• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass Has Half Subscribers Of PlayStation Plus, Despite Its Offerings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pallas

Not exactly a fair comparison, different services. I don’t think anyone should be upset or gloating though, this is a very healthy gaming market and at the end of the day we all pretty much win.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I prefer the sub model. It works better for me. And let's be honest. Even if you still buy physical, you don't own anything but a piece of plastic.
I can respect that, but at the same time, those who prefer the traditional route, are no different. We all want to enjoy games in the end, right?

Kagey K

Banned
I prefer the sub model. It works better for me. And let's be honest. Even if you still buy physical, you don't own anything but a piece of plastic.
I've bought too many games I regret, and rented a lot of games from Blockbuster as a child to a young adult.

I think most of us here are used to a hybrid of renting and buying games.

Most who have been through that see subscriptions as an upgraded version of our old habits.

I'm really not sure where the anti subscription ppl came from.

Kagey K

Banned
I can respect that, but at the same time, those who prefer the traditional route, are no different. We all want to enjoy games in the end, right?
So you never rented games from Blockbuster or any other video store while growing up?

You just bought everything you ever wanted to play?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So you never rented games from Blockbuster or any other video store while growing up?

You just bought everything you ever wanted to play?
I did before I had a disposable income. Which is why I’m not “anti sub”, see below….
I've bought too many games I regret, and rented a lot of games from Blockbuster as a child to a young adult.

I think most of us here are used to a hybrid of renting and buying games.

Most who have been through that see subscriptions as an upgraded version of our old habits.

I'm really not sure where the anti subscription ppl came from.
I’m not anti-sub at all, I am anti “hurr durr $70” to support the shortcoming feelings of said $70 game NOT on your sub service tho.

Because, let’s be honest, that’s the only reason it’s brought up.

Let’s just embrace we have multiple ways to enjoy this medium we share a common passion for. And how we choose to spend our time and money isn’t the issue, at all.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Sounds like Console waring bait
That's what it was and it worked.

Anyone that has spent any time on Twatter can see how toxic the console wars are there.

The fact that one garbage poster got recognition here is only going to fan that flame higher.

Anyone that says GAF is console wars, only needs to look there for a second to see how gross fanboys really are.

mad people GIF
Bruce Lee Racism GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

The sub model also works great for folks who generally don't like keeping a lot of games around and sell/trade them back after being done (eg me).

Kagey K

Banned
By far the best game subscription service.
Probably should wait, if it's the current subscription plus 3 new promised games, that's going to be easily disputable.

Especially since every proud Sony owner already bought those games to support the developers. Right?

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Probably should wait, if it's the current subscription plus 3 new promised games, that's going to be easily disputable.

Especially since every proud Sony owner already bought those games to support the developers. Right?
I pay $30 for 12 months.
Excellent online play and some decent free games.
Nothing comes close.

Yes I also buy the games I like👍

Shmunter

Again what if a person doesn't want plus and just wants to continue playing the Now library?

It's a massive price hike for them for a feature they arent looking for.

Also 1 million ppl with now that don't have plus is 1/3 (or 33%) of psnow current user base*

*Maybe not today current since so many jumped on to the 49.99 deal to convert later when it upgrades.

Sony saw a mass influx of users that day.
Now subscription is almost dead. This restructure will no doubt make the streaming option more popular than ever. Sorry to the handful of users that has now without plus, but that’s not a good business model.

adamsapple

Ok.

I notice people can’t simply just agree with both. They have to justify, justify, justify.

Nah, just posting how the program works wonders for different kinds of people, many of them who don't have the concerns about the 'rental' labeling that some users here try to peddle.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Now subscription is almost dead. This restructure will no doubt make the streaming option more popular than ever. Sorry to the handful of users that has now without plus, but that’s not a good business model.
Does it do any harm by keeping it as a model?

Obviously nobody heard of it previously, so why not keep a tier that is only interested in it?

Shmunter

Does it do any harm by keeping it as a model?

