• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

ManaByte

Finally got around to buying Conan so I can replay it via BC.

That game would trigger the hell out of people in 2021.

arnold schwarzenegger surprise GIF

silentstorm

Even worse is that quite a few games were on sale before Christmas, but now they are full price, as for indie and niche stuff on sale...mostly games i already own on PC or that i don't care about, this became more of an AAA sale which is normal i guess, but usually i stuck with cheaper games.

Like, i am almost considering buying Monster Train again, because i played that on PC a lot before there was DLC and they added alternative champions, just because i know i like it...and Griftlands certainly isn't on sale.

Soltype

Nope it’s easy as hell. Especially if you already have an Xbox account. You will do half the setup on your phone.
Yeah I've been fiddling with it for the past hour or so, and it was simple. the system is really surprising me, I skipped XBO so all the changes are new to me.

Edit-really loving all the games I can still play on this, did not expect Omega Five to be backwards compatible

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Yeah I've been fiddling with it for the past hour or so, and it was simple. the system is really surprising me, I skipped XBO so all the changes are new to me.

Edit-really loving all the games I can still play on this, did not expect Omega Five to be backwards compatible
Not sure what tv you are using but go into settings< tv and display <4K tv details and make sure everything has a check mark that should then back out and run calibrate HDR for games.

Last edited:

Soltype

Okay everything checks off with the TV except for 120 hertz. Having a weird problem though, not sure if it's the game or the system. Could someone else confirm if Sonic generations has really bad input lag, I set FPS boost on and off and it's still bad

elliot5

Okay everything checks off with the TV except for 120 hertz. Having a weird problem though, not sure if it's the game or the system. Could someone else confirm if Sonic generations has really bad input lag, I set FPS boost on and off and it's still bad
Are you in game mode on your tv settings?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
AW9snQk.jpg

Christmas came early, any quirks or anything I should know about when setting it up?
I dont remember any quirks.

You probably already know this, but games installed to the internal SSD gets all the Series X perks. Games you play off any external HDD wont (assuming you might have an external). Games running off an HDD run at One X settings tops (not sure).

So put all your best and most played games on the SSD to take advantage of the system (especially games marked with the Series S/X label). And for any low priority games you dabble with here and there and dont really care, leave them on the external HDD.

Last edited:

Soltype

I dont remember any quirks.

You probably already know this, but games installed to the internal SSD gets all the Series X perks. Games you play off any external HDD wont (assuming you might have an external). Games running off an HDD run at One X settings tops (not sure).

So put all your best and most played games on the SSD to take advantage of the system (especially games marked with the Series S/X label). And for any low priority games you dabble with here and there and dont really care, leave them on the external HDD.
Did not know that, I guess I'm going to run into this roadblock. already filled the hard drive halfway on day one.

Kagey K

Banned
Did not know that, I guess I'm going to run into this roadblock. already filled the hard drive halfway on day one.
Just buy any external SSD and use that to run all B/C Non X enhanced games (it runs at roughly the same speed as the internal) and use the internal for the games that need to be there.

Soltype

Just buy any external SSD and use that to run all B/C Non X enhanced games (it runs at roughly the same speed as the internal) and use the internal for the games that need to be there.
Is that the same thing as the expansion card?Is there any difference?Also has anyone else done dev mode on their X?

Kagey K

Banned
Is that the same thing as the expansion card?Is there any difference?Also has anyone else done dev mode on their X?
No it’s just using any SSD as an external, that expansion card is a little to pricey for my taste, though the expansion drive does let you run X enhanced games off it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Some games let you install only the modes you want. So look into Manage game. COD fully install with all modes is probably 200 gb. If you dont do SP, dont install that mode.

rofif

Banned
Fkn hell I am the best and the worst Uncle.
I got my 7yo nephew ps3 3 years ago, ps4 last year, games inbetween and 14" laptop (my old work laptop, looking brand new)...
Installed cuphead, spelunky1,2 and so on.
And today I also gave him my brand new Series 20th anniversary controller. He came over and we played cuphead on his new computer. He is terrible with the keyboard. You can see how unnatural arrow keys are for gaming for not initiated.
So I connected my new 20th controller with bt and it works just perfect... he was so impressed, I felt like the devil showing him and saying "you will have to wait 4 months for your birthday now"... and gave it to him when he was leaving.

WTF. I know he will grow up to be a fucking asshole little brat who gets everything he wants. But how could I not.
Damn it, now I need a new controller. I've not even used this one lol. Are the grips ok? Or does the rubber gets sweaty or something? Thinking if I want another 20th or white series version.

edit: For what it's worth - he is saying that the xbox is super cool and the new xbox controller is much better than playstation. I think Series S with gamepass might not be out of the question... But that's too rich of a gift for me. We will see next year with my sister lol
edit2: nvm. Resupplied with another 20th aniv

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Join Game Informer as we break down the Top 10 Xbox Series X/S Games in 2021! Are new additions such as Psychonauts 2 and Halo on the list? What about old favorites such as Ori and the Will of the Wisps? you'll have to tune in to find out!

Put off playing Back 4 Blood for a long ass time. Recently got a headset and I totally missed the bus on Back 4 Blood. Ain't nobody playing that. Anyone here play?

I also play Halo. No interest in ranked though.

Chukhopops

Steam published its yearly top grossing games for 2021:

Highlights for MS:
- Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite and Age of Empires 4 in the « Platinum » rank for new releases (literally three in the top 12);

- Forza Horizon 4, ESO, Forza Horizon 5, Sea of Thieves in the Gold rank for highest revenue;
- Halo Infinite and Age of Empires 4 in the Silver rank for highest revenue;
- Halo MCC, Fallout 76, Flight Simulator, Doom Eternal, Skyrim, Age Of Empires 2 and Fallout 4 in the Bronze rank.

Interesting notes:
- FH5, Sea of Thieves and FH4 beating Halo Infinite on total revenue (Steam only) for this year;
- FH5, FH4 and all the other Gold level games made more money (on Steam) than Resident Evil 8 or NBA 2K22.

Pretty sure the FH license is bigger than Halo at this point, which is crazy.

Last edited:

silentstorm

Forza is a great racing game series and with Game Pass, it's easier/cheaper to get into and kinda demo than most other AAA racing games and know if you want it, add various vehicles, a big world, and a kinda arcadey but also sim racing game and you get a crowd pleaser.

It helps that i don't think Forza has had any controversial or less liked games while Halo 4 and 5's reception was...not as charitable.

splattered

Steam published its yearly top grossing games for 2021:

Highlights for MS:
- Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite and Age of Empires 4 in the « Platinum » rank for new releases (literally three in the top 12);

- Forza Horizon 4, ESO, Forza Horizon 5, Sea of Thieves in the Gold rank for highest revenue;
- Halo Infinite and Age of Empires 4 in the Silver rank for highest revenue;
- Halo MCC, Fallout 76, Flight Simulator, Doom Eternal, Skyrim, Age Of Empires 2 and Fallout 4 in the Bronze rank.

Interesting notes:
- FH5, Sea of Thieves and FH4 beating Halo Infinite on total revenue (Steam only) for this year;
- FH5, FH4 and all the other Gold level games made more money (on Steam) than Resident Evil 8 or NBA 2K22.

Pretty sure the FH license is bigger than Halo at this point, which is crazy.

There is pretty much ZERO chance that Sony aren't going to look at these stats and ramp up their own PC Port efforts 1000% ... huge amount of revenue they are leaving on the table if they don't get off their butts. People that keep saying "No way will NEW games hit day and date on PC - only 3 year old games!" are completely delusional.

silentstorm

Yeah, there are some good games coming to Game Pass or Xbox later, speaking of GP, almost finished with Flynn:Son Of Crimson, it's a pretty platformer with good animations for the characters and backgrounds, soundtrack is decent too, saw people saying this is one of 2021's gems but...ehh, look, the game is fine but it has issues, levels feel like they take too long and could be split in two or three smaller levels, combat is really simple which could be fine but it mostly revolves around shooting from afar or dodge roll the second the enemy makes a choreographed move and it gets repetitive, boss fights are better about this but they are few and many times against the same character who can be so easily beaten i refuse to believe she isn't supposed to be a joke.

It makes the desire to come back and replay levels lessen, i don't know something about the levels just feel like they would really benefit from being shorter, also, combos and cool moves requiring the equivalent of MP to use which can only be restored by melee attacking foes...the combat is so simple and easy you never need to use them and the boss fights instantly remove all MP at the start of the fight and you are better off only using the very first move you learned that uses MP because it's absolutely the best, so you get a bunch of moves that feel like they belong in a much faster paced game that you ignore, maybe if the enemies were tougher or more varied, but nope, doesn't help that they recolor goblins A LOT across the areas.

Again, it's fine and a decent platformer, but a hidden gem...not really, it has some issues dragging the game down besides the ones i just mentioned even, still good for people who like platformers.

Also got recommended Kaze and the Wild Masks but that game's art style didn't click with me instantly and while indie DKC seems great and all, kinda wondering if it's really worth buying at all.

Batiman

Banned
I just got a series X a few days ago and now I can’t play cross play on apex. My friends don’t show up in my friends list and the option to enable or disable cross play in the apex settings is greyed out. My Xbox settings also have cross play open. If anyone knows a fix itlll be much appreciated

Jebron

I'm really hoping achievements get some sort of face lift in 2022. Just adding a platinum-equivalent achievement and a per-game playtime tracker would be amazing.

elliot5

I'm really hoping achievements get some sort of face lift in 2022. Just adding a platinum-equivalent achievement and a per-game playtime tracker would be amazing.
I’m for achievement improvements even though I don’t really care much about them, but I doing think platinum achievements make sense in current year with expanded dlc achievements and service games.

DaGwaphics

The per-game playtime tracking would be great. Hopefully they would work that out in a way where QR didn't effect the time. I noticed on an indie game (I forget which one) where when I finished it said I had played for over 200 hours when I maybe played for a few hours. I assume because QR basically just had the game in a paused state.

splattered

I really wish MS would create an app/tool we could install on our older 360 units that could bulk upload ALL game saves to the cloud. Irritating that i have to go hook up my 360 every time i buy a BC game and then jump through hoops to get specific saves available to the new console.

Top Bottom