• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

If there's one thing that Microsoft is seemingly blessed with, it's a venerable supply of beloved IP in need of revivals, as seen in the response to sequels for its beloved PC franchises. However, upon acquiring Zenimax and Activision-Blizzard, it's become apparent that every big publisher has a venerable treasure trove of IPs that are just laying around. Microsoft and Xbox Game Studios have the benefit of owning a lot more of them following its various acquisitions.

Following the Activision-Blizzard deal;, Xbox boss Phil Spencer has cited his desire to work on franchises from his childhood. Inevitably that leads to the question: What other titles could be brought back for the Xbox Series X/S generation? Let's take a look at 15 of them here.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Arcanum. They own the IP (after buying Activision) and they have all 3 original Troika developers working for them (Tim Caine and Leonard Boyarsky after buying Obsidian and Jason D. Anderson after buying inExile).

385666-arcanum-of-steamworks-magick-obscura-windows-other.jpg

uuAt0LGI_2602150746281.jpg

elliot5

Rossco EZ

Haven't heard a peep and I usually kind of follow the news. MS has been super quiet about anything xbox related since the Activision deal announcement.
hmm. i was thinking about buying one of those SCUF instinct controllers with the new design but want to see what xbox come out with. we should be due a refresh soon right? elite 2 has been out a while now

Last edited:

Roberts

hmm. i was thinking about buying one of those SCUF instinct controllers with the new design but want to see what xbox come out with. we should be due a refresh soon right? elite 2 has been out a while now
Man, I was never really interested in 3rd party controllers, but this one looks awesome.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Red Dead 1 looks so fucking good and clean in 4K on the Series X.

Damn shame it never got an FPS boost. I would have taken it even if it meant dropping resolution to 1440p ala Gears 3.

any rumours knocking around about the next elite controller?

Images of the white version of the S2 Elite were leaked so I'm guessing it will release soon and the S3 based on the Series controller will get announced in the summer at the big Xbox event. When the white version of the S1 was released the S2 was announced at E3 that year iirc.

Rossco EZ

Images of the white version of the S2 Elite were leaked so I'm guessing it will release soon and the S3 based on the Series controller will get announced in the summer at the big Xbox event. When the white version of the S1 was released the S2 was announced at E3 that year iirc.
ah right i didn’t know that thanks. i’ll wait it out a few more months then to see if one is announced

cormack12

Gold Member
Been playing tunic the last few days and got to say the difficulty is a lot of bullshittery.

More and more games are falling into this trap and just designing overly hard games not because the mechanics are hard but because the controls or tools just aren't there to pull it off.

The second boss was just pure shit. Green key maybe? And some of the monsters in the Quarry like those jackals from halo are way OP.

I'm finding it quite unenjoyable as a result. I'll still power through but what was meant to be a nice adventure game is becoming one of those games you'll only have sour memories of.

Shame as I was expecting to come away with that feeling from the likes of Link's Awakening. Ah well.

Started playing less of FH5 as well. Not done the last two season playlists. Mainly been playing FC6 as a result. About to get 1000/1000 on that. Technically leaps and bounds above 5 which I'm still not liking the fps boost on. Ubi should just patch it.

Gonna be diving back into diablo 2 when the ladder starts though.

Rossco EZ

anyone else hoping for an apple music app on xbox? not long switched from spotify and kinda missing being able to play music from the console as i’m chilling on certain games. should be coming soon right? i’m sure i saw a leak from a few months ago that the PS5 and xbox app was planned..

Chukhopops

Been playing tunic the last few days and got to say the difficulty is a lot of bullshittery.

More and more games are falling into this trap and just designing overly hard games not because the mechanics are hard but because the controls or tools just aren't there to pull it off.

The second boss was just pure shit. Green key maybe? And some of the monsters in the Quarry like those jackals from halo are way OP.

I'm finding it quite unenjoyable as a result. I'll still power through but what was meant to be a nice adventure game is becoming one of those games you'll only have sour memories of.

Shame as I was expecting to come away with that feeling from the likes of Link's Awakening. Ah well.

Started playing less of FH5 as well. Not done the last two season playlists. Mainly been playing FC6 as a result. About to get 1000/1000 on that. Technically leaps and bounds above 5 which I'm still not liking the fps boost on. Ubi should just patch it.

Gonna be diving back into diablo 2 when the ladder starts though.
It shouldn’t be that difficult, I don’t want to spoil anything but did you do enough upgrades? Did you find a ranged weapon? Did you go to the quarry right after the second boss?

I actually found Tunic fairly easy except for the last boss but I think I was over-upgraded most of the time.

cormack12

Gold Member
It shouldn’t be that difficult, I don’t want to spoil anything but did you do enough upgrades? Did you find a ranged weapon? Did you go to the quarry right after the second boss?

I actually found Tunic fairly easy except for the last boss but I think I was over-upgraded most of the time.

I dunno, I found like two bones to upgrade ATK. I found a wand that has 12 bullets I think. I don't think there is anything to explore. Bombs are decent but a bit hit and miss. Those pylons that remove all your health are horrid as well.

