• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass General Discussion

Humdinger Humdinger -- I want you to know that you are not alone in this.

Though I have played video games since the NES, I come and go based on other interests. A lot of what I played in the 90s was based on comic books or cartoons I was into. When it came to the late 90s, I was really into pro-wrestling and sports, so I mostly played those games. 360 and Halo turned me into a multiplayer dudebro. In 2012 I purchased an Alienware laptop and was blown away, but I pretty much spent 99% of my time playing Black Ops II with a clan; that was some of the best times of my life as a video game player.

Now I have a child in second grade, other hobbies like manga and related weeb stuff, a full-time job, debt, etc.; I played a good bit of last gen but also got wrapped up in the retro revival. I then started collecting games. That was a terrible idea as I didn't play as much as I purchased and collected. I've sold consoles left and right when I became bored or was more focused on another hobby. That's just the way it is for me. I'm coming back with an Xbox and Game Pass to simply have fun. I don't really want to bog myself down with new releases that are must play games; I just want to have fun.

I think you can give it at shot.

ZywyPL

Banned
I'm losing interest in games, and I'm wondering if Game Pass might provide a shot in the arm. [...]

That's exactly what happened to me thanks to GP, now I play almost on a daily basis, sometimes just half on hour, sometimes three, while I've been in the exact same situation as you just a year ago where I only played once in a couple of weeks or months even, because I found other interests aside video games while gaming seemed to become an expensive lottery more than a hobby really, often disappointing. But GP where you don't have to pay for every single title really changes everything, just trying out new stuff doesn't cost a thing, the same way as scrolling through TV channels, as well as you don't feel obligated to squeeze every single second of the games and fully complete them just because you paid full price, the same way you won't leave a cinema halfway through the move when you don't like it at all, because you already paid for the ticked. So I'd say give it a shot, like 3-4 months, if you'll still feel you're getting out of touch with gaming just cancel the subscription and sell the console, you won;t lose much, if anything.

Humdinger

Thanks, guys. You make some good points.

... while gaming seemed to become an expensive lottery more than a hobby really, often disappointing. But GP where you don't have to pay for every single title really changes everything, just trying out new stuff doesn't cost a thing, the same way as scrolling through TV channels, as well as you don't feel obligated to squeeze every single second of the games and fully complete them just because you paid full price, the same way you won't leave a cinema halfway through the move when you don't like it at all, because you already paid for the ticket. So I'd say give it a shot, like 3-4 months, if you'll still feel you're getting out of touch with gaming just cancel the subscription and sell the console, you won;t lose much, if anything.

That's a good way to frame it.

Due to the fact that the wife and I don't get paid until the 19th, I don't foresee myself purchasing a game after I set up my XSS today... and I want to utilize Game Pass as much as possible. If I want to see the ability the S brings to the table, what should be the first game I test out and play on my 4K TV? I would like it to be a single player game that's graphically 9th gen as much as possible. I was thinking The Falconer, but I'm open to it all; a FPS would be nice.

bender

What time is it?
I'm losing interest in games, and I'm wondering if Game Pass might provide a shot in the arm.

Personally, it would do the opposite for me. I signed up for Gamefly back in the PS2 era with the idea of saving money. My purchasing habits really never changed and I ended up renting games that I had passing interest in or less. I played less in less of my purchased games so that I could get through my current rental and onto the next rental, sacrificing quality games for below average to average tittles.

In a way, Game Pass is the same for me. I tend to still purchase the games I love (Flight Sim and the up-coming Forza Horizon) and Game Pass let's me try everything else. I love the service, but I'm much less stubborn now and can easily walk away from games. I do think the average quality of games has gone up since the PS2 era (though the highs aren't as high and farther apart).

Still, if my love of gaming was waning, my solution would be to play far less great games instead of a glut of ok-to-good games.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Due to the fact that the wife and I don't get paid until the 19th, I don't foresee myself purchasing a game after I set up my XSS today... and I want to utilize Game Pass as much as possible. If I want to see the ability the S brings to the table, what should be the first game I test out and play on my 4K TV? I would like it to be a single player game that's graphically 9th gen as much as possible. I was thinking The Falconer, but I'm open to it all; a FPS would be nice.
Ori Will of the Wisps is impressive on XSS. Gears 5 Hivebusters is another great looking title.

Very excited about Ring of Pain. I have at least passing interest in all of these, so I'd say this is an incredible month. GPU stay winning.

After getting the S, GameStop is going to have the X in limited numbers on Thursday at 10:00AM CT.

Eh, I'll just wait for another time and enjoy the S as much as I can.

I have my Series S downloading games.

Luckily I updated my modem today to go with my faster internet speed. I'm going to test Forza 4, Halo MCC, and Control. The Falconer looked good for the little time I had with it.

Sorry about the double post.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I have my Series S downloading games.

Luckily I updated my modem today to go with my faster internet speed. I'm going to test Forza 4, Halo MCC, and Control. The Falconer looked good for the little time I had with it.

Sorry about the double post.

Game Pass is my Comcast data cap buster.

I've been playing Sunset Overdrive lately. I'm not really big on the mechanics but holy fuck is the writing atrocious. It might be the worst attempt at comedy in recent memory.

Game Pass is my Comcast data cap buster.

I've been playing Sunset Overdrive lately. I'm not really big on the mechanics but holy fuck is the writing atrocious. It might be the worst attempt at comedy in recent memory.

I really enjoyed Sunset Overdrive. I've played it a few times; however, you are right: the "humor" sucks.

bender

What time is it?
I really enjoyed Sunset Overdrive. I've played it a few times; however, you are right: the "humor" sucks.

I just can't get into a flow with the combat. I think it's partially the control layout and the game just asking too much of me from a movement standpoint. It also feels like I'm constantly running out of ammo.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Looking forward to playing Back 4 Blood tonight with my sons. We didn't play the beta, so I don't have an opinion about it either way. We really enjoy stuff like L4D and WWZ.

*edit*- Played through the first segment. It's a good looking game and I'm glad it has DLSS. Gameplay and level design is just decent, and it doesn't really grab me like L4D or WWZ yet. Still having fun and glad it's on GP.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Back 4 Blood appears super popular on Game Pass. I am a third of the way through the campaign, and I have paired with exactly one PC player, one PlayStation player, and the rest have all been Xbox.

Hydroxy

Back 4 Blood appears super popular on Game Pass. I am a third of the way through the campaign, and I have paired with exactly one PC player, one PlayStation player, and the rest have all been Xbox.
B4B is definitely very popular but Zombie Army 4 is very underrated. Its quite good so far, am playing solo because basically no one is playing it online.

Seraphym

B4B is definitely very popular but Zombie Army 4 is very underrated. Its quite good so far, am playing solo because basically no one is playing it online.
Zombie Army I think is a tenser and tighter game IMO, B4B suffers from enemies spawning out of thin air.
Both are great fun in co-op though

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Fellow Neogaf GP members!

My podcast only gets calls every few episodes. Want to get this to be the norm every episode. Call this number

574 651 9256

Leave a message about anything game pass or gaming related. PG13! We will answer it on the show.

DO iT!

bender

What time is it?
I thought Zombie Army was pretty dreadful after the first few missions. Me and a buddy gave up on it pretty quickly. Speaking of hating games, my latest Game Pass adventures:

-Skate Bird makes me want to take back my comment that there are no truly bad games released anymore. It feels more like a student project than something someone should be asking money for.
-I Am Fish is a neat concept but it needed more time in the oven as the controls just feel widely inconsistent. It may rely on its' physics implementation a hair to much at the sacrifice of fun. Rolling in a jar was just frustrating for me.

I thought Zombie Army was pretty dreadful after the first few missions. Me and a buddy gave up on it pretty quickly. Speaking of hating games, my latest Game Pass adventures:

-Skate Bird makes me want to take back my comment that there are no truly bad games released anymore. It feels more like a student project than something someone should be asking money for.
-I Am Fish is a neat concept but it needed more time in the oven as the controls just feel widely inconsistent. It may rely on its' physics implementation a hair to much at the sacrifice of fun. Rolling in a jar was just frustrating for me.
Yeah, Skatebird is one of the worst games I've ever played.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I'm amazed that Back 4 Blood is on Game Pass. It's the type of game that I'd like to try but would never buy for 59,99€.

