• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X|S has finally sold 2 million units in the UK in 128 weeks; 24 weeks slower than Xbox One.

DaGwaphics

So ... the same numbers? 😄
Cringe Reaction GIF

I'm pretty sure both Xbox and PS would have shaved some weeks off here if production was able to keep up with demand in the first 12 months or so.

Some of the posts in this thread are truly hilarious given the fact that PS5 was 23 weeks slower to reach this milestone than PS4. I guess that extra week makes all the difference in the world of "concern". :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Woopah

It's all divisible by 6. What could this mean???
The numbers Mason!
Are Dring and gamesindustry MS PR mouth? It should have never being compared to the Switch which had less holiday sales in the first place.
Right? Also, those two consoles aren't even direct competitor.

Either compare it with a PS5 (if you want to compare it with direct competitors, launching in the same time frame), or compare it with Xbox One (the last console launched by the same company).
Wouldn't a comparison to the other Xbox consoles be more apt?
Switch is one of the Series' big competitors. In the full article they compare it to other Xbox platforms and the PS5.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Cringe Reaction GIF

I'm pretty sure both Xbox and PS would have shaved some weeks off here if production was able to keep up with demand in the first 12 months or so.

Some of the posts in this thread are truly hilarious given the fact that PS5 was 23 weeks slower to reach this milestone than PS4. I guess that extra week makes all the difference in the world of "concern". :messenger_tears_of_joy:
PS5 was severely short in supply but Xbox never seriously was. Especially the Series S was almost always available.

Supply was exceeding demand so much that Series S sold at a discounted price for $229 for many months.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

The Series X is readily available now and the The Series S has been heavily discounted we are not seeing the huge boosts in sales for the Series consoles like we are for the PS5 in the UK.

Going a year without major first-party releases will do that to you. Especially since the first-party drought on X1 was so well documented. That's the biggest thing they need to correct, obviously.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
The Series X is readily available now and the The Series S has been heavily discounted we are not seeing the huge boosts in sales for the Series consoles like we are for the PS5 in the UK.
Discount is useless without first party games.

XBS have been out of AAA games for 1 year.

Until they put out those AAA games, their discount is useless.

Poltz

Going a year without major first-party releases will do that to you. Especially since the first-party drought on X1 was so well documented. That's the biggest thing they need to correct, obviously.
So supply for Series consoles is sorted now in the UK?

Last edited:
Remember the Xbox One came off the back of the Xbox 360, people where excited for the next installment, it was coming off the back of an incredibly well received product.
Do I misremember it, but didn't the 360 gen already put too much focus on Kinect, which did sell well but was disliked by the early adopters of the platforms, the cod gears dudebros? Also while Sony launched Journey and TLoU in the last years, MS did not release much at the end. The early start, network abilities and better third party games advantage was practically lost later in the gen, hence it got so close worldwide and momentum was already not in their favor even before XBone was even revealed.
Imho I would have thought any goodwill 360 had, should have been already used up prior the launch of Xbone, especially with the PR disaster it was right from the start. It selling better than the XSX family feels bonkers to me. Unless thousands moved from Xbone to PC, whcih would not hurt MS much, or many felt burned with that previous gen and XBX now pays the price, which would hurt MS.
I guess it either will take the entire gen to repair it, or maybe start to gain some momentum with Starfield and hopefully also other titles that all don't redfall. Selling below Xbone would be weird even when releasing nothing great from now on.

DaGwaphics

Discount is useless without first party games.

XBS have been out of AAA games for 1 year.

Until they put out those AAA games, their discount is useless.

Absolutely. When you look at AAA third-party games from the perspective of new console buyers, they can get that on both. Thus the decision still comes down to I can get the major third-parties and the first-parties of the console I choose, when the cupboard is bare over on one side it is definitely going to swing sales.

feynoob

Banned
So people who had an Xbox One would buy a PS5 because of the marketing for Hogwarts Legacy?
No, people are not going to buy xbs for that game alone.
The logo marketing is there to deceive regular people in to buying your console. And since MS has no marketing rights, they can't advertise xss for that game.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

Obviously around here, this is cause for great concern, but a less pessimistic take might be that given the supply constraints on Series consoles, outpacing the Switch doesn't seem like the worst place in the world. The below article leads with this being faster than Nintendo's console and notes "It's worth noting that the Xbox Series S and X, in particular the X model, has suffered from significant stock issues caused by component shortages during the first two years on the market." But there are console wars to be fought, I guess.

