• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox March update revealed

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Star On Fox Jahil Rivera GIF by STAR

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I don't understand the pin to quick resume feature - does this let you pin games that didn't previously support Quick Resume? if not, what's the point?
Probably not, but those are the games which you play regularly, I don't think it's that much of a benefit tho. But is at least something I guess.

Leyasu

Banned
Where is the “USB audio now available, meaning that you can enjoy your favourite DACs instead of being forced to use the average Astro mixamp” announcement?

Absolutely ridiculous that this is not available.

ZehDon

What I really need is the opposite: "Pin" to never quick resume.

Quick Resume rarely works with the games I play, such as Halo MCC.
That's interesting. I did a reply of the entire MCC before Infinite came out; Quick Resume worked perfectly for every game in the collection?

How about full bar customization? I don't need the start screen to have my past 5-6 recently used apps. I just need

Games/Apps - Social/Profile - MS Store - GamePass - Settings

Then let me customize the bar under it with the games i play the most. Simple and easy.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I don't understand the pin to quick resume feature - does this let you pin games that didn't previously support Quick Resume? if not, what's the point?

No, it lets you pin games to quick resume so the system doesn't purge them from the quick resume cache if you get more/newly launched games on quick resume.

The console can hold a certain number, I believe it's 2~3 SX optimized games and 4 to 6 Xbox One games (don't quote me on that).

This way your pinned game will always be in quick resume memory regardless of how many more newer games you open and put in quick resume states.

How come Xbox gets these update threads?

Dean Winchester Reaction GIF

Last edited:
Maybe now I can get Dolby Atmos through my Samsung TV ARC.
Works with movies on the PS5 but for whatever reason Series X just No option.
Have to run the Series X through the receiver first. But it gets iffy when I set it to 120hz.
I would rather run the Series X into the TV directly.

Orbital2060

Good news, I can safely pin Elden Ring to QR and save myself the longest of the loading, great feature.
I saw the QR icon but does it really work? And connect back online when you resume?

Edit nvm I didnt see the other replies. Yeah starting in offline is not an option for me just in case it messes with achievements.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I don't understand what choosing the Atmos or DTS:X option does here (or on other consoles or PC), wouldn't the game need to actually produce/communicate object based audio data and height channels for it to not just be upmixing the standard surround output? Ime the upmixing from the game usually sounds worse than the upmixing from the amp/sound system.

I got the Atmos plugin for Windows 10 and then tried it in RE2R (and RE3 maybe too?) and it still won't actually bitstream uncompressed audio to my amp. It just shows up as LPCM 5.1/7.1 and I understand thats almost identical to bitstreamed Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MA, but because its not bitstreamed my amp won't go into its proper Atmos/DTS:X mode and instead says its outputting "LPCM 5.1ch 48kHz + Vertical Surround Engine Neural:X". "Vertical Surround Engine" is my soundbar's Atmos/DTS:X virtual upmixing method.

TL;DR - Isn't it better to just output "uncompressed 5.1/7.1" and let the amp/sound system do its own thing, knowing what it can do? Or is the DTS-HD/DTS:X option actually sending out actual height channels and/or object-based audio metadata?

FeldMonster

That's interesting. I did a reply of the entire MCC before Infinite came out; Quick Resume worked perfectly for every game in the collection?
Judging by your comment, I am assuming that you played campaign only? If so, yes, Quick Resume works well with the campaign.

But as someone who cares little, if any, for campaign, QR ruins multiplayer. It disconnects you from the server, but doesn't tell you, so if you enter matchmaking, you will never enter a match, and never receive an error message.

On the HaloMCC subreddit, I see the same question posted over and over: "Is Halo MCC dead, I can never find a match". 90% of the time they are on a Series console, and QR is the culprit. So I preach to people to manually quit out MCC always.

Halo Infinite has a similar issue, and although I dislike its multiplayer and stopped playing months ago, at least it warns you. Halo 5 generally plays nice with QR, but I quit it out every time just in case, as I play it every night.

Last edited:
The update I really want is to toggle which games use quick resume and which ones should block its use. I'd suggest more granular control e.g. Halo Infinite campaign use quick resume, multiplayer block quick resume. I'm over the network delay in games like Apex or Halo MCC/Infinite where they either search and never find a game or crash out back to their main menus as those server connections are dead when quick resuming online games. I find even times when you quit the game using dashboard features the quick resume can still be saved and spin up sometimes. I'd rather just halt multiplayer games and boot them fresh and ready to go without errors, UI backtracking, waiting on network timeouts etc.

