• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One - 7 Years In Review

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

After making a solid entry in the console market with the original Xbox, Microsoft capitalized on their early success and reached even greater heights with their second console, the Xbox 360. After that, they obviously would have been hoping to continue that upward trajectory, but the Xbox One proved to be a console of ups and downs.

Like Nintendo with the N64, Sony with the PS3, and Sega with the Saturn, Microsoft also stumbled with their third console in the market.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Like Nintendo with the N64, Sony with the PS3, and Sega with the Saturn, Microsoft also stumbled with their third console in the market.
I could be wrong, but I doubt people will remember the Xbox One the way they do those other consoles that "stumbled". Not an insult to the console or games on it, but more commentary on the strategy Microsoft pursued this gen.

Desudzer10

I firmly believe the initial presentation of it killed it. No matter the games or power it still would have a negative vibe to it. I know several people who went with a PS4 just because of how the xbox was shown.

While i did play my ps4 more than my xbox one this gen, Sunset Overdrive and Killer Instinct we're two of my favorite games this gen. And i actually liked the kinect for playing with my son, he loves zoo tycoon and interacting with the animals.

But anyways i think the xbox one gets too much undeserved hate.

- Hardly any games when you consider the whole gen
- Started putting games on PC, making the console decrease in value
- The 2013 debacle ruined any and all momentum they could have possibly carried forward from 360
- Many cancelled games

But they have turned it around. I think Series X will be their best gen yet. Game Pass is excellent, and they have a larger number of first party devs now.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think anyone was impressed with the idea of an underpowered console which doubled as a cable box and had a camera to potentially spy on you. And lest we forget that initially you also had to be online at all times and would be forced to go all digital.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still remember the shock and awe after the intial Xbox One reveal, it was something truly special to behold and something in gaming that i will never forget. I simply couldn't comprehend how badly they fucked up, and how they continued to fuck it up months after until they had to cave as they seen the Xbox brand dying right before their very eyes.

Manadatory XBL check? Removed.
Mandatory connection of Kinect to the console at all times? Removed.
Major Nelson saying switches cant be flicked? Switch was indeed flicked.

The one thing they couldn't fix in an update was the power discrepency between it and the PS4, that was a done deal. Until the One X that was, but even that was tainted by the "One" brand itself, even to a point where people are understandably skeptical of them now and their new consoles that are about to launch. To me, it feels like they've been trying to right the course of that ship ever since and even now, where they have basically been caught with their pants down and no first party games to showcase. You'd think they'd have assured Halo Infinite was good to go, but no, that's not how Xbox operates apparently. I'm not entirely sure how they operate after that either and am yet to be convinced they can create anything worthwhile, even with 23 studios including Bethesda (who they don't even own yet lol).

I'm an Xbox fan no doubt but shit, they better keep Phil locked down by chains if they want to stand any chance of making headway with the brand and the games they make. The Series X & S literally depend on it.

I still remember the shock and awe after the intial Xbox One reveal, it was something truly special to behold and something in gaming that i will never forget. I simply couldn't comprehend how badly they fucked up, and how they continued to fuck it up months after until they had to cave as they seen the Xbox brand dying right before their very eyes.

Manadatory XBL check? Removed.
Mandatory connection of Kinect to the console at all times? Removed.
Major Nelson saying switches cant be flicked? Switch was indeed flicked.

The one thing they couldn't fix in an update was the power discrepency between it and the PS4, that was a done deal. Until the One X that was, but even that was tainted by the "One" brand itself, even to a point where people are understandably skeptical of them now and their new consoles that are about to launch. To me, it feels like they've been trying to right the course of that ship ever since and even now, where they have basically been caught with their pants down and no first party games to showcase. You'd think they'd have assured Halo Infinite was good to go, but no, that's not how Xbox operates apparently. I'm not entirely sure how they operate after that either and am yet to be convinced they can create anything worthwhile, even with 23 studios including Bethesda (who they don't even own yet lol).

I'm an Xbox fan no doubt but shit, they better keep Phil locked down by chains if they want to stand any chance of making headway with the brand and the games they make. The Series X & S literally depend on it.
Speaking of Halo Infinite. Bonnie Ross is the Don Mattrick of the Halo franchise.....There, I said it.

Speaking of Halo Infinite. Bonnie Ross is the Don Mattrick of the Halo franchise.....There, I said it.
I agree, I’m not sure she has a single clue on how to handle this franchise. That’s pretty evident actually.

Either that I’m harshly judging her for something that may not be entirely down to her. Let’s be honest, Xbox own the franchise and probably make more decisions than she does.

Phil should be the one to take shared blame on giving it the green light though, he would’ve seen it multiple times and could’ve easily pulled the plug if he thought it was going wrong.

Worst Xbox console ever. If it wasn't for Forza Horizon and Ori this console would have zero must own exclusives, Ori is even on switch now so it only has FH.

Dane

I firmly believe the initial presentation of it killed it. No matter the games or power it still would have a negative vibe to it. I know several people who went with a PS4 just because of how the xbox was shown.

While i did play my ps4 more than my xbox one this gen, Sunset Overdrive and Killer Instinct we're two of my favorite games this gen. And i actually liked the kinect for playing with my son, he loves zoo tycoon and interacting with the animals.

But anyways i think the xbox one gets too much undeserved hate.

You don't even need to "believe" it was a fact, that shitshow which included its 499 price tag because of Kinect killed any prospect and there goes the add on too, these things alone made a bigger impact than what anyone will claim to be the other.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Amazing work by Microsoft...as always and by that I mean that they fucked up something grandiously. Gotta say ironically this console saved for me exlusives. I cannot passed on Forza Horizin, Sunset Overdrive, Ori...and to an extend Gears.

S73v3

Banned
Poor legacy, Backwards Compat was a small win, never got it's "Bloodborne"

MCC could have been a killer app and was blundered. Shit stain management.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
i never understood how this is still the narrative for Xbox. And Playstation did the same thing that E3 before launch, and nobody cared.
I dont recall playstation having and hdmi in port to work as a vcr.....

Also this...

i1OkFlC.jpg

aries_71

MS betrayed themselves and paid the price.

Let's hope they learned their lesson.

They just took all the wrong hints from the Nintendo Wii. By the mid-end life of the 360 it was clear that Xbox management thought that was the future. It’s clear to me that they were a little ashamed of what Xbox was and wanted to become a family oriented Nintendo clone. It was gamble, and an attractive one, but it didn’t pay out well. Still, they changed course and it looks like they are in a very good standing now.

I love Xbox but the X1 is my least liked console from them. Compared to the OG Xbox and 360.. It was clear that MS wanted 8th gen to be over quickly but dragged on for a long ass 7 years. Series X/S is looking to have a promising future and can't wait to get my hands on one soon.

Don’t think people realised how big the 360 brand got compared to the ps3 at the time

it’s amazing what some unconsumer friendly policies will do for your brand....the ps3 proved it and the xbox one on launch proved it as well

this new gen hasn’t really started yet so it’s going to be great to see how it plays out

Top Bottom