Fastest-Selling Consoles To 2m (GfK data)
PosPlatformRelease YearLaunch PriceWeeks to 2mRevenue at 2m
1Nintendo Wii2006£18057£358m
2PS22000£29960£469m
3PS42013£37575£700m
4PS52020£42598£919m
4PS32007£31898£638m
6Xbox One2013£450104£726m
7Xbox 3602005£254110£507m
8PlayStation 11995£299114£179m
9Xbox Series S and X2020£386128£696m
10Nintendo Switch2017£285140£279m
11Xbox2002£295162£280m

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
Going a year without major first-party releases hurts. Also breaking that drought with Redfall, saying that great games won't help you, and saying that losing the previous generation probably doomed you doesn't help either. It will be interesting to see if this showcase even moves the sales needle at all.

feynoob

Banned
Going a year without major first-party releases hurts. Also breaking that drought with Redfall, saying that great games won't help you, and saying that losing the previous generation probably doomed you doesn't help either. It will be interesting to see if this showcase even moves the sales needle at all.
It needs to be 11/10.:pie_winking:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

I don't see why it would, people won't buy a console in June to play a game in September. If the showcase generates enough positive press (and they'll need to announce release dates for games that look great to really do that) then presumably the sales will pick up a little, but nothing like what will happen if Starfield launches to great acclaim.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Do I misremember it, but didn't the 360 gen already put too much focus on Kinect, which did sell well but was disliked by the early adopters of the platforms, the cod gears dudebros? Also while Sony launched Journey and TLoU in the last years, MS did not release much at the end. The early start, network abilities and better third party games advantage was practically lost later in the gen, hence it got so close worldwide and momentum was already not in their favor even before XBone was even revealed.
Imho I would have thought any goodwill 360 had, should have been already used up prior the launch of Xbone, especially with the PR disaster it was right from the start. It selling better than the XSX family feels bonkers to me. Unless thousands moved from Xbone to PC, whcih would not hurt MS much, or many felt burned with that previous gen and XBX now pays the price, which would hurt MS.
I guess it either will take the entire gen to repair it, or maybe start to gain some momentum with Starfield and hopefully also other titles that all don't redfall. Selling below Xbone would be weird even when releasing nothing great from now on.

Keep in mind most of the concerns and goodwill being cashed in would only be for people like us who watch gaming news and saw the TV TV TV TV live streams.

a majority of players arnt like that, where an enthusiast forum and such have an enthusiasts perspective. The Kinect was a failure for gamers, but plenty of regular people enjoyed it as long as they didn't take it too seriously, in the same way people just kept playing Wii Sports over and over for Wii.

As such it took the One generation for all that good will from the prior generation to be cashed in.

gothmog

Gold Member
It depends on the way they do their showcase.
Last year, they fucked up by saying within 12 month.

People are too critical at this point.
Not sure what you mean. There was no way to know they fucked up with the 12 month thing until like 8-10 months later when you realize they were not going to hit the mark.

PeteBull

Time to drop kinect again, phil lvl of genuity/sincerenity is kept all the way from that interview in first half of 2013 to today so first half of 2023, 10years streak xD

feynoob

Banned
Not sure what you mean. There was no way to know they fucked up with the 12 month thing until like 8-10 months later when you realize they were not going to hit the mark.
They were patting themselves, when they announced those dates.
Had they not done that, people will have been less tolerable.

gothmog

Gold Member
They were patting themselves, when they announced those dates.
Had they not done that, people will have been less tolerable.
I highly doubt people are going to be less critical if they don't announce target dates/quarters at the showcase.

Top Bottom