• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X|S Best-Selling Console in the UK in March, Switch in 2nd and PS5 in 3rd - Sales (Christopher Dring)

modiz

He used to be the editor of the trade press newspaper CTW, as time went on and the internet took over most things written we positive and awards given to companies that still subscribed and more importantly advertised to that newspaper. Very blatant.

When Game almost went bankrupt (Game is basically Gamestop in UK) by their own greed mismanagement and poor customer service he ignored all the negatives. Wrote a heartfelt article but his the best defence he could come up with for them was "I won't have anywhere to browse games in a store while my wife goes shopping if Game closes", As if this guy actually had to pay for his games anyway. He probably just traded in all his free press copies of games.
Yeah he plays the victim role while actively fueling console wars.
I mean, when Xbox outsold both Switch and PS he tweeted "PS5 overtook N64". Eh? Guess someone had to tell something positive around PlayStation. The exclusive interviews for and with Sony don't come for free I guess.

reksveks

Yeah he plays the victim role while actively fueling console wars.
I mean, when Xbox outsold both Switch and PS he tweeted "PS5 overtook N64". Eh? Guess someone had to tell something positive around PlayStation. The exclusive interviews for and with Sony don't come for free I guess.
You don't need to post much to actively fuel console wars, the fanboys will do that to any post.

He also compare the xbox to another console.

Ozriel

M$FT
He used to be the editor of the trade press newspaper CTW, as time went on and the internet took over most things written we positive and awards given to companies that still subscribed and more importantly advertised to that newspaper. Very blatant.

When Game almost went bankrupt (Game is basically Gamestop in UK) by their own greed mismanagement and poor customer service he ignored all the negatives. Wrote a heartfelt article but his the best defence he could come up with for them was "I won't have anywhere to browse games in a store while my wife goes shopping if Game closes", As if this guy actually had to pay for his games anyway. He probably just traded in all his free press copies of games.

This seems like such a flimsy grudge to try to tear down a man’s reputation for.

You people are strange.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Xbox is killing it. Starfield is going to be huge for them this year. MS knows supply chain wins wars. No matter the reason, getting more consoles out in the wild will shift the mindshare.
giphy.webp

CeeJay

has switch demand dropped or increased based on this 80 million unit figure over whatever period it was?

Being on shelves/online longer and overall selling less than before equals a decrease in demand. Not sure how else you want to see that.

A drop in demand doesn't mean sales seize. It means you sell less over the same period despite stock.
100k units per day vs 10k units per day is a drop in demand even if you sell your entire allocation or have less overall supply over the week or month.
That is one possible reason, not the only possible reason.

A massive drop of stock into shops meant that sales were the highest for the month, this in itself indicates high demand. Because YTD are down for all consoles means that supply has been lower for the year upto now.

Lets say that 50 people a month, every month are looking for a console and in the first few months of the year only 5 were available and sold straight away (the previous year there were 30). In the next month 100 were available. Those 50 people who were looking that month bought one and another 30 people on top heard by word of mouth that there was stock which still left 20 consoles sat on the shelf. There are always going to be a lot of customers who want a console (and would have bought one already if available) but are unable to at the moment when the stock is available. If the demand for a full year can be quantified it doesn't mean that when a huge drop of stock hits a starved market it will instantly sell that full amount. Yes you can state that demand for the stock was lower than the supply for that short period of time and yes if that supply continues at the same rate it probably will remain higher than the demand but it's a stretch to say that demand is decreasing because all the stock for a particular short period of time did not sell.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Xbox is killing it. Starfield is going to be huge for them this year. MS knows supply chain wins wars. No matter the reason, getting more consoles out in the wild will shift the mindshare.
giphy.webp

Amen.

Just need solid dates on a couple of other projects and we're golden.

Redfall, Motorsport, Hellblade 2 and another surprise release date or two for 2022 will make this another banger year like 2021.

Ozriel

M$FT
The month that the xbox seems to be coming into stock in stores and it outsells the PS5 nobody has stock of

Do people seriously get paid for stating the obvious? I want that job

The fact that you don’t like the news shouldn’t stop folks from reporting it.

It also outsold the Switch which usually doesn’t have stock issues, so there’s that.

You do yourself a disservice with this comment.

avin

Sales numbers mean zero until people can pick these machines up off store shelves

They don't mean "zero". Sure, demand is much higher than supply, and both high-end consoles are selling out. But given that high demand, sales numbers tell us what the different companies are doing in terms of supply lines, manufacturing, and so meeting demand.

avin

Mephisto40

The fact that you don’t like the news shouldn’t stop folks from reporting it.

It also outsold the Switch which usually doesn’t have stock issues, so there’s that.

You do yourself a disservice with this comment.
Hold it right there fanboy

If one console is available to buy and the other isnt, it's just common sense one is going to outsell the other

And nobody is buying switches any more, the consoles basically dead at this point, it's had like 2 noteworthy games released for it in the past 12 months

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

If one console is available to buy and the other isnt, it's just common sense one is going to outsell the other

And nobody is buying switches any more, the consoles basically dead at this point, it's had like 2 noteworthy games released for it in the past 12 months

They call it supply and demand. You can have all the demand in the world but if you aren't supplying the shit then you done funked up lol. Sony, with their absolutely massive lead last gen should be doing everything they possibly can to ensure stock is available and going into the right hands. I'm not sure what is causing issues but I imagine it's a multitude of things. I can't imagine how expensive it must be to ship a ps5 vs a series X and s. Shipping costs are through the roof and only fitting X amount on a pallet vs Y must be adding even more costs to what is already a box that is larger and using a lot of materials. WiFi 6 cards, the large heat sink. It's like Sony has been attacked from every angle at the start of this gen up until now.

The series S has saved Microsofts ass plus the smaller footprint on the series X packaging. Using off the shelf name parts and standard wi fi will have helped too.

I would love to see a bom and shipping costs breakdown etc for all the boxes as of today. Just out of interest.

Woopah

The UK isn't the Switch's best market and it has definitely passed its peak, but it is far far from dead. There's a good chance it ships another 20 million globally in 2022.

Last edited:

Three

It's because they have Switch selling officially (not scalpers) for a higher price than launch which is ridiculous for such an old system, people aren't stupid. They did it knowing it will hurt demand but help with supply.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
One month of sales and people are getting ready to pop the champagne.

The same people were demanding UK software sale threads were closed 😁
physical software sale are almost irrelevant at this point or at least they don't give the idea of how a software is selling respect the platform at all. hw Sales on the other hand although Ms is mainly interested in gamepass they are at least more interesting to follow. Having said that I repeat Microsoft would prefer 1 subscription instead of 1 console sale every day of the week

Last edited:
They call it supply and demand. You can have all the demand in the world but if you aren't supplying the shit then you done funked up lol. Sony, with their absolutely massive lead last gen should be doing everything they possibly can to ensure stock is available and going into the right hands. I'm not sure what is causing issues but I imagine it's a multitude of things. I can't imagine how expensive it must be to ship a ps5 vs a series X and s. Shipping costs are through the roof and only fitting X amount on a pallet vs Y must be adding even more costs to what is already a box that is larger and using a lot of materials. WiFi 6 cards, the large heat sink. It's like Sony has been attacked from every angle at the start of this gen up until now.

The series S has saved Microsofts ass plus the smaller footprint on the series X packaging. Using off the shelf name parts and standard wi fi will have helped too.

I would love to see a bom and shipping costs breakdown etc for all the boxes as of today. Just out of interest.
This can't be overstated enough.
Same disk drive as Xbox One X|S
Same southbride
Just a slightly revised WLAN modules compared to last gen
Standard SSDs

And the Series S could be sold for $199 with not even half the loss of the PS5 Digital Editon at $399.
Probably just 2 more years and Series S at $199 would break even.

Hezekiah

Banned
physical software sale are almost irrelevant at this point or at least they don't give the idea of how a software is selling respect the platform at all. hw Sales on the other hand although Ms is mainly interested in gamepass they are at least more interesting to follow. Having said that I repeat Microsoft would prefer 1 subscription instead of 1 console sale every day of the week
The two are interlinked. Not many people are going to subscribe to GPU to play soley on their phone/tablet, and I don't see GP taking off to the same extent in the PC sphere.

reksveks

They don’t post article about hardware I believe unless it is some milestone.
Only software is posted weekly.

They talk about hardware in the anual articles.

Chris shares hardware data in Twitter.
There is a monthly hardware article every month posted since 2020.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

So the narrative now to discredit Xbox is suddenly nobody is buying Switches in the UK? So if Switch sells bad there it means Xbox is too.

Well, I guess that's a better attempt than a few days ago when one user claimed it was VGchartz stats, so dont believe it. When it really was Gameindustry data posted on VGchartz's site.

twilo99

Their order from TSMC must've been enormous because we still have to account for all the servers blades they need for cloud gaming...

twilo99

And the Series S could be sold for $199 with not even half the loss of the PS5 Digital Editon at $399.

If they can get it down to $249 this year it will be amazing.. $199 is very aggressive but maybe in two years

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If they can get it down to $249 this year it will be amazing.. $199 is very aggressive but maybe in two years
Game makers seem to keep console prices high since the One/PS4 era started.

The days of MS, Sony or Nintendo dumping consoles for $99 or $149 are long gone. I remember seeing super slim PS2s selling for $80 at the end of its cycle. And 360 Arcade editions for I think $120.

ethomaz

Banned
Their order from TSMC must've been enormous because we still have to account for all the servers blades they need for cloud gaming...
It is about half of Sony has for PS5.
TSMC is already at limit... nobody can order more than what they already have.
And Server Blades are like 1-2k chips from over 500k produced per month.

Last edited:

reksveks

It is about half of Sony has for PS5.
TSMC is already at limit... nobody can order more than what they already have.
And Server Blades are like 1-2k chips from over 500k produced per month.
I was going to ask if we have recent sources on that information.

ethomaz

Banned
What weird math.

PS5 disc is sold at profit since June 2021.
PS4 DE is sold at loss.

So the actual cost of these consoles if you discount the disc is below $480.
Let's say Sony has $10 profit in disc version... so $470 cost.
That means Sony loss $70 per console DE sold.

Do you really believes Series S can be sold at $199 with a loss smaller than $70?

ethomaz

Banned
That was in 2020. 2 years ago. Both total wafer capacity and allocation if very different now.
TSMC is working on limit since 2020.
The situation didn't change.

And MS shipped less units to UK in 2022 than 2021 (in all three months).
It got the top spot this month selling less than March 2021.

Care to explain that weird math about production increased? It doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I was going to ask if we have recent sources on that information.
The info is from early 2021... I don't think anything changed... I mean TSMC doesn't have more production to sell since that time.
And these contracts are made for long term.

MS could only increase their piece if TSMC has space for that.

Plus the UK sales for Xbox Series S|X are lower than last year.
It is down in number of units.
MS shipped less units this year to UK than last year.

And people come with the ideia the production increased? That doesn't make sense.
Using UK numbers without context them MS decreased the production but there is the whole world outside... probably MS shipped in 2022 more to others places and less to UK.

Last edited:
I wonder if Sony might be starving for SSD chips. I imagine a huge pile of processors just sitting in a pile waiting for other parts before they can put it all together.

ethomaz

Banned
Just to add.

If I have to guess TSMC is producing less in 2022 than 2021.
And that affect all their clients... the possibility of Sony and MS have less chips this year (2022) than 2021 is not out of question.

If what Sony contracted from TSMC in 2021 was shipped Sony should had sold around 16 million in 2021 but TSMC couldn't supply enough so Sony ended selling like 12 million units in 2021.

That is the reality of TSMC.

PS. Sony and TSMC are building a new Factory but that will take time... and the issue is not the TSMC's factories capacity but the material... the silicon is scarse.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I wonder if Sony might be starving for SSD chips. I imagine a huge pile of processors just sitting in a pile waiting for other parts before they can put it all together.
The issue is the APU I'm afraid.
That doesn't mean SSD silicon are in low amount in the industry too.

And it is not a Sony/MS direct issue.
Silicon are escarce so chip production is heavy compromised and TSMC can do basically nothing about that.

That is the same for the whole industry... not just CPU makers... even focused chips for specific tasks are in low amount... here in Brasil car manufactures are producing way lower than normal because they can't get enough chip that goes inside the car to control the things... and they are very small chips like module to control the ignition.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
The article says that console shipments are down year to date, it doesn't specifically say March itself is down. If they are making more Series X consoles then the split may have changed between Series S and X, you get more S consoles out of a wafer so that needs to be taken into account as well

ethomaz

Banned
The article says that console shipments are down year to date, it doesn't specifically say March itself is down. If they are making more Series X consoles then the split may have changed between Series S and X, you get more S consoles out of a wafer so that needs to be taken into account as well
The split probably changed somehow in middle 2021 I believe.
That is true and you could see the number of Series S started to be way more than Series X in most data.

And the console down from what I understand if for March too.
Switch, PS5 and Xbox sold less in March 2022 than March 2021.

He said "March looks like it's been another tough month for console stock in the UK."

Last edited:
Top Bottom