• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox looks set to hold its E3-style showcase in June

Chronicle

Time to justify all those purchases. Bring the pain. Sad that I don't own an Xbox, but I love to see me some cool games. Good bye Fallout. A true loss.

Sony needs to come back to E3. Its that time of year. Being a black sheep can be cool and all, but I think it's better to join in the festivities and celebrate together. Glad Microsoft is having a show.

kingfey

Banned
I am really hoping they tone down the cgi personally, it sadly does nothing for me :(

But I have this complaint with every game that reveals with cgi.
MS currently don't have solid projects ready. After 2023 is when they can actually have some projects ready to present.

So we are stuck with CGI, until their studio's have something to present that year.

oldergamer

MS currently don't have solid projects ready. After 2023 is when they can actually have some projects ready to present.

So we are stuck with CGI, until their studio's have something to present that year.
Not sure where you get that idea. They have more solid projects in development then ever before. MS hasnt announced everything coming this year.

Bethesda and obsidian say HI.
Neither of them have made a gta style open world game. Thats crackdown short of cutscenes.

Isa

Gold Member
I always expected June as the timeframe for their event since that's what they've done just about every year. Obviously I'm hyped up for Starfield, but I'd also love to see more Japanese game surprises, the rest of the Danganronpa games for example, so far things are improving on that front which is good, but a lot more could be done. I think Soul Hackers 2 could benefit from being added to GP for more people to try it. Regardless I'm thrilled to play that on my Series X in September.

Also after GT7, which is a good time I want to see Forza 8, I want to see what they bring to the table after the break. Will it be crossgen? I suspect not, and hope not. I want that thing to sing on next gen.

Chukhopops

At the very least I’d expect Starfield, Contraband, Avowed, State of Decay 3, Plague Tale Requiem, Redfall, Slime Rancher 2 and FM8 to have gameplay. Atomic Heart and Stalker 2 are a bit of a question mark considering the Russia/Ukraine situation. Then there’s the new content for existing games like the FH5 extension, a couple indies like Replaced / Somerville / Scorn.

That’s already enough for a 40 minute show and the rest is just gravy on top.

Lognor

Banned
Gameplay should the focus cause they showed too many CGs last year. Dunno about Perfect Dark. It seems to be in trouble like that new IP from Rare.
I haven't heard that Perfect Dark is in trouble. What's the source on that?

But agree about more gameplay! We should get a long gameplay preview for Starfield, but hopefully they lay off the CG. I'm sure Phil Spencer has heard all the negative feedback about the overuse of CG trailers from their recent presentations. Now a lot of these games are far enough along in development that we should see actual gameplay.

kingfey

Banned
At the very least I’d expect Starfield, Contraband, Avowed, State of Decay 3, Plague Tale Requiem, Redfall, Slime Rancher 2 and FM8 to have gameplay. Atomic Heart and Stalker 2 are a bit of a question mark considering the Russia/Ukraine situation. Then there’s the new content for existing games like the FH5 extension, a couple indies like Replaced / Somerville / Scorn.

Contraband, state of decay 3 and avowed will be lucky to have a gameplay this e3.
Since they are far away in time 2023.

Atomic heart already had gameplays. Other 3rd party games will have some sort of gameplay.

Fm8, starfield will have gameplays. Maybe redfall, if they make it to August.

kingfey

Banned
Not sure where you get that idea. They have more solid projects in development then ever before. MS hasnt announced everything coming this year.
They aren't coming this year. Unless it has early release on 2023. They always show CGI for their new projects. Or CGI trailer for their games.

Neither of them have made a gta style open world game. Thats crackdown short of cutscenes.
Cdpr made cyberpunk2077. If you take out the management issues, they come close to creating a gta like game.
Bethesda and obsidian with MS resources should be able to make a game like that. Especially with the help of other MS studios.

Chukhopops

Contraband, state of decay 3 and avowed will be lucky to have a gameplay this e3.
Since they are far away in time 2023.

Atomic heart already had gameplays. Other 3rd party games will have some sort of gameplay.

Fm8, starfield will have gameplays. Maybe redfall, if they make it to August.
Avalanche has four studios and hasn’t shown anything since 2019 (only Second Extinction in early access), they released a game every two years if you check their history. Maybe it will release 2023 but there’ll be gameplay.

Undead Labs hasn’t released anything since 2018 although it’s true they have supported SoD2 really well post release. End of 2022/2023 isn’t crazy especially since it’s AA. The game is also a prime candidate for some GP early access.

Avowed is a bit more of a question mark but Obsidian usually has 2-3 year development cycles (they released PoE, PoE 2, TOW and Tyranny over a three year window) so it’s not crazy to assume that.

oldergamer

But agree about more gameplay! We should get a long gameplay preview for Starfield, but hopefully they lay off the CG. I'm sure Phil Spencer has heard all the negative feedback about the overuse of CG trailers from their recent presentations. Now a lot of these games are far enough along in development that we should see actual gameplay.
Perfect dark isn't in trouble at all, it's being developers in tandem by the imitative and the eidos tomb raider team.

oldergamer

They aren't coming this year. Unless it has early release on 2023. They always show CGI for their new projects. Or CGI trailer for their games.

Cdpr made cyberpunk2077. If you take out the management issues, they come close to creating a gta like game.
Bethesda and obsidian with MS resources should be able to make a game like that. Especially with the help of other MS studios.
Again you don't really know what's coming this year. Outside of a few larger titles, they haven't announced everything releasing.
You're forgetting that they have yet to officially announce projects coming from 6 - 8 studios ( rumors that haven't been made official )

And why are you bringing up CDPR? It was less GTA then the original crackdown, so its a bad example. IMO they should have went further with the world simulation aspects of cyberpunk to help live up to the hype, however again it has nothing to do with MS studios. MS studios haven't made a game like that as of yet.

If another crackdown happen (I doubt it will after the development mess that was the third title), MS won't be giving it to studios that haven't made a game like that before. It would be better suited for a company like Avalanche Studios, that made the just cause series.

Last edited:

We had real-time footage of Starfield already and that's releasing this year. We also had gameplay from Hellblade 2 recently and we are probably looking at a Forza release this year as well. There are plenty games far enough along to show actual gameplay not sure what you're on about to be honest.

kingfey

Banned
We had real-time footage of Starfield already and that's releasing this year. We also had gameplay from Hellblade 2 recently and we are probably looking at a Forza release this year as well. There are plenty games far enough along to show actual gameplay not sure what you're on about to be honest.
Hell blade 2 gameplay/trailer was GOTY event. Starfield on e3 was a engine teaser of the release date. There was no gameplay.

This year would have some gameplays, no doubt about that. But MS would still give us CGI trailer, about 2023-2024 games.

For me personally, Starfield gameplay is what i really need from this event.

kingfey

Banned
Again you don't really know what's coming this year. Outside of a few larger titles, they haven't announced everything releasing.
You're forgetting that they have yet to officially announce projects coming from 6 - 8 studios ( rumors that haven't been made official )
They are cooking something, no doubt about that. There are still zenimax games, which they have withhold during e3 last year.

And why are you bringing up CDPR? It was less GTA then the original crackdown, so its a bad example. IMO they should have went further with the world simulation aspects of cyberpunk to help live up to the hype, however again it has nothing to do with MS studios. MS studios haven't made a game like that as of yet.
CDPR was going on a bigger route. Their management had to change the project scoop, due to their bad management. Even that, cyberpunk2077 was 80% done.
The reason why I am bringing them, is because they made witcher 1-3. Same as how obsidian made outer world and bethesda made TES and Fallout games. They can make crackdown with their expertise area. But they would need new engine though.

If another crackdown happen (I doubt it will after the development mess that was the third title), MS won't be giving it to studios that haven't made a game like that before. It would be better suited for a company like Avalanche Studios, that made the just cause series.
They already have the best studio for that project. ID software is the most suitable for that project, with the help from obsidian and bethesda. MS can make a great crackdown game.

mejin

The most recent info:

We know they hired CD to help them. Let's wait for June.

