• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S and X hits 1m UK sales in strong December | UK Monthly Charts

560,000 games consoles were sold in December in the UK, which generated just short of £200 million, GamesIndustry.biz can reveal.
Switch was the No.1 console of December. Just behind Nintendo was the Xbox Series S and X consoles, which enjoyed a bumper 108% increase in sales month-on-month. In fact, it is the biggest month yet for Xbox Series X and S, even beating its launch month in November 2020. The increase was driven by a significant increase in stock of the X version of the console.
It means PS5 slips to third position this month, but it was still a successful sales period for Sony's platform, which enjoyed a 28% increase in sales compared with November. It was the second biggest month for PS5, and the biggest outside of its launch month.
Software:

sftwaiij46.png

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...uk-sales-in-strong-december-uk-monthly-charts

reksveks

Just to also add cause someone else asked on twitter. It's still behind it seems the Xbox One in the UK, they hit 1m in November 2014.

I think others have commented that Xbox is doing better in its non-core markets (aka not the UK/US) which it does look like its the case.

DJTaurus

Another thread with the usual suspects imagining and making up sales trends when simply everything produced gets sold as it`s been for 12+ months now.

k.
The supply as Spencer said is greater than what was at ps4/Xbox one days. So the excuse some people try to do by pointing out lack of production is pure nonsense. We just have more demand than the PS4/Xbox one days.

Haggard

Banned
The supply as Spencer said is greater than what was at ps4/Xbox one days. So the excuse some people try to do by pointing out lack of production is pure nonsense. We just have more demand than the PS4/Xbox one days.
which changes exactly nothing about what I said......
No Idea who you are actually replying to.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
EE were bundling series S consoles with both new and upgrade phone contracts with over 10gb/mo. data allowances. They must have shifted tons from that promotion alone. Bear in mind EE are the UK's biggest mobile provider with over 26million subscribers.

Last edited:
I see UK after Brexit become again the world superpower, which gets it's own threads with sale. Djibouti sales next pls.

Unfortunately I can't tell sarcastic posts anymore when it comes to brexit. A lot of people have said similar things or worse.

Rivet

Another thread with the usual suspects imagining and making up sales trends when simply everything produced gets sold as it`s been for 12+ months now.

k.

Yes. That's a lot of fanboy cheerleading for nothing. Meanwhile, Gamepass missed its latest annual worldwide subscription growth target, which matters a lot more but may be due to shortages too.

Basically, we won't know anything about sales until the shortages end.

For those wondering what kind of market the UK is...

Although its is considered a 'strong market' for xbox in the UK, the only extremely popular console by MS was the 360. Sony consoles have just dominated every other generation. I barely knew anyone with a xbox one.

I would say the UK market is very flexible though and people could easily change if a manufacturer made it worth there while.... I.e good games, cheap price, good marketing.

Last edited:
Yes. That's a lot of fanboy cheerleading for nothing. Meanwhile, Gamepass missed its latest annual worldwide subscription growth target, which matters a lot more but may be due to shortages too.

How much did they miss their GP growth target by bro?

kingfey

Banned

what does that have to do with this post?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
XSS beating PS5 in UK???....damn isn't UK Playstation strong base

Part of the problem is supply. If PS5 had been available more people would have purchased it. My son and all his friends had a PS5 on their list. I was luckily enough to bag a PS5 for my son, but no so lucky in getting myself a XSX. Been tempted with the S as it's always in stock everywhere, but it would be waste of money because I'd just get an X when it's available.

elliot5

Part of the problem is supply. If PS5 had been available more people would have purchased it. My son and all his friends had a PS5 on their list. I was luckily enough to bag a PS5 for my son, but no so lucky in getting myself a XSX. Been tempted with the S as it's always in stock everywhere, but it would be waste of money because I'd just get an X when it's available.
not a waste if you use it with your son to play together on one subscription shared across X and S

Ozriel

M$FT
So key summary.

Everyone did well. Sales picture continues to be dictated by supply.

Switch is a hell of a goldmine. And it doesn’t show any signs of slowing down.

At this rate, we won’t get a next gen switch until 2024.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
not a waste if you use it with your son to play together on one subscription shared across X and S

My son has no interest in Xbox. He has a PS5, as do the majority of his friends. Those who don't were just unlucky their parents couldn't get one.

The S would be a waste. I'd have pure FOMO knowing that I could be getting better performance from the X, especially in games like Flight Sim and Halo Infinite. I'll hang on. It can't be that long until the X is available.

GHG

Gold Member
I wonder what changed 🤭

Indeed Bernd, indeed. But I'm glad that we can all finally agree that the UK has some degree of significance when it comes to the videogames industry. I'm proud of my homeland.

trick shot basketball GIF

Prepare for butt for a series of posts trying to sell you on something you already decided you don't need. The cult of apple hasn't got shit on these guys.

Patrick S.

Banned
Too bad Xbox is largely irrelevant in Germany, because I'm becoming increasingly more of an Xbox than PlayStation fan, and I sometimes like to buy second hand games, but there are barely any for Xbox.

Banjo64

cumsessed
My son has no interest in Xbox. He has a PS5, as do the majority of his friends. Those who don't were just unlucky their parents couldn't get one.

I do find this really fascinating. I’m UK as well and thought PS5 would be the hot ticket item this year (I’ve had the digital since last year and the kids usually want what I’ve got).

But no. Get this. All the kids in the family (the ones 11 and above) wanted fucking PCs. Like seriously. PCs. The ones who had birthday money etc saved up financially contributed to a gaming PC for their Christmas present. Loads of their mates have PCs and they chat away on discord whilst playing.

I work all day on PCs and just don’t have time for them in my spare time (Stronghold/Crusaders aside).

I think it’s because all of the Youtubers they watch have gaming PCs.

I sound like an old fuck but I just don’t get it.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Beating out the launch month is pretty awesome for Xbox. I was actually surprised at how available they were the Xmas week and could easily be picked up from Amazon and more for a number of hours on multiple days. It’s obvious that they shipped tons of inventory.

hopefully MS can repeat this in the coming months because supply of the series x in the uk had been dire all year.

kingfey

Banned
Too bad Xbox is largely irrelevant in Germany, because I'm becoming increasingly more of an Xbox than PlayStation fan, and I sometimes like to buy second hand games, but there are barely any for Xbox.
You can, but you need to embrace digital mode. Once you do it, you can buy your games from 3rd party online. very cheap, than the console store.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I do find this really fascinating. I’m UK as well and thought PS5 would be the hot ticket item this year (I’ve had the digital since last year and the kids usually want what I’ve got).

But no. Get this. All the kids in the family (the ones 11 and above) wanted fucking PCs. Like seriously. PCs. The ones who had birthday money etc saved up financially contributed to a gaming PC for their Christmas present. Loads of their mates have PCs and they chat away on discord whilst playing.

I work all day on PCs and just don’t have time for them in my spare time (Stronghold/Crusaders aside).

this so much. Kids don’t care about consoles anymore. My daughter is 9 years old and I grabbed her a series S with our shared gamepass account on which she is using but she would have much preferred a pc or laptop to play games like roblox etc.

it’s just the way it is, if they arent playing on pcs (my daughter uses mine) they are watching YouTubers play pcs.
microsoft genuinely had a great idea in supporting pc early and it looks like Sony knows how important it is now.

At this rate, we won’t get a next gen switch until 2024.
I'm fine with that. I'd rather not watch a system get released and stress out trying to even get it. 2024 when the chips are available, and the system will probably be better off anyway. They have enough money to have everyone take a vacation for 2023 if they wanted.

xHunter

PC market has grown a lot. Its pretty much all platforms combined + extras. I probably wouldnt own a console anymore if it wasnt for the Fifa community being so dominant on Playstation.

kingfey

Banned
PC market has grown a lot. Its pretty much all platforms combined + extras. I probably wouldnt own a console anymore if it wasnt for the Fifa community being so dominant on Playstation.
PC have more free games, compared to consoles.

Most played pc games, are those old games, which have long time support.

reksveks

Just to add some estimates*
  • XB1 (2013+2014) = 1470k
  • XS (end of 2021) = 1000k
  • PS4 (2013+2014) = 1840k
  • PS5 (1000k+ Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec sales (Total Console sales in those months was 1,430.7K)) = ???

Patrick S.

Banned
You can, but you need to embrace digital mode. Once you do it, you can buy your games from 3rd party online. very cheap, than the console store.
Yeah, I kinda had forgotten that Xbox keys are still being sold on keysites, since Sony banned that a long time ago. I just picked up a Battlefield 1 Revolution & Battlefield 1943 bundle key for like €6 :)

Edit: No, it was even less haha.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Just on PC - I got him a pre-build as they are priced much more competitively now due to the prices of GPUs sold individually.

He had a 1080p 144hz monitor already so I got him a decent 1080p beast - I can’t lie seeing him run games on max settings with high framerates, they do shit all over console graphics wise.

elliot5

this so much. Kids don’t care about consoles anymore. My daughter is 9 years old and I grabbed her a series S with our shared gamepass account on which she is using but she would have much preferred a pc or laptop to play games like roblox etc.

it’s just the way it is, if they arent playing on pcs (my daughter uses mine) they are watching YouTubers play pcs.
microsoft genuinely had a great idea in supporting pc early and it looks like Sony knows how important it is now.
You know roblox is on xbox too right

anthony2690

Banned
Great month for Xbox, I expected a solid performance, due to how frequently the consoles came into stock throughout December.
You would think everyone owns a switch by now, but they are selling like crazy still.
Still think these UK sales posts are pointless though, especially with how the conversation goes each time, it adds nothing off value.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You know roblox is on xbox too right

it is, that’s one of the reasons I picked up the series s for the spare room, to try and get her off the pc. Unfortunately, I don’t believe it allows any form of communication on the Xbox. She has some friends on the street that she plays with and they text chat Etc on the pc version.

I wish it was like the pc version as then she would use it more, does it allow keyboard and mouse?

Top Bottom