• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series FPS Boost | New Feature Comparison | Improved FPS on retro games

That transition in Far Cry 4 from Xbox One X to Series X is enough to sell this feature. There are games that work well enough with 30fps, but fast-paced first person shooters are not among them.

Kagey K

Banned
That transition in Far Cry 4 from Xbox One X to Series X is enough to sell this feature. There are games that work well enough with 30fps, but fast-paced first person shooters are not among them.
Framerate is king, but bc games don’t count and by bc I mean the games we already own on our pS4/ XB1

So they don’t count.

B/C is all about 360 games until a game performs better on Series X then it’s B/C on PS5.

I think I covered all the stages now.

Last edited:
When it says it doesn't need a patch from the developers does that mean no patch at all or does it mean it still has a patch but its coming from the BC team? Like if you put a far cry 4 disc in your series X and play it offline with no patches is it gonna run at 30 or 60 fps?

Framerate is king, but bc games don’t count and by bc I mean the games we already own on our pS4/ XB1

So they don’t count.

B/C is all about 360 games until a game performs better on Series X then it’s B/C on PS5.

Hah.

I was also thinking that this is the first time a Far Cry is 60fps on consoles. It's pretty sad that not even Far Cry 5 on One X, PS4 Pro, Series X|S and PS5 does it, but Ubisoft didn't bother putting 60fps even in the Far Cry 3 Remaster. I really like the series but that framerate makes it really hard to go back to it on console.

Kagey K

Banned
Hah.

I was also thinking that this is the first time a Far Cry is 60fps on consoles. It's pretty sad that not even Far Cry 5 on One X, PS4 Pro, Series X|S and PS5 does it, but Ubisoft didn't bother putting 60fps even in the Far Cry 3 Remaster. I really like the series but that framerate makes it really hard to go back to it on console.
Maybe if Sony fans ask hard enough they will sell them Far Cry 3 again with 60 fps.

But then it will be an old game. So they don’t like playing those, or is it a new game so they want to buy it?

I’m confused. 🤪

I can’t keep up anymore.

Last edited:

Mmnow

When it says it doesn't need a patch from the developers does that mean no patch at all or does it mean it still has a patch but its coming from the BC team? Like if you put a far cry 4 disc in your series X and play it offline with no patches is it gonna run at 30 or 60 fps?
There isn't a patch for this specifically, but it has to phone home somehow. I'd be interested in knowing if it still works if you put in the disc and decline updates though.

It requires no intervention from the developers, but you will need to download a patch.

Having said that, downloading has always been the way BC worked on Xbox One and Series X|S. When you insert a disc, you don't play the game natively, but the game recognizes the disc, downloads a digital copy where the license is tied to the disc. It's effectively only DRM, no data is extracted from the disc, everything is done on HDD/SSD. In the specific case, Microsoft dropped a patch for Far Cry 4 that you need to download. If you already had Far Cry 4 installed prior and want to play it offline without the update, you will not be able to access 60fps.

Hope that clears it up!

It requires no intervention from the developers, but you will need to download a patch.

Having said that, downloading has always been the way BC worked on Xbox One and Series X|S. When you insert a disc, you don't play the game natively, but the game recognizes the disc, downloads a digital copy where the license is tied to the disc. It's effectively only DRM, no data is extracted from the disc, everything is done on HDD/SSD. In the specific case, Microsoft dropped a patch for Far Cry 4 that you need to download. If you already had Far Cry 4 installed prior and want to play it offline without the update, you will not be able to access 60fps.

Hope that clears it up!
Isn't that only true for 360 and OG Xbox games? If I put a Xbox One disc in a Series X it can install off the disc right?

the_master

So they don’t count.

What do you mean they don't count? By which count?

Seems to me like now we can play some games at 60fps instead of 30fps.
This is great and somehow counts to making my day better :)

Isn't that only true for 360 and OG Xbox games? If I put a Xbox One disc in a Series X it can install off the disc right?

Right, brain fart. Far Cry 4 is an Xbox One title of course, so you can install from disc normally. Though, as it often happens nowadays, chances are the amount of patches exceeds the actual content on disc by far. I had game installs from disc that were like 2GB from disc and the rest from the store, because they changed, updated, added so damn much.

Top Bottom