Lol must be a slow news time for Microsoft when people are seeing who’s leaving studios. Lol if the games shown and it’s great wonder what’s the narrative will be then. Wasn’t this the same shit being said when drew Murray left for insomniac.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Ok, so.. are we gonna have E3 or not?

I know the physical event is off, but we were gonna have it digitally(outside of just Microsoft). Is that still in the cards? I'm totally out of the loop on this one..

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Ok, so.. are we gonna have E3 or not?

I know the physical event is off, but we were gonna have it digitally(outside of just Microsoft). Is that still in the cards? I'm totally out of the loop on this one..

I don't know if there is going to be an official E3 or not this year.

If this show is the same caliber of last years Xbox E3 showcase I'm not going to be too upset if there isn't an E3 this year. Xbox now owns almost all the dev studios I care about so there isn't much I feel like I'd miss out on especially since it sounds like there will be 3rd party support for this show.

One of the studios Xbox doesn't own is Asobo (God knows why they haven't bought them yet). I think they will probably show off Requiem at this event since it's launching Day 1 on Game Pass. I would like to see what's going on with BotW 2, but if there isn't an E3, I'm sure Nintendo will do a Direct to show us more of the game.

I'd much prefer to have some kind of E3 but I won't get too upset if there isn't one this year. I DO hope the full scale E3 comes back next year though.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I don't know if there is going to be an official E3 or not this year.

If this show is the same caliber of last years Xbox E3 showcase I'm not going to be too upset if there isn't an E3 this year. Xbox now owns almost all the dev studios I care about so there isn't much I feel like I'd miss out on especially since it sounds like there will be 3rd party support for this show.

One of the studios Xbox doesn't own is Asobo (God knows why they haven't bought them yet). I think they will probably show off Requiem at this event since it's launching Day 1 on Game Pass. I would like to see what's going on with BotW 2, but if there isn't an E3, I'm sure Nintendo will do a Direct to show us more of the game.

I'd much prefer to have some kind of E3 but I won't get too upset if there isn't one this year. I DO hope the full scale E3 comes back next year though.
Thank you for the answer. So it's not a hundred percent yet.

We're getting a little close, so they have to confirm it soon. Like you said, we're probably gonna have a Nintendo Direct and a Microsoft showcase. So that already covers quite a bit. I guess we'll see. As long as the world doesn't blow up by then..

tmlDan

Really looking forward to seeing Avowed soon. Hope it's at a stage where it can be shown at E3.

Starfield is already a guarantee, but the rest who knows.

Excited for Starfield, perhaps more than I've ever been for a game. If the game amounts to even just half of it's potential it could be my GOAT.

Excited for Forza Motorsport, always loved this series and this will be the first one with more than a couple years of dev time which has always been the weak point of previous Motorsport games.

Very curious what ID is working on right now. Doom Eternal might be on my top ten games ever made even if I suck at it. A Quake reboot in the vein of Doom 2016 would be awesome.

Fable will at least be interesting as it's the first game from a new studio within Playground. If they can deliver a world as well crafted as the Horizon games were the potential is huge.

Interested in Avowed, but don't know enough to be excited yet. Same goes for Everwild.

Outer Worlds 2 I'm interested in, hopefully the game has a bit more substance than the first which overall I enjoyed. I'm not sure anything is ready to show yet.

Perfect Dark is a huge question mark to me. I loved the first PD despite it's performance, Zero was hot garbage, and this one might end up being the complete opposite of the first game, centered entirely on being a cinematic experience. Good for people that are looking for that but it's not for me.

Honestly I would love another Crackdown with Terry Crews. I had a ton of fun with 3.

Last edited:

Barakov

Hoping for Avowed gameplay.
shave tounge GIF by britbox

jhjfss

They are located in Belarus. So, Atomic heart, stalker 2, and replaced are all in limbo.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Hoping for a two hour showcase with gameplay trailers for Fable, Avowed, Redfall, Forza Motorsport, Contraband and 20+ minute gameplay presentation for Starfield!! I get all of this, I will be very happy.

Top Bottom