• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X|S Best-Selling Console in the UK in March, Switch in 2nd and PS5 in 3rd - Sales (Christopher Dring)

Codes 208

Considering ive found more series X’s in the wild than even ps4’s all year so far, this kinda seems like a given.
Because they have been right more than a few times recently
that hardly detracts from their rough guesstimates. The site is generally inaccurate overall. Once again, they were a banned site for a reason.

John Wick

That's the one that really counts as it's not really supply constrained in any way and has been taking top spots everywhere for months.

Sony said they only had 2 mil for the quarter, and they blew a lot of that early, leaving everyone else to clean up later.

Will be interesting to see what thier next guidance is or if Xbox has managed to secure more wafers going forward.

That early lead could evaporate quickly if Sony is now investing into PS5 streaming chips like MS did last year.
The XSX is in short supply just like the PS5. What's saving MS is the Series S.

Kokoloko85

Considering ive found more series X’s in the wild than even ps4’s all year so far, this kinda seems like a given.

that hardly detracts from their rough guesstimates. The site is generally inaccurate overall. Once again, they were a banned site for a reason.

I dunno. When someone gives me basic harmless news and they are correct for the last few years Ill think its a decent source until proven otherwise.

Im sure when the PS6 comes and they give the correct info again people will say, but VGChARTZ….:messenger_dizzy:

Woopah

You do realize PS5 has outsold Series X by a large margin so far and both are selling record numbers?

Sony is having ZERO problems selling PS5s. They're having issues making enough because of the chip shortage. Every unit that comes off the factory line is immediately sold. Same with Series X until very recently. The only difference is Sony has made more PS5s and thus have the current lead.
To be fair they did say "this year". In Spain, the UK and the US Microsoft has had more supply than Sony in 2022.
Welcome to 16+ years ago, the guy is a grifter but if you're not British you'll not be aware of him being a small fish in a small pond. He's the UK's Jason Scehrier except not as good as baiting the woke for views.
Never heard of that guy. With 11k Twitter followers, I don't think many people do either. Jason S has 340k.
They do different jobs. Chris is much more industry / sales focused than Jason.
Christopher Dring crying into his keyboard typing that out
So true, I can imagine the gritted teethe and the need to spin it anyway he can.

These shortages suck though, I wonder how far ps5 is tracking behind ps4 now. I wonder when Sony will announce their numbers.
Where did the idea of Chris being Sony focused come from?

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Isn't this actually showing that decline in demand though? People were saying it was in stock for days because it was a huge supply drop yet sales were down from last year and the months before.

The Switch pretty much sold over 80 million units since it started becoming available on shelves or online.

So no, just being available for sale doesn’t translate to a ‘drop in demand’. Demand also isn’t static and goes up when compelling software is released.

Three

The Switch pretty much sold over 80 million units since it started becoming available on shelves or online.

So no, just being available for sale doesn’t translate to a ‘drop in demand’. Demand also isn’t static and goes up when compelling software is released.
has switch demand dropped or increased based on this 80 million unit figure over whatever period it was?

Being on shelves/online longer and overall selling less than before equals a decrease in demand. Not sure how else you want to see that.

A drop in demand doesn't mean sales seize. It means you sell less over the same period despite stock.
100k units per day vs 10k units per day is a drop in demand even if you sell your entire allocation or have less overall supply over the week or month.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

If you had spent 2 seconds to read the OP's post before replying, you wouldn't look like a clown. The GI.Biz info has been there since the topic was made.

No, all 3 consoles having limited stock, but Xbox having more availability than PS doesn't show a decline in demand.

I swear the hoops some of y'all feel the need to jump through. If mental gymnastics was an olympic event, this post would win gold. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Post said Vgchartz and was edited but carry on troll.

kingfey

Banned
has switch demand dropped or increased based on this 80 million unit figure over whatever period it was?

Being on shelves/online longer and overall selling less than before equals a decrease in demand. Not sure how else you want to see that.

A drop in demand doesn't mean sales seize. It means you sell less over the same period despite stock.
100k units per day vs 10k units per day is a drop in demand even if you sell your entire allocation or have less overall supply over the week or month.
You have to understand what demand is.
You are over-thinking this too much.

This is a new gen console. People who had 50m xbox one, will want to upgrade from their consoles. People who want xbox, will buy the new console.

As long as the console is available, it will sell.

You are thinking "nobody wants these consoles", which is plain false. Or else, it wouldn't have sold alot.

It needs to hit 40m-50m for the demand to slow it down.

S0ULZB0URNE

False, the source was the tweet. VGChartz was quoting the tweet.

The thread title and the content in the OP was different.
I'm sure a mod can confirm if need be.
bd8KTDy.jpg

Was in the post

kingfey

Banned
The thread title and the content in the OP was different.
I'm sure a mod can confirm if need be.
bd8KTDy.jpg

Was in the post
It was the tweet.
I deleted anything that related to VGChartz. Plus your chart is wrong. There is no UK there.

Ozriel

M$FT

You’ve essentially taken statements about series x stock in the US for March, slapped it beside Dring’s data that there was a YoY drop in March in the UK and used it to push an argument that there’s a drop in demand.

Strange.

Three

You’ve essentially taken statements about series x stock in the US for March, slapped it beside Dring’s data that there was a YoY drop in March in the UK and used it to push an argument that there’s a drop in demand.

Strange.
Where did I mention the US even?

What's strange are people trying to say a product not selling out as fast as before isn't a decrease in demand but greater supply when there wasn't greater supply. I mean it's ok, it probably applies to all the consoles. There is no need to get defensive about it.

Amin_Parker

As a hardcore Nintendo fan I am quite pleased to see Microsoft take the first place slot this month. I'm loving the competition Microsoft Is providing Nintendo this time around. Both companies released amazing Hardware this generation and Both Deserve recognition for what they're bringing to the industry. I'm truly loving Game Pass at the moment and the hybrid nature of the Switch is very refreshing.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Oh I know you did AFTER the fact.

Man, stop embarrassing yourself.

It takes 20 seconds to pull up an archived version of the page where the very first line of the OP is about Gameindustry.biz and the tweets are front and center. Read the OP and don't react to the topic title alone if you don't want to appear a fool.

161jcq.png

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Man, stop embarrassing yourself.

It takes 20 seconds to pull up an archived version of the page where the very first line of the OP is about Gameindustry.biz and the tweets are front and center. Read the OP and don't react to the topic title alone if you don't want to appear a fool.

161jcq.png
You still trolling along kid?

S0ULZB0URNE

You're embarrassing yourself.
UK sales data always and nearly exclusively comes from Chris and gamesindustry.biz

Everyone following slaes knows that.
Chartz or not is irrelevant anyways. No matter if they just use those tweets to make an article or use their own flawed (not even that bad anymore) estimates.
Nobody said it wasn't.
He had Vgchartz originally as a source period.
This really shouldn't be so hard.
I'm done talking about it.

kingfey

Banned
Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I still think it's gonna be 2:1 this gen lol, bookmark this idc.
It wont this gen. Its more like x360 vs ps3.
MS isnt making the same mistake as xbox one. That is why there was 2;1.

This gen, they seem to be heavily invested in, and have a casual console, which can keep up with ps5.

It will be boiled down to Europe. If MS can get in to that market, it will be super competitive.

Corndog

Banned
It was in stock for weeks at Walmart in the US. I expect a bigger month in the US unless demand has truly dropped. There is no other explanation if there was seemingly that much available stock but it's still down. That would mean in actuality people aren't buying what's there nearly as fast. I mean when you're paying 6+ dollars for gas out here when it's normally 2 or 3 depending on where you live ... that's not that outrageous a turn of events. Gaming spend would likely be the first thing to drop in times like this.

Who knows? Who cares? it is what it is. Xbox sold more in the UK this month. I expect the same in the US.
Considering this thread exists and you posted here you must.

Corndog

Banned
People were saying the Series X consoles were in stock for days because it was a massive supply of consoles. However, Xbox sales were actually down meaning it wasn't due to more supply this month. This is showing demand has decreased enough that they don't sell out in minutes and the ones that did were less than before. That is showing a decline in demand and not a change in supply or higher supply. Whatever floats your boat though.
Was Xbox down or overall console sales?

modiz

Welcome to 16+ years ago, the guy is a grifter but if you're not British you'll not be aware of him being a small fish in a small pond. He's the UK's Jason Scehrier except not as good as baiting the woke for views.
What is it with Dring? Can you tell us more about him? I'm not British.

nush

Gold Member
What is it with Dring? Can you tell us more about him? I'm not British.

He used to be the editor of the trade press newspaper CTW, as time went on and the internet took over most things written we positive and awards given to companies that still subscribed and more importantly advertised to that newspaper. Very blatant.

When Game almost went bankrupt (Game is basically Gamestop in UK) by their own greed mismanagement and poor customer service he ignored all the negatives. Wrote a heartfelt article but his the best defence he could come up with for them was "I won't have anywhere to browse games in a store while my wife goes shopping if Game closes", As if this guy actually had to pay for his games anyway. He probably just traded in all his free press copies of games.

Top Bottom