• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass Has Half Subscribers Of PlayStation Plus, Despite Its Offerings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shmunter

Also no need to close the thread. Marketing and brand perception are one of the most single important factors in the industry and discussion is warranted.

Sony has done it again turning it into an advantage post the game sharing angle etc.

And this will just keep going on and on until MS consolidates their sub offers. The problem they have is the on flow price hike for including online in gamepass. Where to go from here?

Kagey K

Banned
Xbox needs to brain over on how to fix this. It’s messy having completely different sub services as opposed to simply having a tiered structure.
It's really not.

You get gold, you get Gamepass or you get both.

Ppl that don't play online but want gamepass aren't forced to get gold and ppl that don't want gamepass but want online get that. Ppl that want both can have both in 1 sub.

What options are there after June for ppl that want the Now library but don't care about playing online?

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Also no need to close the thread. Marketing and brand perception are one of the most single important factors in the industry and discussion is warranted.

Sony has done it again turning it into an advantage post the game sharing angle etc.

And this will just keep going on and on until MS consolidates their sub offers. The problem they have is the on flow price hike for including online in gamepass. Where to go from here?
One Twotter fan boy post does not show brand perception.

Gamerguy84

I dont think Xbox is even releases Xbox Live numbers anymore.

That being said PS+ Extra is going to be pretty huge. Almost everyone I know dosen’t even know what a PS Now is.

Yea they need to advertise it as well. PSNOW is so under the radar your right people barely know what it is.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yea they need to advertise it as well. PSNOW is so under the radar your right people barely know what it is.

Yup, it's gonna be massive for casuals that already play FIFA/Fortnite/PUBG and pay for PS+ already for FIFA online gaming + GTA5. With GTA5 online included already for PS+, and 350+ PS4/5 games, the $40 extra is no brainer for those casuals. I might upgrade to Extra if something interests me, and keep preordering top quality games as well.

It's IMPOSSIBLE to have PS Now where I live and like 90% of the world.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
A service that gives you brand new games day and date STILL can't match a service that doesn't offer anywhere close to that! Gamepass is failing and it has Halo! That was the game we were all told would life Gamepass to great new heights yet here it is, languishing behind fucking Nintendo's completely half assed effort of a service!
The problem is that Halo has a lot of negativity around it at the moment, and the devs aren't popular with fans.

The fact that multiplayer is f2p doesn't help GP that much either. I completed the campaign on Heroic inside a month anyway, and once I'd done all the FOBs and enemy bases there was no reason to come back to the campaign.

And I got bored of FH5 real quick. Looks like Starfield will be the next first-party game to check out, unless Forza Motorsport comes out this year. But again while I expect that to be a big game, most people will likely be able to complete it in a month or two and unsubscribe if they want to.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Xbox needs to brain over on how to fix this. It’s messy having completely different sub services as opposed to simply having a tiered structure.

Lol, that's exactly what they already have, gold is starter, gamepass is middle, gamepass ultimate is deluxe.

kyliethicc

It's really not.

You get gold, you get Gamepass or you get both.

Ppl that don't play online but want gamepass aren't forced to get gold and ppl that don't want gamepass but want online get that. Ppl that want both can have both in 1 sub.
Currently, Xbox's service plans are messy. 2 services, 4 different tiers, and you can go up in price but lose features like online play.

Sony and Nintendo have simple offerings now. 1 service each. Pay more, get more, if you want.

What options are there after June for ppl that want the Now library but don't care about playing online?
To subscribe to PS Plus and enjoy acess to that same library, more features, and even more games than before.

As Sony said, less than 1 million people subbed to PS Now without also having PS Plus. Its 1% of their subscribers. Niche.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This is silly. the Nintendo and Sony services are required to play online. Gamepass has no such requirement.

And GamePass has no online gaming for consoles so you can't play MP in the offered games without the $180/year sub, so? GP costs as much as PS+ Premium without monthly games, PS collection, online MP, let alone the cheaper version at $100 (Extra). All are subscriptions, they're similar in things and different in others.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
This is silly. the Nintendo and Sony services are required to play online. Gamepass has no such requirement.
Gamepass Ultimate has no such requirement. The $10 Xbox Gamepass does not include gold benefits, so you have to pay separately for online play.

