• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X|S has finally sold 2 million units in the UK in 128 weeks; 24 weeks slower than Xbox One.

Fail The Simpsons GIF

Alan Wake

Remember the Xbox One came off the back of the Xbox 360, people where excited for the next installment, it was coming off the back of an incredibly well received product.

However the Xbox Series was coming off the back of the Xbox One, the question asked at launch was "how could it be worse?"

I was using hyperbole to poke fun at Series S being the red headed step child of the Series.

And Switch was coming off the back of the Wii U. But somehow Nintendo were able to get people to just ignore it even existed.

Damn, the Xbox Series revenue is less than half the revenue of the Xbox One. This means it was selling for peanuts and yet it sold slower than the Xbox One, which was considered a disaster for MS.

What a catastrophe!
I mean...Xbox division has never been this profitable right? Maybe selling consoles isn't their main goal anymore to be in business?

I'm saying this as someone that doesn't even care for the brand...

How was supply in the UK? I thought I’d read awhile back that there were very little consoles available for most of 2022. Or was it like the US where the X is rarely available but the S is everywhere?

Mr Moose

Some people in here are confused why the tweet mentions Switch. It's because that was the next one to reach 2M, If Switch was faster it would probably say OG Xbox instead.
How was supply in the UK? I thought I’d read awhile back that there were very little consoles available for most of 2022. Or was it like the US where the X is rarely available but the S is everywhere?
Easy to get Series X for at least half of 2022. Series S has always been easy to get.

Alan Wake

If that game doesn't move their consoles, then there is a big issue for them.

Thing is, it feels like they're behind on marketing nowadays too. They need to make a huge push on marketing Starfield and make Xbox Series X bundles like crazy.

Alan Wake

I put that down to people not even realising the Wii U was a seperate console to the Wii.

There were probably quite a few of them. But still, it shows it is possible to come back from a complete disaster. I doubted Nintendo would be able to do that, and wasn't impressed at all when they revealed the Switch. Luckily I am not paid to analyze the market, lol.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever

Obviously around here, this is cause for great concern

Fastest-Selling Consoles To 2m (GfK data)
PosPlatformRelease YearLaunch PriceWeeks to 2mRevenue at 2m
10Nintendo Switch2017£285140£279m
11Xbox2002£295162£280m
What concern? All i see here is Switch barely competing with the Original XBox in UK for sales. The same XBox that got outsold by PS1 for the years both were on the market.
Who's your god now Nintendo fans?

No no - too late, I can't hear you anymore
not listening stephen colbert GIF

Not bad considering how bad the games lineup is? So many used to love the 360 back in the days, they had everything going for them, then for some reason they stopped investing in games. Idiots

Last edited:
Xbox hardware business is selling like shit.

Phil Spencer is too busy concerning himself with how he can make gamers sell their PS5s, instead of realizing that you need to have good FP-exclusive games to sell your own base console at all.... and when you instead give your mediocre games out for free on PC on a sub-service, it kinda kills the value proposition of your plastic box.

Eotheod

Xbox hardware business is selling like shit.

Phil Spencer is too busy concerning himself with how he can make gamers sell their PS5s, instead of realizing that you need to have good FP-exclusive games to sell your own base console at all.... and when you instead give your mediocre games out for free on PC on a sub-service, it kinda kills the value proposition of your plastic box.
Stop please with the fucking PC dooming. It quite literally does nothing to release games on PC, for both Sony and Microsoft, as the entry cost is significantly higher then console. What they are instead doing is capitalising on extra revenue for smaller effort margins, and where console players will buy on console no matter what.

Seriously, no one in this forum who has argued PC releases should be delayed has ever given a reasonable argument as to why that's a good thing. It's always been "well I don't like that my console of plastic doesn't feel special" when that special feeling isn't being diminished at all. It's like owning a console somehow requires your brain to be smoothed out going by the logic of some people on here.

I swear these enthusiasts forums are literally echo chambers where you check your brain cells out at the door in favour of feverish masturbation. It's pretty obvious Sony and Nintendo are doing well, and even though there's all this doom around Microsoft they are still doing fine enough. Needs to be less console camp chest beating and more consumer enthusiasm on outcomes that are actually good for the wallet and for the consumer.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Me: What a strangely worded thread title, doesn't appear to be copied from the article linked, so I'm curious what other opinions the OP has shared.
OP's post history:
UnkemptTemptingChuckwalla-size_restricted.gif

Me: Ah.

In any case, looks like the lack of first party bangers is slowing down the Xbox Series consoles. With that said, shifting 2 million units is still good, doubly so with literally nothing but Game Pass driving adoption. I'm curious to see how hardware sales trend when Starfield and Forza Motorsport land later this year, and whether or not they trigger an uptick or not.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Slower than the Xbox One is crazy.

I mean, I'm not really surprised. It will take a whole generation of good will to really gain the trust of consumers after that whole mess. Those who didn't buy XONE and bought a PS4 instead, will likely buy a PS5 based on what they got from PS4, so its up to MS to market that things will be different this time around and I expected it to kinda start worse then XONE as that backlash is still there, I think when they start putting out new content, you'll slowly see the results from it either ending of this generation or start of the next.

If not, I don't really know the point of MS staying in gaming in regards to hardware and maybe they should strongly consider just being a 3rd party. It might mean gaming as a whole doesn't trust this publisher enough to buy its hardware based on past offenses. Maybe going from 360 RROD to XONE DRM madness isn't a thing that is just correctable within 1 generation. The fact that the attempt to buy Activision wasn't even enough to change this is wild, what else could they really do? COD is one of the biggest IP on the planet right now.

Expected as all xbox series games are on pc whereas it wasn't like that on the xbox one.

Very simple.
Yup. You don't need an Xbox console to buy and play Xbox games. Console is just one of many different ways of accessing Xbox titles. No other competitor is doing that. People seem to want a console sales fight when MS gave that up last generation after losing every single other previous console sales race.

Brucey

I'm also curious about what happened to the person that claimed Xbox Series consoles were already at over 20 million sold worldwide due to excellent US and UK results.
Henry Panic assured me it was sales outside of the floundering US and UK markets, rest of world regions where they were pulling above their expected weight, that would cause them to exceed sales expectations.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Yup. You don't need an Xbox console to buy and play Xbox games. Console is just one of many different ways of accessing Xbox titles. No other competitor is doing that. People seem to want a console sales fight when MS gave that up last generation after losing every single other previous console sales race.

It will be easier for non Xbox studios games to not come to Xbox though. The smaller the userbase the easier it gets for PlayStation to sign console exclusives, and less attention Xbox consoles get during development.

The strategy is not without consequences. Let alone the fact a focus on GP means lower software sales on console.

Top Bottom