• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Might Offer "Timed Slices" Of Games Or Games With Ads

Pelta88

In an interview with Rolling Stones UK, Bond was asked how developers can see success on Xbox. She said, "Game Pass is an option for developers," then explained how Game Pass is just one of many business models by saying, "You have pay-to-play, then there was free-to-play, and then we introduced Game Pass."
Bond says Xbox is looking into other strategies, too."We've talked about how we're experimenting with other models, like what does it mean for advertising in games which is more prevalent in mobile--are there models of that that work well in PC and console?

For me personally...
EddvMkp.gif

Mr Hyde

Ads in games is something I've feared for a long time. It would suck ass if a game is littered with crappy ads between loading screens for example. Product placement is one thing, although annoying it's not as distracting as a full blown ad. Imaging seeing a Dove commercial when you are playing Tomb Raider. It would break my fucking heart.

Pelta88

With this focus on sub numbers instead of games I was always worried that Microsoft's interest was selling gamers, as a demographic, to their shareholders. Instead of selling us games.

The model they're determined to follow aka Netflix announced today that their Advertising tier has reached 5 Million subs

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
If it's an alternative access option - advertising-subsidised timed demos - that leave the actual full games alone, I really don't care. PlayStation charges for its timed demoes, this could be an alternative model to that that costs the end user nothing while providing something they might actually use. We've had swirlings of a cheaper Game Pass tier tier subsidised by ads before, and again, I really don't care as long as it's an additional option.

However, if Microsoft are thinking about sticking Dorito advertisements on my loading screens, or having Mountain Dew splash screens when launching Game Pass games from my full priced subscription, they can fuck right off. They had to re-design the homescreen layout after users complained loudly that they'd turned it into little more than a marketing billboard, repeating that kind of blunder will cost them more than money.

Crayon

Err... Don't really know what that means in practice, if it's practiced at all. Sounds like a suit spitballing.

Fahdis

This is pretty much never going to happen. Either way MS will get the shaft fast and quick if they tried that.

Last edited:

Pelta88

Timed slices? Do they mean demos?

No they're talking about bringing add supported games to console. The type you'd usually see in mobile.

"We've talked about how we're experimenting with other models, like what does it mean for advertising in games which is more prevalent in mobile--are there models of that that work well in PC and console?"

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I've actually always been surprised that they don't offer game rentals. $79.99 on day one to buy, $39.99 for a week. A few months later it's $39.99 and $19.99. Or whatever, it's just surprising this hasn't been offered in the past by Ms or Sony or Nintendo.

The ads thing doesn't really interest me much.

To be honest, I wouldn’t be surprised if the next gta have something like this. Imagine the bill boards or the tv in the games would show differently ads like every other week or something. Be kinda cool. 😂 as long it doesn’t effects me gaming. I’m good

Sleepwalker

I've actually always been surprised that they don't offer game rentals. $79.99 on day one to buy, $39.99 for a week. A few months later it's $39.99 and $19.99. Or whatever, it's just surprising this hasn't been offered in the past by Ms or Sony or Nintendo.

Publishers (and ms) effectively already do that via their subs.

You can rent the whole ea catalogue for $15 a month, same for ubisoft and then there's gamepass.

PS extra is also a form of renting even tho not for the whole catalogue.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Publishers (and ms) effectively already do that via their subs.

You can rent the whole ea catalogue for $15 a month, same for ubisoft and then there's gamepass.

PS extra is also a form of renting even tho not for the whole catalogue.

Agreed but why not by the day/week/month?
No issue with the tech allowing.

onQ123

In an interview with Rolling Stones UK, Bond was asked how developers can see success on Xbox. She said, "Game Pass is an option for developers," then explained how Game Pass is just one of many business models by saying, "You have pay-to-play, then there was free-to-play, and then we introduced Game Pass."
Bond says Xbox is looking into other strategies, too."We've talked about how we're experimenting with other models, like what does it mean for advertising in games which is more prevalent in mobile--are there models of that that work well in PC and console?

For me personally...
EddvMkp.gif
My crystal ball had a glitch
QZvCbpF.png

As someone who used to be in Advertising, I don't mind them... when done right. If it's billboards or signs "in-game" it wouldn't bother me that much. But, if they were like YouTube ads or Twitch ads... yea that shit would get tiring real quick because that would be interrupting gameplay.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

PSNow did this, daily or weekly rentals when it first launched. May have been hourly too.

Last edited:

radewagon

Ads in games. Can't wait for some idiots to make it profitable by playing the games regardless of the shameless monetization. Bunch of gamers will probably even pay for the games even though they should be free because they're ad supported. Let's face it, as a market, we are not the savviest of consumers.

CGNoire

$40 dollars for a 7 day "Rental" sounds Uber Dystopian... even $20 does.

Last edited:
They've been toying with a cheaper, ad-supported GamePass for a while now. If it's only an ad or 2 before launching a game, and not interrupting gameplay, I could see that as an option for somebody wanting GP for cheaper.

Of course criticizing them for something that does not yet exist cuts both ways.
sony-patent-8246454-01.png

No they're talking about bringing add supported games to console. The type you'd usually see in mobile.

"We've talked about how we're experimenting with other models, like what does it mean for advertising in games which is more prevalent in mobile--are there models of that that work well in PC and console?"

No she is literally talking about timed demos. And they’ve been talking about an ad supported tier of GamePass for awhile now.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
They've been toying with a cheaper, ad-supported GamePass for a while now. If it's only an ad or 2 before launching a game, and not interrupting gameplay, I could see that as an option for somebody wanting GP for cheaper.

Of course criticizing them for something that does not yet exist cuts both ways.
sony-patent-8246454-01.png
You know, all this time and I'm just noticing this looks like watching a movie and not playing a game.

zomboden

Banned
I hope nobody values their time so little that they want to watch ads while playing a game just to save a couple bucks a month.

Top Bottom