• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X: Microsoft Appears To Be Facing Limited Supply [Tech4gamers]

https://tech4gamers.com/microsoft-xbox-series-x-supply-problems/
The Xbox Series X serves as Microsoft’s flagship console to provide the best gaming experience from the company yet. With the best gaming hardware and services like Xbox Game Pass, Microsoft hopes to match console rivals like PlayStation and Nintendo.

Despite the goal to take back market share with a powerful console like the Xbox Series X, Xbox may be facing limited supply for the flagship console.

Looking at massive retailers like Amazon and Bestbuy, the console is not readily available. Amazon lists the Xbox Series X for sale, but consumers need to request an invitation for the chance to buy one.

A similar scenario is seen for the PS5 on Amazon, but users can buy Sony’s console through a bundle. Unlike the PS5, no bundle is available for Microsoft’s console on Amazon. Gaming stores like GameStop are also limited to one console in stock and refurbished options for Microsoft’s latest console.

The Xbox Series X is out of stock on Bestbuy, but consumers can still buy it through a $559 bundle. Similarly, the console cannot be found at the $500 MSRP on Newegg, but users have the option to purchase the Xbox Series X for marked-up prices.

Supply shortages could result in Xbox falling further behind the competition. The PS5 has already surpassed 30 Million sold consoles, and the current projection will likely result in Sony’s latest console doing better than ever before.

Sony has also resolved supply issues for the PS5. The gaming giant was struggling with similar problems over the past two years, but the PS5 is now available worldwide, and Sony has started a new advertisement campaign to commemorate the occasion.

The current year is crucial for Xbox and its future in the gaming industry. With high-profile first-party releases like Starfield and Forza Motorsport coming in 2023, limited supply could prove to be damaging for the future of Xbox.

While the Xbox Series X is limited in supply, the Xbox Series S appears to be doing better than ever. Nearly every major retailer has the console in stock, and sites like Newegg are offering the Xbox Series S at lower than MSRP, for $250.

This article points out a pretty big issue here, the Xbox Series X still has not improved production enough to get to the same distribution or availability of the PS5, or at least close. While we don't know if things will change within the next few months, with this year finally (hopefully) having several big releases compared to last year, they need to have the consoles to sell. Series S can only sell so much to certain demographics overtime, and the Series is the flagship that people are waiting on, and is the other half of the Xbox Series generation. With only one half you will be capped for sales in general.

Sony and Nintendo have both separately announced and end to production and shelf-supply issues. Xbox is still playing catch up on production and it would be a problem if they release several potential hardware movers this year and half the hardware of the Xbox Series isn't there to take advantage of that. Even the new bundle for Xbox Series X, is not widely available although it does seem to be MS sacrificed some reg X production which has slowed, for the bundle. But that won't mean much for their bottom line if they can't produce too many of those units either.

It's not late February almost March where a few games will release on the AA end, hopefully Microsoft will have this problem fixed, or close, by May when the first major release of the year Redfall comes out.

At this point Microsoft has enough Series S out there to were they can afford to temporarily stop production and use that extra manufacturing to increase Series X units across skus. Some places are still selling the decorative holiday box (for the same price) from NOV/DEC shipments. While X and S don't overlap much, any extra resources put to X production can only be a good thing.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
With all the drama about the PS5 DE being hard to find because Sony wasnt focusing on it as far as stock, barely a peep was said about the Series X when it was clear MS was focusing more on the Series S.

Seems those that thought the Series S was gonna move mountains of consoles, MS also thought that too.

Now that the other platforms are getting a handle on stock....now its a problem for MS? And AFAIK its not gonna be as easy for MS to switch between the 2 like Sony can.

I mean...this is a problem MS created themselves.

Last edited:

j.k.2021

Banned
I have also noticed series x availability issues.It's quite funny that PlayStation supply is back to normal while Xbox is still facing supply issues.

Last edited:

zomboden

Banned
I noticed this as well. No Series X at my local Walmart and Gamestops. Lots of PS5 bundles.

This fall it felt like there was always series x at walmart. Now there's been none the last couple times I was up there.

Last edited:

j.k.2021

Banned
Series x was always supply constraint.Xbox put too much focus in series s availability as it reportedly took a single Series X to create two series s.Things should be normal now but they are still facing supply issues.

They will have stock by the time Redfall is out in May. They just released a Forza bundle for Series X .

Which isn't widely available and is clearly splitting resources between the bundle and the base console. The production overall is still low.

They did have a Forza bundle but like I said before it's not by mistake that they are limited MS said they was taking a $100 - $200 hit for this Xbox consoles so most likely they trying to hold off for for cheaper production right now

That interview is out of context, he was talking about consoles in general being loss leaders. Losing $100-$200 was the norm earlier on, I highly doubt with current margins they are going to be able to significantly reduce those loses without increasing the production.

With all the drama about the PS5 DE being hard to find because Sony wasnt focusing on it as far as stock, barely a peep was said about the Series X when it was clear MS was focusing more on the Series S.

Seems those that thought the Series S was gonna move mountains of consoles, MS also thought that too.

This is silly fantasy, Microsoft wasn't focusing on anything, they can't make enough X's. They warned before the holiday season after hinting at higher production, that there wouldn't be enough supply for the holiday.

Series S is only one part of Xbox Series, it was never in any position to sell by itself numbers that would make up for the X, especially given it's digital-only, and weaker. Series S sold as much as it could possibly sell over the holiday months, probably almost 90% of the sales.

onQ123

Which isn't widely available and is clearly splitting resources between the bundle and the base console. The production overall is still low.

That interview is out of context, he was talking about consoles in general being loss leaders. Losing $100-$200 was the norm earlier on, I highly doubt with current margins they are going to be able to significantly reduce those loses without increasing the production.

This is silly fantasy, Microsoft wasn't focusing on anything, they can't make enough X's. They warned before the holiday season after hinting at higher production, that there wouldn't be enough supply for the holiday.

Series S is only one part of Xbox Series, it was never in any position to sell by itself numbers that would make up for the X, especially given it's digital-only, and weaker. Series S sold as much as it could possibly sell over the holiday months, probably almost 90% of the sales.
No the hell it's not stop your BS

Phil said "Microsoft subsidizes the cost to the tune of $100 to $200 per console"

Today, Spencer said, Microsoft gives people choice in how much they’d like to spend if they want consoles. The company offers the $499 Xbox Series X and the less powerful $299 Xbox Series S. Microsoft subsidizes the cost to the tune of $100 to $200 per console, with the expectation that it will make the money back on sales of accessories and storefront purchases, he said. It’s up to gamers if they’d like to pay $10 or $15 per month for Game Pass subscriptions. They can also buy games outright, or play certain games for free.

Spencer said he doesn’t think Microsoft will be able to keep the prices of games constant forever. But they can provide impressive amounts of entertainment in comparison with other pursuits. “People can play video games for hundreds of hours,” he said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/26/mic...aming-somewhat-resilient-to-weak-economy.html

Topher

Gold Member
Forget looking for the non-bundles as Microsoft is clearly not shipping those. Only the Forza bundles are available. Personally I can drive down the road and walk into a store right now and pick one up.

1szyrsg.png

Of course, that is going to differ from area to area.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

It's been over 2 and a half years and we're hearing the same thing. What are they building with those series x's in the cloud? An entire country?
cloud game streaming servers

sony was probably doing the same for a while to a lesser degree

No the hell it's not stop your BS

Phil said "Microsoft subsidizes the cost to the tune of $100 to $200 per console"

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/26/mic...aming-somewhat-resilient-to-weak-economy.html

CNBC is literally taking the interview out of context.

Phils actual statement in context was not direclty about Xbox Series X as seen in the original video,

https://video-api.wsj.com/api-video/player/iframe.html?guid=195A5DB5-FF0F-48A8-90CD-9662D56A108C

He does not specify how much Xbox loses on any console.

And it's telling you skipped the other flawed part of your post, believing MS is purposefully holding back production when only more production would help them be able to reduce the costs. That amount was lost on on previous lost leading consoles and they reduced those losses by more production lowering the cost of components.

It's very unlikely that MS is holding back units waiting for a drop in price with no production. Doesn't make much sense. I also doubt MS is thinking of rapidly releasing a slim this year in tie for the big titles either.

It seems to be more limited demand than limited supply.

For the Series X? Lol?

Last edited:
Yeah, tell Eddie that both Xbox series consoles are losing about $100-200 per unit.

Seems that the PS5 DE still losing money (don’t know how much) and the disc version might just might break even.

As for the stock, the Forza bundles are available at a lot of countries

How stupid MS were they this gen? The whole XSS strategy was a double mistake. Devs spend less time on optimizing XSX and people can't even buy it. Appalling.

I think this is worse than both X360 + Kinect and XB1 launch. MS always fail somehow with their strategies. Here this is 100% Spencer's fault (and BTW he was already working for MS for XB1 launch).

What Nintendo and Sony are proving is that people still want their dedicated hardware (consoles) to play their games on it. Just produce enough XSX console damn it ! This is what people want, not the XSS that is easily available since 1, 2 years ago.

Last edited:

Ezekiel_

Banned
If you're in charge of production and have the choice between making two Ss or one X, I think, given that you'll see higher profits for software sold on the S since it's digital only, and can gouge players with expensive peripherals like the SSD cards - it's a no brainer.

I think this is worse than both X360 + Kinect and XB1 launch.

Xbox 360+Kinect wasn't at launch, Kinect launched on its own years after 360 launched and was a big success.

They want you to buy the bundle. Losing 100$ per console + losing money on GP ain’t really pushing the envelope for MS.

They would still be losing money because the bundle isn't increased production, it's just replacing the reg Series X water with some Series X bundle water. The cup still has the same amount of liquid.

If you're in charge of production and have the choice between making two Ss or one X, I think, given that you'll see higher profits for software sold on the S since it's digital only, and can gouge players with expensive peripherals like the SSD cards - it's a no brainer.

But if the S is constantly sold at a discount to try and cover the losses of no X sales, is it still higher profits?

Dane

I had realized weeks ago that the supply for SX here in Brazil seemed to be very low, some trusted sellers do get it but many others, including independent shops, don't, a friend who owns a store also confirmed that he hasn't got any in a while. Some people were posting in the forums that it was harder to find than PS5.

Last edited:

j.k.2021

Banned
They want you to buy the bundle. Losing 100$ per console + losing money on GP ain’t really pushing the envelope for MS.
More like they want people to buy series s and that's why it's always available.They are using all the soc to build series s.They need to realize that not everyone will be interested in series s.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Naw, no silly fantasy. I'm talking about something I saw about holiday 2021, not 2022.

I just cant find it now. Maybe some internet detective can.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
My 2 cents.

1. If MS is having severe supply issues they dropped the ball. Again. Other tech companies seem to have made deals and are doing better about getting supplies out.

2. People need to get over the idea that things are normal and consoles are just going to be sitting in retail outlets. It seems most supply is designated for online stores and it will probably remain that way.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This article doesn't work with the current narrative....

Hopefully xbox does a redesign of the mobo and chip asap to get more built. They're gonna need them in time for starfield.

Three

They are just increasing margins by
a) supplying it themselves. You can order from Xbox directly and supply is not limited.
b) shipping a bundle with an over a year old game to retailers at +$60.

Supply is there but the profit is not to ship everywhere. Once they lose less per console they will start pumping them out to retailers.

Top Bottom