• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass Reportedly Has Over 15 Million Players On PC

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
xbox-game-pass.png

According to the LinkedIn profile of Group Product Manager for Xbox Content & Audience Strategy at Microsoft, Mark Skwarski, Xbox Game Pass has over 15 million players on Windows.

xbox-game-pass.png

Skwarski’s resume states that he helped in building a team to launch new features into Xbox Game Pass and executing marketing campaigns that increased the total subscriber count from 5 million to over 25 million and increased revenue by $2 billion (54% CAGR) over a 4 year period. He also helped in building and executing the strategy to grow Xbox Game Pass on PC, focusing on the right games, app experiences, and marketing activations (including refreshed branding) to increase PC subscribers by 5 times. In addition, Skwarski partnered with creative directors at Bethesda and Xbox Game Studios to pilot new growth ideas, making it easier for the now over 15 million PC players to enjoy Xbox Game Pass.

Three

Didn't they rebrand to "PC Gamepass"? I don't think they call it xbox gamepass anymore there.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I think the Riot deal is one of the reasons for those growing numbers. If you make a new LoL / WR / Valorant account now it will take ages to unlock characters while you get it out of PC GP.

Then you get the permanent 20% XP boost on top which gives you faster rewards for leveling.

mxbison

It works pretty good now on PC.

Still some annoying things like asking for permissions the first time you start a game which has even caused crashes for me, but mostly it's good now with the Xbox App.

Nothing compared to the absolute abomination of when it used the Windows Store. Even $1/month was way too much for that.

I think the Riot deal is one of the reasons for those growing numbers. If you make a new LoL / WR / Valorant account now it will take ages to unlock characters while you get it out of PC GP.

Then you get the permanent 20% XP boost on top which gives you faster rewards for leveling.
As much as I personally dislike Riot Games as a company, the moment I saw that announcement I knew it would do crazy numbers. A buddy of mine literally just plays LoL, and nothing else. When I told him about the deal he immediately signed up for GPU.

He doesn't play console games, or anything else on his potato of a PC, but $15 a month is less than what he was spending on LoL anyway.

Kilau

Could read it as 15 million players in the Windows Store/Xbox ecosystem, not that all are using game pass but could be enjoying it.

calistan

Didn't they rebrand to "PC Gamepass"? I don't think they call it xbox gamepass anymore there.
Just renewed mine 10 minutes ago using the Gold > Ultimate conversion deal, and the Xbox branding still seems prominent in the PC game pass app. They seem to call the two different tiers PC Game Pass or Game Pass Ultimate, but both have a big old silent Xbox logo.

YooGvxC.png

MikeM

Gamepass works great on PC. 25 million subs overall is solid.

Side note- why is there no option for achievement pops like Xbox? The Windows version is so generic.

Mr Hyde

Could be a real winner if the price is right.

I think so too. If Asus can get it out in stores like Best Buy it could generate mass market appeal. Microsoft already seems to have joined forces with Asus in marketing the device as essential with Game Pass. The XG mobile "dock" eGPU that Asus says you can hook up for ROG Ally so it becomes a desktop PC is also bundled with Redfall and 3 months Game Pass. It's called the Bite back edition. So MS seems totally on board with these devices.

flying_sq

I used it once in awhile with the $1 trial, and just got a 3 month free trail with my new gaming laptop. I barely use it, not really anything on there that interests me, or I played it already. Right now, I'm driving around in Horizon 5 a bit, but the game kind of sucks anyway.

Three

Just renewed mine 10 minutes ago using the Gold > Ultimate conversion deal, and the Xbox branding still seems prominent in the PC game pass app. They seem to call the two different tiers PC Game Pass or Game Pass Ultimate, but both have a big old silent Xbox logo.

YooGvxC.png
They kept the x logo with the rebrand, I guess because they don't have a specific gamepass logo that didn’t include the name.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

Gamepass works great on PC. 25 million subs overall is solid.

Side note- why is there no option for achievement pops like Xbox? The Windows version is so generic.
I have seen achievement pops in PC Gamepass. I know I saw a few while playing Coffee Talk recently. I did notice that is somewhat delayed compared to the console achievements. Sometimes I get no pop ups on the console side either.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I canceled my GP subscription once my $1 3-years ran out, but it's good. PC Game Pass has gotten a lot better over the years, both the game lineup and app are massively better than where they were when I first signed up. I said it in another thread, I don't think they need Xbox to keep this thing going.

I have seen achievement pops in PC Gamepass. I know I saw a few whiles playing Coffee Talk recently. I did notice that is somewhat delayed compared to the console achievements. Sometimes I get no pop ups on the console side either.

it's pretty crappy compared to console, sometimes it never pops up, sometimes it is super delayed, sometimes it works as intended. No consistency.

Last edited:
If I could access GamePass directly through Steam and SteamDeck, I'd probably re-sub. It collected virtual dust for me on Series X, but portable GP would be different.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Subbed to Ultimate till 2025, and accumulating reward points to keep it going infinitely.

It's been great being able to jump in the same game on console, PC, Cloud, whatever is available at my disposal at the moment.

Drop the persecution complex.
I don't get what you mean. I'm just a dad of 2 trying my best to get at least an hour of play time every 3 days and that's with some luck 🙏🏽
You said you don't have a Playstation. That's what gets peoples back up around here. You'll learn soon enough how things work on here: Don't say anything negative about Sony/Playstation. That way you won't get laughed at or banned.

You don’t. Use the Game Pass app.
So how does it install the games?

I don't trust Microsoft because anytime I've tried installing games from them on my PC (that wasn't through Steam) my SSD gets fucked and I need to delete everything off it for it to work again.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

I don't trust Microsoft because anytime I've tried installing games from them on my PC (that wasn't through Steam) my SSD gets fucked and I need to delete everything off it for it to work again.

Just find the game in the app and click Install

xalvTii.png

I haven't had any problems.

You said you don't have a Playstation. That's what gets peoples back up around here. You'll learn soon enough how things work on here: Don't say anything negative about Sony/Playstation. That way you won't get laughed at or banned.

Ouch ... All I said was that I don't have a playstation. Which is true. I would like to have one but I know I will never get around to it. I'm currently playing gears of war remaster. With some luck I'll be done with the campaign around June and then I'm paying sunset overdrive 🤠 and after that I'm playing Back 4 blood and then I'm playing that Russian game with those robotic chicks in the trailer. Forgot what's it called but I saw it on game pass the other day

StereoVsn

Ok....but it still better than having to use the store from an UI perspective, imo. I'm not familiar with the issue of it screwing up people's computers. Is that recent?

Fair enough
The issues with MS Store, storage corruption and problems that sometimes force people to completely reinstall OS have been going on since Windows 8 came on the scene. So about 10 years now.

Stooky

ShYou said you don't have a Playstation. That's what gets peoples back up around here. You'll learn soon enough how things work on here: Don't say anything negative about Sony/Playstation. That way you won't get laughed at or banned.
There, there……Its ok…..It’s not your fault….It’s not your fault
Love Me Wtf GIF by Janet Mac

Warablo

What I want to know is if people are getting counted twice for having both. I'd guess they'd each fall into both categories.

Last edited:
Top Bottom