug or is it just a free month on XBGP for PC?

Chukhopops

One of the worst games I have played in recent years but might be good news for some.

reksveks

One of the worst games I have played in recent years but might be good news for some.
Apparently the solo campaign ain't too bad, true?

I might try that. It's also on cloud and PC gamepass so that's a nice inclusion.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

Gene Wilder No Thanks GIF

Chukhopops

I might try that. It's also on cloud and PC gamepass so that's a nice inclusion.
Even the solo campaign I found boring because the combat itself isn’t particularly fun, it’s too simple (in my opinion). Maybe it opens up more in the endgame, I wouldn’t know.

Game is really impressive looking though.

elliot5

good that it's on cloud. I'd probably finish the campaign via streaming and use less GB than downloading it to my XSX lmao

Pantz

Gold Member
Astria Ascending is getting mixed reviews 4's through 9's...

Still looking forward to it and deciding for myself.

Kagey K

Banned
Just had to move some stuff to the external to make room for AI, Scarlett and Astria.

Couldn’t get Astria to download on my Xbox had to use the app instead.

Kagey K

Banned
Really happy to have scarlet nexus, are the other games added worth playing?
I haven’t tried the other 2 yet, but Astria is made by people that used to make Final Fantasy, so you have a good idea what to expect from it.

I know nothing about AI. Some sort of detective thing.

Unsighted is pretty neat so far. The combat animations and timing just feel really good. Landing a parry and then hitting right trigger to slice right after is great. Love the art design so far.

AI Somnium is weird as hell but feels fresh to me at the moment. Plays like the Nintendo murder mystery game that just hit Switch only with 3d, in the future, with an artificial intelligence eyeball that is a cute anime girl im your dreams (and you play through the dreams as well as investigate crimes lol). Played day 1 and haven't shut it off yet lol. Anime as fuck, but interesting

Last edited:

YukiOnna

AI Somnium is weird as hell but feels fresh to me at the moment. Plays like the Nintendo murder mystery game that just hit Switch only with 3d, in the future, with an artificial intelligence eyeball that is a cute anime girl im your dreams (and you play through the dreams as well as investigate crimes lol). Played day 1 and haven't shut it off yet lol. Anime as fuck, but interesting
I recommend clearing out the left side branches as much as possible before you touch the right if you're sticking with it. It'll get trippier and trippier.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
My GP runs out in 2 days. I did the £1 conversion the first year then a renewed the following year by just letting my subscription run out then buying 12 months Gold then upgrading that for £10.99 to convert the lot to GPU for the year.
Any idea if it would work a 3rd time ?
I was going to just pay the full £10.99 but with my energy firm going under and other bills going up I'm like bollocks to it I'm a working class man, I have to save money where I can.

Failing being able to activate GP a 3rd time I could activate it on my Son's account with whom I share GP with now.

Last edited:

elliot5

My GP runs out in 2 days. I did the £1 conversion the first year then a renewed the following year by just letting my subscription run out then buying 12 months Gold then upgrading that for £10.99 to convert the lot to GPU for the year.
Any idea if it would work a 3rd time ?
I was going to just pay the full £10.99 but with my energy firm going under and other bills going up I'm like bollocks to it I'm a working class man, I have to save money where I can.

Failing being able to activate GP a 3rd time I could activate it on my Son's account with whom I share GP with now.
You can convert it as many times as you want assuming you do not have a subscription to GP active.

Null Persp

Available-Today_Coming-Soon_October_2021.jpg

Visage, very nice surprise.

The Procession to Calvary (Cloud, Console, and PC) ID@Xbox – October 7
Visage (Cloud, Console, and PC) ID@Xbox – October 7
Back 4 Blood (Cloud, Console, and PC) – October 12
Destiny 2: Beyond Light (PC) – October 12
Ring of Pain (Cloud, Console, and PC) ID@Xbox – October 14
The Riftbreaker (Cloud, PC, and Xbox Series X|S) ID@Xbox – October 14
The Good Life (Cloud, Console, and PC) ID@Xbox – October 15

Humdinger

I'm losing interest in games, and I'm wondering if Game Pass might provide a shot in the arm. I was a PS4 guy all last gen. But going into next gen, I'm not so sure. Apart from R&C and Horizon Forbidden West, I don't see anything that appeals to me on the PS5 side. God of War and Spider-Man are okay, but I don't care all that much about them. I dislike the Bloodbourne, Dark Souls stuff that's becoming more prevalent. I have lost interest in what Naughty Dog is doing. Sony depends on those big marquee titles to draw customers, and I am just not seeing much that is going to sustain me through a generation.

So I'm thinking, "What if I pick up an Xbox?" Game Pass is getting a lot of praise, and I can see how it might open up the possibilities. I am losing interest in gaming, so maybe that's a way to re-invigorate my interest?

On the other hand, I have two reservations:

1. I am not sure I actually WANT to play more games. I have plenty of other interests, and in some ways, I think gaming distracts me from more fruitful endeavors. That's part of why I've lost interest -- because I have other interests that take precedence. I'm not sure I want to be spending lots of time gaming. I realize this sounds contradictory -- to ask for help with "losing interest in gaming" yet not wanting to get back into gaming too much -- but I'm just being honest; I have mixed feelings about it.

2. I have picked up Xboxes in the past, and I've sold them within 9 months, because I'm a one-console guy. I tried out GP briefly, and it didn't grab me (that was probably 2018?). However, this was largely because PS4 was so strong last gen, and I'm not feeling that way for next gen. With the Bethesda and Obsidian acquisitions, Xbox is looking like the place for WRPGs, which is one of my favorite genres.

I've also had several experiences lately where I've spent full price to get a game, I play it for a few hours, then lose interest. The Mass Effect remaster, for instance, or a golf game. I can afford it -- money's not really an issue -- but still, that's $60 or $40 down the drain. I even notice it happening with smaller titles. $30 here, $20 there -- I buy the games, but I don't get more than an hour or two in before losing interest. Perhaps this is just my general loss of interest in gaming -- but at least with GP, I wouldn't be left with regret over the purchase.

Any advice? I know I'm asking this in a largely pro-GP thread, so I expect the answers to be mostly positive. That's fine. Just looking for some input.

Top Bottom