This comparison article is stupid either way. It doesn't include gold subscribers and I would imagine there are still plenty of them who pay for gold to play shooters and sports online.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
And GamePass has no online gaming for consoles so you can't play MP in the offered games without the $180/year sub, so? GP costs as much as PS+ Premium without monthly games, PS collection, online MP, let alone the cheaper version at $100 (Extra). All are subscriptions, they're similar in things and different in others.
I love you Bo but I have to ask...

Mike Colter GIF by CBS

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
In that case we need GamePass Ultimate numbers as GamePass has no online gaming, nor 2 free monthly games added forever to library (when your sub is active), and it's as expensive as PS+ Premium, with GP Ultimate being $180/year.
Your right they don’t have 2 “free games” aka games that cease to work once your subscription lapses. They have 4 because Gamepass ultimate has Games With Gold also.

Last edited:

MScarpa

A service that gives you brand new games day and date STILL can't match a service that doesn't offer anywhere close to that! Gamepass is failing and it has Halo! That was the game we were all told would life Gamepass to great new heights yet here it is, languishing behind fucking Nintendo's completely half assed effort of a service!
Currently playing Halo Infinite single player and I'm having a lot of fun. Should i just stop playing it now since Halo and Gamepass are failing? 😂 You guys are always so funny. I enjoy the laughs.

You should preface your posts with "My name is Vincent, I don't own an Xbox and don't have Gamepass" 😉

jaysius

Banned
Over 100 Million Xbox Gold users.
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella also confirmed more than 100 million monthly active users for Xbox Live and 18 million plus subscribers for Game Pass. Nadella called it a good news as the company expands its opportunity for the “world`s three billion gamers”.
in case anyone wants real apples to apples here.
Sorry that I sourced a news site, I know your favorite sources are your asses.

That would mean the real headline from non-clown biased and fact/logic skewing world is:

PS PLUS 51 MILLION Subs doesn’t have HALF the subs of Xbox Gold 100 Million subs

mom son GIF

What a bunch of fucking thirsty clowns.

This thread is pure trash.

Took 4 pages for someone to google a few facts here.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
To subscribe to PS Plus and enjoy acess to that same library, more features, and even more games than before.

As Sony said, less than 1 million people subbed to PS Now without also having PS Plus. Its 1% of their subscribers. Niche.
Again what if a person doesn't want plus and just wants to continue playing the Now library?

It's a massive price hike for them for a feature they arent looking for.

Also 1 million ppl with now that don't have plus is 1/3 (or 33%) of psnow current user base*

*Maybe not today current since so many jumped on to the 49.99 deal to convert later when it upgrades.

Sony saw a mass influx of users that day.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

That would mean the real headline from non-clown biased and fact/logic skewing world is:

PS PLUS 51 MILLION Subs doesn’t have HALF the subs of Xbox Gold 100 Million subs

mom son GIF

MAU isn't paid subs lol

PSN has 110 mil MAU.

He's saying Xbox Network has 100 mil MAU, which are free accounts.

Again what if a person doesn't want plus and just wants to continue playing the Now library?

It's a massive price hike for them for a feature they arent looking for.
Don't want access to the PS Plus library of games? Don't subscribe. And anyone with a Now sub gets converted for free.

Also 1 million ppl with now that don't have plus is 1/3 (or 33%) of psnow current user base.
Yeah and Sony doesn't care. Its around 800k people, out of the ~ 48.8 million service subs they have. 1%.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Lol, that's exactly what they already have, gold is starter, gamepass is middle, gamepass ultimate is deluxe.
Gold is not a starter, it’s standalone. You need seperate gamepass sub if wanting online and gamepass. Or pay even more for ultimate if wanting it all in one.