Shmunter

I don't understand what choosing the Atmos or DTS:X option does here (or on other consoles or PC), wouldn't the game need to actually produce/communicate object based audio data and height channels for it to not just be upmixing the standard surround output? Ime the upmixing from the game usually sounds worse than the upmixing from the amp/sound system.

I got the Atmos plugin for Windows 10 and then tried it in RE2R (and RE3 maybe too?) and it still won't actually bitstream uncompressed audio to my amp. It just shows up as LPCM 5.1/7.1 and I understand thats almost identical to bitstreamed Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MA, but because its not bitstreamed my amp won't go into its proper Atmos/DTS:X mode and instead says its outputting "LPCM 5.1ch 48kHz + Vertical Surround Engine Neural:X". "Vertical Surround Engine" is my soundbar's Atmos/DTS:X virtual upmixing method.

TL;DR - Isn't it better to just output "uncompressed 5.1/7.1" and let the amp/sound system do its own thing, knowing what it can do? Or is the DTS-HD/DTS:X option actually sending out actual height channels and/or object-based audio metadata?
Yes, the output container is unrelated to the game generating the positional data - that’s the bigger trick.

Gamerasi

As with the Playstation 5, they plan to release gameplay video capture and chat recording when. We're tired of waiting.

Kuranghi

Yes, the output container is unrelated to the game generating the positional data - that’s the bigger trick.

Yeah I guess as long as the game can tell the sound API and then that tells the audio device whether a sound is above or below, or even just positionally more accurate on the same level as you then it should have height/object-based data for the sound system to output instead of just upmixing.

Only thing is surely 5.1/7.1 output precludes actual height data since it would 5.1.2/4 or 7.1.2/4 or are the height channels not encoded separately from the front/rear left/right? As in, could the "uncompressed 5.1/7.1" option also include 5.1.2/4 or 7.1.2/4 output?

Finally got home to try out the update. It does exactly Jack and Squat for dolby atmos. That format might as well be dead for games.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Glad I’ve been able to change the share button. The amount of screenshots I’ve taken accidentally now it just opens the guide. Thank fuck for that.

TLZ

Banned
Why would you pin something in QR? If you use it doesnt it appear under QR? I wouldn't want a game pinned in QR if I'd closed it....
Exactly this. Games I have opened in QR are always pinned in QR anyway. What's the point of this?

reksveks

Exactly this. Games I have opened in QR are always pinned in QR anyway. What's the point of this?
The QR group is dynamic (based on last played) so if you happen to go through a number of games, a game that you might care about can get dropped.

This solves that possible issue. It might be a niche problem depending on how many games you are juggling.

Reactions: TLZ

TLZ

Banned
The QR group is dynamic (based on last played) so if you happen to go through a number of games, a game that you might care about can get dropped.

This solves that possible issue. It might be a niche problem depending on how many games you are juggling.
Ahh alright. This is quite helpful yes. I didn't understand because I've never reached that point you described.

NinjaBoiX

“Remap the share button”, yes!

Can’t tell you the amount of times I’ve seen screenshot or gameplay clip uploaded to Xbox live. I don’t care mate, I’m not interested in sharing a clip of me playing a game.

Will be interesting to see how remappable it is, I’d probably map it to my streaming tab to get straight into Netflix or whatever.

BigLee74

“Remap the share button”, yes!

Can’t tell you the amount of times I’ve seen screenshot or gameplay clip uploaded to Xbox live. I don’t care mate, I’m not interested in sharing a clip of me playing a game.

Will be interesting to see how remappable it is, I’d probably map it to my streaming tab to get straight into Netflix or whatever.

So you want to replace accidentally taking a screenshot during a game, to accidentally booting up Netflix during a game?

What one is going to be more annoying to you, do you think?

onesvenus

Maybe now I can get Dolby Atmos through my Samsung TV ARC.
Works with movies on the PS5 but for whatever reason Series X just No option.
Have to run the Series X through the receiver first. But it gets iffy when I set it to 120hz.
I would rather run the Series X into the TV directly.
Are you sure that's not a TV problem? I've tried my XSX with two different TVs and had no problem sending Dolby Atmos through EARC to the receiver via the TV

Hopefully they finally fix the abysmal audio delay when using Atmos.
What problems do you have? Been playing games and movies and haven't found any delay at all

Top Bottom