• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Studios' Double Fine developer (Psychonauts 2) working on new AAA videogame developed in Unreal Engine 5

.Pennywise

Banned
Double Fine, from Xbox Game Studios is working on a AAA videogame since 2020 at least. Now a new job opening just let us see that this new project is being developed in Unreal Engine 5

Description​

Double Fine is looking for a full-time Procedural Technical Artist for its San Francisco-based development studio. In this role, you will collaborate with multiple disciplines, acting as a bridge between engineering and art teams, guiding the development of our procedural pipelines, and supporting the teams using the tools.

Requirements​

Responsibilities:
  • Experience with Houdini and integration with Unreal Engine pipelines is required for this position.
  • Create, maintain, and document usable procedural world-building and asset-building tools for use in Unreal Engine via Houdini.
  • Integrate & support new tools (Python/C#/Unreal Blueprint) into the existing art pipeline.
  • Discover ways to leverage existing pipeline tools and features in UE5.
  • Research and incorporate recent advances into existing pipelines and environment art workflows.
  • Collaborate with artists to fulfill needs in tech, discover best practices, and communicate with the team.

Pluses:
  • Have a strong preference for working in a highly creative, innovative, and nimble development environment, where collaborating with and supporting design, audio, art, animation, tech, and other disciplines is standard.
  • Experience working with small to medium-sized teams with shared pipelines and toolchains.
  • Console game development experience.
  • Innovative problem solving and critical thinking skills
  • Team-focused effective communicator.
  • Knowledge/proficiency in:
    • Houdini
    • C#/C++
    • Python
    • Unreal Engine 5
    • Unreal Blueprint Scripting
    • Substance Painter
    • Substance Designer
    • Blender
    • Illustrator
    • Zbrush
    • Maya
    • Photoshop
    • Experience with Procedural lipsync systems
  • Ability to work onsite at our San Francisco studio.

Benefits​

Some of the perks of working at Double Fine include unlimited PTO, flexible work from home arrangements, extended family leave, 401(k) matching, and watching Tim’s facial hair evolve over time.
Double Fine is an inclusive company. We believe that a diverse team leads to the best games and highly encourage folks from underrepresented groups to apply.
Expected salary range: $105,000 - $120,000

feynoob

Banned
Sexy Queen B GIF

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I'd love to see what Tim Schafer and team can do with a big budget...not large enough where failure becomes financial distress, but large enough they feel less need to cut corners. Psychonauts was a GOTY quality game, I know what he does next will be hype creative. Exciting.

Brutal Legend was definitely a big budget production

kuncol02

Banned
Great news, Psychonauts 2 was excellent. Be interesting what they can do with a big budget on UE5.

With this there is a fair few games we know Xbox are working on but haven't been announced.

The Coalition
id
inXile
Double Fine
Roundhouse Studios, Arcane Lyon, Compulsion, Zenimax Online is supposedly working on another game and I don't believe that MachineGames was doing nothing before they announced Indiana Jones. There are also rumored (or even confirmed) games from external studios that are unannounced (IO, Kojima, Brass Lion).
We also technically don't know what game will 343 make next (not that anyone is probably waiting for it).

anthony2690

Banned
Double fine was not a company I had any expectations for at all.

But Psychonauts 2 was such a genuine surprise & was easily one of my fave games of 2021.

Reactions: Isa

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Double fine was not a company I had any expectations for at all.

But Psychonauts 2 was such a genuine surprise & was easily one of my fave games of 2021.
Obsidian, Ninja Theory, Double Fine, InXile are the ones I have the highest expectations for. They've always had skill, and zero funding. Ninja Theory was making Star Wars toy games at one point for Disney just to pay the bills. This will hopefully be Double Fine Unleashed. They've really never had that, even when published under EA I'm sure there were concerns regarding profitability and consumer appeal.

anthony2690

Banned
Obsidian, Ninja Theory, Double Fine, InXile are the ones I have the highest expectations for. They've always had skill, and zero funding. Ninja Theory was making Star Wars toy games at one point for Disney just to pay the bills. This will hopefully be Double Fine Unleashed. They've really never had that, even when published under EA I'm sure there were concerns regarding profitability and consumer appeal.
I know I'm in the minority but I'm not too excited for Ninja Theory, I really did not like Hellblade sadly. (Absolutely loved Enslaved though, I wish they would revisit this ip)

I am not even sure who I'm most looking forward to seeing games from, I know I'm really looking forward to Tokyo Ghostwire & Redfall in the near future though.

Maybe Coalition? I need more Gears in my life.

Or whoever gives me a new killer instinct 😁

But I'm looking forward to being pleasantly surprised in the future with whatever comes, like with Hi Fi Rush currently, done the first seven levels and love it so far :)

Gorgyles

Banned
I feel like they're always announcing plans to make games, but fresh exclusives never come out.
Last week's Hi-Fi was a great surprise, though.

If Double Fine finally makes a playable game that would be rad.
Maybe UE5 will help.

Riky

$MSFT
I feel like they're always announcing plans to make games, but fresh exclusives never come out.

Maybe UE5 will help.

They haven't announced anything it's a job advert. A fresh exclusive came out last week, like you said.

DaGwaphics

New Banjo game? 🤔

Didn't someone from there say they had no plans to work on IPs that weren't their own?

Super excited to see what they come up with next. Psychonauts 2 was excellent. I wonder if the next game will be a platformer or an adventure game, I'm hoping for another platformer myself.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

Psychonauts 2 is one of the best games for me so far this generation. I will definitely be interested in Double Fine's next game. I really hope we get to see Microsoft knock it out of the park with their studios.

kuncol02

Banned

Maybe UE5 will help.
How the fuck do you expect them to hire new devs without job adverts? Did you even read post you are commenting about?
Also what you mean by "If Double Fine finally makes a playable game that would be rad."? Psychonauts 2 was easily in top 3 games of 2021.

YCoCg

It'd be great if they went back and revived one of their concept games, Mnemonic was a first person puzzle solving game set in this neo noir universe, with a big budget I could really see it working out.

KXVXII9X

Please be a double fine game, and not a “we’ve always wanted to broaden our horizons and dream bigger, and now with Microsoft’s support, we can. so here’s our multiplayer GAAS arena combat game”
I think I would punch a wall if that happened lol

Top Bottom