Messy and a pr headache as psplus being a single service will be compared to gamepass sub numbers going forward whether one agrees or not. That’s the crux of it.

jaysius

Banned
MAU isn't paid subs lol

PSN has 110 mil MAU.

Did you see the entire sentence before you replied? Jesus I can’t be there to read this aloud for you.

He’s saying Live the old name it’s Xbox Gold.

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella also confirmed more than 100 million monthly active users for Xbox Live

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Currently, Xbox's service plans are messy. 2 services, 4 different tiers, and you can go up in price but lose features like online play.

Sony and Nintendo have simple offerings now. 1 service each. Pay more, get more, if you want.

If it's around 1 million that's over 30% of PSNow subscribers.

Renaming PSNow to the much more successful PS+ does work well to hide how embarrassing PSNow's numbers are, especially when compared to Game Pass.

kyliethicc

Did you see the entire sentence before you replied? Jesus I can’t be there to read this aloud for you.

Shes saying Live the old name it’s Xbox Gold.
Yes which is the old name for Xbox Network. He never says Gold.

A MAU isn't a paid subscriber. Everyone knows that.

If it's around 1 million that's over 30% of PSNow subscribers.

Renaming PSNow to the much more successful PS+ does work well to hide how embarrassing PSNow's numbers are, especially when compared to Game Pass.
Think Jimbo said its about 25% of Now subs. Around 800k out of 3.2 mil or so.

Last edited:
I have no problem with this. Technically It's true PS plus has the most subscribers. But If you compare Netflix like game services and try to act like PS Plus Essential is one of those services then we have a problem.

But this is good for MS. More comparisons of Game Pass to Sony's renamed PSnow service draws more attention to how good Game Pass is.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Gold is not a starter, it’s standalone. You need seperate gamepass sub if wanting online and gamepass. Or pay even more for ultimate if wanting it all in one.

Messy and a pr headache as psplus being a single service will be compared to gamepass sub numbers going forward whether one agrees or not. That’s the crux of it.

Anyone with two eyes who can read can figure it out. If anything the ps plus new tiered system is more complicated, you need a chart just to check and see what you getting at each level.....

RoboFu

One of the green rats

mom son GIF

I posted that on page one.. everyone ignored it obviously.

sainraja

^^ This is getting lost on everyone.

I mean, console wars aside.....these are subscription services specifically for gaming. That's what they have in common — the value prop can be different and it's going to be the audience for each respective console that will decide if it is worth it or not.

They can be compared as they are. Hell, people compared them before; now just because some numbers are being thrown into the mix shouldn't change that and why should that matter to anyone here?
None of us had anything to do with the design of these services lol.

Getting Game Pass won't give you access to Sony's first party line-up day one so using that as point against those interested in PS titles is a bit pointless, don't you think? And if Sony also offered day and date, the same would apply to PS fans who try to use that as some sort of a win over the 'other' guys.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Yes which is the old name for Xbox Network. He never says Gold.

A MAU isn't a paid subscriber. Everyone knows that.

Think Jimbo said its about 25% of Now subs. Around 800k out of 3.2 mil or so.
Do you understand if you could find accurate PSN MAU numbers it would be a real comparison vs comparing a cheaper Sony service that gives Online Play vs a Microsoft service that gives games.
PSNow subs vs Gamepass subs would make sense, but you probably wouldn’t like those numbers at all.

Last edited:
As of june sony will have more new first party games on their subscription service also so you also have to really consider the value you’re getting with both services. It might not be day 1 but if day 1 first party games aren’t coming out every month it really doesnt matter anyway.

I assume once summer rolls around the shift will already start to happen once people start playing games like miles and returnal on it

Last edited:
The PlayStation Plus, on the other hand, has around 48 million subscribers(via Sony.com), with the PlayStation Now boasting another 3.2 million subscribers. If we merge the two, we are looking at somewhere around 51 million subscribers, which is more than twice what the Xbox Game Pass has.
So renaming PS Now to PS+ means Gamepass is losing in subs now? If they add a 4th tier of PS+ that's free and gives all the benefits that not being subbed already does that mean PS+ will have 120+mil users? I think it's very clear gamepass competes against other full catalog services like Ubi+ and now PS premium tier not Nintendo Switch Online and PS+ basic.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Throw in Office 365 as well.
I mean, you might as well call them a bonafide rental service at this point.
Tea Time Drink GIF by VH1

You’ll own nothing and like it. No really, you actually like it.

