• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass is Giving Marvel's Avengers A Serious Boost

Vasto

Marvel’s Avengers saw an icy reception at release, but its arrival on Xbox Game Pass is turning the live-service superhero game into a massive hit.

Marvels_Avengers_title_hero_art.jpg

Crystal Dynamic’s Marvel’s Avengers has hardly set the world on fire. Instead, it received a generally lukewarm reception at release and struggled to retain players since. Even the addition of new content, like the free War for Wakanda DLC in August, wasn’t enough to entirely turn things around.

However, Marvel’s Avengers is finally starting to draw a crowd. In fact, it’s gone from a mediocre reception to an overnight sensation. It seems the game’s recent arrival on Xbox Game Pass has turned a middlingly popular game into a massive hit.

It’s hard to overstate how much of a turnaround this has been, despite some Marvel’s Avengers players encountering problems on Game Pass. As Twitter user Benji-Sales pointed out, Marvel’s Avengers has already found a place in Game Pass’ Most Popular list. It comes in right behind Destiny 2 and is within sight of Mojang’s titanically popular Minecraft. It’s also become one of the most popular Xbox games in the United States, putting it in the same ballpark as Fortnite, Call of Duty: Warzone, and Red Dead Redemption 2. Moreover, Marvel’s Avengers is seeing a similar level of success in the United Kingdom. That’s an impressive feat considering gamers’ general lack of enthusiasm for Marvel’s Avengers up until recently.

I'm going to download it to try out the campaign. I think last I checked it's 84 GB, so I'm waiting to beat a few games I already have downloaded. Already playing like 20 games right now anyway, so it can wait a little bit.

Certinty

The bigger question is whether this will last or not, if it does and the game keeps doing decent numbers it's surely time to give it away on PS+/Now or just make it F2P...

So because its in the bargain bin makes it a good game now?
That’s what you got out of the article? Or the fact that they’re saying gamepass makes it more accessible to mine games that usually don’t do well because of the mass exposure. Clearly the game is benefiting from more eyes and more access to it. The single player is actually well done the online side of things is not the developers fault square wanted them to make that.

LordCBH

All these new people will quit playing after 10-13 hours when they realize the best hits are at the beginning and then it’s all downhill from there.

I've taken the time to clear out SSD space and have downloaded it. I guess I'm obligated to give it a try.
Jump Scaring my way through Visage currently.
Does Avengers have a Halloween update where the costumes are changed?

Elios83

Being downloaded to give it a try since it's basically free is way different from turning it into a massive hit.
Some people really can't refrain from opening threads that are just attempts to turn nothing into ads.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I imagine Crystal Dynamics and Square are enjoying both the influx of cash and new players thanks to the Gamepass boost.

Plantoid

Game is marvelous on the tech side, but combat is atrocious, I downloaded it on game pass and deleted as soon as I was playing with Thor (30min in)

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Jesus the gaming press "really" want this to succeed.

I bet you any money that if the main single player character happened to be Peter Parker it would not be pushed this hard after being some of the worst GAAS has to offer.

In alot of ways this title works like a free 2 play title, it gets you engaged and then starts throwing up F2P BS to force you into the online GAAS and it's premium cash shop. It's the classic £50 box price is not enough they need MOOOOORRRREEEEEE, that makes literally every GAAS title unfun and unrewarding.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The bigger question is whether this will last or not, if it does and the game keeps doing decent numbers it's surely time to give it away on PS+/Now or just make it F2P...

Nope. I haven't been able to find any articles on the interweb, but someone is responsible for a co-op looter shooter shipping without cross-play in 2020 and I'm thinking it wasn't SE or CD given OUTRIDERS coming right out of the gate with it. And without co-op people are going to get bored of the grind quick. A superhero game. . .without a team.

Wouldn't they have been far more lenient on it pre-present-post-launch then? Because they weren't. And haven't been.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
More people playing is a good thing but it just hit GP. The staying power has always been the issue with this game. I am already kinda over it and I havent finished the OG campaign.

