• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox passed on deal to make Marvel games to focus on their own IP - Head of Marvel Games

phil_t98

#SonyToo
They killed avengers, and their big names.

Post marvel is kinda shit with no iron man and captain America.
Its like killing batman and superman from DC.

Yeah but none of the games except Spider-Man which is Sony property have been really good. Guardians was ok from what I played and avengers got boring real quick

Xbox ambassadors now:

Frustrated World Cup GIF
Man, I never realized how many of you guys follow gutter tier console warriors on twitter. It's almost scary :messenger_beaming:

anthony2690

Banned
The salt in this thread is already very strong.
Keep it coming boys

netflix antonio GIF
I've played through Myles Morales on PS5, as it came bundled with the console, I've stated numerous times I was pretty unhappy about having it as the game bundled with the console. (As I would've much preferred something like demon souls) I really can't stand console warriors, who come with stupid posts like this.

Marvel wise, I quite like guardians off the galaxy films, but you can also check my post history about the game too, I wasn't a fan and thought the combat was absolutely awful.

DC I quite like Batman and that's it.

Super heroes just genuinely don't do much for me.

you're also more than welcome to check my PSN too, I played through Astros playroom what I loved, and I forced myself through Myles Morales what I didn't like too much, that being said I did since get rid off the PS5 and Switch as I can't keep up with the stuff I want to play on Xbox alone, I don't have the time I once had.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I went back and checked. Insomniac were making an Xbox exclusive (Sunset Overdrive) that came out months after they said no to Marvel. It could easily have been an Xbox game with the same studio. Wow.
And this is a perfect response to the posts about good, focus on original IP.

Its not like Insomniac and MS didn't, MS coulda also had Spider-Man with the same studio.

But....would MS had picked Insomniac is the question.....

Again, hind sight and all..but cot dayum...

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
You guys are really trying hard to spin the blame on Microsoft that Spiderman is exclusive. Sounds like more Marvels fault.

Who said it was anyone's "fault"?

Good. Now Sony need to ditch the kiddie superhero shit too. I'm sure there's plenty of 5 year olds or people who are mentally 5 years old, who love that shit, but really the games industry should be thriving on new ideas, not licensed kids crap.

images

Yeah but none of the games except Spider-Man which is Sony property have been really good. Guardians was ok from what I played and avengers got boring real quick

It's more so depending on the studio. when you put it in the hands of developers, and a publisher who actually care. you can have an amazing final product, it took rocksteady, and insomniac games to really, and truly understand these characters. to create an essential experience. we've seen what happens when a developer make a bad, batman, iron man, and spider-man game. which is why lots of people wanted rocksteady to tackle superman next.

anthony2690

Banned
It's good for me too for selfish reasons, I have no interest in Marvel, but it's really stupid for business reasons.
I fully agree, it has worked out incredibly well for Sony and Insomniac, it has given Insomniac an absolutely huge fanbase where a lot off Sony fans even say they are Sony's best studio now and that.

That also sadly means that Sony probably won't ever bother reviving sunset overdrive.

kingfey

Banned
Its not about the games. Its about the studios, which are making the game.

Insomniac was a perfect studio for spiderman and now with wolverine. The rest failed, because their model didn't suit the game, or low marketing.

Xbox wouldn't have made a successful spiderman or any marvel games, without a proper studio's working on these ips.

Kokoloko85

I went back and checked. Insomniac were making an Xbox exclusive (Sunset Overdrive) that came out months after they said no to Marvel. It could easily have been an Xbox game with the same studio. Wow.

Phil is a money man. He doesnt have the ability or skills to do this stuff. Buying and paying for stuff doesn't make one a good leader.

Don actually released launch games and exclusives in the first 2 years. Awful lead up though

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I fully agree, it has worked out incredibly well for Sony and Insomniac, it has given Insomniac an absolutely huge fanbase where a lot off Sony fans even say they are Sony's best studio now and that.

That also sadly means that Sony probably won't ever bother reviving sunset overdrive.

That's a good thing for Sony fans SSO sucked and I'm sure any other IPs Insomniac does will be more successful and enjoyable for PS gamers.

BeardGawd

Banned
What an utterly IDIOTIC move.

Just goes to show how poorly managed Xbox publishing is.

Insomniac literally used the engine MS paid to develop with Sunset Overdrive and made a huge exclusive with Sony.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Good. Now Sony need to ditch the kiddie superhero shit too. I'm sure there's plenty of 5 year olds or people who are mentally 5 years old, who love that shit, but really the games industry should be thriving on new ideas, not licensed kids crap.