Back when there was just horse armor, everyone laughed at a future like this. What a time to be alive.

In 10 years, you will be paying a sub for your PC OS, and we will hear, “thank you sir, may I sub to another!”

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Do you understand if you could find accurate PSN MAU numbers it would be a real comparison

PSN MAU are announced by Sony every quarter.

f7L6gcs.jpg

vs comparing a cheaper Sony service that gives Online Play vs a Microsoft service that gives games.
PlayStation Plus, Nintendo Online, and Xbox Game Pass (and Live Gold) are all gaming services. The comparisons are obvious.

Hardware from each differs a bit, but are still compared, understandably. Same with services.

PSNow subs vs Gamepass subs would make sense, but you probably wouldn’t like those numbers at all.
Around 3 mil Now subs vs 25 mil GP subs. Why wouldn't I like that comparison?

Now is of course dead this June, since its now part of Plus's 48 mil subs.

Last edited:

Excess

Of course it has more. They simply converted regular PS + users into their new program.

Sage and report.

Last edited:
Also, people have to consider this is only the first iteration of this new services. We can only assume that it will continue to improve and offer additional incentives over time like gamepass has.

I think sony was smart with this. They didn’t kill their primary revenue generator but they did just enough to disrupt what gamepass was doing

Kagey K

Banned
MAU isn't paid subs lol

PSN has 110 mil MAU.

Don't want access to the PS Plus library of games? Don't subscribe. And anyone with a Now sub gets converted for free.

Yeah and Sony doesn't care. Its around 800k people, out of the ~ 48.8 million service subs they have. 1%.
So basically fuck them.

It's only almost a million people, but they can either fuck themselves or learn to like it.

Seems like a great attitude to take.

kyliethicc

You see that’s still not a comparison, does it hurt that much to think unilaterally for a moment?

You people can’t be reasoned with.

The numbers are much closer though than a deficit of 50 million.

Go ahead and move the goal post again though.
At this point, I see you have no idea what you're talking about honey. Feel better.

Animated GIF

jaysius

Banned
At this point, I see you have no idea what you're talking about honey. Feel better.

Animated GIF
That’s how out of touch you are.

What I was saying is for a 1:1 COMPARISON you need to find the XBOX MAU also. You merely posted the Sony stats when in your original reply.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Of course it has more. They simply converted regular PS + users into their new program.

Sage and report.
The funny thing is for the majority they will continue to pay the same, and no services will have changed.

I don't think we are going to see people demanding breakdowns of tiered subs and asking if it's sustainable once it just shows up as one number in thier quarterly reports though.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I mean, you might as well call them a bonafide rental service at this point.
Tea Time Drink GIF by VH1

You’ll own nothing and like it. No really, you actually like it.

Back when there was just horse armor, everyone laughed at a future like this. What a time to be alive.

In 10 years, you will be paying a sub for your PC OS, and we will hear, “thank you sir, may I sub to another!”
I prefer the sub model. It works better for me. And let's be honest. Even if you still buy physical, you don't own anything but a piece of plastic.

Last edited:

sainraja

You see that’s still not a comparison, does it hurt that much to think unilaterally for a moment?

You people can’t be reasoned with.

The numbers are much closer though than a deficit of 50 million.

Go ahead and move the goal post again though.
"If you could only follow my very specific rules then you will see what I mean!"

Lol.

People will compare subscriptions services available on both systems when making a decision. Not saying "numbers" is going to be important to them but the value prop is going to be a factor. if they like what PS+ tiers offer they will go with that and if they like what Gamepass etc offer, they will go there. They aren't going to say it's not a fair comparison so I won't be deciding which one to go with!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom