• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X and Dolby Atmos audio delay. Is there no fix?

Read the specs and it can’t passthrough 4k 120fps?

Its an audio extractor, what it does is extract audio from your non earc reciever to your earc tv, too make it simple its an earc converter

You hook your console to your TV, and this device to your earc por of your TV, and in the input of 1 of your recievers, here is the driagram

uo2xPjM.jpg

Reallink

Setting LG OLED's eARC setting to "Pass Through" alleviates 90% of the lag, to the point most people would never notice it and it's perfectly playable. At least with Denon AVR's, can't speak to other AVR brands or soundbars.

Dolby is at fault all right, I spent all that money on ceiling speakers, Crawled through my attic running wires, bought the fancy schmancy receiver and what did I get? A wife that tells me she Can't hear any difference.

Not just your wife, most Atmos content is mixed horribly and puts very little content in the height channels (if any at all). Many movies barely even use the standard surround channels.

Last edited:
I have an LG CX and just the eARC to pass through to my Denom Amp. The only time I get issues is when I switch my App on after I start playing the XBox.

Allandor

It's the TV that adds the delay not the box itself.
I also connected my atmos system (samsung hw-q950a) to the xbox and than to the tv. Problem is, my TV (sony xh-9005h) doesn't support the atmos signal, even if it should pass it through to the soundbar via earc the TV is not capable. As far as I understood, the TV always decodes and reencodes the signal an therefor the support for dolby atmos is just missing. I really don't know why the TV does that as it should just pass through the signal but well ... sony ... (i surely will never again buy a sony TV after all that VRR and 120Hz shit they made up, ... just getting an LG (with the same panel) would have been much better).
So I can select between 120Hz mode or Dolby atmos. As I really don't need 120 Hz (games just look to bad IMHO in 120Hz mode ... even as the TV is not capable to use that 4k120Hz signal without image degradation ... (again thx to sony who didn't add a capable enough processor to the TV and did just add checklist-features)) I therefore accept that issue and instead have a great sound experience without any added lag (and at least working VRR).

I used to have a similar issue with Dolby output when I used a One S as a UHD player on my previous TV, the audio had a noticeable delay which the brain would somewhat get used to during the course of a film. Had it connected to the TV with HDMI and the audio passed through via optical to a receiver for DD5.1. Curiously the issue disappeared once I replaced the One S with an actual UHD player. Maybe it just doesn't like certain setups.

Stafford

It just fucking sucks that we can't just go buy any kind of soundbar and expect it to work. It seems several people with Sonos have no issue, but what if one buys a Samsung or Sony soundbar? Very frustrating.

What I wonder is, are there issues with Dolby Digital too?

ManaByte

It's the TV that adds the delay not the box itself.
I also connected my atmos system (samsung hw-q950a) to the xbox and than to the tv. Problem is, my TV (sony xh-9005h) doesn't support the atmos signal, even if it should pass it through to the soundbar via earc the TV is not capable. As far as I understood, the TV always decodes and reencodes the signal an therefor the support for dolby atmos is just missing. I really don't know why the TV does that as it should just pass through the signal but well ... sony ... (i surely will never again buy a sony TV after all that VRR and 120Hz shit they made up, ... just getting an LG (with the same panel) would have been much better).
So I can select between 120Hz mode or Dolby atmos. As I really don't need 120 Hz (games just look to bad IMHO in 120Hz mode ... even as the TV is not capable to use that 4k120Hz signal without image degradation ... (again thx to sony who didn't add a capable enough processor to the TV and did just add checklist-features)) I therefore accept that issue and instead have a great sound experience without any added lag (and at least working VRR).
I have an X90J and have the XSX hooked up to one of the 2.1 ports and have Atmos with no delay (through eARC with pass through turned on) with 120hz and VRR.

Observadorpt

Neo Member
Hi

I Have buyed an samsung QN95A and with xbox series x have delay in atmos and dolby digital, i have return it and buyed an LG C1 now it seems that the delay is gone.

