• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass Has Half Subscribers Of PlayStation Plus, Despite Its Offerings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
sony-ps-plus-164856999716x9-1.jpg

On paper, the Xbox Game Pass seems much more valuable from the subscriber’s standpoint. Considering that you get all Xbox first-party games on day one, which is something the PlayStation Plus doesn’t feature, it is indeed quite a good buy for not only Xbox owners, but PC players as well. And while Xbox might look very lucrative on paper, the numbers say a totally different thing altogether.

FPB-XNqXsAUDRtu

As noted by @Zuby_Tech on Twitter, the Xbox Game Pass has around 25 million subscribers (via Microsoft.com). The PlayStation Plus, on the other hand, has around 48 million subscribers(via Sony.com), with the PlayStation Now boasting another 3.2 million subscribers. If we merge the two, we are looking at somewhere around 51 million subscribers, which is more than twice what the Xbox Game Pass has. What’s even more notable is the fact that even the Nintendo Switch Online has much more subscribers than the Xbox Game Pass, with a 32 million-strong subscriber count.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Isn't that Zuby person a fanboy? I've seen them pop up on my timeline a few times.
Where are the Xbox live gold numbers in this?

They combine + and now but omit that number.
No one knows the Live Gold numbers.
PS+ hasn't merged with Now yet, so really it's 3.2M PS Now v 25M GamePass. It's a really weird article, not sure why they are comparing the two before they've even merged (well, I do know, for the clicks).
The only interesting thing is the Nintendo sub numbers.

Nydius

Where are the Xbox live gold numbers in this?

They combine + and now but omit that number.

Too many apples to oranges and missing pieces to call this a complete (or accurate) comparison.
My thoughts as well.

PS+ and Game Pass are different subscription types. One is necessary for any online play, the other is a premium service beyond Xbox Live. Until PS+ and PSNow are rolled together, the proper comparison is PS+ vs Xbox Live Gold.

Even after the merger of those two services, they still need to compare it against Game Pass + Xbox Live Gold, because not everyone with Game Pass has Ultimate (which includes Gold).

SLB1904

Banned
2 different services. Gamepass you rent games that leave the service the ps plus and games for gold you keep for as long you are subscribed. You might say but its only a couple games a month (true) but if you are a subscriber since the ps3 era, oh boy that's loads of games.

RaZoR No1

Easy:
Much higher installbase on Sony. (Not counting PC)
100+Million PS4 & 15 Million PS5
vs
60+Million Xbox Ones & 10+Millionen Xbox Series
I don't know if these numbers are correct, but there are much more Gamers on Sony consoles than on MS consoles.
Additionaly it makes only sense to compare PS+ with XBL Gold
and PS Now with Gamepass

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Easy:
Much higher installbase on Sony. (Not counting PC)
100+Million PS4 & 15 Million PS5
vs
60+Million Xbox Ones & 10+Millionen Xbox Series
I don't know if these numbers are correct, but there are much more Gamers on Sony consoles than on MS consoles.
Additionaly it makes only sense to compare PS+ with XBL Gold
and PS Now with Gamepass

Xbox One was over 50m per estimates in 2020. I doubt they shifted 10m in less than 2 years

Darsxx82

I don't know what is worse, if the inconsistency and lack of meaning of the comparison, the source of the same comparison (a well-known fanboy), or that someone saw fit and serious to open a thread with that base.....😪

One more example of how information can be misrepresented to create and expand an idea and emerge victorious in the attempt thanks to social networks...

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Seems weird to compare the base line thing you need to play online in Playstation Plus vs. the complimentary Rental service that is Gamepass. I think a more apt and interesting discussion would be behind Playstation Plus vs. Xbox Live Gold+Gamepass numbers. It's kinda leaving out a part of the equation for the sake of fitting a narrative.

BigBooper

Ps+ and Switch are much cheaper and required for online play. This is like comparing a pair of shoes to a car. Sure, they both help with transportation I guess.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
There's also twice as many ps4 and ps5s compared to xbox one and series consoles but more importantly they aren't the same services. This is a weird ass direction to take Mr Zuby tech

Lol. Being different sub-services aside

PS+ is the more mature sub-service, so obviously. Gamepass is still in the growth phase so we'll see how that continues to do.

I'm expecting single-digit growth for PS+ when Sony releases their FY report. Hopefully the restructure gets them back to double-digit growth rates but the strategy now will be to increase RPU

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Kinda funny since gamepass was a thing people have always accused Microsoft of fudging the numbers for game pass, now Sony has merged ps now and so+ it’s suddenly ok to fudge numbers and count them as the same.

Be interesting to see the numbers when the nee service launches and how many will switch to the more expensive service

Stuart360

Sony was smart to merge everything into PSPlus.
Everyone knows that this is bullshit on both sides, even the most blind and hardcore Sony fanboy, but it wont stop the fanboying over this, the thread derailing and wind ups.

Good job Sony adding yet another area of contention to console warring.

PS+ has not merged with PSNow, so this list is ridiculous. PS+ should be compared to Xbox Live. It's fairer to compare the numbers of PSNow and GamePass... I don't think it's close.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
With all due respect to Xbox live when you talk about Xbox game pass it’s confusing regardless of the stats I think you can write down ps plus is currently the best offering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom