• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox players need to realize that JRPG developers (and by extension, the rest of japan) do NOT care about Xbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

93xfan

Banned
The Xbox gaijin dudebros are actively hostile toward JRPGs. They’ll stop at nothing to see this genre go extinct.

The green rats made their bed, now they can lie in it.
Who? Some people on a forum? What a silly comment.

I understand nothing of what the OP is talking about. I’d love to have FF1-6, Chrono Trigger and other classics on an ecosystem like the Xbox’s

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
only way to truly become the world's biggest weeb is to live in the country you obsess over
assuming this isnt a joke post i hope you find a great life in japan when you go there someday, not too hyped over the country myself
Thanks bro. My plan is to start learning Japanese in the near future, as well as go on a diet and lose ~80 lbs or so. Don’t want to feel self conscious at the soap land.

Also started watching some YouTube videos about making video games. Hoping I might be able to land a job as a game director. We’ll see!!

Three

Who? Some people on a forum? What a silly comment.

I understand nothing of what the OP is talking about. I’d love to have FF1-6, Chrono Trigger and other classics on an ecosystem like the Xbox’s
Ironically I think the " people on a forum" that are xbox users and care about these type of Japanese games as a percentage far outweigh xbox users who give a shit about Japanese games and never visit a forum like this. So when even on the forum people are making comments like that and other users thumbs upping it imagine what it's like in the real world where people couldn't care less.

Stuart360

This reminds me of those acount suicide threads, just without the suicide part. I mean what a random rant.:messenger_tears_of_joy:
Any chance of Gold accounts being handed out?

200w.gif

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I would guess there is a higher % of multi console owners per households now than ever before. People play what fits per console; with I guess the Switch being the perfect addon to an Xbox. Between PC, Xbox, PS5 and Xbox, I am sure most would own more than one. Or at least that's how it feels around my gaming circles. How many of these JRPS are being locked down by Sony with contracts?

Beechos

Please lets not act like any of these companies are apart of your fantasy fanboy war. They all about making money, the cost versus pontetial sales/risk is not worth it for them to bring to xbox.

The Xbox Series X/S have sold a combined total of over 200k sales in Japan.
The PlayStation 5 in comparison has sold 1.6 million, and the Nintendo Switch unsurprisingly comes in at a whopping 24 million across all 3 units available.
The Xbox hasn't even sold a quarter of how much the PlayStation sold and hasn't even sold 1/100th of how much the Switch has sold.

Now.... tell me, Xbox fanboys. How can it possibly be MONEYHATTING of all things that's preventing games like Octopath Traveler 2 or Disgaea 6/7 to come to Xbox? Do you honestly believe that Sony money hats every single god damn video game on planet earth? You think they have the money to even do that? Why would they even money hat a title as insignificant as Octopath Traveler, where the first game only sold like what, 3 million? Why do you think Japanese developers only bother when the prospect of Game Pass comes up? It's because XBOX PLAYERS DO NOT GIVE A FLYING FUCK ABOUT JRPGs. They almost ALWAYS sell like shit on the platform. What's the point of 'maximizing sales' when the money spent creating the port would eclipse the actual return you get in sales? If you want Japanese games, buy the god damn Japanese consoles.

And it's all because 'Xbox isn't popular in Japan' Well no duh, but they had something good going with the 360 where they were able to consistently get Japanese developers to put games on their platform. Also, Apple's managed to easily make the iPhone the most popular god damn device in Japan, and Microsoft have clearly made a popular Japanese product in the past (Windows) so if after 20 years they still haven't found a way to make Xbox at the very least as popular as PlayStation in Japan... that's on them. Phil needs to take some notes from Apple and learn to make a product the Japanese like. Only then, will Xbox become more than an afterthought for companies like Square Enix and Nippon Ichi Software. Even then, I highly doubt that's going to fix the clear lack of interest towards JRPGs on the Xbox side. You're just gonna have to find a way to get your Xbox friends interested in Octopath (it'll be a cold day in hell before that happens.... lol)
Switch dominates PS5 sales. That's where the JRPGs go.

Ehh, I enjoy the odd JRPG, that's why I also own a Switch. By OP's logic it would be business suicide to cut out the 24 million Switches in Japan.

Beechos

On a side note though ive been playing jrpgs since the original dragon warrior on nes. Pretty much played and beat every snes/genesis jrpg and jrpg quality has really gone downhill. Ps2 was prob the last good era of jrpgs.

Its amazing to think of the snes/genesis era for jrpg. You got the final fantasies, dragon warriors/quest, lufias, secret of mana, phantasy stars, shining series, mario rpg, earthbound, chrono trigger, lunar, ys, actraiser, breath of fire, bahamut lagoon, tales, saga series all those were bangers not even counting the strategy rpgs like the tactics series/front mission and more obscure ones i cant think of off the top of my head. I cant even name a memorable rpg in recent memory. How far we have fallen.

I guess the south park rpgs were memorable even though theyre prob not jrpg but i would say they have more in common with them than wrpgs.

Last edited:
And they are better, by a mile. I'm not in to JRPG's at all BUT i would def give them a chance if we got a few more open world, real time combat, JRPG's.
I play a few. persona is one of my favorite games, Like a dragon was superb, and currently playing soul hackers. But my point about WRPG being ahead of those games dont change. One of my issues with Arise was how outdated it feels and thats a JRPG problem in general. The games feel like they are still made with 2008 design philosophy in mind and I would love to see it evolve both design wise and graphically. I sound like a JRPG hate in my post but more of a JRPG fan who feels like its lagging behind. To be fair the audience in japan are primarily mobile so what I'm looking for doesnt matter to them. Need to be mad to be a small scale as possible. I'm not going to get a witch 3 scope JRPG and I accept that.

Three

Please lets not act like any of these companies are apart of your fantasy fanboy war. They all about making money, the cost versus pontetial sales/risk is not worth it for them to bring to xbox.
From what I can gather that's the entire point. Acquire Studio have literally never made ANY of their long line of developed games on xbox except WOTW3 and Octopath Traveller which got xbox funding from MS for a gamepass release 3 yrs later. so now when they went back to the complete norm of not developing on xbox for OctoPath 2 it's become some fanboy war nonsense of some evil moneyhat preventing what they seem to think is the norm of JRPG releases on xbox. It was never the norm. It was one of the few exceptions.

Yes, I'm fine thanks for asking. How about you ?
Good thanks, you've just got me wondering why you're laughing hysterically to a question.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sorry, too busy enjoying JRPG on Series X since launch to take this thread seriously.

Yakuza: Like A Dragon
Scarlet Nexus
Soul Hackers 2
Tales of Arise
Octopath Traveler

Just to name a few.

Let me name a few more

Valkyria Chronicles 4
Kingdom Hearts
Final Fantasy (basically all of them, but World of Final Fantasy is probably my personal fav)
Dragon Quest XI
NieR Automata
Blue Dragon
Stranger of Paradise

Edge of Eternity is also pretty cool.

Adding to the above, here are some that have been recently announced that are coming to Xbox soon:

Persona 3, 4, 5 Royal
Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes
Crisis Core: Reunion
Tales of Symphonia Remastered
Like a Dragon: Ishin
The Diofield Chronicle
Star Ocean The Divine Force
Sea of Stars
Synduality (Not fully sure if this is a JRPG or not, but this was announced today at State of Play and is coming to Xbox too)

I dunno guys, looks like Xbox fans have a good number and variety of a genre they supposedly don't care about 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
This thread could look even worse in the next few days. Would have been wise to wait and see what happens at TGS with Phil.

Stuart360

From what I can gather that's the entire point. Acquire Studio have literally never made ANY of their long line of developed games on xbox except Octopath Traveller which got xbox funding from MS for a gamepass release 3 yrs later. so now when they went back to the complete norm of not developing on xbox for OctoPath 2 it's become some fanboy war nonsense of some evil moneyhat preventing what they seem to think is the norm of JRPG releases on xbox. It was never the norm. It was one of the few exceptions.
Yep, i mean the first game wasnt even on Playstation. It was obvious that MS paid to get a port, and the game simply didnt do well enough in terms of sales and Gamepass downloads for them to pay for another port.
I dont really get what all the drama is from both sides to be honest. i tried the PC version of the game and didnt make it past an hour lol (just NOT my kind of game, but i wanted to try it).

Matchew

JRPGs have been pretty shit lately. Many fall back on cheap anime look with awful stories that have not evolved since the early 2000s/late 90s. I'm tired of the anime look, fantasy settings, and stories that are nonsense.

Beechos

JRPGs have been pretty shit lately. Many fall back on cheap anime look with awful stories that have not evolved since the early 2000s/late 90s. I'm tired of the anime look, fantasy settings, and stories that are nonsense.
I feel the same way, i dont mind the anime look but i feel like everything has that happy bright anime look from the recent tales games.

For OP to make a lick of sense, they need to show: (1) percentage JRPG unit sales in Japan Vs outside Japan in the last few years; (2) platform breakdown of those sales.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Personally, I'd be quite content if Xbox never got another Japanime game. I can't stand weeb games. The only Japanese game I like is Zelda. But it is too bad for Xbox gamers that really like Japanese games when they don't come to Xbox. But just like if Call of Duty eventually goes exclusive people can buy and Xbox or a gaming PC. People that absolutely want Japanese games should just buy a Switch. They pretty much have most of the Japanese games ever released on their system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom