• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Gold free games for January 2023 announced

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Danny Devito Smh GIF

LordCBH

kyle mooney trash GIF by Saturday Night Live

Microsoft prepping the Games With Gold lineup each month. Meanwhile Gamepass is like a really nice restaurant experience.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Just another supremely embarrassing list. Microsoft needs to do something other than giving everyone a good reason to laugh at XBL once a month.

Gudji

Reviews are actually decent for both. I can understand the snark regarding unknown games but I'd be interested in the Iris Fall. It gives me Contrast vibes (played it on PS Plus when I got the PS4 in 2013) and I'd be interested in playing something similar.
robocop come quietly GIF

Jaybe

Are they legally obligated to provide these? Is that why we get two weak titles so the pluralization is apt?

Independence Day Happy 4Th Of July GIF by Stan.

JaksGhost

I think For Honor is the only case?
…and that one only received a 60fps patch for current gen consoles. If they were to offer a Series version of a game it would at least pad this into less meh territory. Right now they are relying solely on backwards compatible titles.

Epic games is giving for FREE without subscription MANY games and those games are much better, It seems like Microsoft chooses the worst games they can find to put them for "free" on games with gold.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Has anyone actually played these?
To be honest I don't even think the devs have tried playing these games.

I wonder if we'll eventually get a:

"Dear xbox users, ,

We've brought a huge library of good xbox 360 games to games with gold, and since there were no other 360 games we could give with gold any longer, we just don't give a shit anymore.

Unfortunately, because we cannot find more low quality xbox one games to give out we simply won't bring more games to the service. "

Need a trade in program where you trade in a gold game for 15 days of gamepass. That gold library would get some use. The 360 games would be worth 30 days.

FeralEcho

Nah - it was fine until a few months ago when they got rid of the free backwards compat games.
This so much!!!!

It wasnt incredible or anything but at least there was some hope some awesome Xbox or 360 game i hadnt played or bought would make it that month to the service alongside the obscure Xbox one shit they were providing but now they removed that and instead of improving the remaining two offerings they doubled down on even more obscure shit.

Like others have said I genuinely think it has become an inside joke at Microsoft to see who can prepare a more obscure assortment of "free games" to their users.There's probably bets involved as well considering how hard they try!

Three

To be honest I actually feel bad for the games that get put on GWG because if anything it brings them bad publicity. If they were included with one big/known game then that bad publicity would just be better exposure for a cheap unknown game. The way it is now though is that their game gets compared to trash.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I'ma assume Phil just stopped investing cash into GWG in favor of shifting that budget to game pass.
But why is that if they are still charging for both services the same amount as always?

Not every XBLG owner would have Gamepass. They shouldn't get the short end of the stick like this.

Last edited:

Jaybe

This so much!!!!

It wasnt incredible or anything but at least there was some hope some awesome Xbox or 360 game i hadnt played or bought would make it that month to the service alongside the obscure Xbox one shit they were providing but now they removed that and instead of improving the remaining two offerings they doubled down on even more obscure shit.

Like others have said I genuinely think it has become an inside joke at Microsoft to see who can prepare a more obscure assortment of "free games" to their users.There's probably bets involved as well considering how hard they try!
I think they still have a solid list of first party backward compatible 360 and One games they could be providing or recycle through.

I sense this is all a setup for a statement like ‘there is only 0.0004% of users engaging with GWG, so we are cancelling the program’

you can only give away so many bangers before you run out. Is their a list of all the quality titles it had given out over the years?

I think they still have a solid list of first party backward compatible 360 and One games they could be providing or recycle through.

I sense this is all a setup for a statement like ‘there is only 0.0004% of users engaging with GWG, so we are cancelling the program’
For sure. All the people wishing they abandon GwG will instantly change their mind though. Even if they literally give away zero games, it's a huge deal because of the Gamepass conversion. It will be missed when it's closed.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

The problem is that if they cancel Xbox Live, they'll have to make Online Play free, and I'm pretty sure Xbox/MS doesn't want to do that. That's just leaving money on the table.

If they keep Xbox Live as is and only cancel GWG, they're essentially increasing the price of the product by taking away features and going back on their promise of giving away 2 games every month.

They're in a rock and a hard place. The only sensible way, in my opinion, would be to improve the quality of games they offer.

Hestar69

All will be forgiven if the rumor from last month that neon white is coming to game pass (probably a fake rumor sadly)..

GWG are a joke at this point,atleast sony gets it...Now if only sony's ps++ games were good like Game pass

Top Bottom