• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S is Suffering from VRAM Limitations, Just Like 8GB GPUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member
090123.jpg

It looks like the Xbox Series S is facing serious memory allocation issues in Borderlands 3, at least according to Reddit user u/jokekiller94 — who posted a screenshot of the game crashing on their Series S console with an "out of memory" error on the screen.

The issue isn't limited to the original poster — Reddit user u/bacon_sammer responded in the thread, saying they have the same issue with Borderlands 3 crashing frequently on their Xbox Series S. They said the game runs fine on the Xbox Series X, however, so the it seems to be a Series S issue.

Sadly, this type of memory allocation issue is not uncommon for Microsoft's little console. According to reports from Digital Foundry and The Verge, the Series S' small memory capacity is a headache for developers to optimize around. It is the single biggest contributing factor to the console's lower graphical settings and lack of ray-tracing effects on Series S ports, and it bottlenecks the console's already weak 4 Teraflop (PS4 Pro level) GPU.

Apparently, complaints among developers regarding the Series S' memory became so extreme that Microsoft released a dev kit in June 2022 that gave developers more manipulation over the Series S' memory system.

This happened on the Series X with Midnight Suns with the comic cover bug, and randomly in Mount and Blade 2 and it likely happens in other games through bugs as well, it’s not a Series S only occurrence.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
A big deal was made about this at launch too and it was specifically for Borderland’s 3 then too. Not sure why it’s tearing its head again now.

DaGwaphics

LOL at a software bug (probably some kind of memory leak) being blamed on a static piece of hardware. Especially with a game that released on PS4. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

The error message itself is a bit funny though, obviously some generic DX errors are used rather than console specific messages.

Why would an Xbox send a crash report to Sony?
Think he just means in this case that Xbox is telling you what went wrong, while Sony would give you a vague error code and a form to report it.

Kinda bullshit though since virtually any other way a game crashes on Xbox it just dumps you right back to the main menu with no message or error code.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Think he just means in this case that Xbox is telling you what went wrong, while Sony would give you a vague error code and a form to report it.

Kinda bullshit though since virtually any other way a game crashes on Xbox it just dumps you right back to the main menu with no message or error code.

Yeah, I know that's what he meant, but that's not what he wrote. 🙂

GHG

Gold Member
o'dium - Enjoys long walks in the park and burning shell of PS5 with a lighter.

Fucking hell, he was the one that also took a lighter to his PS5?

It's shocking (but maybe a little unsurprising) that he has a defense force.

Mr Moose

Fucking hell, he was the one that also took a lighter to his PS5?

It's shocking (but maybe a little unsurprising) that he has a defense force.

Might've been someone else who burned theirs but the idiot posted this and talked about how badly designed it is (and was due to heat lol).

Last edited:

akbennyewu

Neo Member
BL3 would crash my xbox 1, my 1x and most recently my series x. When I say crash, I wish it was limited to the memory warning issue (I have gotten that in Minecraft Dungeons too oddly enough), but that vast majority of the crashes I experienced were actually complete hardware shutdowns, and power ups would demonstrate an overheating warning (all three of my xbox consoles have shown this message, even the series x).

The problem is not a series s issue, it might very well be an xbox ecosystem poor optimization issue, but has nothing to do with a specific model of the series.

The same problem occurs on Tiny Tina as well.

My takeaways were, no more gearbox games on xbox consoles.

damidu

it’s both dev and box issue.
when they actually optimize for s, you are still ending up with cut features, cut performance modes and shit graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom