• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Games Showcase July 23 - Ready to get back to work Chief?

Are you ready

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I managed to catch the show right before work, but I didn't have time to comment afterwards. I was happy with the games they showed, but not so much they way they showed them. I was hoping for more gameplay right from the console, not a bunch of cinematic/in-engine trailers. Avowed and Fable seem cool, but barely anything was shown.

Overall, happy with the games, but the event was just average.

GeorgPrime

Banned
I think Microsoft are probably never going to go all in on big studio productions to the extent of Sony I really thought they where moving in that direction in concert with cornering the new "subscription model" that they have pioneered, would have been a devastating combination

But as a value proposition an Xbox with Gamepass is as good an offer that you will find in he biz

I still feel they could be more aggressive 1st party wise, feel they're being a bit too safe in that area

Only for the people who wabt to be digital only

noise36

Enjoying the melts and the memes, dont feel sorry for MS, they are highly successful corporation with enough cash in the bank to buy Sony twice over.

For me, not to concerned who is winning the pre-show hype, I will wait for actual consoles, actual games and go where ever the best games play best same as this generation.

Grinchy

Banned
They couldn't even show Gears Tactics running on a XSX. They couldn't show anything actually running on one...

They may be more behind than I thought. Hopefully The Medium and Crossfire X don't take long to release.

TalentedMrJ

I was really interested in State of Decay 3 before the title was revealed... with no gameplay
Halo Infinite reminded me of Combat Evolved which is a good thing
The Medium looked interesting
Fable trailer with no gameplay was a slap in the face
Everwild looks good but I have no idea what it's about
Avowed... great trailer

The positive here is that 9/15 studios showed their games today
That's 6 surprises left including The Initiative

Hezekiah

Banned
Colour me underwhelmed. I was very surprised at how Halo looked. Graphically it was pretty mediocre, and there were frame dips. Right now it looks way off Doom Eternal for example.

Very little actual gameplay even from Forza. State of Decay was just a CGI clip. Tell Me Why? No idea what it's about. Everwild same thing and it looks like an indie game. Hellblade was short and sweet and told us very little, and Ninja Theory don't have a great track record for delivering. Stalker 2? Yet more CGI clips with menacing music, nothing that tells me anything about the gameplay. Is Warhammer an FPS? Supposedly out next year so you'd think they would show much more than they did.

Avowed could be the most impressive game, but of course there were literally a few seconds of the in-game footage with the player standing still holding a magical sword. Fable literally showed nothing and is a big risk when you consider who is developing it.

I honestly think CrossFire was the most impressive thing they showed, maybe a Crysis style shooter.

Overall very disappointing, especially after Phil Spencer's near-constant hype. Xbox has got its work cut out, Sony is gonna work them over next month and there's just way more hype for PS5.

kriolo

Halo infinite dissapointed.Please sell me a better halo and charge me 60 usd,but take some risks,make the World more interesting visiting living worlds with buildings npcs etc open world games must include interesting World!!!!!but If it is gonna be the same thing everytime....and just license unreal5 or id tech 6

ErRor88

Man the meme's are vicious in here...

Hellblade - They should have showed more. That snipped made no sense.
Halo - As a halo fan, that game needs another year to cook as 2020 was a wash. They showed have just waited.
Forza - If that in-engine trailer translates to the actual game. It's the best looking racing game period.
Everwild, SOD 3, Fable - I need more details on these as they look promising.
Everything else was ok.

Overall I give MS presentation a solid 7.5/10. They could have had more gameplay to round it out more. Having the most powerful console means nothing if you can show why it's the most powerful.

jose4gg

Halo - As a halo fan, that game needs another year to cook as 2020 was a wash. They showed have just waited.
Forza - If that in-engine trailer translates to the actual game. It's the best looking racing game period.
Everything else was ok.

Overall I give MS presentation a solid 7.5/10. They could have had more gameplay to round it out more. Having the most powerful console means nothing if you can show why it's the most powerful.

GT had gamplay, come again when the game is released to say is the best looking game of the two...

sol_bad

Man, I am so glad I didn't stay up to watch this in Australian time. I'll admit first up that I am a Sony fan, owned a PS1-PS4. Microsoft on the other hand I have only owned an X360. With all the hype surrounding Halo Infinite I was hoping to be impressed, I played and loved Halo 1, Halo 2, Halo 3, ODST and Reach and was hoping Infinite would pull me in to buy an XSX but it was a huge let down. I'll still buy the game but it will be on PC and not on XSX.

I have said before and I'll say it again, having the most powerful hardware means shit all if you don't have the development teams to back it up and MS continue to prove that they don't. The Xbox One X wipes the floor with PS4 Pro but there sure as feck are no games on the One X that looks anywhere near as good or surpasses TLOU2 or God of War.
:(

C'mon MS, get ya'll arse in gear.

Dr Bass

Everything else was ok.

Forza looked like it was running at 20-24FPS in that "in-engine" demo. GT on PS5 was 60FPS if you go watch the video, and I thought it looked pretty close if not better in terms of rendering quality. Maybe the 60FPS is influencing my take there, but it looked really really good.

And they actually showed real footage of GT gameplay and in game dash stuff. It just seems better to me. Picking on a couple of things before it's done while ignoring how great it looked otherwise seems a bit silly. So in comparison I think Forza lost that head to head.

Edit: Ok watching again, Forza looks more like 30fps at least. It's really hard to tell. When you view GT and Forza side by side GT looks smoother for sure, which is probably why I thought Forza was lower than it is. They both look good, but GT looks more a capture of a game that's running while Forza just looked like a promo.

Last edited:
This was absolutely terrible. Probably their worst. This one actually made me angry. Oh Ninja Theory. Lets go. Dev basically says thanks for playing Hellblade 1 check out our youtube page. Bye.

Ascend

The show was... Ok. No bombs were dropped.

For Halo Infinite, there is something wrong with the art style they chose. I can't put my finger on it. Maybe we are too used to everything being shiny. In Halo Infinite barely anything shines, and I think that art style simply doesn't go well with a lot of people. And we have to remember this is 4K 60fps. Comparing the graphics of a 4K 60fps game to games that run at 1440p 30 fps is far from fair.
To me, the best looking game visually was Crossfire X, followed by Medium. Many games were shown that look interesting, but none of them really blew me away.

I think MS was a bit overconfident here with their show. They didn't really surpass Sony's. Not that they're really behind either. They're both about equal.

Shmunter

Listening to gameinformer impressions. “Halo looks like a skylanders with guns”. Sheesh.

Edit, these guys are a bunch of bafoons, don’t recommend it. Used to be better with diffferent people.

Last edited:
Far too many PS fanboys trying to control the narrative. Sony's conference was really awful, didn't hold a candle to what was shown here 1st party wise. The mental gymnastics by the Sony crowd is quite frankly embarrassing.

LMAO I've never seen someone go through such mental gymnastics to convince themselves that others are doing that to themselves.

This was a shit show by and large, and definitely worse than Sony's.

At least Sony showed gameplay that looked worthy of a Next Gen showing.

We were sold gamepass in Microsofts showing - and it didn't look too pretty.

Pobb

Neo Member
I bought an Xbox one for the MCC and Halo 5. Both were such a disappointment I gave up and went full Playstation.
The Halo Infinite reveal had me so hyped that xbox could get me back but no.
I don't think 343i understand Halo at all.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Every gen I say the same thing. Ill buy and Xbox when they show 5 games I will buy exclusive to their platform. This gen the only one I wanted was sunset overdrive. I literally saw nothing today of interest. Guess it'll be Sony and Nintendo again

I've to admit that I'm a little bit disappointed because I really hoped to see Killer Instinct 2 or at least one new big game in which I could be really interested in. Now the only games I'm looking forward to are Everwild and Fable.

They also missed the opportunity to show gameplay of Hellblade!

I'm still buying that 12TF Monster, but please Phil Spencer, show me Killer Instinct 2 :)

Coney

Mind boggling they didn't show at least a few moments of Hellblade 2 gameplay. Everything else just felt very anticlimactic. Like someone else said, they really could have used some mic drop moments, too. There was too much filler Showing a few more gameplay demos that really impressed would have done wonders. They really needed to have a concise showing that left no doubt what next gen should look like to wash away the flak they got in May.

It's not all negatives though. There is still some really cool games coming, but they got overshadowed by the poor execution of the show.

ZywyPL

Banned
I know, but it had at 4k60 with RT, you can't compare in engine stuff with that...

Key word in his post - IF. But if anything, Forza games have a much better track record when it comes to trailers representing the actual game, whereas GT trailers never come close tho how the actual gameplay looks, just check GT5 trailers from 2009-10, this is how the game will actually look now, on PS5, not decade ago on PS3. But yeah, we need more gameplay footage for real, I expect there will be a new "next-game racing face-off" topic made once that happens, so all the petrolheads will do shit-ton of comparisons between GT7, FM8, ACC and PC3.

jose4gg

Key word in his post - IF. But if anything, Forza games have a much better track record when it comes to trailers representing the actual game, whereas GT trailers never come close tho how the actual gameplay looks, just check GT5 trailers from 2009-10, this is how the game will actually look now, on PS5, not decade ago on PS3. But yeah, we need more gameplay footage for real, I expect there will be a new "next-game racing face-off" topic made once that happens, so all the petrolheads will do shit-ton of comparisons between GT7, FM8, ACC and PC3.

I understand but they showed in-engine captures, that don't even specify the platform they used to capture it. GT7 went straight and showed things that even have imperfections but can easily ƒix with time.

Compsiox

Banned
I just have to say the crash opening for Halo Infinite was underwhelming. Things felt immediately off from that point. It felt rushed.

ZywyPL

Banned
I understand but they showed in-engine captures, that don't even specify the platform they used to capture it. GT7 went straight and showed things that even have imperfections but can easily ƒix with time.

What actually caught my attention is the lack of Xbox One being mentioned at the end of the trailer, as oppose to other titles:

fm8.jpg

Is it a hint that the game will be next-gen only?

Kagey K

Banned
I just have to say the crash opening for Halo Infinite was underwhelming. Things felt immediately off from that point. It felt rushed.
It’s from the middle of the game, they said there are a few chapters before you get dropped there.

He even references to John “Since I ran into you it’s been nothing but trouble.”

Top Bottom