GHG

Gold Member
So we're getting to the point where we're celebrating mediocre/bad games doing well?

This isn't even just a bad game from a mechanical standpoint, it's loot/microtransaction systems are unashamedly predatory.

Maybe the only good thing that will come out of this is the fact that these publishers might realise if they want to make games like this then they should just be F2P.

This game is shite ngl. I cant stomach myself to play it again. Being hyperbolic for theatres sake but it’s really triple A jank

Andodalf

Banned
Nope. I haven't been able to find any articles on the interweb, but someone is responsible for a co-op looter shooter shipping without cross-play in 2020 and I'm thinking it wasn't SE or CD given OUTRIDERS coming right out of the gate with it. And without co-op people are going to get bored of the grind quick. A superhero game. . .without a team.

Wouldn't they have been far more lenient on it pre-present-post-launch then? Because they weren't. And haven't been.
I mean FO 76 absolutely got a permanent boost from Gamepass that has helped it survive

MiguelItUp

Of course it is! Just like how F2P games get a ton of clicks. If they're there, and you're even moderately curious you can just check them out. It was a smart call on them to do this, just don't know if it's going to help the game in the long run. Other than giving it a healthy spike for a bit.

anthony2690

Banned
How is the single player campaign?
Pretty decent.
I really enjoyed it on the series x.
I think most the complaints are due to the less than stellar end game and people's sky high expectations for the game.
Maybe if it wasn't advertised as GAAS title it would've been better received.

Riky

$MSFT
I think people are missing the point, it's not relevant if the game is good or bad. It's the impact Gamepass has on your game, this bodes well for the future of the service.

mckmas8808

Banned
"Massive hit", lmao.

See you in two weeks when player count has dropped catastrophically. Again.

Exactly!

I bet you any money that if the main single player character happened to be Peter Parker it would not be pushed this hard after being some of the worst GAAS has to offer.

In alot of ways this title works like a free 2 play title, it gets you engaged and then starts throwing up F2P BS to force you into the online GAAS and it's premium cash shop. It's the classic £50 box price is not enough they need MOOOOORRRREEEEEE, that makes literally every GAAS title unfun and unrewarding.

I think you might be missing what's REALLY going on here. This is less about the Avengers game and more about how great GamePass™ really is! The gaming press knows that the Avengers game is average at best and always gets a week or 2 boost when new content drops.

But in this case they want you to leave with the impression that GamePass™ is the REAL winner.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I think you might be missing what's REALLY going on here. This is less about the Avengers game and more about how great GamePass™ really is! The gaming press knows that the Avengers game is average at best and always gets a week or 2 boost when new content drops.

But in this case they want you to leave with the impression that GamePass™ is the REAL winner.

More like GamePassed over am I right...

Considering my active subscription to gamepass I'm playing very few titles outside of Microsoft first party offerings

Last edited:

Data Ghost

Keep getting an INSTALLATION STOPPED message every time I try and download it on my Series X, and others on Twitter are complaining of the same issue. Weirdly though, Xbox are not responding or acknowledging it.

CitizenZ

Banned
That’s what you got out of the article? Or the fact that they’re saying gamepass makes it more accessible to mine games that usually don’t do well because of the mass exposure. Clearly the game is benefiting from more eyes and more access to it. The single player is actually well done the online side of things is not the developers fault square wanted them to make that.

Eyes, everyone reviewed it, every pub covered it. Its a mediocre title, but you enjoy, I mean, you paid for it.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I mean FO 76 absolutely got a permanent boost from Gamepass that has helped it survive

With FO76 though (which I love and will buy again on console if BETHESDA stops dicking around with skins and releases a performance patch) you can play that solo. Marvel's Avengers WANTS to be played with (competent, non-AI - not mutually exclusive of course) teammates. Someone Odiously Nixed Yolo'ing with friends in this game and unless that changes, I can't see folks sticking with the game long term even if it is free.

cormack12

Gold Member
I downloaded it and it is fairly generic to be fair. No worse than a lot of GaaS to be honest. I don't think I'll be getting into it.

Top Bottom