Yeah there gonna ditch 20+million sales because its kiddie stuff? You know theres loads of people who think video games in general are kiddie stuff…

The industry is making new ip’s. Bloodborne, Returnal, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon, Detroit, Days Gone, HellBlade, Nioh, Last Guardian and much more were new ideas.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned

Its not like Insomniac and MS didn't, MS coulda also had Spider-Man with the same studio.

I doubt Xbox could of done Spider-Man since Sony owns it. They probably could of done wolverine like sony is doing now though.

Dick Jones

Gold Member

I honestly think they could.

three things to look at

1. Whatever you want to say about Spider-Man, that character is the most valuable of all superheroes including DC. Sony or MS would pick Spider-Man first out of Marvel's library.

2. Microsoft may have looked at their first party studios but they were contracting out to devs and looking at the studios internally (accepting MS decision that they genuinely didn't have a match to dev a Marvel game) and externally, Insomniac is #1 of their outside contractors for big open world games.

3. At the time in 2014, Xbox 360 was the winner of the last gen at that time, and they did compete well initially with the Xbone that if Sony and MS both asked for Spider-Man then MS could have been given first refusal.

if the wolverine game by insomniac ends up being a hit then i am sure more marvel IPs will be looked upon by sony.
overall a great decision by mark cerny and co for this spidey deal on playstation

I don't know if he was joking or not. but the voice actor Yuri lowenthal had been asking, or atleast begging insomniac games to do a moon knight game.

Corndog

Banned
They actually don't own the IP, they own the movie rights to Spider-Man but they were able to publish a Spider-Man game for PlayStation because Marvel licensed it to them. And that license got extended after the first game's success for Spider-Man 2 on PS5.
You maybe correct but it is still a murky area. It could of caused a lawsuit. Better to steer clear and do a different property.
Ultimately they chose neither.

MadPanda

Banned
I'm sure Microsoft would accept it now, but at the time their first party studios was so barren that I don't know who could even make any marvel games? Turn 10 is forza, 343i is halo and the coalition is gears. At the time they also had lionhead which was Fable, enable which was rts games and some smaller studios I think. Man, their situation was so dire, I'm not sure how they came to 50-60 millions of xbox one consoles. What's even more strange is that at the time they paid 2.4 billions for minecraft but passed on marvel games. I do think that original IP is better than licenced games, but they had neither so it was a bad decision.

Kokoloko85

3. At the time in 2014, Xbox 360 was the winner of the last gen at that time, and they did compete well initially with the Xbone that if Sony and MS both asked for Spider-Man then MS could have been given first refusal.

I think PS3 sold more overall by 2014. With a year less on the market too

Topher

Gold Member
I remember it was specifically when SQ announced that spiderman was coming to Avengers game only on Sony platforms. This triggered the discussion about the sort of contract between Sony and marvel/Disney

No one knows what kind of deal is in place between Marvel and Sony with regards to Spider-man. I'll say it again, the fact that the game became a PS exclusive not extremely long after Marvel and Sony made a deal for Spider-man to be in the MCU is one hell of a coincidence.

Idk, I found the characters and story to be very Disney-like. They even changed PP to look more like Tom Holland.

I don't think that has anything to do with Disney. Told Holland was under contract with Sony.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Idk, I found the characters and story to be very Disney-like. They even changed PP to look more like Tom Holland.

Its pretty decent. Better than alot of the other games and movies.
Supposedly Spiderman 2 will be darker.
Id personally like some new combat mechanics, even though it was much better than the last Batman games combat, id like them to take the spiderman notch up to 10, like the cartoons.

Last edited:
That's a good thing for Sony fans SSO sucked and I'm sure any other IPs Insomniac does will be more successful and enjoyable for PS gamers.

I’m a hardcore Insomniac fan. I’ll admit that compared to what they usually do SSO wasn’t exactly their highest point just like Fuse was kind of a disaster for them. I’m happy that Insomniac is doing much better now since I really do enjoy Ratchet and their Marvel games. On the other hand it sucks that those games are not available on every platform,

Wohc

Banned
Spiderman prints money, if Microsoft really passed on Spiderman they are not very long-sighted and shame on them that i have to wait longer for the pc version. If they were only offered the other superheros i can understand it. Of course you could also let another superhero beat up villains like Batman, but nobody comes even close to Spidermans's popularity. Guardians of the Galaxy for example is as good as Spiderman, but even if it had better marketing it couldn't stand a chance against Spiderman.

Last edited:

Need to play the game again but it still seems like a top notch Insomniac game to me. Not anything like those poor quality Marvel games. I can’t hate Insomniac for making a good game.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Need to play the game again but it still seems like a top notch Insomniac game to me. Not anything like those poor quality Marvel games. I can’t hate Insomniac for making a good game.
Gameplay was good, just didn't like the story and cinematics.

Top Bottom