• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X And S Start Receiving Dolby Vision Gaming Upgrade

Dibils2k

Dolby vision really won’t be that much of a difference I’ve found, it’s more of a standard of consistency for applying HDR to media. It can look better sometimes but it’s nothing you won’t notice unless you’re switching back and forth between the two.
to me the Dolby Vision Bright mode makes it instantly better, as HDR is pretty dim by design as its supposed to be viewed in a dark room but thats just not my viewing conditions when gaming so i think DV will be a huge advantage for games

Last edited:

AGRacing

Gold Member
just need LG to implement the 4K120 support, was reading recently they are testing it but haven’t confirmed which models it will be rolled out to. they will probably shaft C9 owners like myself and have it for CX and new C1/G1 models even though the C9 can support it.
I'm in your boat. I heard recently on HDTVtest that some LG owners have been changing things (dynamic tone mapping settings?) with root access.

This TV is so popular perhaps once LG is finished updating it (now?) we might get lucky with some clever software modders.

jaysius

Banned
How about you work on having our TV's AUTO DETECT Game Mode, like even my fucking PS3 could do.

Also make the remote control for my tv work over the entire Xbox interface, like the PS3 COULD DO.

There are so many things that I love about the Series X, but god damn 2 or 3 things are so fucking backwards.

Rossco EZ

I'm in your boat. I heard recently on HDTVtest that some LG owners have been changing things (dynamic tone mapping settings?) with root access.

This TV is so popular perhaps once LG is finished updating it (now?) we might get lucky with some clever software modders.
yeah i mean i could be wrong and they could roll it out for us too but i’m not expecting it even though they could as the C9 supports dolby vision and has the full hdmi 2.1, i guess it will be a way to entice us to buy a new tv from them :messenger_grinning_sweat: still happy with the tv anyway even if it doesn’t get it, hate looking at non OLED tvs since i got mine xD

OverHeat

« generous god »
YLz2yqa.jpg

You loss 444 chroma with DV.

Last edited:

Excess

Dolby vision really won’t be that much of a difference I’ve found, it’s more of a standard of consistency for applying HDR to media. It can look better sometimes but it’s nothing you won’t notice unless you’re switching back and forth between the two.
Yeah, it's pretty variable.

If you're a purest like me, who likes to calibrate my own TV's with Calman, HDR10 has never been a preferable standard to work with. It's very difficult to calibrate, and the in-game settings only add more variance to the situation. It's like trying to play Pin The Tail on the Donkey with black crush and specular highlight detail.

xion4360

more to do with how the Xbox handles its signaling, not DV...because it only works at 60htz, its going to use the old TMDS signaling method and not the new 2.1 method which is only used at 4K 120htz

Last edited:

ManaByte

A HDR media profile by Dolby similar to HDR10 that is adopted by many 4K TV vendors like LG and Sony and even the iPhone 12 is now a buzzword by Next Gen Spec Thread posters for the sake of console warring.

It's actually superior to HDR10 so much so that there's now HDR10+ to compete with Dolby Vision.

Movies in Dolby Vision and Atmos are the only way to see them now.

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member
YLz2yqa.jpg

There's going to be little/no perceptible difference for 99%+ of people w/ supported displays, and potential downsides (for now) include higher input lag if your tv doesn't support DV in game mode, slightly worse PQ (I personally don't think 422 chroma much of a difference from 444/RGB when sitting 6+ feet away), and 60hz vs 120hz. I bet most people wouldn't be able to perceive an PQ difference between properly calibrated HGIG and DV implementations.

It's actually superior to HDR10 so much so that there's now HDR10+ to compete with Dolby Vision.

Movies in Dolby Vision and Atmos are the only way to see them now.

Games using DV are not sending metadata dynamically like in film/tv since they can adjust on the fly, so DV on Xbox is essentially marketing for a HDR10 container with a slightly different, still-static tone map.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Not just 4:2:2, it's also 8-bit! Not enough color gamut for true HDR, let alone DV.

I think it's just the message showing 8bit but in reality it's 10bit. I remember there is a bug like that on LG OLEDs.

EDIT: found explanation:
Problem: The TV is reporting that image has 8bit instead of 10/12bit;
Conditions: -;
Cause: When the TV is getting a 4:2:2 HDR signal it is always reported as 8-bit even though it is receiving 12-bit. This is a technical limitation of HDMI. The only way to verify what bit-depth you are getting is to use test patterns. It's the same reason why Dolby Vision is reported as SDR. Because the TV doesn't actually "know" what it is getting.

Last edited:

Wulfer

you can set the series x to 4K 120 htz at 12 bit and you get 12bit 420 (24gbps)..422 should be possible with an update.

Tv manufacturers would also have to update the TV's to make it possible probably by sacrificing something else. even so were out here talking about dolby vision gaming....cant expect to get everything you want.
Good thing MS has a Television partnership with LG then...

soulbait

as a owner of a Sony TV, they dont have a "Game Mode" in Dolby Vision mode... does it mean its gonna be input lag galore!
That really depends on what settings you turn enable while it is not in game mode. Most of Sony's post processing you can disable or minimize. Game mode just basically turns all of the post processing that slows down the TV's image, which causes input lag, by default.

You may lose a few Ms, but if you calibrate the TV and disable most of the uneeded post processing features, you should be able to play in DV without much issues. May not be the best if you are playing twitch shooters competivley, but most games should be okay.

Top Bottom