Chukhopops

I dunno, I found like two bones to upgrade ATK. I found a wand that has 12 bullets I think. I don't think there is anything to explore. Bombs are decent but a bit hit and miss. Those pylons that remove all your health are horrid as well.
There are a lot more upgrades to be found, and most likely you went to the quarry too soon (you’re supposed to go there for the last key). I would go to a different area and look around more if you want to make it easier.

Maybe this is the new MMO from ZO? Or would this be a different one?
That would make sense considering ESO and fallout 76; one team works on all the assets for the main game and another, cheaper team builds an MMO style game using them.

silentstorm

Ever bought a game you thought you would like, only to regret it and be unable to refund it?

OlliOlli World is that for me, i like arcade games, i don't mind the "hard to master, easy to play" style and the world and game seems and is creative, it's just despite that i never played skating games and...it's fine for a while but it gets the wrong kind of frustrating really fast and it's just not that fun to me, and in some cases i feel they went too far into making the game deep like landing being something you can screw up to getting a perfect rating at.

I just felt...forced to play because i stupidly thought the game looked so good i bought the deluxe edition on sale but now it's just...well, if i want a fast arcade game there's like Pac-Man Championship Edition, Tempest 4000 and such or if i want something weird there is Katamari Damacy Reroll.

I don't know, so many people seem to love OlliOlli World and my reaction after playing it is so "ehhhh" that i can only assume skating games aren't my genre, and sure enough, going to Order History doesn't give an option to refund the game.

kikkis

I was hoping Quantum break would get fps boost, but that doesnt seem likely so 30 fps it is. Feels quite weird playing 30fps games again.

btw. does World war z have fps boost?

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
I have really been enjoying my first ever Xbox (series x). The only downfall for me is the UI. The social features are unmatched, really easy to pick up and find groups to play with. Gamepass of course is awesome but I have mainly just been playing Infinite, Fortnite and Rust (I use my ps5 for single player games) . Got annoyed with the battery life so I picked up the elite controller and WOW, fantastic controller.. Love it even more than the dual sense.

DaGwaphics

I was hoping Quantum break would get fps boost, but that doesnt seem likely so 30 fps it is. Feels quite weird playing 30fps games again.

btw. does World war z have fps boost?

Didn't feel like there was a rigid upper limit on this, frame pacing was a little uneven. I wouldn't be surprised if this one is bouncing up to 60 at times. Definitely 30 or so at the lower bounds though. If that's the case, the XSX might get you closer to 60 (I played this on XSS).

The Remedy art style helps cover for the lower fps at least.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Got annoyed with the battery life so I picked up the elite controller and WOW, fantastic controller..

When you'll learn to use paddles instead of face buttons it's nearly impossible to go back playing on something else.

Didn't feel like there was a rigid upper limit on this, frame pacing was a little uneven. I wouldn't be surprised if this one is bouncing up to 60 at times. Definitely 30 or so at the lower bounds though. If that's the case, the XSX might get you closer to 60 (I played this on XSS).

The Remedy art style helps cover for the lower fps at least.

Wasn't there a 60FPS mode in the making when preparing X1X enhancements for the game? I believe it run at 1080p and was ultimately scrapped just begore X1X patch was released.

DaGwaphics

When you'll learn to use paddles instead of face buttons it's nearly impossible to go back playing on something else.

Wasn't there a 60FPS mode in the making when preparing X1X enhancements for the game? I believe it run at 1080p and was ultimately scrapped just begore X1X patch was released.

I have no idea, I never really followed this one much with the reviews it got and knowing the live action show was mixed in. Should not have slept on it all these years though, I enjoyed it. The guy from lost being in it as a character surprised me, wasn't expecting that.

Last edited:

cireza

Started Rogue Legacy 2 yesterday. Huge fan of the first game.

The sequel starts superbly. Great visuals and soundtrack, and this first session was a lot of fun. It looks like they had some great new ideas, and kept the essence of the original. I think I am going to have a great time with the game.

Couple of freebies for Gold / Ultimate subscribers

DaGwaphics

Couple of freebies for Gold / Ultimate subscribers

Thanks for posting, never checked out either of these.

ive asked before and never could really find an answer. But how can i access the Backwards Compatible section of the store. Every now and then it gives it to me as a category. But most of the time it does not

kikkis

Anybody have issues with controller face buttons being insensitive especially to long presses? Has getting replacement under warranty helped?

Jooxed

Gold Member
Xbox Family. The Series X is my first Microsoft Console. However right now it is a Rust and Halo Machine. I am a huge fan of RPG's and story driven games. Whats my first treat coming from these new studio acquisitions. Starfield?

elliot5

Xbox Family. The Series X is my first Microsoft Console. However right now it is a Rust and Halo Machine. I am a huge fan of RPG's and story driven games. Whats my first treat coming from these new studio acquisitions. Starfield?
Redfall likely first and then Starfield. But play Psychonauts 2 it has a wonderful story.

Top Bottom