• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Games Showcase Announced for June 11 before the Starfield Show

Hype check time!

• Phil won't let us down, he always delivers!

Votes: 18 13.2%
  • It won't be difficult to surpass the Sony shitshow in any case.

Votes: 65 47.8%
  • Phil my boy, this is your last chance of redemption.

Votes: 29 21.3%
  • It will suck, can't convince me otherwise.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • First-party stuff only or bust!

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mansoor1980

Gold Member
4291e3481c6eb8787cc7238d77f63b55e699ebbd.gif

Topher

Gold Member
Keep reading down the Twitter thread it gets better and better ... Aaron says not to bother tempering expectations this year. I don't know that I've ever seen them this confident about a showcase. Might actually be something special this year o_O

I'm looking forward to the Starfield showcase more than anything, but yeah, a kickass game showcase is LONG overdue.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Keep reading down the Twitter thread it gets better and better ... Aaron says not to bother tempering expectations this year. I don't know that I've ever seen them this confident about a showcase. Might actually be something special this year o_O
Worth remembering that they were confident the year they gave us Halo Infinite gameplay and the Redfall CGI trailer. I'm keeping my expectations low so to be pleasantly surprised :)

reksveks

Seeing how your in more Square Enix threads than Xbox, you have reason to be bitter...
Hmm yeah SE platform release strategy is a bit annoying but you know that's their right and I can only deal with it by deciding whether to wait or to fold.

Re the new news, still going to be a Debby downer. Like the two hour clarification, like the CGI clarification but there is some vague re in engine. Preferred the 12 month limit but I don't mind them expanding to 18. Generally not sure the comments are going to be good for keeping expectations in check.

supernova8

Banned
3zQ33ks.jpg

joke of course

I dunno something rubs me the wrong way about Aaaron Greenscreen, worse than Phil!

Just want to see if Playground really can do something good with Fable. They've literally only ever made racing games so.. it seems like a pretty big ask.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

2 hours long confirmed.

Also, 12-month limit set last year is confirmed to not apply this year.

I think I'd rather they did an hour - whatever they have to show there'll be some bits that will be better than others. Just show the best hour would be my preference.

Also, good to label things that are CGI, but just don't bother, I don't need a cgi trailer to show me Joanna Dark and then years of nothing.

Despite those most unhyped reactions (sorry everyone), I am really interested to see what they show.

Would obviously love a surprise release either on the day or something unexpected to get a 2023 release date.

But, the thing I'd love the most is for more companies to be able to take the approach that Nintendo took with TOTK. That is to say, finish your games before releasing them.

kikkis

I think I'd rather they did an hour - whatever they have to show there'll be some bits that will be better than others. Just show the best hour would be my preference.

Also, good to label things that are CGI, but just don't bother, I don't need a cgi trailer to show me Joanna Dark and then years of nothing.

Despite those most unhyped reactions (sorry everyone), I am really interested to see what they show.

Would obviously love a surprise release either on the day or something unexpected to get a 2023 release date.

But, the thing I'd love the most is for more companies to be able to take the approach that Nintendo took with TOTK. That is to say, finish your games before releasing them.
Even sonys 1 hour long showcase struggled in pacing a lot, so 2 hours from Microsoft might be bit coma inducing.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Screenshot-20230604-225846-2.png

Alright, fuck it, I'm in on the hype train. This is do or die time for them and they are at least projecting the confidence that they've brought the goods.

Phil don't fail me now
‘Years of hard work many teams have put their heart and soul into this for you all’.

So IMO we’re getting updates on the big 4. Fable, Perfect Dark, Avowed, Everwild.

Good.

They can’t afford to show and then release the games beyond 2024 though, so I hope they’re all cooked at this point.

Riky

$MSFT
Screenshot-20230604-225846-2.png

Alright, fuck it, I'm in on the hype train. This is do or die time for them and they are at least projecting the confidence that they've brought the goods.

Phil don't fail me now

Well that's a stark change from the normal temper expectations line, looks like they finally have the goods ready.
You could tell in Phil's interview that despite being incredibly frustrated after Redfall he was still confident that they finally had the games in line to get this gen going.

supernova8

Banned
Wonder when Phil is just going to call Aaron and speed dial and be like:

"Aaron...Aaron.... Aaron... AARON! shut the fuck up"

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
All in engine and gameplay.....

Somebody hold me! They better not be setting me up for dissapointment as all of this is sounding too good....

I hope they all just relax a bit now so we can keep our hype in check.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If I was Microsoft and knew I had a decent show, I would be hyped as fook right now.....I hope this energy and their Showcase can back their vibes.

Cmon MS, it's time for all the hardworking to pay off.

Show me and my Mrs fable!

do it jewish GIF

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
‘Years of hard work many teams have put their heart and soul into this for you all’.

So IMO we’re getting updates on the big 4. Fable, Perfect Dark, Avowed, Everwild.

Good.

They can’t afford to show and then release the games beyond 2024 though, so I hope they’re all cooked at this point.
More likely, Hellblade 2 instead of Everwild.

I wouldn't say this is good though. I think it's the bare minimum.

Those games were supposed to all released by now. If they only show those games + Starfield (which was also scheduled to release last year and already had a deep-dive in the last Showcase), it won't be a good Showcase, in my opinion. It'll be very similar to the PlayStation Showcase, which was very average.

Xbox needs more than that.

They need to show raw gameplay footage of new unannounced fantastic games to make a difference and make their show better than PlayStation's.

Banjo64

cumsessed
More likely, Hellblade 2 instead of Everwild.

I wouldn't say this is good though. I think it's the bare minimum.

Those games were supposed to all released by now. If they only show those games + Starfield (which was also scheduled to release last year and already had a deep-dive in the last Showcase), it won't be a good Showcase, in my opinion. It'll be very similar to the PlayStation Showcase, which was very average.

They need to show raw gameplay footage of new unannounced fantastic games to make a difference and make their show better than PlayStation's.
Personally I disagree, I’m not interested in fresh reveals when they’ve not even got their old reveals out after 3+ years.

The success of this showcase won’t be based on what they show, it’ll be down to the quality of the actual releases.

Avowed, Fable & Perfect Dark all need to be between 85 and 95 OC games if they’re looking to shift the needle.

Flashy trailers and reveals mean Jack for them right now.

reksveks

Independent of the wider context, if those show well, it's going to be better than the PS Showcase personally especially re first party.

3 CG trailers, Helldivers 2 and then the Spider-man which was good (not for me and not cause of the gfx) however it's kinda in the same position of Starfield vs those MS games.

In the wider context, Xbox in general needs more than that but not to beat the PS Showcase. As Banjo64 says, more important they just need to release the games well.

The success of this showcase won’t be based on what they show, it’ll be down to the quality of the actual releases.

Avowed, Fable & Perfect Dark all need to be between 85 and 95 OC games if they’re looking to shift the needle.
Well the showcase can only "show games", right? Obviously they need to have a good showcase and then they need to release well otherwise the showcase means nothing.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Personally I disagree, I’m not interested in fresh reveals when they’ve not even got their old reveals out after 3+ years.

Flashy trailers and reveals mean Jack for them right now.

I completely agree, give me at least release quarters. I want in game footage and "coming q1 2024" for example.

And yes, they need to deliver games with 85+ mc which I hope they can.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Independent of the wider context, if those show well, it's going to be better than the PS Showcase personally especially re first party.

3 CG trailers, Helldivers 2 and then the Spider-man which was good (not for me and not cause of the gfx) however it's kinda in the same position of Starfield vs those MS games.

In the wider context, Xbox in general needs more than that but not to beat the PS Showcase. As Banjo64 says, more important they just need to release the games well.

Well the showcase can only "show games", right? Obviously they need to have a good showcase and then they need to release well otherwise the showcase means nothing.

Just Starfield and Forza make this showcase better, when you're only new first party game is something you recently purchased and it's CGI and multiplatform then the bar is as low as it can go.

The fact that they are saying some "in engine" stuff gives me hope that Everwild and Perfect Dark will be shown in some way even if it's limited.
If Perfect Dark has that go pro look like that recently seen UE5 demo but with a heavily stylised look that would be incredible.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

To create hype, they dont need to review well at all....look how excited everyday people get for big release trailers and game play.

They need to wow with this showcase...then when they review well, that is the icing on the cake....

Reviews don't do anything right now to create hype and console sales with the wider consumer.

Top Bottom