• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X are are at least 50/50 in terms of install base in major territories

MonarchJT

Banned
i can talk for Italy...the xsx is very rare to find in stock the shops receive very few we are almost 1/10 of the PS5 disc version (the PS5 Digital I have hardly ever seen), usually are allocated around 15 ps5 per month, 2 xsx and 4 xss. (I'm talking about shops with 1500+ m2). It is probably more complicated for Microsoft to build two models with such different Apu and above all they also had to use the x series to update Xcloud

Alx

I haven't jumped in the next gen yet, but when I will it will probably be with a Series S. Considering the specs of my TV(s), the kinds of games I play and the budget I allocate to gaming, it seems like the better choice for me.
SeriesX and PS5 will probably be "premium" for at least 2 more years, so it's find to have access to a regular alternative.

Rykan

This shows that Microsoft has massively underproduced the Series X and, considering that the Series S is widely available and easy to obtain in many major regions, overproduced the Series S. This also explains why there already is such a large gap in sales between PS5 and the Xbox Series consoles: Both PS5 models and the XSX are sold out due to to high demand, but the Series S is sitting on shelves.

Had Microsoft allocated those resources to the XSX instead, that gap would have been much smaller if not entirely bridged.

Also people saying that this "Proves that XSS will outsell the XSX" are memeworthy. Even in an ideal situation for the Series S where Xbox Series X is sold out and people are picking up the Series S because they can't find a series X, the Series S is only able to match the Series X in some regions.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

You can buy the Series S today, the Series X is much, much harder to find. Hopefully they'll be able to increase the supply of the big brother soon.

reksveks

This shows that Microsoft has massively underproduced the Series X and, considering that the Series S is widely available and easy to obtain in many major regions, overproduced the Series S. This also explains why there already is such a large gap in sales between PS5 and the Xbox Series consoles: Both PS5 models and the XSX are sold out due to to high demand, but the Series S is sitting on shelves.

Had Microsoft allocated those resources to the XSX instead, that gap would have been much smaller if not entirely bridged
As others have mentioned, 4m less series s wouldn't have meant 4 more series x. The simple fact that more series s apu can be made from a single wafer means that its easier to make series s.

Microsoft does seriously need to up production of series X's though.

I don't why I am currently interested in Google trends but I am. I need to see if it actually means anything but if it does.
Blue is series x, red is series s and this is for people searching xbox series x/s

Mexico
Cc9nSeu.jpg

WW
60vxv9D.jpg

US
uM01aRY.jpg

For the people in India, I am interested to know the main search engine. Google trends looks like it seriously lacks data points within India. Its very noisy graphs.

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
I bought the S because I couldn’t find an X. Despite that, it’s a great console and when bundled with gamepass, an amazing value. Halo and Forza look awesome. I’m positive this will hold me over for a few years until a Series X Pro gets announced. Hopefully chip/supply issues will be resolved by then.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned

Had Microsoft allocated those resources to the XSX instead, that gap would have been much smaller if not entirely bridged.

Also people saying that this "Proves that XSS will outsell the XSX" are memeworthy. Even in an ideal situation for the Series S where Xbox Series X is sold out and people are picking up the Series S because they can't find a series X, the Series S is only able to match the Series X in some regions.

They didn't start Manufacturing until sometime in August if I remember. Which is way too late.

Just shows you who was prepared and also who cares more about console sales. I guess GAMEPASS must be killing it on previous XBox consoles and PC right?

nush

Gold Member
I think the Series S has a place, i know a few people who got one as a "family" console along with a gamepass sub..

My prediction of the long game (that I've already said before at XSS launch) is that the Series S is being primed for a set-top box given away "free/heavily subsidized" with a paid subscription to Gamepass once they can cost down the box and bundle some other streaming services with it.

My prediction of the long game (that I've already said before at XSS launch) is that the Series S is being primed for a set-top box given away "free/heavily subsidized" with a paid subscription to Gamepass once they can cost down the box and bundle some other streaming services with it.
Xmas deal: pay 250 bucks and play Forza 5 and the new Halo for free. 300+ other games included.

It almost sounds like a decent deal.

