• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass Has Half Subscribers Of PlayStation Plus, Despite Its Offerings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topher

Gold Member
What kind of premium N4G plan are you on I only get up to 300 degrees

U6C7wqt.png

lol....I don't have an account on n4g, thank God. That's the daily hottest article. Click on week.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Can we please start banning all clickbait articles about how one platform/service/system has X amount more than Y despite Z?

chonga

How many of those are still active? How many of those are paying full price and not use the Gold -> Ultimate conversion for like 10% of the price (or something)? How many of those will start paying the full price once their promo sub finishes?
All of them, they wouldn't be in the count if they weren't active.

How many loving life thanks to $1 conversion? Who knows. Same goes for promotional subscriptions, people using Microsoft Rewards to get it for free, and I don't know about elsewhere but in the last 6 months or so Game Pass has been given away with a lot of things in the UK from 3 months free with random Amazon purchases to 6 months free with mobile and internet services and so on.

The better question to be asking is what is happening with the growth. Is it speeding up? Is it slowing down? Knowing that can help you determine where it sits on the adoption curve. The answer is growth is slowing down. They better hope the pandemic skewed the curve because otherwise those investments might take longer to pay back than expected if things are slowing down already.

ckaneo

Strange thread. Playstation Now should be compared to gamepass and live gold should be comparted with ps+.

Sony has merged services, but it's the higher tier subscriptions that will compete with game pass.

Microsoft will merge eventually. Live Gold is trash

Codes 208

When the consoles numbers are 3>1 this isnt all that surprising

And yeah, as others have mentioned: gamepass is a service, playstation plus is the online subscription. Its comparing apples to oranges

Last edited:
Im not the bigest fan of game pass, even i can see its it wiping the floor with ps+ and ps now, game pass might have slim pickings but ps now is almost barebones. Im not sure game subscription service is viable business model, games are just too difficult too make, maybe ms will prove me wrong.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Some are so offended by these numbers...
Anticipation Popcorn GIF
I don't think so. I'd just like to know the actual numbers. That'd be more interesting to talk about. I'd think anyone with a level head would probably already know that Sony should be leading in this department. What's interesting is to see what affect Gamepass may have on MSFT's numbers.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
These threads are become more stupid by the second. Next were going to have a thread about a tweet that some guy in his garage played Nintendo online once and it means gamepass has failed.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
The real comparison is ps + with Xbox live gold

And ps now with gamepass, to which that's 3.2 vs 25 mil.... So yeah

It will be interesting to see how many on the basic ps+ go to essentials or premium, that will be the big telling argument there

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
These threads are become more stupid by the second. Next were going to have a thread about a tweet that some guy in his garage played Nintendo online once and it means gamepass has failed.

Are people just not putting it together its a dumb comparison or just looking for anything to claim a victory?

It makes my brain hurt

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Some are so offended by these numbers...
Anticipation Popcorn GIF

It's kind of silly. It's not like there is "zero" information in that. We don't know when PS Now and Plus will merge, but it's unlikely the people paying for PS Plus won't keep the base version at a minimum. It is almost guaranteed that a not insignificant number of those users are going to opt to upgrade. Will it still be strictly apples to apples? No, as SONY is mixing two services, one of which is a requirement for online play (and honestly what MS should just go with Live and Gamepass). Still gives some insight into SONY's sub numbers and where they could end up.

PlayStation has ridiculous brand loyalty and GamePass is only familiar to those in the know. Microsoft should literally make a Gamepass commercial to spread awareness.

Banned
Oldschool RuneScape has less subscribers than Netflix! WHAT'S UP WITH THAT? we need a thread discussing this fast!

sainraja

My thoughts as well.

PS+ and Game Pass are different subscription types. One is necessary for any online play, the other is a premium service beyond Xbox Live. Until PS+ and PSNow are rolled together, the proper comparison is PS+ vs Xbox Live Gold.

Even after the merger of those two services, they still need to compare it against Game Pass + Xbox Live Gold, because not everyone with Game Pass has Ultimate (which includes Gold).
Things don't need to be the exact same to be compared but in this case, we are talking about game subscriptions. Both companies offer subscription services on their systems — it is entirely up to us to decide whether it provides value.

Last edited:

FrankWza

How many of those are still active? How many of those are paying full price and not use the Gold -> Ultimate conversion for like 10% of the price (or something)? How many of those will start paying the full price once their promo sub finishes?
The fact that there are no answers to these questions is as ridiculous as it gets. The subject of this thread can only hope to tie it. But it is unbeatable.

SteadyEvo

No suprise. I’ve always thought Sony and Nintendo are interchangeable at 1st and 2nd with MS a close 3rd.

The numbers seem to support that. I’ve been on Gamepass since the beginning. Been on PS Now less than a week and I’m surprised how much I like it. If not for my kids who only game on Xbox I’d cancel GP and go with Now.

And Day 1 Xbox exclusives aren’t a huge selling point cause if they have the worst exclusives. That’s just personal opinion but the numbers don’t lie. I have a feeling Starfield may change that. I’m optimistic on MS. Always have been. But they’re the youngest in the gaming space. Greatness takes time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom