• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Keystone: Xbox Streaming Device Protoype Revealed

Draugoth

Gold Member

Xbox Keystone is the name of the protoype of the Xbox Streaming Device/Console​

Microsoft’s head of Xbox, Phil Spencer, has just revealed the company’s dedicated Xbox game streaming device. Spencer published a photo of the device on Twitter, where you can see it sitting on top of his shelf in his Microsoft office space. It’s a small white box, that resembles the look of the Xbox Series S and will be dedicated to accessing Xbox games over the company’s Xbox Cloud Gaming service.

Microsoft first announced it was planning an Xbox streaming device last year, and many had incorrectly assumed it would be a stick that would plug directly into a HDMI port. While Microsoft is still working on this Xbox streaming console, codenamed Keystone, it will be more of a box or puck-like device that attaches to monitors and TVs.

The Xbox streaming device will also likely include access to media apps like Netflix and a lightweight user interface to launch Xbox games. Microsoft acknowledged the Keystone name earlier this year, but revealed it was still working on a new revision of the device. Sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans tell The Verge that the Xbox team continues to work on its streaming device, and still plans to bring it to market.Microsoft has managed to launch an Xbox TV app, though.

Available on 2022 Samsung TVs and monitors, the Xbox TV app launches games from Xbox Cloud Gaming and supports streaming games at 1080p at up to 60fps. You simply log into your Microsoft account in the app and stream Xbox games just like you would through Xbox Cloud Gaming in a browser. Microsoft hasn’t officially commented on the appearance of its Xbox streaming device, but the Xbox account on Twitter replied to Spencer’s tweet with “Now what did we say about putting old prototypes on your shelf boss.” That’s a big wink wink, nudge nudge if ever I’ve seen one.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
It's inevitable. This is the road that we will see in the future.

Right now, they are building the streets, in order for them to drive it in the future.

Would this launch fast? Not really. It needs time, and competition from other sectors. Competition breeds innovation.
So if MS wants this to be a good launch, they need smooth gameplay, and the ability to play paid games. That would score them huge wins.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I thought the whole point of cloud gaming was to remove hardware and other barriers of entry. Why cant they just make an app on the tv? I legit thought that is what they had announced last year.

Is this for people who dont have smart tvs?

reksveks

I thought the whole point of cloud gaming was to remove hardware and other barriers of entry. Why cant they just make an app on the tv? I legit thought that is what they had announced last year.

An app and a dedicated hardware puck, they will do both. A little compute power will help the experience

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

They have, just with Samsung for now I think though.

But yeh, the whole "removing hardware" thing was always going to be selective.

anthony2690

Banned

There is an app on Samsung TVs currently... I have it on my Samsung qled TV.

You can also use the web browser and to on xbox.com/play to stream too.

Last edited:
It's inevitable. This is the road that we will see in the future.
A device dedicated to only playing games over the cloud doesn’t make sense and will never work.

Having a game pass app on Samsung TVs makes a lot more sense and lowers the barrier for casuals just like Netflix, HBO Max and all of the other streaming services.

Like Phil mentioned I think we are ways out until the cloud gaming thing catches on because internet speeds have to improve in more areas for it to work.

Last edited:

nikolino840

I think not all tvs have all the apps...my 2022 lg tv bought for my bedroom don't have crunchyroll (but geforce now and stadiaRIP yes) so now i have also the amazon firestick

feynoob

Banned
A device dedicated to only playing games over the cloud doesn’t make sense and will never work.

Having a game pass app on Samsung TVs makes a lot more sense and lowers the barrier for casuals just like Netflix, HBO Max and all of the other streaming services.

Like Phil mentioned I think we are ways out until the cloud gaming thing catches on because internet speeds have to improve in more areas for it to work.
It makes sense, once the technology is in working phase.

The mass doesn't care about how you play it. All they care about, is an easy to play it. This device, is the easy way. No installation, now forced updates. Just turn it on, and play it.

Also the internet is available in alot of places, and is improving at rabid pace. In 5-8 years, alot of countries would have fast internet.

The real obstacles is the technology needed to eliminate latency. Until that thing is fixed, and is functional like the hardware one, it won't be a hit.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Interesting naming convention for a streaming only device. Especially when "keystone" is used in a business sense. Interesting, indeed.

Schmick

- Raise console prices and push a cheap streaming dongle.
- Push subscription services and cloud gaming
- Death of physical games
- Death of consumers owning games

Microsoft wanted to eliminate game ownership with Xbox One and failed. Are they slowly taking another route to it?
Why are you making MS the villain here?

No logical reason to choose a partnership with Samsung TVs over their own stick unless the internal data showed that there’s barely any penetration in the market.

Probably the same reason they are partnering with Logitech for handhelds. I expect more collaboration hardware streaming projects from them to mitigate risks. Hardware is a expensive endeavor

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Microsoft wanted to eliminate game ownership with Xbox One and failed. Are they slowly taking another route to it?
One can say, it's a "keystone" to their entire business model.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Probably the same reason they are partnering with Logitech for handhelds. I expect more collaboration hardware streaming projects from them to mitigate risks. Hardware is a expensive endeavor
They’re just choosing wrong IMO. Samsung and a $350 crappy spec handheld, the idea of cloud gaming was a cheap entry point IMO.

ReBurn

Gold Member
No logical reason to choose a partnership with Samsung TVs over their own stick unless the internal data showed that there’s barely any penetration in the market.
It makes way more sense to put apps on smart TV's than to produce a streaming stick, IMO.

Banjo64

cumsessed
It makes way more sense to put apps on smart TV's than to produce a streaming stick, IMO.
It definitely does, just not exclusive to 2022 Samsung TVs. Should be on every single smart TV that can run it alongside Apple TVs, Rokus, Amazon Fire Sticks - everything.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It definitely does, just not exclusive to 2022 Samsung TVs. Should be on every single smart TV that can run it alongside Apple TVs, Rokus, Amazon Fire Sticks - everything.
At least as many as possible. I could see Apple blocking it since they won't let a streaming app into their mobile App Store but it should be everywhere that will allow it.

At least as many as possible. I could see Apple blocking it since they won't let a streaming app into their mobile App Store but it should be everywhere that will allow it.

This is going to be Microsofts issue getting their apps and streaming services to more people the fact that they aren’t a prominent hardware manufacturer. Samsung makes sense, but are they gonna be able to cut a deal with LG, Sony, Vizio?

Same with mobile, its either samsung or apple and we all know the latter isn’t going to work out

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
This is going to be Microsofts issue getting their apps and streaming services to more people the fact that they aren’t a prominent hardware manufacturer. Samsung makes sense, but are they gonna be able to cut a deal with LG, Sony, Vizio?

Same with mobile, its either samsung or apple and we all know the latter isn’t going to work out
LG and Vizio, sure. More apps in their stores makes them more attractive. Sony not so much. But the barrier to entry will be low if you could get it on Roku or Chromecast.

Apple is probably going to continue to block apps that compete with their own subscription service. But the web based implementation of cloud gaming on Apple mobile devices is pretty good so hopefully they don't mess around with that.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The years away comment is surprising. I thought it was something imminent based on the leaks since last year.

oldergamer

Not a good post dude. They didn't want to eliminate game ownership, that is an incredibly simplistic way of looking at digital ownership that already existed on PC for years. They even presented a way you could resell digital games, which isn't currently possible on PC for download only titles.

Death of physical games is inevitable. Just as it was for PC. raise console prices? they have had the cheapest consoles compared to playstation for a long time. Sony raised console prices, did that mean the death of physical games?

oldergamer

They can do both. I think they will pair with set top box makers. There is less appetitive to have more then one of those types of boxes connected to a TV. its either that or wait for hardware to shrink.

Top Bottom