• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

Roberts

Is there a way to play region A BluRay (Americas) on an European console?

Thanks. :messenger_hushed:
Not every US Blu-ray Disc is region locked. Boutique labels like Criterion do lock their discs, but most big studios don’t. To be 100% sure go to places like blu-ray com - they keep track of info like this. 4K UHD discs are region free, by the way.

I’m sorry, had to do it.

LnTKxNn.jpg

Gerdav

Ok thanks. I never normally pre order but my Son wants the new Cod for his birthday and I can imagine it's a big download.
Go on Amazon, or anywhere else of your choice that sells Xbox gift cards delivered by email, load his account with them and pre order the game, not that it matters for cod on Friday this close but if you pre order a game with account credit they take the payment immediately, rather than the ten days before release.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Just received this beauty in the mail. Pre-ordered 2 months ago. I know it's very polarising, you either love or hate it, but it's so late 80s/early 90s. I just had to have it the moment I saw it.

wohxrPk.jpg

The colourful part has a very smooth finish compared to the normal controller. Also has nice black grips on the back.

Last edited:
So uh ... that Rocket Knight game from Gold is actually pretty awesome. Literally like a lower budget Tropical Freeze. Your platforming move set is crazy.

Reactions: TLZ

Gerdav

Soooo, Football Manager 2022 Xbox edition just launched day 1 on game pass, not only have Microsoft decided to give out the gaming equivalent of crack cocaine for “free”, they have it in cloud gaming with full touch controls for mobile/tablet, gamepass better start including free rehab for FM addiction at this rate.

silentstorm

Damn it, didn't think the Lego sale would end so soon and i didn't manage to get Lego City Undercover, still a game i want to play...oh well, the franchise goes on sale at points.

Nothing on sale at the moment i want or don't already own too, oh well, anyways, finished a game in my backlog, Yakuza:Judgment and now...just watching some stuff and going with my life because Lost Judgment will be a big game too and with cutscenes and side cases galore, at least i hear they really dialed down on tailing missions which will be great.

Tschumi

gimmie a quick reply homies, if i get an xbox series S will i be able to purchase online and play pretty much every OG/360 xbox title? there's one up for sale here for less than a switch and yeah i will get it if i can play gladius and ssx3 et al day 1

Last edited:
gimmie a quick reply homies, if i get an xbox series S will i be able to purchase online and play pretty much every OG/360 xbox title? there's one up for sale here for less than a switch and yeah i will get it if i can play gladius and ssx3 et al day 1
Every OG title? No. There are tons not on there. But they do have a lot that I appreciate having access to.

Gladius is not on there. SSX 3 is on there for $10.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Every OG title? No. There are tons not on there. But they do have a lot that I appreciate having access to.

Gladius is not on there. SSX 3 is on there for $10.
any chance they might add gladius at a later date?

i mean, i'm asking if they've said they're gradually releasing more titles?

Last edited:
what would u say to a $200 XSX ? what's ur opinion on the things?
I have a series S and I love it. Id say its a steal at that price. Get Gamepass. Then go on the Xbox store and put every BC title you can find on your wishlist.

I got all the 360 Tomb Raiders, all the Splinter cells, Prince of Persia, Ninja Gaiden, Lords of Shadow, FFXIII, Metal Gear Revengeance, Jade Empire, KOTOR, Panzer Dragoon Orta for around $4 a piece on sales. Waiting on sales for Lost Odyssey and a few others.

Gamepass is totally nuts for me. Just finding a new game a couple times a week every week.

Get the Gamepass app on your phone too. Can check it for releases like Netflix basically and also cloud game on it for free with Gamepass.

Tschumi

I have a series S and I love it. Id say its a steal at that price. Get Gamepass. Then go on the Xbox store and put every BC title you can find on your wishlist.

I got all the 360 Tomb Raiders, all the Splinter cells, Prince of Persia, Ninja Gaiden, Lords of Shadow, FFXIII, Metal Gear Revengeance, Jade Empire, KOTOR, Panzer Dragoon Orta for around $4 a piece on sales. Waiting on sales for Lost Odyssey and a few others.

Gamepass is totally nuts for me. Just finding a new game a couple times a week every week.

Get the Gamepass app on your phone too. Can check it for releases like Netflix basically and also cloud game on it for free with Gamepass.
would u say it's particularly futureproof or are u mostly using it for back compat? If I wanted to be impressed by some of the newer releases, it probably wouldn't do too well on my 4k tv ey?

would u say it's particularly futureproof or are u mostly using it for back compat? If I wanted to be impressed by some of the newer releases, it probably wouldn't do too well on my 4k tv ey?
Its not guaranteed to be future proof. It will never be 4k. I got a ps5 also if I need a game in 4k. Its just mostly my gamepass and BC machine.

I play mine on my 4k TV though and I havent been bothered yet. But its early days. The Ascent looks completely nuts on the S. Forza 5 looks awesome to me at 60 fps. If you want the top tier resolution and performance guaranteed though thats obviously the X. If you purposefully want to get a cheaper system and a cheap Gamepass sub, it delivers big time on value while holding up very well. Future releases are a mystery but so far in these early days its doing well.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Its not guaranteed to be future proof. It will never be 4k. I got a ps5 also if I need a game in 4k. Its just mostly my gamepass and BC machine.

I play mine on my 4k TV though and I havent been bothered yet. But its early days. The Ascent looks completely nuts on the S. Forza 5 looks awesome to me at 60 fps. If you want the top tier resolution and performance guaranteed though thats obviously the X. If you purposefully want to get a cheaper system and a cheap Gamepass sub, it delivers big time on value while holding up very well. Future releases are a mystery but so far in these early days its doing well.
I'll take a moment to look up the list of back compat games atm and reflect on how much i wanna engage in nostalgia sans Gladius :p

Tschumi

I think i've made my mind up, they've got Crimson Skies, SSX 3, Red Dead Redemption from the 360, all with boosted graphics, yeah I think that's a good enough reason. I think I'll sell my Switch and all its games though, it was useful when I was away from my PS4 pro but with a XSS coming I think it's just over-indulgence... lol...

I think i've made my mind up, they've got Crimson Skies, SSX 3, Red Dead Redemption from the 360, all with boosted graphics, yeah I think that's a good enough reason. I think I'll sell my Switch and all its games though, it was useful when I was away from my PS4 pro but with a XSS coming I think it's just over-indulgence... lol...
I can't endorse selling a switch. Most of what I play has been on Xbox and Switch lately. Last is PS5 but that might change next year.

All the systems shine at some point. But yeah, a $200 S is bargain either way. But you would be wasting it without a gamepasa sub also.

Last edited:

Tschumi

I can't endorse selling a switch. Most of what I play has been on Xbox and Switch lately. Last is PS5 but that might change next year.

All the systems shine at some point. But yeah, a $200 S is bargain either way. But you would be wasting it without a gamepasa sub also.
atm i only have limited time to play games, it's a switch lite and i never find excuses to use a handheld when i'm living with my honey, as I will be forever more, so yeah i think i could sell it and it's games for the price of this and then some so yeah. I'll miss Skyward Sword HD and I think I was on track to finally beat FF12 but if I really love them that much I'll get them again down the line when this is all second hand and jailbroken :p It's hard to justify keeping a Vita too but it has like 4 consoles' entire libraries on it if I want so that's staying put.

I think gamepass's offer of a galaxy of titles would just give me too much procrastination fuel :D that's actually why i've always been iffy about it, I've always hoarded games and never completed any of them (the exceptions populate my top games OAT lists) and GP would just totally zonk me, if u get what i mean

Last edited:

Tschumi

yeah i sold the lite for about 230 and the seller reduced the XSS to about 180 so i've gone ahead and done it

Tschumi

have fun!! If you go for gamepass make sure to do the gold / $1 conversion deal. I did it for 3 years
I'm really worried that I'll give in and drop a load of cash on something like Forza Horizon and regret the resolution, but I'll just try to have it as a baby brother to the PS4 Pro for when I want to play retro titles in boosted resolutions...

..that's really 95% of why I'm getting this, so I don't need a CRT for those old games to look good. I really hope they bring games like Spartan: Total Warrior and Mercendaries: Playground of Destruction to the thing, those are amongst my favourite titiles besides Gladius...

Last edited:

elliot5

I'm really worried that I'll give in and drop a load of cash on something like Forza Horizon and regret the resolution, but I'll just try to have it as a baby brother to the PS4 Pro for when I want to play retro titles in boosted resolutions...

..that's really 95% of why I'm getting this, so I don't need a CRT for those old games to look good. I really hope they bring games like Spartan: Total Warrior and Mercendaries: Playground of Destruction to the thing, those are amongst my favourite titiles besides Gladius...
i mean good news is if you ever upgraded to the X all your saves and licenses and stuff will "just work" so there's not much to regret.

$180 for a Series S is actually nuts

Tschumi

i mean good news is if you ever upgraded to the X all your saves and licenses and stuff will "just work" so there's not much to regret.

$180 for a Series S is actually nuts
It includes the system, a controller and AC cable, doesn't seem to include an HDMI cable.. but yeah good deal ey

----

welp, better use my australian hotmail account, cuz the japanese store doesn't have SSX3

Bugger me, they're being anal about credit card regions, and another look at available titles is not very inspiring... I need to start thinking of non-nostalgic games it's worth having on this thing... I think I'm freaking out! I need to be filled in on games worth playing on xbox since 2011, when i sold my 360

Last edited:

silentstorm

Yeah, there are a lot of titles that are not backwards compatible, i can't think of the last time a game became backwards compatible, they just gave up on that, like, you want Bionic Commando:Rearmed?

Get a 360, or the upcoming trio of great shmups, Eschatos, that is getting to PS4/5/Switch and was released on the 360...not BC, meaning modern Xbox owners are screwed out of that one, which is a shame, because i wasn't kidding, the 3 games it comes with are really damn good and addictive for shmups fans.

I mean, some of the expected games are BC, and even some less known ones, but you can't play many OG/360 games sadly and MS doesn't seem to care these days.

Tschumi

Yeah, there are a lot of titles that are not backwards compatible, i can't think of the last time a game became backwards compatible, they just gave up on that, like, you want Bionic Commando:Rearmed?

Get a 360, or the upcoming trio of great shmups, Eschatos, that is getting to PS4/5/Switch and was released on the 360...not BC, meaning modern Xbox owners are screwed out of that one, which is a shame, because i wasn't kidding, the 3 games it comes with are really damn good and addictive for shmups fans.

I mean, some of the expected games are BC, and even some less known ones, but you can't play many OG/360 games sadly and MS doesn't seem to care these days.
this is a dissapointment, and kinda in line with what i had interpreted from the way they went about their marketing... but i've gone all in, i've ordered the console, i'm gonna try and make it work.

At the moment i'm jazzed by the idea of playing games like SSX 3, Red Dead Redemption and the like with boosted visuals - Dolphin is so annoying to use for SSX 3 on PC, and the WiiU didn't do anything to improve the visuals of the Wii virtual console... I've set myself the goal of nailing down 10 titles that I will play, including all backward compatible titles...

At the moment it's:
SSX 3
Crimson Skies
Red Dead Redemption

* = absolutely not a sure thing at this point​
* Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction​
* KOTOR 1 (if you can't patch KOTOR 2 I don't think I wanna play it)​
* Halo: MCC​
* All the Gears titles because why not​
* Mass Effect L.E. - Not sure because I've played it all before and I don't wanna slog through the first one again.​
* Microsoft Flight Sim - I'm not sure about this because even though I'm huge on planes I have always got bored of Flight Sims.​
* Forza Horizon 5 - I'm really not sure about this because I've got GT7 pre-ordered and that's the series I really love. Maybe I'll get an older Forza first and see how I like it.​

Happy to entertain suggestions... though i must say i remember having lost odyssey on 360 back in 2010 or whenever and I remember not getting into it, and xbox doesn't make FFXIII any less linear, or FFXIII-2 any less like a vacuous music video.

this is a dissapointment, and kinda in line with what i had interpreted from the way they went about their marketing... but i've gone all in, i've ordered the console, i'm gonna try and make it work.

At the moment i'm jazzed by the idea of playing games like SSX 3, Red Dead Redemption and the like with boosted visuals - Dolphin is so annoying to use for SSX 3 on PC, and the WiiU didn't do anything to improve the visuals of the Wii virtual console... I've set myself the goal of nailing down 10 titles that I will play, including all backward compatible titles...

At the moment it's:
SSX 3
Crimson Skies
Red Dead Redemption

* = absolutely not a sure thing at this point​
* Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction​
* KOTOR 1 (if you can't patch KOTOR 2 I don't think I wanna play it)​
* Halo: MCC​
* All the Gears titles because why not​
* Mass Effect L.E. - Not sure because I've played it all before and I don't wanna slog through the first one again.​
* Microsoft Flight Sim - I'm not sure about this because even though I'm huge on planes I have always got bored of Flight Sims.​
* Forza Horizon 5 - I'm really not sure about this because I've got GT7 pre-ordered and that's the series I really love. Maybe I'll get an older Forza first and see how I like it.​

Happy to entertain suggestions... though i must say i remember having lost odyssey on 360 back in 2010 or whenever and I remember not getting into it, and xbox doesn't make FFXIII any less linear, or FFXIII-2 any less like a vacuous music video.
The Ascent

elliot5

It includes the system, a controller and AC cable, doesn't seem to include an HDMI cable.. but yeah good deal ey

----

welp, better use my australian hotmail account, cuz the japanese store doesn't have SSX3

Bugger me, they're being anal about credit card regions, and another look at available titles is not very inspiring... I need to start thinking of non-nostalgic games it's worth having on this thing... I think I'm freaking out! I need to be filled in on games worth playing on xbox since 2011, when i sold my 360
Ori games and Psychonauts 2

elliot5

i've tried and failed to get into ori (funnily enough i prefer rayman origins) but i defo have love for psychonauts, that's on the list

that actually looks pretty awesome okay
I never finished Blind Forest, but Will of the Wisps was much better overall. Similar gameplay of course, but the pacing and structure made it much more enjoyable. I'd recommend it even if you bounced off Blind Forest (unless you tried WOTW and couldn't get in to it either)

Top Bottom