• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox March update revealed

NinjaBoiX

So you want to replace accidentally taking a screenshot during a game, to accidentally booting up Netflix during a game?

What one is going to be more annoying to you, do you think?
Good point.

Can I just disable it altogether? 😅

Edit: to be fair, if I know that it’s specifically a button to bring up the streaming tab, then I’ll probably be more careful with how and when I press it.

At the moment I keep thinking it’s going to act as another function within a game, because I don’t really associate it with the actual function because I have no care for it.

Last edited:

Allandor

Hopefully they finally fix the abysmal audio delay when using Atmos.
don't have a big delay there. Just make sure you restart your console after changing audio settings. But most times it is just the TV that makes problems. E.g. because my xh9005 does not allow Dolby Athmos pass through, I connected my xbox through the Athmos System and than to the TV. Only problem is, that I loose the ability to send a 4k120Hz signal. But as the TV just blurrs and the graphical details are to low (for my taste) I just use 4k60 + VRR this way. And all problems are solved.

Yeah their stupid audio setup wizard can't help with the real issue, and that's the removal of the optical port.

Pinned quick-resume? Don't give a flying fuck. If they let me disable quick resume for multiplayer games that don't handle it well... now that would be a feature.

Orbital2060

Im not sure if there is a solution for the online connection through QR. Because wont the app have to go through the required handshakes with xbox live and the game dev/publisher? Xbox could probably find a solution for authorizing the xbox live connection, but it would still take some work from the dev to do the same for their app or game. It just sounds like a process that could be vulnerable for security reasons.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So you want to replace accidentally taking a screenshot during a game, to accidentally booting up Netflix during a game?

What one is going to be more annoying to you, do you think?

Y'all forget how you have to press the SELECT button to lob grenades in Mass Effect 1 on the 360 ? :D

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Last edited:
Are you sure that's not a TV problem? I've tried my XSX with two different TVs and had no problem sending Dolby Atmos through EARC to the receiver via the TV

What problems do you have? Been playing games and movies and haven't found any delay at all
I woukd say its a TV problem that PS5 is able to work around but the Series X cant.
My Damsung q70r will send Atmos through the ARC. It does it with the built in apps and with the PS5(movies streaming apps).
But the Series X makes me use some stupid separate app to enable Atmos and it simply reports my setup cant do atmos.
I can hook my Series X directly to my new hdmi 2.1 denon X1700h. And Atmos works fine.
The Denon does not have the HDMI 2.1 bug that plagued early receivers.
But I want my Game machines on their own tv input.
So Series X fail
PS5 works
why? 🤷‍♀️🤷🏾🤷‍♂️

FrankWza

the removal of the optical port.
The fact that there’s no workaround without losing full HDMI2.1 is tough. TV out requires another splitter if you have a receiver and a headset with base station?
Or switching to optical out on tv negates earc? Either way, the proprietary USB lock is an issue that isn’t necessary

Kilau

Gold Member
The fact that there’s no workaround without losing full HDMI2.1 is tough. TV out requires another splitter if you have a receiver and a headset with base station?
Or switching to optical out on tv negates earc? Either way, the proprietary USB lock is an issue that isn’t necessary
I have mine plugged into the earc port and my receiver can get the arc signal or optical just fine from the TV with the Xbox using all the 2.1 features.

A-fookin'-men brother...
What's even worse is that "good guy Phil" and Microsoft, for all the good/pro- consumer moves that made this gen (i.e: no more "tv tv tv BS, backwards compatibility, cloud streaming, game pass etc), the fact that USB audio is a no-go is one of the most bullshit anti-consumer moves out there, I mean, we used to shit on Sony for these kind of things back in the day but it's 2022 for fook's sake, locking people behind this whole proprietary -only hardware thing is complete and utter nonsense.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I have mine plugged into the earc port and my receiver can get the arc signal or optical just fine from the TV with the Xbox using all the 2.1 features.
I’m sure but not all TVs output both at the same time so you have to switch every time via menu. I was asking him what the issue was because not having optical messed up a lot of setups. If you added an amp or base station for headphones you’d need to split that signal out from the tv somehow or use an optical out on your receiver if it has one which would mean it’s probably older anyway.

soulbait

I don't understand the pin to quick resume feature - does this let you pin games that didn't previously support Quick Resume? if not, what's the point?

It makes it so those games are not cleared out for other Quick Resume games. So if you have more than several games you go between, you can keep two in a state that you know they will be able to Quick Resume.

soulbait

Are you sure that's not a TV problem? I've tried my XSX with two different TVs and had no problem sending Dolby Atmos through EARC to the receiver via the TV

What problems do you have? Been playing games and movies and haven't found any delay at all

When I got my new TV this year it was the first time I tried using eARC rather than having the Xbox directly plugged into my AV receiver so I could try out 120hz. With Atmos enabled, the audio lagged really badly on XSX. Tring MCC, the recoil animation would be done with the gun by time I heard the shot fired. I quickly just gave up on having the option for 120 hz gaming until I can update my receiver. Would rather have audio work well (I have a full Atmo home theater setup) than be concerned with the few games that do 120hz right now.

Kilau

Gold Member
I’m sure but not all TVs output both at the same time so you have to switch every time via menu. I was asking him what the issue was because not having optical messed up a lot of setups. If you added an amp or base station for headphones you’d need to split that signal out from the tv somehow or use an optical out on your receiver if it has one which would mean it’s probably older anyway.
Ah gotcha, those headsets can be an issue.

jaysius

Banned
It's awesome what you can do with the share button now, I never use it, so I turned it into Volume UP and Volume DOWN.

Great work on this one Xbox!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Game updates, downloads and system updates etc can be downloaded when the console is in Energy Saver mode now, essentially when it's shut down. Different than having it in stand by.

Last edited:

reksveks

I’ve always assumed PS4/5 does this in standby too
it does, it's just MS is bringing it in-line with the PS. Previously the default standby mode on xbox was like 20-30W so its still higher than the PS5 (1-1.5W) but alot better than before.

Last edited:

K.N.W.

Pin to quick resume is a good one, now needs to do the hard one. Cloud sync quick resume states.
But that means uploading and downlaoading many gigabytes, it'd still be way quicker to launch the game from scratch and load the save from the cloud.

reksveks

But that means uploading and downlaoading many gigabytes, it'd still be way quicker to launch the game from scratch and load the save from the cloud.
Yeah, it's an absolute pain in the arse but it's solvable via brute force or might be solvable in a smarter way in the future. Whether it is worth it is the more important question.

Top Bottom