I think I will re-subscribe after 2 months of being out. Any good recommendations from games that were added in the last 2 months (Series X / PC)?

Thanks!

I'm amazed that Back 4 Blood is on Game Pass. It's the type of game that I'd like to try but would never buy for 59,99€.

I think I will re-subscribe after 2 months of being out. Any good recommendations from games that were added in the last 2 months (Series X / PC)?

Thanks!
Yeah, you missed some of the most prolific months of Gamepass ever. They added a lot. I can't even remember all they added in that time.

The Procession to Calvary is hilarious lol. Don't skip it. It has the budget of a flash game but I enjoyed it so far.

Best opening of a game in 2021.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I've been having a blast at streaming GP to my laptop and I must say I'm impressed how much improved it is.
Played a few indie games then I played a few more demanding games and it was still good. MCC felt very good, I even tried MP but U think that was a touch too far. My internet speed isn't the best between 18mb/s and 30mb/s but single player games are very playable, Dirt 5 used to be unplayable but its very playable now.
I'm going to use this to check out new games and games I want a quick fix on to save me downloading.
I've tested it on my phone through the same wifi and that seems a bit hit and miss.

Roberts

If you are into fun platformers with fighting and puzzle elements, don’t sleep on Unruly Heroes which is leaving GP soon. Fps boost without resolution loss and Dolby vision make sure it plays and looks great.

bender

What time is it?
Granted I'm early on, but The Artful Escape reminds me a lot of Night in the Woods.

c5f30d03a054bff3bbff12ff5299bf38.gif

Matt_Fox

oHo4PmZ.jpg

H0FTOPe.jpg

Free to Game Pass subscribers, I played through 'Procession To Calvary' last night and it's well worth a look.

It's a comedic point and click adventure with some genuine laugh out loud moments. The fun art style is reminiscent of those little Monty Python skits and uses renaissance art to amusing effect.

You can complete it in 2 to 3 hours, although I will admit the last sequence of puzzles had me looking at a walkthrough (it got a bit obtuse and I'd had a glass or two of red wine by then!).

If you've got Game Pass and want an amusing palette cleanser between multi-hour marathons then this little game is well worth a couple of hours of your time.

bender

What time is it?
Fuck sake I was about to get that, is it gay as hell then? It looks visually sweet and the dialogue seemed decent from what I saw of it.

I've only played the opening chapter and Night In The Woods is what came to mind. I'll give it another shot next time I need an achievement for the daily rewards.

Chukhopops

Fuck sake I was about to get that, is it gay as hell then? It looks visually sweet and the dialogue seemed decent from what I saw of it.
They are completely different in tone, length and play style. Artful Escape is very short and trippy with a focus on art style while NitW is more of a slow burn, character focused game.

Also Artful Escape is more enjoyable in my opinion.

manfestival

2 buddies and I play it with 1 spot open from time to time. You can always join us! We play because of game pass

reksveks

WJuybjC.jpg

New android widget to go straight into games, I feel like that they are listening to me or I am just coming up with really simple ideas.

I wonder how they are doing this and if there are deeplinks in play.

oHo4PmZ.jpg

H0FTOPe.jpg

Free to Game Pass subscribers, I played through 'Procession To Calvary' last night and it's well worth a look.

It's a comedic point and click adventure with some genuine laugh out loud moments. The fun art style is reminiscent of those little Monty Python skits and uses renaissance art to amusing effect.

You can complete it in 2 to 3 hours, although I will admit the last sequence of puzzles had me looking at a walkthrough (it got a bit obtuse and I'd had a glass or two of red wine by then!).

If you've got Game Pass and want an amusing palette cleanser between multi-hour marathons then this little game is well worth a couple of hours of your time.
This game's hilarious. One of the best intros to a game I've seen in years lol.

To set your expectations though, it's like a browser game. Like the lowest of the low budget. But it's still kind of hilarious.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Agree. Have been playing through it a bit at a time as you can finish it in a couple of hours so trying to make it last a bit longer.

Top Bottom