• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One reveal 10 years ago today

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
10 years, wow, makes me feel old. What a horrible box and launch that was. Sunset Overdrive redeemed it for me, I got the white console in the bundle. Couldn't wait to switch for the One X though, that was a lovely machine.

Alan Wake

Whenever you'll stan for Microsoft in some random console warrior thread, just keep in mind that what they wanted to do with this console would be equivalent to putiting a collar with an explosive charge on everyone's neck, and your head would absolutely get blown the fuck off if it wasn't for the stroke of luck that was Don Mattrick, who completely fucked up the marketing strategy for this thing. Always-online DRM, expiring games due to user inactivity, inability to resell your physical copies, Kinect spying on you in your living room... and if you think that this isn't Microsoft's wet dream anymore, think again. GamePass is just a different method of approach to the idea of assessing complete control over what you are allowed to play and how.

Game Pass is a service you can choose to have or just ignore. It's something else than constraining the whole console experience through intrusive limiting DRM. Game Pass offers choice, just like any other streaming service out there. If I could not buy physical games for my Series X I would be much less positive about Game Pass. And yes, I know in which direction we're heading. It's all digital and Microsoft is obviously pushing for that. But Sony will embrace it too.

Alan Wake

10 years, wow, makes me feel old. What a horrible box and launch that was. Sunset Overdrive redeemed it for me, I got the white console in the bundle. Couldn't wait to switch for the One X though, that was a lovely machine.
Same as me then. It looked OK actually. I've always preferred my consoles in white, so I was happy when the One S launched in white. Finally got the white One X too. The difference between that and the One/One S was surprisingly big.

Last edited:
That reveal was fucking heartbreaking. It was so bad that it caused me to jump ship to Sony for the first time ever. I never had a PS1, 2, 3, P, Vita, whatever the fuck. But when I saw this reveal and then all the discussion about them wanting the console to be always online and their attempts to limit used games/trading games, I was like, "Well, I hate this timeline. I guess I'm getting a PS4."

tusharngf

I got coke and chips for this conference. I puked everything at the end. They lost everything after that. First kinect success and then emphasis on TV.

DonJimbo

Pretty much all the wrongs got righted by the One X which still can hold its own today. Forza Horizon 5 looks amazing on it, probably the high point visually of that generation.
The One S was a nice redesign as well, probably my favourite looking console. Most of all I remember Titanfall which was amazing in it's prime, they needed more like that.
Exactly they made the right decision with the One X and the One S
Don really made the Xbox Brand hurt much but Phil came at the right time to save the Brand from insignificance

Alan Wake

That reveal was fucking heartbreaking. It was so bad that it caused me to jump ship to Sony for the first time ever. I never had a PS1, 2, 3, P, Vita, whatever the fuck. But when I saw this reveal and then all the discussion about them wanting the console to be always online and their attempts to limit used games/trading games, I was like, "Well, I hate this timeline. I guess I'm getting a PS4."
Did you ever get an Xbox One after that?

Alan Wake

People mention this, but were they that extreme? The Wii U had your pretty average Nintendo droughts that also happen frequently with the Switch.
They were bad. Indeed. Thing is, when Xbox owners keep waiting for the games we've been promised, or Switch owners wait for the next big Nintendo title, there are plenty of others games to play from other publishers. Wii U had barely no support whatsoever apart from Ubisoft, Sega and Warner. It had a decent launch lineup but already in 2013 the support dried up. Ubisoft even delayed the former Wii U exclusive Rayman Legends (amazing game btw) and launched it on Xbox and PlayStation too. When you play it, it's obvious it was made with the Gamepad in mind.

Woopah

MS learnt all the wrong lessons from Kinect, and that E3 launch was a PR disaster

People mention this, but were they that extreme? The Wii U had your pretty average Nintendo droughts that also happen frequently with the Switch.
Wii U had worse droughts than 3DS and GameCube, and the only really comparable period I can remember is the late life of the Wii.

Switch has much more frequent first party releases and much much better third party support than Wii U, which is why it hasn't had any droughts since 2020.

Did you ever get an Xbox One after that?
Nope and I haven't bought a Series console either. Microsoft killing off games in development and butchering their own studios and focusing on services made it clear that making quality, exclusive games is not something they seem to be concerned with and exclusive games are why I buy consoles.

Alan Wake

Nope and I haven't bought a Series console either. Microsoft killing off games in development and butchering their own studios and focusing on services made it clear that making quality, exclusive games is not something they seem to be concerned with and exclusive games are why I buy consoles.
I fully understand it. I just wonder how the split is between all of us who had a 360 and maybe were there from the very beginning. Who left permanently in 2013, who stayed onboard and who came back after a few years. Microsoft obviously must have stats on this internally.

Ahh yes the good old days of Xbox One……..always online, TV TV TV TV, DRM, cloud powahhhh, DX12, Secret Sauce, people with no internet should keep their 360, Mattrick saying he didn’t even understand what it’s like to be on a submarine, Marc Whitten calling Xbox One‘s capabilities as ‘Rocket Science Level Stuff’ and so many other things. The Xbox One wasn’t a bad system by any means. It had some solid launch games like Ryse, Forza 5, Killer Instinct, Dead Rising 3 and more. The games were solid and plentiful unlike todays efforts by MS with the Series launch. I enjoyed my Xbox One along with my PS4. MS backtracking on their policies showed the shady side of them being caught and trying to amend their poor efforts.
Don’t Mattrick ruined the brand and was shoved out of the picture after his ridiculous comments in his interview with Geoff Keighley. Phil was appointed to come in and try to save the brand from that point. The early days of Xbox One were very rough indeed. They lost many of their base and never really recovered since then.

Last edited:
dmc4ios2.gif

diffusionx

Gold Member
Ahh yes the good old days of Xbox One……..always online, TV TV TV TV, DRM, cloud powahhhh, DX12, Secret Sauce, people with no internet should keep their 360, Mattrick saying he didn’t even understand what it’s like to be on a submarine, Marc Whitten calling Xbox One‘s capabilities as ‘Rocket Science Level Stuff’ and so many other things. The Xbox One wasn’t a bad system by any means. It had some solid launch games like Ryse, Forza 5, Killer Instinct, Dead Rising 3 and more. The games were solid and plentiful unlike todays efforts by MS with the Series launch. I enjoyed my Xbox One along with my PS4. MS backtracking on their policies showed the shady side of them being caught and trying to amend their poor efforts.
Don’t Mattrick ruined the brand and was shoved out of the picture after his ridiculous comments in his interview with Geoff Keighley. Phil was appointed to come in and try to save the brand from that point. The early days of Xbox One were very rough indeed. They lost many of their base and never really recovered since then.
Good post except the Xbox One was a bad system, it was horrible. I ranted about it the other day in another thread lol. Dark days for Xbox and they never really recovered the brand and product, although the One X was a really nice piece of hardware.

If at launch it was way better than Series that is a damning indictment on Series before it is an indication of the One's merits.

Last edited:

RIPN2022

✅They charged $100 more than the PS4
✅It had weaker hardware than the PS4
✅They tried to ban used games
✅They tried to mandate an Internet connection
✅They focused heavily on multimedia offering over games
✅They pushed Kinect which no one cared about
✅They delayed release to many countries into 2024, alienating Japan and parts of Europe

So no surprises when Playstation came out on top. I had quite a few friends that jumped from PS2 > 360 then jumped back to PS4 and then got PS5s as a result of how they handled the Xbox One.
Woah 2024! So some countries didn't experience any Xbox one at all these past 10 years!

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
the reveal was stupid as hell but I still enjoyed the launch period. Forza, Dead Rising 3, and all the Kinect workout stuff were legitimately really great. It had a lot more stuff I was interested than PS4 did at its launch.

Alan Wake

Good post except the Xbox One was a bad system, it was horrible. I ranted about it the other day in another thread lol. Dark days for Xbox and they never really recovered the brand and product, although the One X was a really nice piece of hardware.

If at launch it was way better than Series that is a damning indictment on Series before it is an indication of the One's merits.
A bit harsh maybe? Xbox One wasn't horrible. It had a decent launch, and after that some good games every year and good third party support. It had a really good controller (I personally prefer it to the Series X/S controller).The UI was atrocious at the start but after a few updates it was OK. It offered backcompat, Game Pass came along and so on. Xbox One X was an amazing upgrade. It just wasn't close to the PS4 in terms of games, and at the end of the day that's what counts. PS4 was an amazing console, I think it's Sony's best.

Bridges

You got the Rock band too and being able to (For a while) import all* of your previous tracks was amazing.

*99% or whatever but close enough.
Yeah it ended up being the right decision for me in the long run so I don't regret it. Having my catalog of songs carry over was huge, if I did go PS4 I would've been obligated to get an Xbox anyway when RB4 was announced.

Alan Wake

I am giving up on asking hardcore Xbox fans to hold Spencer responsible, he could be MS CEO and people would then blame the board, he could purchase 51% of the shares himself and people would blame the government or something. How the Head of Game Studios and now the boss of all things Xbox is not to blame for either consoles launch lineup (it was his job getting Xbox One’s launch lineup ready) is beyond me… 🤷‍♂️.
He's a nice guy, easy to like. I think that gets him very far. I've defended him for years but at this point even I am pretty much done with his promises. I like my Series X and all, but the lack of exclusive quality games is so obvious it's baffling how anyone can say otherwise.

ZoukGalaxy

TV TV TV TV TV TV SPORT SPORT SPORT SPORT SPORT SPORT DRM DRM DRM DRM DRM DRM

This is how I remember it, I was SO excited after the Xbox 360 triumph and could have never imagined getting this cringe show and this shitty ugly huge and weak console that you could not even put vertically . I prefer to pretend it never happened for the sanity of my brain. This only show made me switch to the PS4 and I was a diehard Xbox 360 (and still a fan).

It was and it's still a gigantic DISASTER.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I remember this day clearly. I recently moved to New Orleans and cleared my day to watch the showcase. I sat in my apartment while MS kicked me in the gut.

Unknown?

Whenever you'll stan for Microsoft in some random console warrior thread, just keep in mind that what they wanted to do with this console would be equivalent to putiting a collar with an explosive charge on everyone's neck, and your head would absolutely get blown the fuck off if it wasn't for the stroke of luck that was Don Mattrick, who completely fucked up the marketing strategy for this thing. Always-online DRM, expiring games due to user inactivity, inability to resell your physical copies, Kinect spying on you in your living room... and if you think that this isn't Microsoft's wet dream anymore, think again. GamePass is just a different method of approach to the idea of assessing complete control over what you are allowed to play and how.
Can't forget that MS was part of NSA's prism program AND windows has the NSA key(despite them claiming it has nothing to do with NSA).

Alan Wake

I'd love to watch a documentary about Don and Phil, both of the worst things to happen to Xbox.

That original Xbox One was such a piece of crap. At least their hardware is better now.
The only good thing about the Xbox One hardware from the start was that it was dead quiet. After a generation with a jet engine Xbox and a hairdryer PlayStation, that meant something.

Impotaku

X360 was & is still my very first microsoft console & i actually really liked it as it gave me a way to play the stuff that usually never came to nintendo platforms. Amazingly mine still works even now however the whole lets cater to pretty much only the usa and tv tv tv bullshit soured me on ever getting another one so i skipped pretty much every generation of xbox to the present day.

It was a dumpster fire of a presentation, it was like they chose everything i find unappealing and combined it into one machine. Fastest way to turn me off anything is with sport & tv

sachos

It was insane what they tried to do. 100 usd more than the PS4 while the PS4 was 50%!!! more powerful (1.84 tflops vs 1.23 tflops) and had DDR5 memory with 2.57x!! the bandwith (176gb/s vs 68.3gb/s). The cherry on top was the DRM and used games fiasco. That PS4 E3 presentation and used games video were legendary.

Last edited:
Top Bottom