Obviously nobody heard of it previously, so why not keep a tier that is only interested in it?
It’s not a tier if it removes features from a lower tier. Each one is a built upon the previous. No 3rd floor without 2 below it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's about the answer I expect.
I mean, corpo gonna do what their bottom line is gonna do. I’ll be sad for oh, 30 seconds, and move on to the next allotted time filled distraction. Play mainly single player anyhow, while we all can still.

Kagey K

Banned
It’s not a tier if it removes features from a lower tier. Each one is a built upon the previous. No 3rd floor without 2 below it.
So why is the bottom tier the one people might not want.

Throw PSNow as the bottom, online in the middle and streaming and retro on top.

Seems easy enough.

Kagey K

Banned
I mean, corpo gonna do what their bottom line is gonna do. I’ll be sad for oh, 30 seconds, and move on to the next allotted time filled distraction. Play mainly single player anyhow, while we all can still.
Sounds like subscription gaming is right up you alley then.

😅

Kagey K

Banned
PSnow has NICHE numbers so no loss there.

+ is the big gaming money maker service.
This is such a terrible argument.

If it's thier big money maker it makes sense to put it in the middle.

You don't offer your money maker as the bottom tier, you offer it as the midrange and try to upsell it.

Making it the bare minimum for some is going to be an automatic turnoff.

S0ULZB0URNE

Can you name one that still doesn't have online support?

We all know games will come and go, so will the "New PS+"
Nope I still have my + games.

You use GP and don't even know 🤭

Let me help just a little.
EA has some GP games that no longer have online support (if GP didn't remove them)

Yes there is more.
Since you just learnt something it's your turn to look up the other games on GP that no longer have online support.

adamsapple

EA has some GP games that no longer have online support (if GP didn't remove them)

Yes there is more.
Since you just learnt something it's your turn to look up the other games on GP that no longer have online support.

LOL

You can't say "some games don't have online support"

then say "ok you look up some games that don't have online support now"

Name names please, you're on a streak of terrible half baked trolling lately.

PS. Not that it needs to be said again, but PS+ is not comparable to game pass. You're looking for Games w/ Gold, and people retain their Games w/ Gold games just like PS+ games.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned

Yes there is more.
EA isn't gamepass. Its a perk rolled into ultimate.

You told me games on Gamepass don't have online support anymore, so it's on you to prove it.

I'm not going looking.

Yes you still have your PS+ games, but the games that go into tier 2 will expire.

Just like I have my Games with Gold, but gamepass games still disappear.

S0ULZB0URNE

This is such a terrible argument.

If it's thier big money maker it makes sense to put it in the middle.

You don't offer your money maker as the bottom tier, you offer it as the midrange and try to upsell it.

Making it the bare minimum for some is going to be an automatic turnoff.
It's not a argument it's a business decision.

+ is likely the biggest money making subscription in console gaming actually.

You don't force these types of things so keeping it at the bottom makes the most sense.

MS tried doing that last year and changed it back with the quickness.

Kagey K

Banned
LOL

You can't say "some games don't have online support"

then say "ok you look up some games that don't have online support now"

Name names please, you're on a streak of terrible half baked trolling lately.

PS. Not that it needs to be said again, but PS+ is not comparable to game pass. You're looking for Games w/ Gold, and people retain their Games w/ Gold games just like PS+ games.
This is the dumbest shit I've seen in a while.

I promise you they are there, believe me and if you don't believe me go look for them, because I can't find them.

Fucking seriously 🤪

But the growth for Game Pass in just the last 2 years has been 5 to 1 in favor of Game Pass compared to PS+. Game Pass started 2020 with 10 million subscribers, PS+ started 2020 with 45 million.

Since then Game Pass has gained 15 million more subscribers. PS+ has only gained 3 million more. Also, trying to compare the total subscribers of PS+, which is literally needed for online play and cloud saves on Playstation, to Game Pass is incredibly desperate and makes Game Pass only look more successful by comparison.

Kagey K

Banned
It's not a argument it's a business decision.

+ is likely the biggest money making subscription in console gaming actually.

You don't force these types of things so keeping it at the bottom makes the most sense.

MS tried doing that last year and changed it back with the quickness.
Because of the community,

Sony won't change because the community is accepting it.

There is literally no pushback and the community supporting it, so why would they change?

The few people that don't like it get bullied and suppressed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom