• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox/GamePass Integrated into Windows 11

packy34

I was around then lol. Only MS approved Mouses and keyboards, only internally developed software unless you were proficient in DOS. They were like apple, bundling windows with Gamepass doesn't stop competition though.
Sure keeping competitor's competent software blocked from your OS is one thing. Bundling your OS with internal company apps are another
Uh... they were sued for bundling IE, not blocking Netscape....

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Windows 11 and its features, changes, and integrations with regards to PC Gaming is old news?

Gamepass/Xbox has been integrated in Windows 10 since ages now, so yes it's old news? Had to delete all of that. Not sure if it's just in Windows 10 Pro and not present on other versions, but it's there.

Last edited:

Banned
Gamepass/Xbox has been integrated in Windows 10 since ages now, so yes it's old news? Had to delete all of that. Not sure if it's just in Windows 10 Pro and not present on other versions, but it's there.
it's also in Windows 10 home.

literally everything shown in all the windows 11 reports and videos is already part of Windows 10, everything except for the new UI features.

apps and services as well as even the Installation process is identical to Win 10, pro or home

Last edited:

Metnut

If it works anything like Windows 10, it’ll constantly interrupt me at the worst tines to install an endless series of pointless updates.

PhaseJump

Banned
It's not horrible. Old Windows stuff doesn't totally go away, right? Just kind of hidden away? I'd try it.

Oh, and I'm convinced that Linux users who try to convert others are serial killers.
xH83qU.gif

M16

The windows 11 leak isnt what you get in RTM( it isnt even the RTM build, it's a build from may). Apparently everything is now an "app", even the start menu and taskbar. Xbox app, settings, new windows store, other stuff has not been revealed yet. The UI isnt even baked in to the OS anymore. It gets built into the apps(WinUI). This is the new UI framework that works with different APIs like uwp and win32.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
So Windows 11 and its features, changes, and integrations with regards to PC Gaming isn't old news then. Cool.

MonarchJT

Banned
well Microsoft is the owner of the windows platform ...theres nothing wrong about that ...and the revamped store seem good lest see how it goes

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Linux users are masochists who think they are master programmers when they finally manage to install it without fucking up a partition.

If you’re going to go down the path of OS trolling at least you could have the decency to leave the users out of it.

Renozokii

well Microsoft is the owner of the windows platform ...theres nothing wrong about that ...and the revamped store seem good lest see how it goes
There is. Windows is wide spread to an extreme degree. Teachers are forced to use it. Many millions of employees are forced to use it. Governments use it. It’s no longer just a product and pretending it is is foolish. There’s a problem with a company whose once consumer product has blatantly gone far beyond just being a product, and has become necessity for workers, students, and corporations being able to push and advertise other products and services of their choosing. Windows as a product doesn’t operate in a capitalism anymore. Need old Theodore to be born again.

MonarchJT

Banned
There is. Windows is wide spread to an extreme degree. Teachers are forced to use it. Many millions of employees are forced to use it. Governments use it. It’s no longer just a product and pretending it is is foolish. There’s a problem with a company whose once consumer product has blatantly gone far beyond just being a product, and has become necessity for workers, students, and corporations being able to push and advertise other products and services of their choosing. Windows as a product doesn’t operate in a capitalism anymore. Need old Theodore to be born again.
I'm sorry to woke you up. While I may agree with you on a philosophical level there is nothing and no one (certainly not a mentally sane judge) that can stop Microsoft from doing what it wants with its operating system. Certainly no court can. tell him to bring new features of the new operating system over the old versions. The luck is that if you want there are other OS

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I'm sorry to woke you up. While I may agree with you on a philosophical level there is nothing and no one (certainly not a mentally sane judge) that can stop Microsoft from doing what it wants with its operating system. Certainly no court can. tell him to bring new features of the new operating system over the old versions. The luck is that if you want there are other OS

Yes, courts can force MS to change their operating system for a number of reasons, primarily anti-trust regulations. Thankfully, there isn't any cause to do so, but don't pretend they can't. In fact, some governments have forced Microsoft to make changes to its underlying systems before it could even be sold in that country.

MonarchJT

Banned
Yes, courts can force MS to change their operating system for a number of reasons, primarily anti-trust regulations. Thankfully, there isn't any cause to do so, but don't pretend they can't. In fact, some governments have forced Microsoft to make changes to its underlying systems before it could even be sold in that country.
no this have nothing (like zero) to do with that happened with explorer...and again (no court that does not want to pass for crazy and senseless) no one can tell Microsoft to take new feature back to old operatlting system especially when the new one is a free upgrade.....stop being ridiculous

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
For those arguing windows vs Apple!
Apple did not make an OS with the purpose to be used in everything while destroying and undermining the competition, that’s why Linux never had the chance to go mainstream. Intel back in 2000s was building an OS but MS stopped them. Linux was being used on netbooks and MS stopped Asus. Sony back in the 90s we’re going to use macOS and MS stopped them…

so MS got what they deserved, an OS to rule them all, that is build on old legacy OS, aiming at being used at everything while not being optimized at anything!

everyone using the beta knows it is stable because, let’s face it -windows 11 is a skin!

Topher

Gold Member
no this have nothing (like zero) to do with that happened with explorer...and again (no court that does not want to pass for crazy and senseless) no one can tell Microsoft to take new feature back to old operatlting system especially when the new one is a free upgrade.....stop being ridiculous

What part of "Thankfully, there isn't any cause to do so" did you not understand? I said nothing about explorer at all, now did I? I'm talking about what courts can do.

If you want to talk about being ridiculous, start with your own lack of reading.

na more like chrome os
05cAYKK7zk3e4e9cS9FFEn0-36.1585163827.fit_scale.size_760x427.png

lol....which looks like Mac as well.

Last edited:

martino

Aren't technologies developed by Apple exclusive to Apple products? Why should it be different for MS? I think they're done sharing when people call them evil anyway.
You missed the point they could have supported it on windows 10.
At least it's a free upgrade if I understood well.

reksveks

You missed the point they could have supported it on windows 10.
At least it's a free upgrade if I understood well.
You are assuming that it could be supported on Windows 10 without causing technical debt down the road

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Why would anyone still have the taskbar at the bottom instead of the sides? It Just takes away from your limited vertical screen space..
Force of habit ?
I used to have taskbar on the left during XP but from then on no bottom just feels wrong. My eyes are much more trained that way.

Sony

Nintendo
I can't fathom the stupidity of people that actually thought you can't move the start menu back to the left or any other side.

ksdixon

Get with the times. MS Office faces serious competition in schools from G Suite/Chrome OS, and even apple with bring your own device to work schemes.

ksdixon

That doesn't look like Mac to me though. Windows 11 does.
It's just the white ascetic of frosted glass. Or the new white windows taskbar taking over your brain's main point of reference.

It doesn't even look like the demo's glass shimmer. It looks like some ass frosted glass instead.
If anything, it looks like MS went hard into the paint for that shitty Win Vista aero glass and turned the dial up to 11 (get it?).

ksdixon

I can't fathom the stupidity of people that actually thought you can't move the start menu back to the left or any other side.
You would be surprised at what those knobs remove.

- Can't re-order your pinned taskbar app's pinned recently used files (aka jumplists). That went away in 8.
- Can't get detailed File Explorer heading columns (name, date, type, size etc) in any FE view type than Detailed. Ripped-out of Vista. What is the bloody point in that?
- introduced with win10, closed windows such as File Explorer, don't remember their opened position, and always open affected down and to the left, as though you are opening a 2nd instance of FE at the same time, and it is "cascaded" off to the side of the non-existent 1st tab.

- Mate they're removing Tablet Mode from W11, and tablet mode was like 8's whole entire thing! I still say if you had a Surface device in like 2012, then 8's touch integration was presented a lot better than on m&k.

Interfectum

Designers copy other designs all the time. There's only so many ways to organize an icon driven OS (which is what the consumer wants) and it's in Google's, Microsoft's and Apple's best interest to say pretty close to the competition to allow for smooth transition for new customers.

yurinka

Integrated?? Why???
Unless the user disables it -if it's possible- they will count as XBL MAU even if they don't use it to buy or play. And MS needs some metric to brag about on their gaming PR quotes in addition to growth in small countries (without mentioning their growth is from super tiny sales to tiny sales and still below previous gen).

I wonder what the EU will think of this...
It already exist on Win 10. I assume nobody complained enough so maybe the EU authorities didn't noticed it, gaming isn't as big as web browser.

Last edited:
Please tell me that first image isn't desktop mode. That's just some weird menu right? They wouldn't remove the start menu on left side right Microsoft? You are my friend dont do this. Where are the desktop icons? No please no.

Banned
Please tell me that first image isn't desktop mode. That's just some weird menu right? They wouldn't remove the start menu on left side right Microsoft? You are my friend dont do this. Where are the desktop icons? No please no.

you can set the start menu to be on the left

you can't move the task bar to the top or to the side tho. well, you can if you go into the registries and change them... not hard to do but annoying that it isn't an option

Last edited:

CRAIG667

That's nice and everything but 7 is my last Windows. I had considered that in the future I might have a current Windows PC for gaming only, but nah. I might use 7 to play all my old games and beyond that just use a game console. In a world where you can plug a m/kb into a console and it plays a fps game at 120fps, I mean...
But why though?

Top Bottom