• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X|S has finally sold 2 million units in the UK in 128 weeks; 24 weeks slower than Xbox One.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Me: What a strangely worded thread title, doesn't appear to be copied from the article linked, so I'm curious what other opinions the OP has shared.
OP's post history:
UnkemptTemptingChuckwalla-size_restricted.gif

Me: Ah.

Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

3liteDragon

To be fair, Nintendo has different SKUs of Switch and Sony has two PS5's.
The PS5 SKUs don’t have vastly different specs other than the disc drive, same thing with the Switch other than the OLED screen.

That’s not the case with the Series consoles but they lump them together anyway for higher numbers, just imagine how abysmal it would’ve been if it was just the Series X.

Poltz

The PS5 SKUs don’t have vastly different specs other than the disc drive, same thing with the Switch other than the OLED screen.

That’s not the case with the Series consoles but they lump them together anyway for higher numbers, just imagine how abysmal it would’ve been if it was just the Series X.
Different specs but play the same games library so it’s fine IMO. Like the Xbox One/Xbox One X and PS4/PS4 Pro.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Hmmm….I don’t know. For some demented reason Microsoft are still hangin in there in Japan where they have always performed terrible.
The "Microsoft leaving the UK market" is meant to be a joke because some kids and fanboys keep saying that Microsoft will leave the UK because the UK regulatory body blocked their acquisition of Activision-Blizzard-King.

Stare-Bear

Banned
Yup. You don't need an Xbox console to buy and play Xbox games. Console is just one of many different ways of accessing Xbox titles. No other competitor is doing that. People seem to want a console sales fight when MS gave that up last generation after losing every single other previous console sales race.
Eh…Microsoft always comes out (or used to when they were “winning”) with statements like “the first to 20 million sales wins the generation”.

...it seems somebody has forgotten the existance of an exclusively portable Switch....

Three

Yeah, you can make your assumptions alot more simple by fixing the arpu to the rrp.
s8T9jm7.png

Also given the series s seems to be more discounted, the percentage should skew more to the Series X if I ain't being slow.

Blue screen probably isn't the issue.
This isn't an arpu. It's a bizarre "launch" price they've given. If you look at the "revenue at 2m" using the launch price it doesn't add up either. It would give something bizarre like an average of £142.5 per unit. I'm not sure what they've done.

Last edited:

reksveks

This isn't an arpu. It's a bizarre "launch" price they've given. If you look at the "revenue at 2m" using the launch price it doesn't add up either. It would give something bizarre like an average of £142.5 per unit. I'm not sure what they've done.

They have fixed the table in the article so it's revenue is 696m.

Maybe worth updating the OP Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 .

The arpu would be 348 which would be around 50/50 if we are ignoring all other factors like bundles and discounts.

Woopah

Faster than Switch?!

UK looks like Sony land pretty much.
UK is one of the most competitive major markets. Its not really any "company-land"

Microsoft lumps SKUs together in the exact same way that Sony and Nintendo do.

Alan Wake

It's still the Xbox Series of consoles, so it wouldn't make sense to separate them. Just like the sales of PS4 and PS4 Pro as well as the Xbox One, One S and One X were added. (However, it would be interesting to see the split between the two, seems the Series S did well at the beginning but not so much anymore.)

Series X is available on amazon without invite.

Wasn't that already the case with the FH5 bundle, which seemed to be regularly in stock on Amazon?

Discount is useless without first party games.

XBS have been out of AAA games for 1 year.

Until they put out those AAA games, their discount is useless.

I see people saying this a lot but Sony hasn't had a big 1P release for PS5 so far this year and they're breaking sales records.

It's not JUST lack of 1P games why Xbox sales have been slowing down heavily. It's a multitude of factors: lack of perceived value in Game Pass, Day 1 of all 1P games on PC making buying a console increasingly redundant, lack of marketing rights to big 3P AAA releases, lack of marketing for the console by Microsoft in the traditional advertising spaces, bad messaging, general dilution of brand perception over the past 13 years among various gamers, bad pricing, etc.

People want to simplify the problem to just lack of 1P games and lack of Series X units, but it's not.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
I see people saying this a lot but Sony hasn't had a big 1P release for PS5 so far this year and they're breaking sales records.

It's not JUST lack of 1P games why Xbox sales have been slowing down heavily. It's a multitude of factors: lack of perceived value in Game Pass, Day 1 of all 1P games on PC making buying a console increasingly redundant, lack of marketing rights to big 3P AAA releases, lack of marketing for the console by Microsoft in the traditional advertising spaces, bad messaging, general dilution of brand perception over the past 13 years among various gamers, bad pricing, etc.

People want to simplify the problem to just lack of 1P games and lack of Series X units, but it's not.
Sony has marketing rights for some big games and timed exclusives to cover their gap holes for the first party.

Hogwarts legacy sold a lot of PS5, due to that marketing promotion.

That is the difference between Xbox and PS.

Best example would be first 2 years of Xbox one vs this console first 2 years. Those 3rd party exclusive games helped the console alot.

Luigi Mario

Henry Panic assured me it was sales outside of the floundering US and UK markets, rest of world regions where they were pulling above their expected weight, that would cause them to exceed sales expectations.
Yes, he actually claimed that, unfortunately he got banned though.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Yeah but more importantly, how many HOURS have gamers been gaming on these consoles? Surely that is more important than sales numbers, right?

Xbox one had pretty good 3rd party exclusive games.
Could you name these? And I am not being a jackass, or at least I am not TRYING to be a jackass. My view on the XBONE is that the exclusive games for it are slim to none. I tend to collect games, and as such, I usually make purchases a generation behind, and currently I am operating on the notion that I should just skip the XBONE as I could cover the 3rd party games with PS4, and there arent any XBONE games I should pick up. I can think of one, Sunset Overdrive, but that is not enough for me to buy the console, etc.

feynoob

Banned
Could you name these? And I am not being a jackass, or at least I am not TRYING to be a jackass. My view on the XBONE is that the exclusive games for it are slim to none. I tend to collect games, and as such, I usually make purchases a generation behind, and currently I am operating on the notion that I should just skip the XBONE as I could cover the 3rd party games with PS4, and there arent any XBONE games I should pick up. I can think of one, Sunset Overdrive, but that is not enough for me to buy the console, etc.

Three

Titanfall and Quantum Break. Those are the near launch 3rd party exclusives I can think of outside of Sunset Overdrive. They also had others like PvZ Garden Warfare as timed only though.

Killer8

It's FIFA and Call of Duty land and that's a big reason why the cockblock by the CMA has to sting so hard for Microsoft. If they got the deal through and COD eventually became an Xbox exclusive series, the UK would be Microsoft's for the taking. Right now, it's all too easy for the casual gamer to just go PlayStation each gen. "love me COD, love me FIFA, love me PlayStation" There's no separation between the three currently. Yes that's likely stereotyping the fine denizens of those isles, but these two games sit in the sales charts basically all year round. They are incredibly important.

Alan Wake

As you know, Xbox One had some exclusive third party titles, but most of them were good, not amazing, and some of them were even mediocre. Quantum Break was not a new Alan Wake, Sunset Overdrive was fun but forgettable, ReCore had some fun combat but overall pretty mediocre, Ryse was a stunner but lacked in gameplay. I had some fun with Dead Rising 3 and 4, though. What else... Ori I guess?

I actually bought the Sunset Overdrive bundle, but not for the game itself but for the white console and because I wanted to play Rise of the Tomb Raider, which was a one year time console exclusive on Xbox One.

Top Bottom