• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Games Showcase Announced for June 11 before the Starfield Show

Hype check time!

• Phil won't let us down, he always delivers!

Votes: 18 13.2%
  • It won't be difficult to surpass the Sony shitshow in any case.

Votes: 65 47.8%
  • Phil my boy, this is your last chance of redemption.

Votes: 29 21.3%
  • It will suck, can't convince me otherwise.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • First-party stuff only or bust!

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm expecting Starfield to be Fallout/Skyrim in space. I can live with steady 30 fps with great scope games (optional dumbed down 60 fps mode is better). When I dabbled with Redfall for an hour, it's 30 fps felt fine.

But if Starfield is bouncing up and down at 20-30 fps like a stripper on my worn out jeans, it'll be a shit experience no matter how good the rest of the game is.

Godot25

Banned
This Senior Animator job vacancy at Zenimax Careers states the following two requirements for the candidates "Qualifications."

• Passion for video games and especially for first-person immersive games
  • Shipped at least 1 AAA title and been part of a full production cycle
The "Preferred Skills" section also says, "Strong familiarity with MachineGames´ titles."

Wolfenstein 3 with possible reveal in Showcase?

kuncol02

Banned
It was not a total disaster, I saw a handful of games I wanted to play and more will come. And let’s be real, MS still has to hit it out the park to even begin to change anything. Disappointed PS fans won’t rush out to buy a XSX because of this show even if MS show something extremely cool. Pay attention to how the core PS fans here talk after Microsoft’s and Bethesda’s show and throw some quotes in my face if I’m wrong.
As third party showcase it was not great, but not terrible, but for Sony showcase of first party games after 2 years of waiting it was worse than disaster.

Those glittering.....

Fairy dust.....

Fairytale.....

Fable!!!

OMG Fable confirmed!
It's Glowing Trail, so Fable confirmed indeed.

Ozriel

M$FT
Based on whatever we've gotten on Fable last year, it feels like its way too early for the Fable reboot to have a public showing. But I'm welcome to be surprised.

Why would you think this? We’ve gotten no info that tells us it’s ‘too early’ for a Fable public showing.
I’d be very surprised if a 2024 release date isn’t announced.

Godot25

Banned
Why would you think this? We’ve gotten no info that tells us it’s ‘too early’ for a Fable public showing.
I’d be very surprised if a 2024 release date isn’t announced.
I saw Naughty Dog dev who said that full production for AAA game is usually 2 years. Rest is spent in pre-production with smaller team. That was also confirmed by Remedy.
With that in mind, there is possibility that Fable is closer than we think. Since Eidos is also working on a game along with Playground and I doubt Microsoft would brought Eidos into mix if game was not in the actual full production.
So for me, Fable is holiday 2024 title or Q1 2025 baring any setbacks.

That would also "confirm" Hellblade II for holiday 2023 or beginning of 2024, since Tameem (head of NT) said in june 2021 that they are moving into full production.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I saw Naughty Dog dev who said that full production for AAA game is usually 2 years. Rest is spent in pre-production with smaller team. That was also confirmed by Remedy.
With that in mind, there is possibility that Fable is closer than we think. Since Eidos is also working on a game along with Playground and I doubt Microsoft would brought Eidos into mix if game was not in the actual full production.
So for me, Fable is holiday 2024 title or Q1 2025 baring any setbacks.

That would also "confirm" Hellblade II for holiday 2023 or beginning of 2024, since Tameem (head of NT) said in june 2021 that they are moving into full production.
Was about to comment this until I saw that last line.

That "2 year" period seems accurate based on how/when we expect HB2 to release.

EOY 2023 = 2.5 years of full production. (less likely IMO)
Mid 2024 = 3 years of full production. (more likely IMO)

Godot25

Banned
Was about to comment this until I saw that last line.

That "2 year" period seems accurate based on how/when we expect HB2 to release.

EOY 2023 = 2.5 years of full production. (less likely IMO)
Mid 2024 = 3 years of full production. (more likely IMO)
I honestly have no "expectations" of release of Hellblade II. I secretly hope that Microsoft don't just have Starfield and Forza Motorsport for last months of 2023 but that could be the case of course. Making games is clearly hard. But even if game will slip into 2024, I really don't care that much since I have plenty of games to play.
I was just connecting dots between what head of NT said in 2021 and info from Naughty Dog/Remedy about 2 years of actual full production with AAA games.

Also, I don't expect that Hellblade II will be in need of such a QA than Starfield for example. Even if they introduce more complex mechanics in sequel, it still be fraction of complexity that BGS games are offering.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
H74NzTo.jpg

It's happening.

I think the show will be very good, however - and unfortunately - I don't expect big third party announcements there.

Granted these days, companies prefer to announce games independently anyways.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
When does the Hype train start boarding! Theres not many of us left but I demand that adamsapple adamsapple Riky Riky StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 & myself are helming the front - Sorry if I've missed anyone!?

I would make one but I am shite at photoshop lol!
Nah, there are plenty of folks here including me hoping for a good show. Just not a lot of diehard console warriors anymore. Plus the whole fool me once, shame on you, fool me 20 times shame on me that xbox/ms has been doing for the past two generations.

Ps5ProFoSho

<---obvious PS fan boy. If they don't do better than sonys showcase, they might as well stop making xbox. Nothing could be worse than the turd-pile of games sony showed.
I'll be buying my first-ever BOX if starfield is everything that it should be.

Last edited:

Kacho

I think this will be the biggest show for Xbox in a decade but I can't jump on the hype train. I've been burned too many times.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'm expecting Starfield to be Fallout/Skyrim in space. I can live with steady 30 fps with great scope games (optional dumbed down 60 fps mode is better). When I dabbled with Redfall for an hour, it's 30 fps felt fine.

But if Starfield is bouncing up and down at 20-30 fps like a stripper on my worn out jeans, it'll be a shit experience no matter how good the rest of the game is.
I dont know man. Zelda does this all the time. It's really not a big deal. Granted most of the drops are when you are using ultrahand, and walking around towns, and its fairly smooth in combat but starfields few combat sections looked very smooth.

KaojElD.gif

The demo was native 4k and maintained 30 fps. I have no doubt that they will be able to get at least 30 fps working very smoothly. I think even 60 fps should be a possibility though Bethesda is one of the few AAA studios that utilizes the CPU to its fullest so they might just leave it unlocked.

I am not really worried about starfield. At least not on the xsx. The demo looked stunning (for a bethesda game) and ran fairly smooth with only one area dropping frames.

U4YApF1.gif
5JlaTVg.gif

And honestly, this looks better than most next gen only games released so far despite being a bethesda game who arent really known for pushing visual fidelity. It really surprised me. The only thing that can fuck this game is if Bethesda rushes it out the door. They need to realize that games now take 1 year of QA testing after being complete. Thats exactly what Nintendo and SE did with Zelda and FF16 respectively. They finished the game last year but delayed it by a full year just to make sure it didnt break. I think Phil should be celebrated for delaying it instead of getting shit over it because then he just might rush it out to avoid a backlash over a delay.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I dont know man. Zelda does this all the time. It's really not a big deal. Granted most of the drops are when you are using ultrahand, and walking around towns, and its fairly smooth in combat but starfields few combat sections looked very smooth.
KaojElD.gif

The demo was native 4k and maintained 30 fps. I have no doubt that they will be able to get at least 30 fps working very smoothly. I think even 60 fps should be a possibility though Bethesda is one of the few AAA studios that utilizes the CPU to its fullest so they might just leave it unlocked.

I am not really worried about starfield. At least not on the xsx. The demo looked stunning (for a bethesda game) and ran fairly smooth with only one area dropping frames.

U4YApF1.gif
5JlaTVg.gif

And honestly, this looks better than most next gen only games released so far despite being a bethesda game who arent really known for pushing visual fidelity. It really surprised me. The only thing that can fuck this game is if Bethesda rushes it out the door. They need to realize that games now take 1 year of QA testing after being complete. Thats exactly what Nintendo and SE did with Zelda and FF16 respectively. They finished the game last year but delayed it by a full year just to make sure it didnt break. I think Phil should be celebrated for delaying it instead of getting shit over it because then he just might rush it out to avoid a backlash over a delay.

All this combined with the fact that Starfield will probably be one of the most expansive games at launch, makes it seem like an incredible endeavor.

kuncol02

Banned
<---obvious PS fan boy. If they don't do better than sonys showcase, they might as well stop making xbox. Nothing could be worse than the turd-pile of games sony showed.
I'll be buying my first-ever BOX if starfield is everything that it should be.
They will show at least Forza and Starfield. That's already twice as many not multiplayer games as Sony.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Fuck me!, Why am I getting hyped...why do I do this to myself?
Nah this is good. It shows you still have some passion left for video games. A lot of us are jaded and cynical, so go ahead and embrace the hype.

I am personally pretty fed up with MS shows this past decade so I will keep my expectations in check. I do think they will have a much better show than Sony, and we might see some really cool looking games this year. Fable, State of decay, Avowed, Perfect Dark were all shown 3 years ago in CG form, surely they should have something for us, even if its just a small teaser. I think because they blew their CG load 3 years ago, we wont have a repeat of Sonys conference and should have actual gameplay or at worst realtime teasers. They are also not investing in GaaS as much so pretty much everything will be single player which used to be why I became a Sony fan.

In theory, MS should have this in the bag. They have the games. They have the studios who are due. They can have me just by showing those five games with some fancy graphics or fancy gameplay. And if they can have a jaded gamer like me, they should have no problem with the rest of the gaming audience. I wish them luck.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
KaojElD.gif

U4YApF1.gif
5JlaTVg.gif

Maxed out Fallout 4 on PC can look stunning, I expect Starfield to wow me.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
All this combined with the fact that Starfield will probably be one of the most expansive games at launch, makes it seem like an incredible endeavor.

No Man's Sky was also incredibly expansive and had very little to really do in that world. I hope that they properly give you a reason to explore these areas with unique events and not making it feel like an ubisoft Collecathon. StarField is the game I am most looking forward to once FF16 releases.

splattered

Add me to the hype... thing. Even though i'm not as excited this year as i have been in the past. Hoping to be proven wrong this year. Hoping Sony has another showcase later this year with more 1st party stuff too.

Reactions: Isa

NickFire

I want this game to live up to the hype, smash expectations, and be a solid GOTY contender.

I also want MS to take an absolute bath on sales and short term subs, resulting in them somehow losing money on one of the best games ever.

In short, I want the game to surpass the audiences expectations, while also serving as a cautionary tale for companies who put most eggs in the takeaway basket as opposed to building and nurturing a strong library of games organically.

Top Bottom