Mr Moose

At 3x the cost, yeah.
It's for the kids in the back of the car on a long journey. I worked for a company that made those portable console screens way back in the day, made a lot of money off them, super popular but not aimed at core gamers.
Yeah the screen things are cool, I think they used to make things like that for the PSOne, it's just the "No, just us??" part of the tweet.

The only SXs that we can buy around here are being sold by scalpers for double the price or even more. While the SS are readily available in any store.

Nope. The decision was basically "do you want to sell 6m XSX and 0 XSS or do you want to sell 4m XSX and 4m XSS?". Why would Microsoft ever go for the first option?

nush

Gold Member
Yeah the screen things are cool, I think they used to make things like that for the PSOne, it's just the "No, just us??" part of the tweet.

Kickstarter project that thinks they have invented the wheel, but as they only asked for 13K ASD they must have been backed by someone to get the product to market.

Availability does not equal a lack of sales, otherwise you'd automatically say switch doesn't sell.
Yes availability effects sales, if you can't find one you can't buy one. You can find S's fairly easily if you want one thus it is selling.

These sales threads mean nothing to me besides showing what MS and Sony can produce through channels. Until both are on the shelves full time we don't know what the real demand is besides they sell everything they can make.

reksveks

Kickstarter project that thinks they have invented the wheel, but as they only asked for 13K ASD they must have been backed by someone to get the product to market.
I wouldnt be surprised if the backers required proof of demand via something like kickstarter.

Chukhopops

fantastic, devs will prioritize on Series S then.
Good bye to next gen gaming.
All MS games will be on PC and will need to support a wide range of configs including older/weaker ones than the SS. Forza Horizon 5 min spec is a GTX970, a card from 2014. And yet the game looks next-gen according to most reviews.

There’s too much nonsense to address all of it but how do you know the SS and SX are equally easy to source in terms of components? Unless you have anything to back it then you’re just guessing.

If it was the case that both are equally easy to produce then you’d think MS would have readjusted the production in the whole year that happened since launch.

Generally speaking it’s amazing to see the usual suspects rewriting their narrative in real time from « it sells 0, worse than the Ouya, least desirable etc » to « well ok it sells but only because people can’t find the Series X », still no proof of that but that’s progress I suppose.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Only places the series s is “ widely available “ is maybe the UK? And other random countries. Or you are just lying.

it has not been readily available in the us the only real country that matters..

giphy.webp

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Only places the series s is “ widget available “ is maybe the UK? And other random countries. Or you are just lying.

it has not been readily available in the us the only real country that matters..

giphy.webp
You can get them on the Xbox All Access thing online with same day delivery, some stores have them in-store (target has them, apparently).

reksveks

All MS games will be on PC and will need to support a wide range of configs including older/weaker ones than the SS. Forza Horizon 5 min spec is a GTX970, a card from 2014. And yet the game looks next-gen according to most reviews
The fact that some of these users forget that xbox and almost all third party devs generally supports pc that are alot less powerful than the s would be worrisome if their motives weren't transparent

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
You can get them on the Xbox All Access thing online with same day delivery, some stores have them in-store (target has them, apparently).
Not at target.. they only do local and do not ship unless local for these consoles.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
I bought the S as a solid companion to the PS5, allows me to play all the BCC games I want from the OG Xbox and 360 era, as well as experiencing certain new Xbox exclusives day one via Gamepass.

It's small size, light weight and whisper quiet fans make it a unit I can easily fit in anywhere around the house, office and even travelling.

NickFire

How is this possible???.... They said it was horrible and that even in a pandemic it had no chance.......lol
Your recollection is much different than mine. My recollection is most people saying the S would eventually outsell the X because of the price.

Kokoloko85

The Series S is in stock and the Series X not so much, thats probably why its sold close or more than the Series X. Otherwise the Series X will sell more.

There are some delusional people in here think its because MS want the series S to sell more due to Cloud gaming and gamepass etc are dumb.
Its not a stroke of genius or anything like that lol. And some casuals probably didnt even know the difference.

Personally if I missed out on the Series X, I would get a series S. But if the X is available most hardcore fans arent gonna get the S for any other reason than being a secondary console

NickFire

The Series S is in stock and the Series X not so much, thats probably why its sold close or more than the Series X. Otherwise the Series X will sell more.

There are some delusional people in here think its because MS want the series S to sell more due to Cloud gaming and gamepass etc are dumb.
Its not a stroke of genius or anything like that lol. And some casuals probably didnt even know the difference.

Personally if I missed out on the Series X, I would get a series S. But if the X is available most hardcore fans arent gonna get the S for any other reason than being a secondary console
Are you really in here talking about other people being dumb while suggesting hardcore fans will buy more consoles than casuals?

ethomaz

Banned
XSS SoC is smaller, cheaper, and has better yields. MS is probably happy to get more chips per wafer with XSS, so they can sell more units and get more subs. Sony likely has a superior contract with TSMC and that's why they're able to pump out more consoles.
Neither has contract with TSMC.

They have contract with AMD.
AMD has a contract with TSMC for 150k 7nm wafers for 2021... from these 80% (120k) are allocated to consoles with Sony getting 80k wafers and MS 40k wafers.

AMD sells the chips already produced and tested to Sony/MS... that is why the defectives are used by AMD and not Sony/MS.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Are you really in here talking about other people being dumb while suggesting hardcore fans will buy more consoles than casuals?
I never said hardcore fans are gonna buy more consoles than casuals. I just said hardcore fans will mostly likely get a Series X. Casuals will buy both

reksveks

Neither has contract with TSMC.

They have contract with AMD.
AMD has a contract with TSMC for 150k 7nm wafers for 2021... from these 80% (120k) were allocated to consoles with Sony getting 80k wafers and MS 40k wafers.
Oh that's interesting, you got a link/source? Do we know how many usable APU's are available per wafer?

NickFire

I never said hardcore fans are gonna buy more consoles than casuals. I just said hardcore fans will mostly likely get a Series X. Casuals will buy both
But you suggested the X would outsell the S. Once these things are routinely available, casuals will most likely get an S though. Even MS expects that. Which is why I felt you were implying casuals will prefer the more expensive version.

ethomaz

Banned
Oh that's interesting, you got a link/source? Do we know how many usable APU's are available per wafer?
The AMD contract with TSMC for 2021 were defined in Q4 last year (probably AMD is in talk with TSMC right now to the amount for 2022).

How many APUs come from a wafer is simple to math the issue is that the numbers of the defectives is unknow.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Until we truly have a next gen game, people will keep buying the series S.
I'm not sure what the definition of "truly next gen" is, but even when those games happen people will still use Series S because it's still going to play those truly next gen games because that's what it was designed to do. It will just do it at lower settings not unlike how many people who will play it on PC will experience those games. Especially if they are still using 1080p TV's, like many are.

ethomaz

Banned
cheers, might have to folllow that account.
BTW your others question.

300mm (12in) wafer can fit around:

- 229 308mm2 APUs (PS5).
- 197 360mm2 APUs (Series X).
- 358 197mm2 APUs (Series S).

Of course that doesn't account defectives.

In PS5 case is easier to reach a number... imagine from 229 you have 200 good (29 defectives)... 80k wafers give you 16 million APUs in 2021 (that fits the current Sony Forecast).
For MS is trick because we don't know how many of 40k wafers are being used to Series X or Series S.

Last edited:
Series S backordered at Amazon.co.uk
Even if the Series S is readily available in the EU right now, there will be stock shortages this holiday for the Series S in Europe.
The Series X will continue to sell out instantly.

Last year at this time, the Xbox One, got it second price drop.

oXBCwL8.png

BTW your others question.

150mm wafer can fit around:

- 229 308mm2 APUs (PS5).
- 197 360mm2 APUs (Series X).
- 358 197mm2 APUs (Series S).

Of course that doesn't account defectives.
Plus we don't know how many from the 40k wafers are being used to Series X or Series S.

150mm wafer? Those are not used for the console chips.
It's 300mm wafer.

Probably a typo.

The AMD contract with TSMC for 2021 were defined in Q4 last year (probably AMD is in talk with TSMC right now to the amount for 2022).

How many APUs come from a wafer is simple to math the issue is that the numbers of the defectives is unknow.

I looked at the article and those numbers are no where to be seen btw. So I don't know how he arrives at these numbers.

Top Bottom