Kilau

Gold Member
Seems like most newer HDMI features break at some level, at least partially regardless of what they say is supported.

The specs should just read:

Well Yes But Actually No GIF by walter_

Stafford

We're talking about audio delay here, but has anyone had an issue using sonos arc where there's a loud pop and then audio loss while playing dolby atmos content on Xbox?

This is apparently a well known issue that sonos has no answer on how to fix

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-arc-loud-pop-then-audio-loss-6852340

I ended up having to turn off atmos on Xbox which is kind of annoying even though there isn't much atmos content.

Never heard my brother mention this and he has Sonos Arc with XSX. Man, all these issues. I kinda just want to stick with the TV audio and just not buy anything.

lucius

I just use DTS usually but when Atmos is working right it is better just don't like switching back and forth every other game.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
That’s simulated surround sound. It’s not the same as actual speakers positioned around the room. It’s sounds decent enough to the uninitiated, but it should be be confused with legitimate surround. For that you need an AVR, speakers, and a sub.
There are upwards facing speakers and I have the back speakers, that's not simulated. Even my main Atmos speakers for my home theatre system are dedicated upwards speakers that reflect on the ceiling.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Its an audio extractor, what it does is extract audio from your non earc reciever to your earc tv, too make it simple its an earc converter

You hook your console to your TV, and this device to your earc por of your TV, and in the input of 1 of your recievers, here is the driagram

uo2xPjM.jpg

Can I replace the cat with another device?

Plus with some tv's you're outta luck, Samsung in my case doesn't support DTS.
LG doesn't either.

Stafford

There are upwards facing speakers and I have the back speakers, that's not simulated. Even my main Atmos speakers for my home theatre system are dedicated upwards speakers that reflect on the ceiling.

Which bar do you have?

I demoed the Sonos Arc and Beam gen 2 today in the store. It was only three brief video demos and some music, hard to judge. Strangely enough the Sony soundbars like ZF9 sounded more "spectacular" like cinema sound then Sonos to me.

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Which bar do you have?

I demoed the Sonos Arc and Beam gen 2 today in the store. It was only three brief video demos and some music, hard to judge. Strangely enough the Sony soundbars like ZF9 sounded more "spectacular" like cinema sound then Sonos to me.
Seems link was broken in a previous post. HT-A7000 I have a dedicated home theatre 5.2.2 with a STR-ZA1100ES receiver. I didn't have room for more speakers, which sucks cause I actually had the speakers.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Never heard my brother mention this and he has Sonos Arc with XSX. Man, all these issues. I kinda just want to stick with the TV audio and just not buy anything.
Yeah, I didn't know about it until AFTER I bought the Arc. And then it happened once and I was like wtf. It happened again and I looked it up and discovered it's an ongoing problem with Sonos Atmos devices and the XSX And Apple TV, and maybe other devices.

So like I said, I ended up turning Atmos off on the Xbox but I can still use Atmos through my Nvidia Shield. Not 100% ideal, but the Arc is really freaking good otherwise. So I'm keeping it.

Stafford

Seems link was broken in a previous post. HT-A7000 I have a dedicated home theatre 5.2.2 with a STR-ZA1100ES receiver. I didn't have room for more speakers, which sucks cause I actually had the speakers.

[/URL]

Daaaaamn, 1000 for just a soundbar, yeah after that S95B purchase I can't be doing that, haha.

The Sony ZF9 is 400 bucks or so, but there's the big question mark if I will get that delay nonsense, sigh.

Stafford

Yeah, I didn't know about it until AFTER I bought the Arc. And then it happened once and I was like wtf. It happened again and I looked it up and discovered it's an ongoing problem with Sonos Atmos devices and the XSX And Apple TV, and maybe other devices.

So like I said, I ended up turning Atmos off on the Xbox but I can still use Atmos through my Nvidia Shield. Not 100% ideal, but the Arc is really freaking good otherwise. So I'm keeping it.

Yeah, sucks big time man. It's not like these devices are cheap to begin with, I guess it's asking too much to expect shit to just work. Have you tried returning the Arc, just to be sure? Because there are cases of XSX with Arc that don't have the pop issues. Saw a few on AVS and other forums, and my bro.

TexMex

I feel for you. I’ve had audio delay in every soundbar I’ve ever owned and it takes me fucking forever to fix every time.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Yeah, sucks big time man. It's not like these devices are cheap to begin with, I guess it's asking too much to expect shit to just work. Have you tried returning the Arc, just to be sure? Because there are cases of XSX with Arc that don't have the pop issues. Saw a few on AVS and other forums, and my bro.
No, I haven't tried returning it. I bought it in June so still have a bit of time (90 day return window) so I might go that route, but I read far too many comments on the Sonos support board where people did exchange their Arc and still had the same problem.

Are you certain your brother has Atmos turned on on the Xbox and has played a game that supports Atmos? According to the Xbox website, there are only about 40 games that have Atmos support. It only happened to me with Halo Infinite, which is one of those games.

For what it's worth, this is what tech support told me:

Thank you for contacting Sonos. My name is Emily, and I'm a member of the Customer Experience Team here at Sonos. Our CEO, Patrick Spence, asked me to follow up with you. I understand how frustrating it can be to have issues with your system but we will do our best to help you out with this.

Our engineers are currently working on this; however, we don't have a resolution time frame. The workaround, for now, is to disable Dolby Atmos.

If you have any additional questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with, feel free to reach out by replying to this email and I’ll be happy to help.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Daaaaamn, 1000 for just a soundbar, yeah after that S95B purchase I can't be doing that, haha.

The Sony ZF9 is 400 bucks or so, but there's the big question mark if I will get that delay nonsense, sigh.
That's in CAD$, plus US has cheaper electronics.

Gotcha. I get that a soundbar setup is often needed due to room space limitations, but FYI, the small speakers in a sound bar will never be capable of producing what larger speakers can do. Spending big bucks on a soundbar is usually ill advised compared to buying a 3.1 system that you can add more speakers/subwoofers to down the road.

Stafford

No, I haven't tried returning it. I bought it in June so still have a bit of time (90 day return window) so I might go that route, but I read far too many comments on the Sonos support board where people did exchange their Arc and still had the same problem.

Are you certain your brother has Atmos turned on on the Xbox and has played a game that supports Atmos? According to the Xbox website, there are only about 40 games that have Atmos support. It only happened to me with Halo Infinite, which is one of those games.

For what it's worth, this is what tech support told me:

That I am not sure of, tons of games don't support Atmos but don't you still benefit from better audio anyway regardless of the game not supporting it? So do I understand right that this pop only happens in the actual Atmos supported games? So take RDR2 for example, have Atmos enabled, no pop?

That's in CAD$, plus US has cheaper electronics.

Yeah but I checked here in The Netherlands, about 1000 euros. Lordy lord, haha.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
That I am not sure of, tons of games don't support Atmos but don't you still benefit from better audio anyway regardless of the game not supporting it? So do I understand right that this pop only happens in the actual Atmos supported games? So take RDR2 for example, have Atmos enabled, no pop?
Yes, I believe that's true. I played a few other games without issue, but when I played Halo Infinite it happened twice in an hours span. From what I've read it sounds like it is only an issue with Atmos supported games. I turned off Atmos for fear of damaging the Arc. I suppose I am losing the better audio, but I can live with it. Still frustrating though!

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Gotcha. I get that a soundbar setup is often needed due to room space limitations, but FYI, the small speakers in a sound bar will never be capable of producing what larger speakers can do. Spending big bucks on a soundbar is usually ill advised compared to buying a 3.1 system that you can add more speakers/subwoofers to down the road.
Of course. This is my upper "setup when I drink so I don't ruin my 8K TV and main home theater set-up".

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I actually like that you didn't joke on me on that. People are so asocial and mean these days that I say a big cheers on you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom