• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X 12 TFLOPS GPU Is “The Most Important Upgrade New Consoles Will Have” – Disjunction Developer.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Recently, we spoke with Erwan LeCun, co-founder Ape Tribe Games, developer of the upcoming cyberpunk stealth action-RPG Disjunction, and LeCun had quite a lot to say about the Xbox Series X and all that’s been revealed about it so far.

In particular, when asked about the console’s 12 teraflops GPU, he called it “the most important upgrade that new consoles will have.”

“This is the most important upgrade that new consoles will have,” said LeCun. “GPUs make the biggest difference in the graphical quality of games, and the GPUs in next-gen consoles are significantly more powerful than current-gen ones. For AAA games, graphics will continue to improve.”

LeCun, however, was much less excited about the console’s greater memory capabilities. When asked about the Xbox Series X’s GDDR6 memory, he said that while it will be great to have, it ultimately “won’t necessarily make a noticeable difference.”

“Memory is memory – more of it is always good, though for a lot of games it won’t necessarily make a noticeable difference,” he said. “Memory has never been the main bottleneck of consoles in terms of performance, but it’s great to get more of it!”

Sota4077

I'm sure these smaller studios will appreciate more of everything to work with, but like always the area where these consoles will shine is when 1st party developers get their hands on them.

Psykodad

Banned
Lol the guy was saying the GPU upgrade will be the most important upgrade for next-gen consoles, not XSX specific GPU being the best of all.

Last edited:

NickFire

Took a look at a video for this upcoming game. In my opinion, based on what I saw it does not appear to be a company that will be taxing either next gen system much with this game. Perhaps for his company GPU will matter the most, but I'm guessing AAA devs will find much more benefit for massive open world / online games from SSD or CPU, probably CPU as console games will continue releasing on PC's that have regular hard drives.

Dory16

Banned

Recently, we spoke with Erwan LeCun, co-founder Ape Tribe Games, developer of the upcoming cyberpunk stealth action-RPG Disjunction, and LeCun had quite a lot to say about the Xbox Series X and all that’s been revealed about it so far.

In particular, when asked about the console’s 12 teraflops GPU, he called it “the most important upgrade that new consoles will have.”

“This is the most important upgrade that new consoles will have,” said LeCun. “GPUs make the biggest difference in the graphical quality of games, and the GPUs in next-gen consoles are significantly more powerful than current-gen ones. For AAA games, graphics will continue to improve.”

LeCun, however, was much less excited about the console’s greater memory capabilities. When asked about the Xbox Series X’s GDDR6 memory, he said that while it will be great to have, it ultimately “won’t necessarily make a noticeable difference.”

“Memory is memory – more of it is always good, though for a lot of games it won’t necessarily make a noticeable difference,” he said. “Memory has never been the main bottleneck of consoles in terms of performance, but it’s great to get more of it!”
But... but... my laptop has 200GB and crashes when I run AutoCAD so the Series X has to be bottlenecked by 16 right?

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
While is doesn't have the 96 GB of RAM some people's MBPs have, it is still an amazing leap forward from this Gens base consoles and even the 1X.

“GPUs make the biggest difference in the graphical quality of games"

So... the Graphical Processing Unit has the biggest effect on graphics.

Shocker.

Thanks for that Captain Bleedin' Obvious.
Eh statements like that need to be said when we have people arguing this and that will bottleneck the system.

Top Bottom